True, anyone who bought an OS7 device in 2011 was doing bbry big favor. even now people buying the 10s are doing them a huge favor, in fact i would say taking a risk.

for some reason i always tend to think that, higher end os7 devices have their power wasted by the os, may not be true, what do you think.

bbry must ensure that, upgrades should be given to devices as long as they can handle it, the apple way. this will really please the customers.
    not like what they did with os5 and os6. i was sad when i came to know my 8520 cannot be upgraded.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    05-05-13 10:04 AM
    Why is buying blackberry 10 taking a risk? Really wasn't a risk at all for me. I knew from the start that this was going to be good.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 01:32 PM
    Why is buying blackberry 10 taking a risk? Really wasn't a risk at all for me. I knew from the start that this was going to be good.

Posted via CB10
    You are conscientious though. You did your research, unlike 99.999 twenty-eleven % of people. Remember how mad folks were at the Playbook?

Joe Schmo buys a phone and expects it to be able to do exactly what Cousin Vinnie's phone does, especially if it costs the same price.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-05-13 01:38 PM
    for some reason i always tend to think that, higher end os7 devices have their power wasted by the os, may not be true, what do you think.
    There's a lot of truth in that. If those high end devices from the end of 2011 had been running an OS designed from scratch that year, free of the legacy baggage of nearly a decade of Java BBOS there's no doubt it would have been faster, leaner and more efficient than BBOS 7 on the same hardware. But BlackBerry weren't in a position to do that in 2011. There was a long pregnant pause for us until that revolution came in the form of BB10 this year. The hardware mow is better than ever and there's no doubt BB10 makes the most of it.

bbry must ensure that, upgrades should be given to devices as long as they can handle it, the apple way. this will really please the customers.
    not like what they did with os5 and os6. i was sad when i came to know my 8520 cannot be upgraded.
    Who would disagree with that, I hope we at least get BlackBerry 11 on our Z10s and Q10s but it depends how long BlackBerry decide to stretch BB10 out. Apple have stretched OS X out for over 13 years!

If you think about Apple's mobile devices, until the iPad mini came out every single iPhone and iPad was high end for its time. That gave each device a longer life span in terms of the OS it could run. Couple that with the slow trickle of evolution they drip feed in to each new version of iOS and it has been easier for Apple to get their current OS working at a usable speed on older hardware.

The difference with BlackBerry's legacy devices is there were so many models and such a huge difference between the specs of the high end and the specs of the low end. That made getting the next major version of BBOS working at a usable speed on all of the previous generation of phones much harder, in some cases it just wasn't going to be usable. It's also true that BlackBerry were guilty of just cutting some devices off from the next major version of BBOS in an attempt to boost sales of the next generation of phones, and I hope that practice does not rear its head again.

Unfortunately your 8520 was a low end phone when it was released in 2009. Although it was the first with the optical track pad it wasn't much more advanced internally than the 8300 series phones from 2007 that replaced. BlackBerry really milked the 8520 as their low end cash cow for too long, I think you could still buy it earlier this year. That kept the lowest common denominator too low for too long, and kept OS4.6 and OS5 around way passed their sell by date. The 8520 got its major OS upgrade from 4.6 to 5.0 early in its life so it was unlikely that two years later it would get OS 6. It wouldn't have been usable on the hardware anyway.

Along with others I hope BlackBerry don't release as many different models of BB10 phones in the high end, mid range and low end markets as they did with legacy BBOS. They were often so similar to each other in spec and appearance that cheaper BB phones would take sales away from the more expensive ones. It must also have been hard for BlackBerry to market them all effectively to whoever they were designed for, sometimes you just couldn't work out who each model's target user was.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:11 PM
    i don't mean leaked OSes, AOSP based custom roms with different feature sets?
    Why would you think that a Blackberry could, would or should be capable of using AOSP custom roms? That's not what their ethos is or what thier target customer is looking for. They've reached their position as the most secure platform by not supporting things like that. It is not an Android phone. Buy an Android phone if you want that.

Android was invented to be customisable and able to take advantage of open source community devs. But the downside of that very approach in BlackBerry's target market of highly regulated security sensitive bodies is that Android in general is the least secure of all mobile OSs. The fragmentation of Android is a nightmare for MDM developers, BlackBerry included, trying to cope with the lack of standard security, configuration and EAS APIs for doing the same thing on one manufacture's Android device as on another manufacture's. That's why when Android devices do get security certifications from government bodies it can only ever be for a specific version of Android on a specific model of device from a specific manufacture as the differences between Android devices can be too great for a catch-all certification.

i wonder if you know about CM AOKP? Paranoid Android? like that each are different from the stock manufacturer, different feel.
    Yep, awesome for the consumer tech fan. But in BlackBerry's target market, like I said above, each fragmentation brings a whole new batch of security issues to deal with and another set of non standard security and configuration APIs to cater for. It all makes an IT security guy's job harder.

and i honestly think it is stupid of blackberry to charge me 1000$, almost, for the Q10 here. considering it has new OS and has no advantage in the apps department. And i live in a market which they consider 'important'.
    Well what are they supposed to do? They are a commercial company trying to make a profit, not some charity. To make that profit in light of their financial situation they need to charge a higher margin on their hardware than they used to. They're not in a position to can't discount their hardware sales just because Android and Apple have bigger app stores. Sorry, the Q10 doesn't sound like the right phone for you. Maybe the lower spec R10 keyboard phone will be when its released later this year?

[QUOTE=ojas541;8428346]
    Fine BB10 is the most secure and all, then what? gestures? fine. what makes it stand out i have not seen it yet./QUOTE]

You mentioned the first 2 reasons it stands out yourself, you need a third? OK, but to appreciate this one you need to get a job where you are given a work BB10 phone on BES10. Access to read/edit your work documents and spreadsheets, use your Intranet, RDP on to servers and computers and connect apps to your work databases all without a VPN connection needed. Most consumers never have a clue they can do that. Use a BlackBerry next to an iPhone, an Android phone and a Windows Phone in the workplace and it's a stand out feature. They've been able to do that for longer than I can remember but only people who've used one in a workplace know.

one more thing: having an open os does make a difference, to the developer and to the consumer.
    Yep and to the hacker, the malware coder, and the cyber criminal too.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 07:27 PM
    Sorry missed a square bracket two thirds of the way through that reply

It won't let me edit it, it's the no permissions bug. I wonder if it's only on posts over a certain size? I edited this ok.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 07:29 PM
    you are very much correct the Q10 isnt the right phone. tking price into consideration I would rather buy the Z10.

and i am not saying they should become charity, just that the pricing for Q10 here is un justified.

05-05-13 09:49 PM
    It's very much justified, amoled screen and bigger battery + physical keyboard = 50$ more? That's a good deal.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:48 AM
    It's very much justified, amoled screen and bigger battery + physical keyboard = 50$ more? That's a good deal.

Posted via CB10
    you may have fun with that carrier subsidized phone of yours.

in india, carriers dont put the price tag. the price of the phone is nearly 1000$ here. i am guessing an unlocked phone is the uk costs 580pounds?

05-06-13 08:57 AM
    600$ can dollars

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:52 PM
    This is true for anything though, mmo's or massive online multiplayer games for example world of warcraft vs star wars the old republic. WoW is about 10 years old if I'm not mistaken while Swtor is 1, swtor released with most core features for an mmo yet people expected as much content for it compared to its competitor WoW which is just impossible.

Posted via CB10
    Actually swtor was overhyped by bioware and completely failed people's expectations.
    Bioware claimed to have hundreds of devs working on content alone and with the huge budget it had expectations were high. What was released was a barely there mmo.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 02:08 AM
    600$ can dollars

Posted via CB10
    what?

05-07-13 02:30 AM
    what?

It costs $ 600 canadian dollars.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 08:24 AM
    Actually swtor was overhyped by bioware and completely failed people's expectations.
    Bioware claimed to have hundreds of devs working on content alone and with the huge budget it had expectations were high. What was released was a barely there mmo.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't fail me. People always seem to be over expecting.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 08:25 AM
    Didn't fail me. People always seem to be over expecting.

Posted via CB10
    I followed swtor from announcement. I did not get what they promised.
    I'm happy you enjoy the game, but you are in the minority it seems

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:21 AM
    I followed swtor from announcement. I did not get what they promised.
    I'm happy you enjoy the game, but you are in the minority it seems

Posted via CB10
    Have you even checked it out lately? It's still doing well and the next patch will be focused on customization and fixing remaining bugs/anoyances.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 01:09 PM
    Have you even checked it out lately? It's still doing well and the next patch will be focused on customization and fixing remaining bugs/anoyances.

Posted via CB10
    It has a fraction of its user base left, how many servers have been closed. I wouldn't say it is doing well, I would actually say it is doing badly if you consider the budget.
    But yes it is improved from the first days. I haven't been in lately as I have moved and need to get Internet installed in my new flat.
    But last time I checked the game out it was still disappointing me but I have high standards when it comes to mmos. I can appreciate that it can appeal to casual gamers, but the fact that so many left and are not tempted to return speaks volumes

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 07:28 PM
    It costs $ 600 canadian dollars.

Posted via CB10
    so?
    i dont live there.

good for you, for getting it cheaper?

05-07-13 09:13 PM
    Well I thought you asked so I gave an answer...

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 10:46 PM
    Bought the S4 today. I'm enjoying it so far. Hopefully Blackberry step their game up soon.

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    05-07-13 10:48 PM
    It has a fraction of its user base left, how many servers have been closed. I wouldn't say it is doing well, I would actually say it is doing badly if you consider the budget.
    But yes it is improved from the first days. I haven't been in lately as I have moved and need to get Internet installed in my new flat.
    But last time I checked the game out it was still disappointing me but I have high standards when it comes to mmos. I can appreciate that it can appeal to casual gamers, but the fact that so many left and are not tempted to return speaks volumes

Posted via CB10
    The North American and European servers all have heavy to very heavy on prime time. And yes they may have closed down many servers but the current servers take about double or triple the cap they used to have. It's a hybrid model too do they don't just make money off subs but off the cartel market which is mostly for customization or additional access for free to play.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 10:50 PM
    Bought the S4 today. I'm enjoying it so far. Hopefully Blackberry step their game up soon.

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    oh nice! Octa core? what about the camera? they seem to be using Sony's exmor RS.

05-08-13 07:27 AM
    i dont know if you guys have been to this thread that says: iPhone users jealous of my Z10' go to PG 4 of the thread.

there is this guy who makes some valid points about Z10 and BB10.

05-08-13 07:29 AM
    oh nice! Octa core? what about the camera? they seem to be using Sony's exmor RS.

The camera is by far the best camera that I've ever used on a smartphone.

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 05-09-13 at 06:47 AM.
    05-08-13 12:14 PM
    dude, you just replied in the quote box i think.

05-08-13 11:27 PM
76 1234