Straight to the point:

Many of you cats out there need to learn to spell, and use proper grammar.

**They're parking their cars over there.

**I advise you to seek the best advice.

**His loose grip caused him to lose the ball.

**He threw the ball through the fence.

**You're painting your house.

**That new OS is the worst, now his call quality is worse.

**hey gang i know this was searched but i couldn fin anything about it and so my gfs bb is acting up and im like get a iphone but she dont want that stuff so i like order pizza and need to know if this will affect my data if i order using the web so will that mean the new OS is coming cause vzw told me so. <<<<< Waaaaaayyyy too much of this run-on-nonsense-sh*t gang.

More can be found here: GCSE English: Confusions

Show some pride people. You may think this doesn't follow you and appear in your everyday life, but I guarantee you it does. I interact with government agencies and private firms across the country on a daily basis, and this "lax" attitude toward written communication rears itself through weak attempts at formal, written correspondence, and even reveals itself in some of these person's ability to talk sometimes.

Acronyms and abbreviations are part of streamlined, efficient communication in an environment that demands quick context, such as IM or SMS.

Writing a letter, memo, email or even a post on the Internet is NOT the same, even in a casual environment. Here is a prime example as to why:

We've all received those emails about the Nigerian banking scam right? Aside from the "too-good-to-be-true" factor, what was the other revealing factor in these messages that (should have) raised the red flag: spelling, grammar and context. Right? You didn't take it seriously even though deep in the recesses of your mind you may have wished you were that lucky (believe me, I wish I was sometimes).

Look at those that communicate well, and gauge their popularity and the amount of credibility you give them based on that one factor alone. Look at those that do not communicate well, and how easily you're able to dismiss them.

There are a lot of smart people here, and the younger generation I observe while roaming through cyberspace, could run techno-circles around me. Of course, this is likely happening already and I just don't know it because I don't understand the rambling most of the time. Don't rely solely on "spell-check" to make your point.

Does this mean that proper spelling and grammar will automatically make you right? No. It does, however, lend itself to legitimate discussion in all forums (virtual, real, public, private) of debate and discourse.

It disturbs me greatly that it has become casually accepted that misspelling and inability to generate cogent thoughts is okay, just because "it's the Internet".

Now that I have that off my keyboard, go forth and flame if desired.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Gawain; 05-17-11 at 10:48 AM.
    05-10-09 11:57 AM
    Can a mod sticky this? !
    05-10-09 11:58 AM
    I agree with you 100%.
    05-10-09 12:16 PM
    I am part of the younger generation, and the terrible spelling and grammar around here really bugs me. I'm glad that I'm not the only one around here that thinks that.
    05-10-09 12:18 PM
    Can a mod sticky this? !
    That would be nice.
    05-10-09 12:19 PM
    You have no idea how much I agree with you, or the amount of
    time I spend railing against the corruption and bastardization of
    the English language, the laziness in which people communicate
    and the number of people that find bad grammar, "text speak"
    and such acceptable.

I also know that no amount of ranting is going to change any of it.
    05-10-09 12:20 PM
    I really don't care about the whole "your, you're, there, their, they're" thing. I know what people mean, and I know the proper one to use if I was typing properly... I hate people who type like as lyke... Or wait as w8... I think everyones done that before though
    05-10-09 12:25 PM
    Straight to the point.

Why do people even care about how people type? As long as they get their point across, it shouldn't be an issue! Get over it!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 12:30 PM
    Skullgame, that's fine if you're communicating directly with a friend. However, when it's available for the general population to view, point blank: you make yourself look like an *****.

Branden, I'm with you.

05-10-09 01:05 PM
    Wow this is a sensitive topic... So much hostility
    05-10-09 01:11 PM
    To the OP:

Some people express themselves "correctly". Some people express themselves "terribly". Most people fall somewhere in the middle.

You read terrible sentences and perhaps think "lazy and uneducated".
    Someone reading your sentences might think "educated show off".

Who is right? Neither of you. We are all different. Always have been, always will be.

This is what I tell myself when reading something composed by a grammatical serial killer.

05-10-09 01:26 PM
    It's true, nobody loves a grammar Nazi, and these forums are only semi-formal, but taken in context, one can usually tell if the whole paragraph is dumbed-down by grammar or the writer was just in a rush.

The only place I really despise grammatical errors is in actual journalism. These people are professional wordsmiths and to see them saying "then" instead of "than" and "it's" instead of "its" or vice versa, as well as all the others you mentioned is irksome.
    05-10-09 01:40 PM
    ^^
    Agreed.

To the OP:

Some people express themselves "correctly". Some people express themselves "terribly". Most people fall somewhere in the middle.

You read terrible sentences and perhaps think "lazy and uneducated".
    Someone reading your sentences might think "educated show off".

Who is right? Neither of you. We are all different. Always have been, always will be.

This is what I tell myself when reading something composed by a grammatical serial killer.

Couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by branden3112; 05-10-09 at 01:46 PM.
    05-10-09 01:43 PM
    im kinda fanatic about spelling, but the apostrophes and stuff dont really get to me..

as you can see i left out 2 in the above sentence. when typing in a forum and not on a page i usually leave out all punctuation besides periods... i.e.- theyre, youre... BUT when the word is another word like were instead of we're, i'll use punctuation (there i go again.. i'll and ill). oh, and i rarely capitalize letters.. it just slows me down.

in the words of rodney king.. "cant we all just get along?"
    in the words of otis redding.. "try a little tenderness"
    in the words of paul mccartney.. "let it be"
    in the words of marvin gaye.. "lets get it on"
    Last edited by SofaKingKev; 05-10-09 at 04:04 PM.
    05-10-09 04:01 PM
    im kinda fanatic about spelling, but the apostrophes and stuff dont really get to me..

as you can see i left out 2 in the above sentence. when typing in a forum and not on a page i usually leave out all punctuation besides periods... i.e.- theyre, youre... BUT when the word is another word like were instead of we're, i'll use punctuation (there i go again.. i'll and ill). oh, and i rarely capitalize letters.. it just slows me down.

in the words of rodney king.. "cant we all just get along?"
    in the words of otis redding.. "try a little tenderness"
    in the words of paul mccartney.. "let it be"
    in the words of marvin gaye.. "lets get it on"
    This had me laughing!

05-10-09 04:41 PM
    I HATE 'text talk' and all of that. I hate it when people spell simple words like 'friend/freind' and 'field/feild' wrong. I always try and use my grammar, i don't know why, i sort of just picked it up. Even in my text messages, all of my friends think that i'm crazy. Maybe i am. Haha.
    05-10-09 04:43 PM
    A lot of folks have lousy communication skills...for sure. But, I think those who know better, do better. Some folks didn't pay attention in English class..and that's the truth, God love 'em. But nobody has to stay in the dumb zone. Everybody has the opportunity to improve, if they see a need for improvement.

I don't want to have to do three run-throughs, to try and figure out what you're trying to say. So, if you choose to "be you" and type in unintelligible garble, then I will "be me" and probablly choose to not read it. I'm not gonna ride you about it. It's real simple.

To communicate intelligently is not "showing off", and if it is, then we got a much bigger problem.
    05-10-09 04:49 PM
    This had me laughing!

its what i do
    05-10-09 04:49 PM
    I thought we already covered this subject:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f36/des...nguage-189394/

But hey, I'll play along again.
    05-10-09 06:46 PM
    +1 on making this a sticky
    05-10-09 06:56 PM
    -1 on the sticky... Nothing we haven't heard before

BTW Sofaking... "its" was short for "it is", therefore you need a "'" inbetween... (It's)
    You also forgot to capitalize your "I"... Comeon! Just boils my blood!!!
    05-10-09 10:11 PM
    I agree with the original post. It is more or less maybe someone could be making a mistake, doing it on purpose or just does not care; Either way this is who cares this is not english class online, and we are not typing for anytype of professionalism.
    05-10-09 11:10 PM
    BS, that is the nicest thing you've ever said to me.. It doesn't feel right if there isn't a "******" in you're posts

05-10-09 11:29 PM
    Straight to the point:

Many of you cats out there need to learn to spell, and use proper grammar.

**They are parking their cars over there.

**I advise you to seek the best advice.

**His loose grip caused him to lose the ball.

**He threw the ball through the fence.

**You're painting your house.

**That new OS is the worst, now his call quality is worse.

**hey gang i know this was searched but i couldn fin anything about it and so my gfs bb is acting up and im like get a iphone but she dont want that stuff so i like order pizza and need to know if this will affect my data if i order using the web so will that mean the new OS is coming cause vzw told me so. <<<<< Waaaaaayyyy too much of this run-on-nonsense-sh*t gang.

More can be found here: GCSE English: Confusions

Show some pride people. You may think this doesn't follow you and appear in your everyday life, but I guarantee you it does. I interact with government agencies and private firms across the country on a daily basis, and this "lax" attitude toward written communication rears itself through weak attempts at formal, written correspondence, and even reveals itself in some of these person's ability to talk sometimes.

Acronyms and abbreviations are part of streamlined, efficient communication in an environment that demands quick context, such as IM or SMS.

Writing a letter, memo, email or even a post on the Internet is NOT the same, even in a casual environment. Here is a prime example as to why:

We've all received those emails about the Nigerian banking scam right? Aside from the "too-good-to-be-true" factor, what was the other revealing factor in these messages that (should have) raised the red flag: spelling, grammar and context. Right? You didn't take it seriously even though deep in the recesses of your mind you may have wished you were that lucky (believe me, I wish I was sometimes).

Look at those that communicate well, and gauge their popularity and the amount of credibility you give them based on that one factor alone. Look at those that do not communicate well, and how easily you're able to dismiss them.

There are a lot of smart people here, and the younger generation I observe while roaming through cyberspace, could run techno-circles around me. Of course, this is likely happening already and I just don't know it because I don't understand the rambling most of the time. Don't rely solely on "spell-check" to make your point.

Does this mean that proper spelling and grammar will automatically make you right? No. It does, however, lend itself to legitimate discussion in all forums (virtual, real, public, private) of debate and discourse.

It disturbs me greatly that it has become casually accepted that misspelling and inability to generate cogent thoughts is okay, just because "it's the Internet".

Now that I have that off my keyboard, go forth and flame if desired.

Cheers.
    A direct result, not THE result, of texting in class while mom and dad pay for your schooling and phone, rent, food, car, clothes......can I stop now?
    05-11-09 12:43 AM
    Add to the list of forum aggrivations: Those that quote messages for no apparent reason.

On another forum, I was part of an elite force that attempted to make the world a better place... The Pedantic Police. The Other was very different from most forums, but a few of us would be known for looking for and pointing out errors in other's posts.

Some of you are right, this isn't a terribly formal forum, but if you type like you don't care, you have to work that much harder to convince people that you aren't an idio+. Also, what's so wrong with doing it right all the time? It's not like you are saving a boatload of time...

My absolute favorite is when someone gets upset and just spits out a rant about how stupid someone is, and there's multiple spelling and grammar errors in the post...

Anyway, I do feel this should be stickied on every forum on the internet, but that's just me.

Peace.

05-11-09 04:45 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD