So, feeling the pinch at the gas pump? Forced to change your driving habits due to the seemingly daily price increases? Not real happy with the answers, or lack of answers we seem to be getting?

The premise here is to lay out what your thoughts might be as to how to improve the current energy picture. It could be simple or complex. It should be respectful and discussable. No hand grenades.

My Scenario:

Our president calls an International press conference. With all the world watching he steps up and says:

"We have decided to take our energy matters into our own hands starting immediately. The previous moratorium on all offshore drilling has been fully lifted and full scale drilling is to resume as soon as is possible. The Bakken and Alaskan ANWR reserves are to be opened to controlled exploration and drilling today. As of today we will no longer fund the Brazilian national oil companies, or any other foreign energy explorations, but will re-direct those funds into our new domestic energy independence programs. The push for so-called Green energy programs will not take precedence over our existing resources, but will continue to be funded at more modest levels until such time as they show true financial gains for the American public.

That is all, there will be no questions."
    04-25-11 09:44 AM
    Let's start with the auto industry boosting engine efficiency.....we know they can.
    04-25-11 10:49 AM
    Let's start with the auto industry boosting engine efficiency.....we know they can.
    Good idea... but if the auto industry were to magically double every car's MPG tomorrow, are you still happy with a 294% increase in the past 10 years?
    04-25-11 01:08 PM
    Yeah, with half the congressmen having money invested in oil companies, keep dreaming. The gov is not going to do anything for the "people", unless those "people" are them. And guess what, those, who are heavily invested in oil companies are cashing in big time when you shell (no pun intended) out $5.00/gallon at the pump. It's all about who is making and losing money up in the big leagues. If the congressmen were paid according to how well they perform the duties of "representatives of the people", things would have been very different.

As for the auto industry - you don't need magic. If Tesla (pricey $49K+) can produce powerful (0 to 60 in 5.6sec), fast-charging (full charge 45 mins in any outlet), full-size (seats 7) Electrics, and Toyota has done great with the Hybrids (affordable $26K+), enough to put them into their Lexus line, I am pretty sure the technology is there. Granted, not every type of car can be converted into a full electric or even hybrid (heavy duty trucks, for example). Not yet at least.

Basically, if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself. Like these guys from Silicon Valley. https://www.teslamotors.com/about
    04-25-11 01:49 PM
    Part of the problem is our enormous debt and our dollar being so devalued vs other currency. We need to get out of debt yesterday. Slash government programs and spending, slash the debt. Let's cut a trillion in spending a year, that should get us back where we need to be and out of debt in a few years, then let us maintain that budget.
    04-25-11 01:57 PM
    I'd love to have one of those Teslas, if they didn't cost over a hundred grand, sheesh.

04-25-11 02:00 PM
    One of the reasons for this is already mentioned is the falling dollar. another is the fact that rhe speculators know they can keep bidding the price up because they know that POTUS will not do anything to alleviate things on the supply side. Since we aren't allowed to get our own, we depend on the benevolence of others, many who aren't so much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 05:15 PM

04-25-11 06:09 PM

^^ Love this! ^^
    04-25-11 06:15 PM

Isn't that that new Amish McLaren?

04-26-11 06:06 AM
    I feel sorry for the poor horse.

So BK, what if someone said no more futures trading on resource commodities... do you think taking the speculation out of the equation would make a difference?
    04-26-11 06:13 AM
    I feel sorry for the poor horse.

So BK, what if someone said no more futures trading on resource commodities... do you think taking the speculation out of the equation would make a difference?
    That would probably have minimal effect on the prices of oil. The daily sales of barrels of oil might go even higher due to lowered production caused be fear of not being able to sell it.

Even if US owned oils usage was to increase due to the an increase in the drilling, getting it to the refineries (which we would have to spend even more on to increase their numbers) and then produce the fuel would still show high prices because even US based companies want to see big profits.
    04-26-11 11:34 AM
    Another reason for the jumps in oil price is the decrease of the value of the US dollar.
    Oh, and Tesla is great, unless you want a transmission that lasts past 20k miles. They're working on it though.

Here's something to think about tho: Supply and Demand, although a ridiculous oversimplification (it should be supply, demand, dependency, greed, social hierarchy and pressure, advertising etc.) gives a grim prediction regarding electric cars.
    Basically: electric cars will drive up electricity costs (electricity that will in large be derived from burning coal and oil). This will result in a higher standard of living, and a greater disparity between standards of living among social classes (because there's not enough of that already).
    Not a pretty thought.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 04-26-11 at 11:11 PM.
    04-26-11 11:02 PM
    Well, we've just been told that there is no silver bullet, so I guess we don't need to worry about it anymore.

The US is set to loan nearly $3 billion to Colombia for refinery upgrades in that country. This gives me a real warm fuzzy that we are striving in earnest for our own energy independence.
    04-27-11 07:05 AM
    With our current inflation rate that'll be the world equivalent of $25 by the time they pay it back.

04-27-11 08:32 AM
    With our current inflation rate that'll be the world equivalent of $25 by the time they pay it back.

Pay it back??? Don't tell me that we loan billions to other countries and actually expect them to pay it back?
    04-27-11 08:53 AM
    Actually , time and inflation are our national debts best friend. Within 15 or 20 years, the debt will shrink by half without paying off any principle. The actual number will be the same but it won't seem as big.

Kind of like a house. Say you buy a house for 200k now. In 20 years when houses cost 500k yours will feel like a bargain.

04-27-11 09:40 AM
    Another reason for the jumps in oil price is the decrease of the value of the US dollar.
    Oh, and Tesla is great, unless you want a transmission that lasts past 20k miles. They're working on it though.

Here's something to think about tho: Supply and Demand, although a ridiculous oversimplification (it should be supply, demand, dependency, greed, social hierarchy and pressure, advertising etc.) gives a grim prediction regarding electric cars.
    Basically: electric cars will drive up electricity costs (electricity that will in large be derived from burning coal and oil). This will result in a higher standard of living, and a greater disparity between standards of living among social classes (because there's not enough of that already).
    Not a pretty thought.
    Hey, the way I see it, at least they are doing something in the electric car development - instead of just talking about it. Those guys are smart, they will figure out the transmission issues.

How would electric cars drive up electricity costs? They require as much power for charging as your TV (what I've read, I am still learning about the technology). I don't see this as an issue. As for social hierarchy, in my opinion, the solution to balancing the standard of living is to provide excellent education.

And, speaking of education, that's where it all starts. Unfortunately, until recently, most of the schools were treated as a government-supplied day care. If the the science, math and technology were taught 30 years ago at the same level of importance as they are now, there would have been a lot more qualified people already. Thank heavens, they stopped "equalizing" classes in our schools here. Before that, everyone was forced to learn as slow as the slowest kid in the class.
    04-27-11 09:55 AM
    Hey, the way I see it, at least they are doing something in the electric car development - instead of just talking about it. Those guys are smart, they will figure out the transmission issues.

How would electric cars drive up electricity costs? They require as much power for charging as your TV (what I've read, I am still learning about the technology). I don't see this as an issue. As for social hierarchy, in my opinion, the solution to balancing the standard of living is to provide excellent education.
    I think what Tesla is doing is great. Way cool stuff! They make the Volt look like a windup toy in comparison.

As far as driving up the costs... look at what the ethanol "green" thing has already done. Unused farmlands are being converted to corn, driving up the costs of other crops. Because corn is a major feedstock, the price of poultry, beef products, eggs and dairy go up. So, as the demand for ethanol increases, we can also expect our food costs to follow.

Then there is electricity, so clean, pure, and low cost. But where does it come from? If it isn't nuclear then it's most likely from fossil fuels... petroleum or coal. The thoughts of wind and solar are nice, but still not nearly as viable as we are expected to believe.
    04-27-11 11:06 AM
    I don't know what the answer is but pretty soon I'm going to have to call off of work because I can't afford to put gas in my car to get there.
    04-27-11 12:11 PM
    I got rid of my Land Rover which was getting 10 mpgs and was taking premium only, and picked up a Ford Fiesta.

THANK BOB for that. Over 4.15 a gallon here.
    04-27-11 12:12 PM
    I got rid of my Land Rover which was getting 10 mpgs and was taking premium only, and picked up a Ford Fiesta.

THANK BOB for that. Over 4.15 a gallon here.
    what a shame that gas prices are relative to your zip code. the higher the income levels of your are determine how high your local stations decode to gouge you for. if the federal government would just step in and at least regulate that it would help.
    04-29-11 08:29 AM
    Just coming out of recession and now the price of gas is expected to sky rocket which in turn the price of everything else will skyrocket.

Hello depression.
    04-29-11 08:46 AM
    Helloooo Lexapro! lol
    04-29-11 02:58 PM
    Good thing the fool Obama's suggestion to people was to get more efficient vehicles. That's sure going to help the trucking and rail industry who aren't going to be dragging their trailers and rail cars with a herd of Priuses...
    04-29-11 03:27 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD