MYTHThe demise of the American auto industry won't really affect the American way of life.

FACTWhat happens to the U.S. auto industry matters on Main Street.
    From plants to parks. From dealerships to driveways. From gas stations to grocery stores. What happens in the automotive industry affects each and every one of us. In fact, the collapse of the U.S.-based auto industry wouldn't just impact the more than 239,000 Americans directly employed by the Big Three. One out of every 10 people in America is employed in a service that is related to the U.S. auto industry. If a plant closes, so does its suppliers, the local stores, the hot dog vendors, and the local restaurants.

The effect would be devastating in ways of which you never have thought:

Nearly 3 million jobs would be lost in the first year alone – with another 2.5 million to follow over the next two years
    Personal income in the United States would drop by more than $150.7 billion in the first year
    The cost to local, state, and federal governments could reach $156.4 billion over three years in lost taxes, and unemployment and health care assistance
    Domestic automobile production would more than likely fall to zero – even by international producers, due to supplier bankruptcies
    The credit crisis that is affecting us all is wounding the U.S. auto industry in many different ways. Carmakers can’t get loans to restructure and to produce new advanced technology vehicles. Suppliers and dealers can’t get loans for routine business, and customers can’t get loans for new cars.

Please go to www.gmfactandfiction.com

Notify your State Representative as a Concerned American.....
    Last edited by jmoney1026; 11-13-08 at 12:40 PM.
    11-13-08 12:38 PM
    I truely hot you all are helping in this! The american worker and economy needs your help!
    11-14-08 08:49 AM
    Don't blame us the Government and the heads of the companies and the oil company are the ones who are causing this soon to be depression they doin it to control the people if they have a depression and the government steps in and saves the economy then everyone loves the government if everything stays sunshine and popsicles all the time evertone hates the government it's all about control Freedom is an ILLUSION we all live.
    11-14-08 09:27 AM
    Don't blame us the Government and the heads of the companies and the oil company are the ones who are causing this soon to be depression they doin it to control the people if they have a depression and the government steps in and saves the economy then everyone loves the government if everything stays sunshine and popsicles all the time evertone hates the government it's all about control Freedom is an ILLUSION we all live.

How do you figure your hypothesis? The current administration is out of office in two months, surely that is not enough to turn this economic downturn around. As for the blame being solely on the government, CEO's and oil companies, you have a strong point. The government is at fault for not curtailing the greediness on Wall Street and stopping bad lending practices. However the consumer is at fault too here, too many people were buying houses they knew they couldnt afford, taking out credit cards with high credit lines and not paying them back, etc. In my opinion everyone is to blame for the current situation we are all in, not just the government and big business.
    11-14-08 11:48 AM
    I still feel you have to clean these business up from the top down. Heck i want GM to throw out most there executives. There is alot of restructuring that needs to take place. You cant just let a company that big fold. After all who will build a military motorized Vehicles. GM was instrumental in the US beating Germany in WWII.

I know many people are mad at Big Whig Executives and want to hold them accountable for what is going on. Just dont have tunnel Vision and look past all the employees that have nothing to do with it.
    11-15-08 11:40 AM
    You probably don't want my opinion so you can skip this is you like. But I think if you really want to fix the economy, and not just help it or make it Better, but to fix it, shut down wall street, can the stock market. It's a bunch of figures backed by nothing. Same with our money. Start backing our money with something real again. When we lost the gold standard we lost our backing. It would cause **** for a season, but in the long term we would actually have a stable economy. Good thing I'm not into politics, id never get elected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 12:31 PM
    After nine years in the auto industry as a Tier I supplier, I can honestly say that GM and its subsidiaries (Delphi, etc.) were the absolute worst customers to work with.

Unfortunately, GM has run itself into the ground. They have attempted restructuring / re-engineering a few times. They need a complete overhaul top to bottom.

Fortunately for me, I saw the writing on the wall and changed industries 5 years ago.
    11-15-08 03:33 PM
    These businesses have done the damage to themselves. I work as a settlement agent doing closings for a law firm. I see the banks give a $200,000.00 loan to a kid thats 20 years old and works as a manager at Mcdonalds. Do you think that kid is really going to be able to afford that? And if he can, he sure as **** can heat the house, have electric, water, gas, cable or the other stuff that is included in owning a house. Blame the greedy mortgage companies that give people like this a loan just to get a commision check. Blame the CEO's of companys for getting million dollar bonuses or steal the companies money. Blame the UNIONS...i'm not even getting into that one cuz i'd be here all night.
    11-20-08 08:38 PM
    I work at GM Mexico, best company!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD