It runs on Google's Android platform. So nothing new there but I hear so many saying what an awesome phone it is and how much better than any BlackBerry.
    I don't think so.
    Call me a "fanboi" if you wish but the truth of the matter is I just think BlackBerry makes a better phone.
    The Galaxy S4 is so complicated, the makers (Samsung) actually have a "dumbed-down" (Easy Mode) mode the phone can be put into. Now what doe that say?
    Many like it and say it is the best Android phone out there so I guess this comes back to what the users enjoys using as a phone.
    Really, they are all just phones people and to call someone a "fanboi" cause they like the BlackBerry, or to say the Galaxy or any other phone is superior is far from the truth.
    The truth it seems to me is they all have their pluses and they all have their minuses.
    It's like a marriage and finding the right companion ~ everyone is a bit "crazy", it's just a matter of finding the amount of "crazy" you can live with.
    godsgift123 likes this.
    05-02-13 03:59 PM
    For me android just isn't good to me. iOS although stable its just bland nowadays. Windows 8 phones well similar to how I don't like android w8 isn't my thing either. BB10 for me just is the better OS. Samsung GS4 could certainly be the best hardware for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    RazzBerry likes this.
    05-02-13 04:32 PM
    The s4 when you break it down is a minor upgrade to the s3.
    The biggest changes is the software which the s3 will get anyway.
    The HTC one beats the s4.

But as you say there are merits to each platform and what may work for you and me may not work for someone else

Posted via CB10
    RazzBerry likes this.
    05-03-13 09:25 AM
    For me I like android's flexibility, installing custom roms and all. and sammy is really innovative with the technology, theres lot of useful stuff like smart pause and all the eye based things. such things wont be seen in a , wp8 or BlackBerry as these platforms arent as flexible, more closed than open.
    I wish i could do that on BlackBerry.

however, the htc one does have advantages over s4, i am torn as to which phone do i like. the one has something the s4 doesnt and vice-versa for eg: htc once has fm radio while s4 scrapped it! then the octa core processor of the s4.

can someone send me a link or scores in quadrant for the s4 octa vs htc one s600?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Last edited by ojas541; 05-03-13 at 12:01 PM.
    05-03-13 09:39 AM
    The octa core is a slight improvement from the s3 and is purely a battery saving feature

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 11:06 AM
    For me I like android's flexibility, installing custom roms and all. and sammy is really innovative with the technology, theres lot of useful stuff like smart pause and all the eye based things. such things wont be seen in a i****, wp8 or BlackBerry as these platforms arent as flexible, more closed than open.

however, the htc one does have advantages over s4, i am torn as to which phone do i like. the one has something the s4 doesnt and vice-versa for eg: htc once has fm radio while s4 scrapped it! then the octa core processor of the s4.

can someone send me a link or scores in quadrant for the s4 octa vs htc one s600?

Is this what you are looking for? Or maybe this?
    05-03-13 11:29 AM
    oh thanks!

05-03-13 12:07 PM
    For me I like android's flexibility, installing custom roms and all. and sammy is really innovative with the technology, theres lot of useful stuff like smart pause and all the eye based things. such things wont be seen in a , wp8 or BlackBerry as these platforms arent as flexible, more closed than open.

Why exactly do you think that BlackBerry or Windows Phone could not implement eye tracking features with the front facing camera? You do realize that crappy looking skin on the Samsung phones is not open source right? You do realize that eye tracking software isn't some new revelation that Samsung invented and has been around for years right?

BB 10 especially could implement eye tracking software and map eye movement to gestures very easily since the entire UI is built around gestures instead of button presses already. They could roll it out in 10.2 if they really wanted to. But while I'm sure they've looked at the approach Samsung has taken, they are probably not to interested right now as it would be a drain on the battery, and I doubt many people will actually use it all that often.

Heck, if you want to be ambitious and think people are really clamoring for such features, learn how to use Cascades, find some open source eye tracking software, write your own or license some from some one else, write an app that maps eye movement to gestures in the various apps you want to be able to control, you'll have access to all the APIs you need to make it as functional as Samsung's offering, and sell it in BlackBerry World.
    05-03-13 01:06 PM
    Why exactly do you think that BlackBerry or Windows Phone could not implement eye tracking features with the front facing camera? You do realize that crappy looking skin on the Samsung phones is not open source right? You do realize that eye tracking software isn't some new revelation that Samsung invented and has been around for years right?

BB 10 especially could implement eye tracking software and map eye movement to gestures very easily since the entire UI is built around gestures instead of button presses already. They could roll it out in 10.2 if they really wanted to. But while I'm sure they've looked at the approach Samsung has taken, they are probably not to interested right now as it would be a drain on the battery, and I doubt many people will actually use it all that often.

Heck, if you want to be ambitious and think people are really clamoring for such features, learn how to use Cascades, find some open source eye tracking software, write your own or license some from some one else, write an app that maps eye movement to gestures in the various apps you want to be able to control, you'll have access to all the APIs you need to make it as functional as Samsung's offering, and sell it in BlackBerry World.
    Wowww!

writing an eye tracking app must be so easy no? then why the heck doesnt apple or windows come out with it? in fact these guys can probably do a better job. at least smart pause?

lol touchwiz? that thing can be easily replaced on multiple levels the simplest being downloading a launcher like nova. lol i cant believe you took the example of touchwiz, to show android is 'closed'

even if touchwiz isnt open, the OS UNDERNEATH is right?!?
    Battery drain? know what the size of the battery was in S3, S4?

and if bb plns on implementing eye tracking it will take ages, remember the original bb10 promise date?

some things are actually usable like smart pause?
    finally i dont think bb has time to worry about extra features. they are in knee deep **** anyway.

05-03-13 09:56 PM
    theres lot of useful stuff like smart pause and all the eye based things. such things wont be seen in a , wp8 or BlackBerry as these platforms arent as flexible, more closed than open.
    If we never see eye movement based functionality on BlackBerry 10 or Windows Phone 8 it will have absolutely nothing to do with those Operating Systems being inflexible and closed. Both BlackBerry and Microsoft could either develop the software to do it or license it from a company that already has the technology.

Both BB and MS add functionality to their Operating Systems using both methods all the time. BB10's Time Shift camera for example, is software licensed from Scalado (who have been bought by Nokia, BlackBerry should have bought them first!).

The real reason we may never see Samsung-like eye motion gestures on a BlackBerry is that BlackBerry aren't interested in the 'gimmick race' that Android phone makers have to take part in to differentiate their phones from each other. With the same OS underneath their custom user interfaces Android phone maker X has nothing left they can do but throw in gimmick after gimmick to make their phone seem different enough to Android phone maker Y's that a consumer will choose X over Y.

BlackBerry doesn't have that problem (at least right now, they do keep talking about being open to licensing their OS to third parties). Microsoft doesn't have that problem either. Both company's mobile Operating Systems, ecosystems and approaches are so different from each other and from Android and from iOS that they don't need to throw in as many gimmicks as they can to stand out from the crowd, a couple of gimmicks like the Time Shift camera are enough.

You don't see Apple pouring gimmick after gimmick in to iOS every year, you see gradual evolution partly because their mobile devices already stand out from the crowd. There are other reasons going on with Apple too such as manipulating expectation to maximise sales, but that's another story.

As a tech fan I love the quirky ideas Samsung are coming up with in the touch-less eye and gesture control area, but the fact is so far they are gimmickey. Many users find them more annoying than useful and turn them off. If one of Samsung's UI ideas turns out to be a killer user interface changer and they market it right, like Apple did with the touch screen, then we'd see BlackBerry and Microsoft have to react.

Now, a fully touch-less control interface for a mobile device would be a real user interface game changer, I'm sure developers at Samsung are headed in that direction. That's the kind of large scale user interface change that BlackBerry and Microsoft should also be researching and developing, to beat all their competitors to the next BIG thing while Android device manufacturers are distracted by having to add small eye candy gimmicks just to out do each other.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 10:13 AM
    The S4 is cracked up to what it should be if you drop it.

Posted from the beyond...
    05-04-13 10:48 AM
    LOL.

"BB could do it, but they are not interested, because it is a gimmick."

Sounds like the old response to touchscreens.

Guys... it's okay to look at other platforms, see stuff and say it is cool. If you really wanna go for broke, you can even *gasp* wish for those features to come to BB. Features (sorry... "gimmicks" when BB10 doesn't have them) are good!

Cute little kittens are NOT killed when someone suggests that BB10 could emulate something from the competition.

Or, we can indignantly defend the platform and claim that stuff like restricted access to email is a "security" feature.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    05-04-13 10:57 AM
    If i want a Q10 i will be paying nearly 1000$ lol

and i would want some good features yeah? plus not enough apps too.....

05-04-13 11:06 AM

But as you say there are merits to each platform and what may work for you and me may not work for someone else

Posted via CB10
    Well said.
    05-04-13 11:07 AM
    Um...easy mode is there for the non techy people who don't care about tweaking the hell out of their phones, its not because it "dumbs down" an overly complicated phone. Android is built for the people who love to tweak by there are still a lot of people who don't care to do that. THAT'S what easy mode is for.
    05-04-13 11:49 AM

Just remember that quadrant is useless. Those benchmark program's are so stupid. I remember getting 10 different results one after the other on the same gs3...

If it was me, as much as I loved my gs3, I'd go HTC One over the gs4. There's been a lot of bugs happening with the new features on the gs4 and touch wiz is overly bloated now compared to sense 5.
    05-04-13 11:53 AM
    Just remember that quadrant is useless. Those benchmark program's are so stupid. I remember getting 10 different results one after the other on the same gs3...

If it was me, as much as I loved my gs3, I'd go HTC One over the gs4. There's been a lot of bugs happening with the new features on the gs4 and touch wiz is overly bloated now compared to sense 5.
    sens 5 is really to my tastes, it looks classy except blinkfeed.

but i realized it doesnt matter which phone i go for, in the end i will be rooting it and flashing so custom OS

quadrant is useless, antutu makes more sense, and then theres 3D Mark which no one cares about. oh btw samsung claims an update is coming for the octa which will increase its performance by 10%--->i dont buy it 10% is too much

reeneebob likes this.
    05-04-13 12:19 PM
    LOL.

"BB could do it, but they are not interested, because it is a gimmick."

Sounds like the old response to touchscreens.
    Who are you quoting there?

Not me that's for sure. Oh wait, you had to intentionally MISQUOTE me in order to twist what I explained to fit your notion of BlackBerry owners always defending BB's lack of eye candy, bells, whistles, fireworks and fairy lights on their phones by dismissing such things as unnecessary just because BlackBerry didn't think of them or put them on their phones. What? You think BlackBerry people are like Apple fans who live in the Reality Distortion Field where something shouldn't be considered a good idea if Apple didn't put it in their products? Oh man.

Good luck with intentionally misquoting people in life, until one day you get sued for libel.

Trolling here won't get you in to a 'My platform is better than your platform' childish debate no matter how hard you try. BlackBerry people know that what works for you and presses your buttons on whatever type of phone you use is what works for you. Good health to you and enjoy using your phone. BlackBerry doesn't sound like the platform for you, and you don't sound like their target customer. Read below if you want to find out why, otherwise move along, there is nothing you can learn here.

I explained why BlackBerry are in a market where they don't need Samsung's bell and whistle bolt-ons to sell phones. Android phone manufacturers need them to compete against each other for their crowded target market, the consumer market.

Apple also target the consumer market but notice how, like BlackBerry, they don't tart up their mobile devices with Samsung-style bells, whistles and eye candy? Apple target the high end consumer market, but specifically those with elitist preferences for design and style, for form over function and simplicity, the very things Apple had built up its brand image to represent. Apple doesn't need Samsung style bells and whistles in that market to differentiate and sell phones.

BlackBerry's are targetting BlackBerry 10 at a very specific market, coining their own phrase for it the 'hyper-connected individuals', communication centred professionals in the workplace who are employed by companies and organisations where certified security of their data is needed but who also use their work phone at home - the Work and Personal Balance. BlackBerry doesn't need Samsung style bells and whistles in that market to differentiate and sell phones.

Microsoft and their hardware partners are targeting Windows Phone at... well I think that's part of their problem, I'm not sure that they even know. XBOX gamers maybe? It's not going down well in consumer land and it sure isn't been pushed at Enterprise, odd for a company who made it as a global force in the workplace. Microsoft are all at sea on the Desktop and in Mobile.

Rightly or wrongly, and I do wonder if they've chosen the right path, BlackBerry aren't aiming their phones at the gimmick obsessed "Ooh that's a cool toy, I'll play with that for a few minutes and then never use it again" consumer market. That's the Android market. It's full of sometimes amazing and sometimes totally frivellous ideas, but it's not the market BlackBerry are going for.

BlackBerry considered becoming just another Android pedaller instead of developing their own next generation OS but because of the lack of difference between Android products from one manufacturer to another and the attention grabbing eye candy feature race you have to be part of to get sales they chose against it and chose to developed their own OS and focus on being THE smartphone for a specific market, the workplace. Thorsten's long term strategy is focusing on Enterprise features. BlackBerry as phones for people in the workplace getting their work done first and as a consumer gadget second. Not saying that's the right focus, just saying that's what they are doing.

Consumer eye candy is not high on Blackberry's must-have list. Things like having a great touch, and physical, keyboard and having truly secure access to your internal work email, documents, shares on your internal file servers, Intranet sites and company databases ARE high on BlackBerry's must have list. Without an expensive VPN solution Android, iOS and Windows Phone can't do that for a workplace. BlackBerry are bringing their secure separation of Work and Personal data to iOS and Android devices on their Mobile Device Management solution BES10 to bring their certified security to competitor's mobile devices giving Enterprise the confidence and flexibility to deploy those devices or allow Bring Your Own Device and yet know that their data is secured by BlackBerry, for the cost of a device CAL paid to BlackBerry of course. When that BlackBerry 10, iOS or Android device goes home with its user the Personal side can be used as a toy while the Work side remains secure. BES10 opens up this flexibly or Balance between Work and Personal cross-platform while retaining security for those who need it at the highest level; Government, Finance, Military... huge customers. Non-BlackBerry solutions to achieve this through MDM are more expensive and are still in their embryonic stages. It's Enterprise where BlackBerry are focusing their innovation not on bells, whistles and fairy lights for the "Ooh that's a cool toy" consumer market.

That doesn't mean BlackBerry shouldn't be researching new phone innovations that others have put in to their phones. I said BlackBerry should be developing the next BIG thing to revolutionise entire User Interfaces rather than bolt-ons for existing user interfaces. Pure touch-less gesture control is the obvious avenue to explore, but they don't have to explore it through implementing it though gimmicks on their current touch phones. I'd like to see BlackBerry 11 or 12 phones as the pure touch-less gesture phone platform that starts another revolution in how we use our phones and mobile devices. BlackBerry needs to revolutionise the industry if it is to lead again. Can they? Who knows!

The touch screens revolution didn't start through gimmicks bolted on to an existing keyboard User Interface, it was an all-in paradigm switch. Touch screens weren't even new to the phone market when Apple introduced them either, Apple just did a better job of it than others who had failed before them.

It is totally true that once Apple proved that touch was a better user experience overall than physical buttons BlackBerry failed miserably to adapt to the the touch screen revolution by not changing the ethos behind company's whole product line 5 years ago. Only now have they started to deliver what they should have in 2009/2010. They rushed out the "Me Too!" BlackBerry Storm in 2008 but still thought their focus should be physical Qwerty phones, and why not their market share, stock price and profits were strong, at the time! A great lesson in complacency. Old RIM's management failed to see both the touch revolution and their fast paced decline in relevancy coming but at least BlackBerry have the right man in charge now and are delivering relevant products again. Many said the company would die before the BB10 platform ever launched, Thorsten proved them wrong, let's see if he can keep proving the doubters wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 05-04-13 at 03:27 PM.
    Zedi Master likes this.
    05-04-13 02:29 PM
    My missus has a Samsung Galaxy S3. Last weekend we went to see the S4, and even she said she couldn't see what the fuss was about. I do like the 'square' siding to the device, and the camera. That's it...
    05-04-13 03:04 PM
    My missus has a Samsung Galaxy S3. Last weekend we went to see the S4, and even she said she couldn't see what the fuss was about. I do like the 'square' siding to the device, and the camera. That's it...
    For S3 users, I don't think it'll be that big of a jump. Those who skipped the S3 for whatever reason might be more enthralled with the S4.

I think the S3 did create a lot of mindshare for Samsung that will last for a while.
    05-04-13 03:16 PM
    Who are you quoting there?

Not me that's for sure. Oh wait, you had to intentionally MISQUOTE me in order to twist what I explained to fit your notion of BlackBerry owners always defending BB's lack of eye candy, bells, whistles, fireworks and fairy lights on their phones by dismissing such things as unnecessary just because BlackBerry didn't think of them or put them on their phones. What? You think BlackBerry people are like Apple fans who live in the Reality Distortion Field where something shouldn't be considered a good idea if Apple didn't put it in their products? Oh man.

Good luck with intentionally misquoting people in life, until one day you get sued for libel.

Trolling here won't get you in to a 'My platform is better than your platform' childish debate no matter how hard you try. BlackBerry people know that what works for you and presses your buttons on whatever type of phone you use is what works for you. Good health to you and enjoy using your phone. BlackBerry doesn't sound like the platform for you, and you don't sound like their target customer. Read below if you want to find out why, otherwise move along, there is nothing you can learn here.

I explained why BlackBerry are in a market where they don't need Samsung's bell and whistle bolt-ons to sell phones. Android phone manufacturers need them to compete against each other for their crowded target market, the consumer market.

Apple also target the consumer market but notice how, like BlackBerry, they don't tart up their mobile devices with Samsung-style bells, whistles and eye candy? Apple target the high end consumer market, but specifically those with elitist preferences for design and style, for form over function and simplicity, the very things Apple had built up its brand image to represent. Apple doesn't need Samsung style bells and whistles in that market to differentiate and sell phones.

BlackBerry's are targetting BlackBerry 10 at a very specific market, coining their own phrase for it the 'hyper-connected individuals', communication centred professionals in the workplace who are employed by companies and organisations where certified security of their data is needed but who also use their work phone at home - the Work and Personal Balance. BlackBerry doesn't need Samsung style bells and whistles in that market to differentiate and sell phones.

Microsoft and their hardware partners are targeting Windows Phone at... well I think that's part of their problem, I'm not sure that they even know. XBOX gamers maybe? It's not going down well in consumer land and it sure isn't been pushed at Enterprise, odd for a company who made it as a global force in the workplace. Microsoft are all at sea on the Desktop and in Mobile.

Rightly or wrongly, and I do wonder if they've chosen the right path, BlackBerry aren't aiming their phones at the gimmick obsessed "Ooh that's a cool toy, I'll play with that for a few minutes and then never use it again" consumer market. That's the Android market. It's full of sometimes amazing and sometimes totally frivellous ideas, but it's not the market BlackBerry are going for.

BlackBerry considered becoming just another Android pedaller instead of developing their own next generation OS but because of the lack of difference between Android products from one manufacturer to another and the attention grabbing eye candy feature race you have to be part of to get sales they chose against it and chose to developed their own OS and focus on being THE smartphone for a specific market, the workplace. Thorsten's long term strategy is focusing on Enterprise features. BlackBerry as phones for people in the workplace getting their work done first and as a consumer gadget second. Not saying that's the right focus, just saying that's what they are doing.

Consumer eye candy is not high on Blackberry's must-have list. Things like having a great touch, and physical, keyboard and having truly secure access to your internal work email, documents, shares on your internal file servers, Intranet sites and company databases ARE high on BlackBerry's must have list. Without an expensive VPN solution Android, iOS and Windows Phone can't do that for a workplace. BlackBerry are bringing their secure separation of Work and Personal data to iOS and Android devices on their Mobile Device Management solution BES10 to bring their certified security to competitor's mobile devices giving Enterprise the confidence and flexibility to deploy those devices or allow Bring Your Own Device and yet know that their data is secured by BlackBerry, for the cost of a device CAL paid to BlackBerry of course. When that BlackBerry 10, iOS or Android device goes home with its user the Personal side can be used as a toy while the Work side remains secure. BES10 opens up this flexibly or Balance between Work and Personal cross-platform while retaining security for those who need it at the highest level; Government, Finance, Military... huge customers. Non-BlackBerry solutions to achieve this through MDM are more expensive and are still in their embryonic stages. It's Enterprise where BlackBerry are focusing their innovation not on bells, whistles and fairy lights for the "Ooh that's a cool toy" consumer market.

That doesn't mean BlackBerry shouldn't be researching new phone innovations that others have put in to their phones. I said BlackBerry should be developing the next BIG thing to revolutionise entire User Interfaces rather than bolt-ons for existing user interfaces. Pure touch-less gesture control is the obvious avenue to explore, but they don't have to explore it through implementing it though gimmicks on their current touch phones. I'd like to see BlackBerry 11 or 12 phones as the pure touch-less gesture phone platform that starts another revolution in how we use our phones and mobile devices. BlackBerry needs to revolutionise the industry if it is to lead again. Can they? Who knows!

The touch screens revolution didn't start through gimmicks bolted on to an existing keyboard User Interface, it was an all-in paradigm switch. Touch screens weren't even new to the phone market when Apple introduced them either, Apple just did a better job of it than others who had failed before them.

It is totally true that once Apple proved that touch was a better user experience overall than physical buttons BlackBerry failed miserably to adapt to the the touch screen revolution by not changing the ethos behind company's whole product line 5 years ago. Only now have they started to deliver what they should have in 2009/2010. They rushed out the "Me Too!" BlackBerry Storm in 2008 but still thought their focus should be physical Qwerty phones, and why not their market share, stock price and profits were strong, at the time! A great lesson in complacency. Old RIM's management failed to see both the touch revolution and their fast paced decline in relevancy coming but at least BlackBerry have the right man in charge now and are delivering relevant products again. Many said the company would die before the BB10 platform ever launched, Thorsten proved them wrong, let's see if he can keep proving the doubters wrong.

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry weren't trying to court the Samsung and Apple users, we wouldn't be holding BB10 devices.

And being one of the agnostics who have used everything I've taken a lot of abuse from some of the BlackBerry people here that you portray as being above it all, as have others (including calls for Kevin to step down to roofing a story for imore to help them out).

Don't presume that BlackBerry users are so much better than Apple or Samsung users.

There's a lot in agree with in what you said, but some of it was a bit fanboy is in itself.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:09 PM
    How does a warm and friendly thread 'turn' so quickly? Rhetorical of course.

Please stay on topic and no name calling and finger pointing! Seriously...
    05-04-13 04:24 PM
    Don't presume that BlackBerry users are so much better than Apple or Samsung users.

There's a lot in agree with in what you said, but some of it was a bit fanboy is in itself.
    Well hey this is BlackBerry fan forum after all.

I don't usually feed the trolls but someone trying to say BlackBerry doesn't have eye motion gestures because it's a closed source Operating System just wound me up and needed debunking and explaining as why it's not a high priority for BlackBerry to just bolt features on copycat style. If a technology fundamentally revolutionises the user interface then fair enough but design the whole user interface for it from scratch don't just bolt on.

Over the years as a device for trying to get work done on I've used BlackBerry, Windows Mobile (shudder), Android and iOS phones and tablets. All have their pros and cons but I've found BlackBerry's approach to being a primarily a work device as being the best for me. I wouldn't say I'm a typical consumer when it comes to mobile devices, for me they are for work first and play second. Guess that's why BlackBerry is a good fit for me.

Just out of interest do BlackBerry users troll the Android forums nowadays? We seem to get that a lot here.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:20 PM
    How does a warm and friendly thread 'turn' so quickly? Rhetorical of course.

Please stay on topic and no name calling and finger pointing! Seriously...
    I guess a post that was being negative about Samsung's flagship Android phone in a Blackberry forum was always going to attract the attention of trolls.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:24 PM
    If i want a Q10 i will be paying nearly 1000$ lol

and i would want some good features yeah? plus not enough apps too.....

Did you say $1000? Why that much?

I'd be the first to say that the BB10 app experience is somewhat lacking, but if you are not afraid to tinker, you should be able to have access to a good bunch of apps.
    Quality of said apps seem to vary, though.
    05-04-13 07:25 PM
76 123 ...