This is a completely new platform, why do people expect it to have as much as or equal to ios or android. It takes time for a app ecosystem to develop.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:32 PM
    This is a completely new platform, why do people expect it to have as much as or equal to ios or android. It takes time for a app ecosystem to develop.

Posted via CB10
    That it is invariably true, but in the real world, BBRY won't be allowed that excuse. People want the extended functionality that a healthy ecosystem brings, and they want it NOW.
    05-04-13 07:41 PM
    Well consumers, welcome to reality. When the android runtime gets updated again for BB10 hopefully that deals with the majority of performance issues and functionality.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:59 PM
    Well consumers, welcome to reality. When the android runtime gets updated again for BB10 hopefully that deals with the majority of performance issues and functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Consumers have options, though. BBRY needs consumers more than consumers need it. That's true for all platforms, obviously, but "more" true for BBRY currently.

Whatever it takes to remove barriers to adoption is good for BBRY.

The good news is that I believe the folks in Waterloo are treating this with a major sense of urgency.
    05-04-13 08:07 PM
    Consumers have options, though. BBRY needs consumers more than consumers need it. That's true for all platforms, obviously, but "more" true for BBRY currently.

Whatever it takes to remove barriers to adoption is good for BBRY.

The good news is that I believe the folks in Waterloo are treating this with a major sense of urgency.
    This is true for anything though, mmo's or massive online multiplayer games for example world of warcraft vs star wars the old republic. WoW is about 10 years old if I'm not mistaken while Swtor is 1, swtor released with most core features for an mmo yet people expected as much content for it compared to its competitor WoW which is just impossible.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 08:11 PM
    This is true for anything though, mmo's or massive online multiplayer games for example world of warcraft vs star wars the old republic. WoW is about 10 years old if I'm not mistaken while Swtor is 1, swtor released with most core features for an mmo yet people expected as much content for it compared to its competitor WoW which is just impossible.

Posted via CB10
    Fair point. I don't disagree.
    05-04-13 08:12 PM
    I had a iphone I certainly didn't need a Z10 not until I saw what it can do.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 08:12 PM
    I had a iphone I certainly didn't need a Z10 not until I saw what it can do.

Posted via CB10
    Tell you this: I have not been as impressed with a device UI as I was with the Z10. I ain't easily impressed, either. Fantastic.
    05-04-13 08:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe because blackberry is charging premium prices for devices with less apps, and features. Hardcore bb users are willing to wait (which is fine), however the rest of consumers aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-04-13 08:16 PM
    Maybe because blackberry is charging premium prices for devices with less apps, and features. Hardcore bb users are willing to wait (which is fine), however the rest of consumers aren't.

What feature does iphone 5 have that the Z10 doesn't?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 08:28 PM
    What feature does iphone 5 have that the Z10 doesn't?

Posted via CB10
    The ability to receive push notifications for everything. I understand that this is a software that the necessary API's are going to be released. The question is how soon? If I would have known that the Z10 couldn't receive push notifications for applications I would have waited to purchase the Z10. When I think of blackberry, I think of being instantly connected from a communication and productivity standpoint. I don't like the idea of keeping apps open in order to get this functionality. I bought the whole "blackberry made it easy for the developers routine" only to find out (i emailed all the developers after i pitchased their apps) that developers are still waiting on blackberry to release additional tools. I watched a lot people get burned with the whole pb fiasco (waiting, waiting, waiting), and I don't want to experience that. I like the Z10 (despite what a lot people think on this forum), but the lack of push notifications was the straw that broke the Carmel's back for me.

05-04-13 08:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's a valid argument up to a point, for a brand new OS it's very polished and feature rich. Everyone is so used to the next version of an OS containing everything the previous version had and adding more, revolution is so much rarer thab evolution that it's hard for a revolutionary new version of an OS to please everyone. It's also hard to compare first versions of a brand new phone OS with other firsts, most years there aren't any launched, it's not something a phone manufacturer or software company does all the time.

One thing is for sure the quality and core feature set people expect of a new phone OS increases all the time. As you would expect the features at launch if BB10 are way ahead of those of iOS 1.0 and Android 1.0 but in 2007 and 2008 respectively they both made an admirable first attempt at a phone OS. They were a little behind the market leaders when compared feature for feature but then so is BB10 when compared feature for feature with iOS 6 and Androud 4.2 so that's about what you'd expect.

I think BB10 compares equally well with Windows Phone 8 as an OS. Having used Windows RT on a Surface tablet I'm no fan of the user interface formerly known as Metro and I can't wait to see how BB10 performs as a tablet OS on PlayBook...
    one day.

How BB10 compares to Ubuntu on phones will be a good comparison of who has done the best job of making a whole new gesture based OS and cultivating an ecosystem for it.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 08:47 PM
    just recently read that samsung devices with knox got approved for govt use in the US, blackberry's market I suppose?

another major factor will i keep getting upgrades, will I be able to have the latest updates to the os on my phone? guess who wins there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    05-04-13 10:29 PM
    just recently read that samsung devices with knox got approved for govt use in the US, blackberry's market I suppose?
    They also approved BlackBerry 10 for government use in the same announcement. iOS isn't approved yet.

The launch of a working Knox has been delayed until the end of July it is rumoued. It still needs a costly 3rd party MDM solution to make use of it, apps needs to be rewritten to support it and public Google Play apps can't be installed in it, probably because of the malware nightmare that is Google Play.

BES10 has been here since January. On BB10 apps don't have to be rewritten for Balance (the Work and Personal data containerisation system) and native BB10 apps in BlackBerry World can be published to the Work container. Right now BES10 is an MDM solution for the top three mobile platforms, not just one. Balance, will be supported on iOS and Android in an update due in June.

Haven't heard of anything from Apple in the data containerisation field, so it would be costly 3rd party MDM again for the iPhone roll out.

So BlackBerry have a head start and a price advantage against Samsung and Apple and with BES10 the same MDM solution can manage all 3. Objectively, which would you choose? At least 2 different MDM solutions for BB10, iOS and Android or BES10 for all 3 platforms? Keep in mind that BES10 software is free, you just buy CALs per device and BlackBerry are allowing existing legacy BBOS perpetual CALs, of which governments all around the world will have hundreds of thousands, to be converted to BB10 compatible perpetual CALs for free all this year. Quite a cost incentive to roll out BB10 over the alternatives.

Another major factor will i keep getting upgrades, will I be able to have the latest updates to the os on my phone? guess who wins there.
    It was about 9 months between the release of Android 4.0 and my Galaxy Tab 8.9 getting it, I suppose at least it arrived eventually but Samsung sure don't rush to upgrade you. It remains to be seen how many updates BB10 gets in it's life time and if this generation of devices will support BB11 and the future but 10.1 will be starting to roll out from carriers OTA this month and we know 10.2 is in development so things are good so far, no worse than any other manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 05-05-13 at 02:33 AM.
    05-05-13 01:49 AM
    yeah thats one way to look t it: wait for the manufacturer to come out with a new os OR just load your own!

i didnt say anything about apps, besides your govt workers would be really stupid to load fishy apps, i am certain an admin can set such parameters. my uncle's android as such limitation set by the bank he works at.

05-05-13 02:03 AM
    Well hey this is BlackBerry fan forum after all.

I don't usually feed the trolls but someone trying to say BlackBerry doesn't have eye motion gestures because it's a closed source Operating System just wound me up and needed debunking and explaining as why it's not a high priority for BlackBerry to just bolt features on copycat style. If a technology fundamentally revolutionises the user interface then fair enough but design the whole user interface for it from scratch don't just bolt on.

Over the years as a device for trying to get work done on I've used BlackBerry, Windows Mobile (shudder), Android and iOS phones and tablets. All have their pros and cons but I've found BlackBerry's approach to being a primarily a work device as being the best for me. I wouldn't say I'm a typical consumer when it comes to mobile devices, for me they are for work first and play second. Guess that's why BlackBerry is a good fit for me.

Just out of interest do BlackBerry users troll the Android forums nowadays? We seem to get that a lot here.

Posted via CB10
    I am a BlackBerry user as well, I'm just agnostic. I don't own an android device currently. I own a z10, iPhone 4 and a Palm Pixi Plus.

Like I said I agreed with a lot of what you said.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:22 AM
    I guess a post that was being negative about Samsung's flagship Android phone in a Blackberry forum was always going to attract the attention of trolls.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I'm a 4+ year member trolling from my Z10... *SMDH*

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:25 AM
    yeah thats one way to look t it: wait for the manufacturer to come out with a new os OR just load your own!
    If you look around the forums here you'll see the 'leaked' threads where newer versions of BBOS and BB10 that carriers haven't released yet are available to download and install. I used one for the best part of a year on my previous BB as it got leaked before my carrier released it and after they released it I didn't have much reason to use the official one.

[QUOTE=ojas541;8427762
    i didnt say anything about apps, besides your govt workers would be really stupid to load fishy apps, i am certain an admin can set such parameters. my uncle's android as such limitation set by the bank he works at.[/QUOTE]

Government workers can be expected to download fishy apps given half the chance, I work in IT in government, I know what users are capable of getting themselves in to through naivety and lack of awareness of security risks. It would be really stupid for an IT admin not to restrict access to Google Play and only allow approved apps. The point I was making with Knox and apps is that apps have to be rewritten to work on the secure side, it's not seamless at all. It's effectively yet another ecosystem app developers have to code for if they want it to be a secure app. Let's see how that takes off or doesn't.

You're Uncle's Android phone from the bank will have some MDM client software on it or other talking to a server back at the bank, or maybe hosted somewhere on a server on the Cloud. I hope it's at least Android 4.0 though as before that they didn't support hardware encryption so if I were a bank I wouldn't want any work data stored on one of those in case it was lost or stolen. Bye bye bank account numbers and passwords...and money

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:53 AM
    i don't mean leaked OSes, AOSP based custom roms with different feature sets?

i wonder if you know about CM AOKP? Paranoid Android? like that each are different from the stock manufacturer, different feel.

and i honestly think it is stupid of blackberry to charge me 1000$, almost, for the Q10 here. considering it has new OS and has no advantage in the apps department. And i live in a market which they consider 'important'.

Fine BB10 is the most secure and all, then what? gestures? fine. what makes it stand out i have not seen it yet.
    in fact i think sammy devices must not be used when security is needed, just last year there was a flaw in the exynos code, which was found by dev and then patched by him. several days later sammy came out with one.

one more thing: having an open os does make a difference, to the developer and to the consumer.

05-05-13 07:28 AM
    You're Uncle's Android phone from the bank will have some MDM client software on it or other talking to a server back at the bank, or maybe hosted somewhere on a server on the Cloud. I hope it's at least Android 4.0 though as before that they didn't support hardware encryption so if I were a bank I wouldn't want any work data stored on one of those in case it was lost or stolen. Bye bye bank account numbers and passwords...and money

Posted via CB10
    oh and most probably, your bank account manager or who so ever, will mostly be using an iphone or android and i dont think account numbers will be on a phone ^_^. Everyone should be worried, nothing is truly safe.

after all a 9 year old hacked into cia i believe it was?

05-05-13 07:31 AM
    oh and most probably, your bank account manager or who so ever, will mostly be using an iphone or android and i dont think account numbers will be on a phone ^_^. Everyone should be worried, nothing is truly safe.

after all a 9 year old hacked into cia i believe it was?

We would all HOPE that bank account details weren't on a bank employee's work phone, but never say never. The industry is highly regulated in terms of security nowadays but employees everywhere make mistakes about or misinterpret what they can and can't do with sensitive data on a mobile device. I see this happen all the time.

Here in the UK it wasn't long ago that there was a scandal where high street banks were found to not be disposing of confidential paper waste correctly given the sensitivity of the data on it. Bin bags full of unshredded statements with names, addresses, bank account numbers, credit card numbers being left outside banks on the street over might for waste collection in the morning.

You wouldn't THINK banks would do that, but people can become lazy about the steps required to be secure when vigilant checks are not in place.

You're right everyone should be vigilant and question the security that 3rd partirs have on place when it comes to their sensitive data. We often assume they will be taking care of it, but if they are never pressed on the issue the actual truth may be scary.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because when TH introduced the device he didn't market it as an unfinished product that will take time to perfect. He didn't stand up on the stage and say that the devices are imperfect and customers will have to be patient as they fix bugs and when they say something will be coming in a few weeks it could mean 8 days or 15 weeks.

Every person that purchased a Z10 or Q10 also purchased the rights to ask about updates, complain about bugs, make suggestions, and most importantly compare it to devices that they bought their BlackBerry in lieu of. Let's remember, BlackBerry didn't do us a favor by making the new devices, we did them the favourite by purchasing them with the faith that their product was everything they said it would be.

And the same goes for Android and Apple customers.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Tre Lawrence and mikeo007 like this.
    05-05-13 08:34 AM
    Because when TH introduced the device he didn't market it as an unfinished product that will take time to perfect. He didn't stand up on the stage and say that the devices are imperfect and customers will have to be patient as they fix bugs and when they say something will be coming in a few weeks it could mean 8 days or 15 weeks.

Every person that purchased a Z10 or Q10 also purchased the rights to ask about updates, complain about bugs, make suggestions, and most importantly compare it to devices that they bought their BlackBerry in lieu of. Let's remember, BlackBerry didn't do us a favor by making the new devices, we did them the favourite by purchasing them with the faith that their product was everything they said it would be.

And the same goes for Android and Apple customers.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Very well said. Accepting the status quo doesn't help any tech manufacturer
    05-05-13 08:41 AM
    [iPhone 5 has] The ability to receive push notifications for everything.
    Oh really? With a free GMail account on a new un-jailbroken iPhone 5 with no Google or 3rd party app involved to make it work right now today???

I think you'll find in the scenario above the quickest you'll receive the emails is every 15 mins through IMAP just like on BB10 and Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 09:17 AM
    Oh really? With a free GMail account on a new un-jailbroken iPhone 5 with no Google or 3rd party app involved to make it work right now today???

I think you'll find in the scenario above the quickest you'll receive the emails is every 15 mins through IMAP just like on BB10 and Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    I was speaking on everything from emails to applications.

05-05-13 09:31 AM
76 1234