06-15-08 09:47 AM
34 12
tools
    I am starting a post to see how users are affected by the rising gas prices. For example I don't drive to work anymore. I take mass transit and it takes me 90 minutes one way. What do you say?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 05:20 PM
    im at home on my day off
    enough said!
    06-12-08 05:35 PM
    I still fill 'er up with premium, but I'm stobborn. We do try to make only one trip to town instead of every time we need something.

06-12-08 05:39 PM
    I can't say my life has "changed," necessarily.. But it definitely does make me regret the fact that I didn't get a vehicle with better gas mileage. I still have to sit in rush hour traffic everyday for about 2-3 hours round trip, and still have to use my A/C because it's hotter than holy heck here in AZ, regardless of how high gas prices get.

BUT - I certainly am not taking any unnecessary joy rides on the weekends, that's for sure!!
    06-12-08 05:45 PM
    I JUST sold my durango and got an explorer when gas was still $3.80 ish but now? At almost $4.50.... and rising daily... It's frustrating and it's making me stressed over money when I never really had to be before!
    06-12-08 05:46 PM
    I can't say my life has "changed," necessarily.. But it definitely does make me regret the fact that I didn't get a vehicle with better gas mileage. I still have to sit in rush hour traffic everyday for about 2-3 hours round trip, and still have to use my A/C because it's hotter than holy heck here in AZ, regardless of how high gas prices get.

BUT - I certainly am not taking any unnecessary joy rides on the weekends, that's for sure!!
    I hear ya on regretting not having a gas saver
    06-12-08 05:48 PM
    It's over $100 to fillerup at the pump. Yes, it hurts, and yes, we drive much less than we used to.

In my opinion, I don't think we will see prices head back down until consumers like you and me cut way back on driving. Until that happens, I think we will continue to see prices climb - maybe even as high as $6/gal. yikes!
    06-12-08 05:48 PM
    If I ever see $100+ when I fill up, I don't know what I'd do, lol. But that's not too far off... considering I spend about $80 every time
    06-12-08 05:50 PM
    It's over $100 to fillerup at the pump. Yes, it hurts, and yes, we drive much less than we used to.

In my opinion, I don't think we will see prices head back down until consumers like you and me cut way back on driving. Until that happens, I think we will continue to see prices climb - maybe even as high as $6/gal. yikes!
    I have seen on the local news here (AZ) several times that gas prices are expected to climb to $6+ this summer/fall. That literally terrifies me...
    06-12-08 05:51 PM
    I have been driving 40 miles to work (one way), but I just got a job 5 miles from home. Should save me some $$
    06-12-08 05:57 PM
    Moved to Off Topic
    06-12-08 06:14 PM
    A city dweller, I have the luxury of walking to work. But, there will be fewer trips to the Jersey Shore this season.
    06-12-08 06:49 PM
    we hit $4.19 today, we are cutting out some social activities and streamlining other expeditures to try to make the ends meet...Its frustrating and I don;t see and solutions on the horizon.
    06-12-08 07:12 PM
    I'm in the UK and it totally sucks - esp when u find out that 60% of the pump price is tax and duty!!

I'm disabled and I can't get anywhere without my hubby driving. We live 'out in the sticks' in rural England with poor bus routes and the nearest train station 20miles away.

My other half works 18miles away. He does lift-share with a colleague and they take it in turns. This was initially done for environmental reasons but now its been a financial life-saver.
    Unfortunately she will be going on maternity leave in a coupla months and then we really will be screwed.

We've got a Ford c-max 1.8 diesel. We've always gone for diesel on every car for both environmental and financial (more mpg etc) reasons. The financial gains have now been obliterated by these price hikes (diesel going up a bigger % than petrol).

The cost of living (bar transport fuel prices) has gone thro the roof with home fuel prices skyrocketing and food prices gone mad. More and more stealth taxes are introduced and general taxes have all conveiniently gone up (despite our gov making literally BILLIONs from the gas price hikes) and the quailty of services provided gone to pot.

Inflation is all over the place and we could go full blowen recession, probably will! To control inflation our government decided to give certain sectors of 'civil servants' a below inflation pay increase, which is essentially a pay cut. Which sector are they penalising, only those who saves lives and educate our youth - nurses, police and teachers (my husbands a maths teacher) amongst others.

Whilst all this is happening an millions more and plunged below the poverty line our very own fine MPs and MEPs are giving themselves pay rises and literally stealing from the taxpayer by fiddling their expenses -were not just talking the odd non-buisness dinner but things like paying family members over 50,000 per year for a job they don't do or buying themselves new kitchens or popping 100,000 or so into their own businesses.

I could go on for hours about the state of Britian at the moment but I won't cos I'm sure I've bored u all s**tless by now.

I would however be really interested to know bout this side of life in the US and elsewhere as I know a lot of the same issues affect you guys but us Brits just don't know how.

So if anyone wants to have a good old rant with a fellow pee'd off person let me know.

06-12-08 10:05 PM
    Oh yeah, don't know if ur interested but we found a couple of sites which have loads of moneysaving tips.

They're uk based sites but a lot of the stuff is universal.

Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

Financial Advice, News, Help & Guides from This is Money UK

They include driving tips like making sure ur tyre pressures r optimum, driving smoothly (ie accelerating slowley up to the speed u want) and many more..

Since following the driving tips we've def improved fuel consumption and saved cash.

They cover all areas of life and have proved invaluable to us.

06-12-08 10:40 PM
    tell ya the truth it has not affected me much im still drivin to work daily and everywhere i need to and im in a suv dam thing chugs gas. i dont even really look at gas prices either i jus fill the bad boy up and start rollin.
    06-12-08 10:51 PM
    Gas here is over $5 and still rising closer to $6/gal. I stay home more or take the puplic transit.

06-12-08 11:28 PM
    its 5 in my neck of the woods out in the bay area
    06-12-08 11:34 PM
    I just bought a moped for traveling in the city. It really saves me a lot of money on gas.

06-12-08 11:49 PM
    Hi. I can't really say our my habits have changed. I still need to drive to work (to pay for the gas); we still go out to dinner on Friday nights, I just HATE to see total amount of fill-up on Wednesday's (fill up once a week hopefully)(optimistic).
    06-13-08 08:36 AM
    I kinda got lucky.
    Before prices started rising I started a new job
    3 miles from my house. My prior job
    was 26 miles so I have shaved a full 46 miles
    off my daily commute. I still try to conserve
    where possible though.
    06-13-08 09:42 AM
    I dont take my kids to see their grandparents at the Oregon Coast every weekend anymore. Its now down to 1 weekend trip a month. I live right outside Portland and it cost 75 dollars to fill my tank. Once I get back my tank is empty. Its just too expensive. My 4 year old is really upset about the change.

06-13-08 07:31 PM
    Jason- now that school is almost out take the kids to spend the summer with grandparents and u visit once a month/ just an idea\

06-13-08 07:44 PM
    I parked my civic and ride one of 3 bicycles, 15 miles each way. Great ride and its free. That and I love riding my bike

06-13-08 07:47 PM
    thanks for the idea travel, I'll mention that to the wife. That would be nice.

06-13-08 07:48 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD