Cool article that makes me chuckle..

Seven fairly common gizmos you might just look cooler without

Introduction

Gadgets are confusing.

According to a recent Pew study, almost 90 percent of American nuclear households (married with kids) have multiple cell phones. How that happened when other studies keep demonstrating cell phone use by men is associated with less "motile" sperm is anyone's guess.

But again, gadgets are a conundrum. The iPhone, for instance, still has no copy-and-paste, which kind of sprains the brain doesn't it?

Further enhancing gadgetry's yin and yang nature is that while sometimes tech makes you appear hip, assertive and dynamic, it can just as easily make you look like an utter pain.

So, before you rush out to buy Apple's new laptop or BlackBerry's new Storm, click the arrows above for seven high-profile gadgets you might look cooler without.

Alex Wong / Getty Images file
    BlackBerry

Most people get a BlackBerry (or "CrackBerry") for work so they no longer have to talk to their loved ones. They're like the work version of the iPhone, and that's what makes them tough to deal with.

Look, we don't come to your office and pretend it's the bar. It's awesome that you can take your important work with you everywhere, but the converse is that you're taking us with you to your office against our will. And ya know ... we're not paid for that.

If you must check e-mail while you're out with your friends, for the love of God, buy a round, make your apologies and sod off to the corner. Don't make friends feel guilty for putting social lives ahead of an 80-hour work week. Oh and what is it you do anyway? Ruin mortgage lending for the rest of us? Get over yourself.

Cool if: You're a world-traveling MBA

Not cool if: Listen, we've all talked, and there's a reason we're playing "Cat's in the Cradle" every time you call us. This is an intervention.

Bluetooth

Hey buddy, ya' got something stuck in your ear.

On the upside, a Bluetooth headset is a hands-free wireless earpiece for your phone. On the downside, you risk looking like either a crazy person or a self-important ponce.

If you're wearing a suit and tie, you might avoid looking crazy, but only by appearing to be the kind of **** who utters nonsense like "leverage" and "monetize" without a hint of irony.

And P.S., you're shouting. When you walk around blaring away on your Bluetooth, everyone else has to listen. Do you mind? People are trying not to hear about your life over here!

Cool if: You're using it in private spaces like your car or desk.

Not cool if: You're using it where you look like a ****, which is everywhere else.

Prnewsfoto / TiVo Inc.
    TiVo

This is really only a problem if you must go on and on and on about it. And we know you must.

TiVo undoubtedly improves your ability to watch TV. It liberates you from the tyranny of network schedules. It lets you rewind live TV. It even goes out and finds new shows you'll like. So, go on with your bad self and enjoy your TV-watching, but for God's sake, please stop yapping about it in everyone's ears.

Here's why: It's TV. Which is to say, it's just not that important. It's not a hobby, it's not self-improving and it's not going to cure cancer. Practice won't make you better at it, and no matter how good your gadgets, the difference between seeing who's dancing with the stars now and you know, not, is ... hold on ... carry the one ... oh look at that: Not a big deal at all.

Cool if: You enjoy it quietly at home.

Not cool if: You talk about it like it's the product of successful stem-cell research.
    12-13-08 03:49 PM
    Paul Sakuma / AP file
    Apple's MacBook Air

Oh you are such a sucker if you bought one of these.

Apple's new MacBook Pro, meanwhile, is crafted from aluminum using a process code-named "Brick" that involves lasers and water (... and unicorns and David Bowie and trucker hats and whatever else is hip in places like Brooklyn these days).

But the MacBook Air? No amount of breathless advertising sufficiently obscures the fact that you paid a premium for an elegantly designed, under-featured, overpriced laptop without an optical drive.

What does it do? It fits in an interoffice mail envelope and it has rounded edges. Forward that junk to Frank in Design. After all, everyone already knows he's a self-indulgent boob.

Cool if: You're a rich, self-indulgent trend-follower.

Not cool if: You'd like to avoid looking like such a rich, self-indulgent trend-follower.

iPod accessories

Okay, we get it. You're hip.

Now plug your stinking iPod into your old stereo like everyone else. Buying molded white plastic schlock isn't going to hip up your dorm room or office. And while you're at it, stop listening to Mars Volta. It's over. We're onto you.

Moreover, is it the headphones themselves or the iPod owners who ensure that one headphone bud is always dangling outside of its intended ear?

Non-iPod-owning mass transit riders asked that this message be passed along: "People who leave one headphone dangling should put their heads between the closing doors."

Cool if: You own stock in Apple.

Not cool if: You don't.

Linux

Linux is great. It's a free, open-source operating system (OS) based on work done by Linus Torvalds in the early '90s. Again, it's free, powerful and easy to ...

Oh wait, it's a pain to use. Let's get this straight: Linux is very good, and leads the charge in an ongoing revolution in free software. However, a lot of Linux users out there give the whole thing a poor name. They forget that most people don't know as much as they do about computers. Some people garden, write poetry, fall in love or ... er, bloviate about gadgetry.

Please don't confuse your fanaticism with superiority and, for the love of Jobs, stop telling us we're sheep under the sway of Microsoft. No one likes Comcast either, but until it's convenient to string our own fiber optic cable we're sticking with it. (Msnbc.com is a Microsoft-NBC Universal joint venture.)

Cool if: You're not heaping disdain on the rest of us, or maybe if you're in charge of a server farm.

Not cool if: You feel your mastery of computers excuses your inability to control a neck-beard.

J. Scott Applewhite / AP file
    Segway

It's gotten laughs on "Futurama," "The Simpsons" and "The Daily Show." (Remember when W. took a header off one?) That said, it deserves more.

The Segway was pitched as the product to revolutionize transport -- at least for that difficult-to-negotiate distance that's inconvenient to walk but doesn't call for a car. Instead Segways are used primarily by tour groups, visibly embarrassed police or postal officers, and very rich people who, no joke, play polo on them.

The worst thing about the Segway is the disappointment. Dean Kamen designed a personal dialysis machine, a wheelchair that can stand up, walk up stairs and go off-road, and more recently, the "Luke Arm," a strap-on prosthetic named for Luke Skywalker's from "Star Wars."

So when you hear that Kamen's working on a top-secret project mysteriously referred to by the code name "It," you take notice. Then you get this thing that looks like a desk lamp had its way with a pogo stick.

Cool if: Nope!
    12-13-08 03:50 PM
    I saw this on MSNBC a few days ago and I've been thinking about it ever since. Seems to me the people they were talking about may have been A******s before they picked up a blackberry [or perhaps they were in the advanced stages of their crackberry addiction].

A lot of my colleagues use or have upgraded to blackberrys and we are all good people who work hard to make a difference. We just want to stay connected to all the wonderful people who matter to us.

I guess when you're on the outside looking in at the world of crackberry, it's easy to judge.

lcg...
    12-13-08 08:21 PM
    I guess when you're on the outside looking in at the world of crackberry, it's easy to judge.
    Hardly. I still remember a couple of months ago I asked a friend out to lunch.
    As soon as she arrived she whipped out her phone and put it on the table.
    The first alert she picks it up and starts typing away. I got up, explained that
    I was not interested in witnessing her BB skills and left. She hasn't done that
    BS since.

Somehow people think that because they have a device that makes
    communication easy they HAVE to use it all the time. In social settings I never
    even look at my phone. The people are why I'm there. Anything happening on
    my phone can f%^$#ng wait. Anyone who can't wrap their mind around that
    concept fits the definition laid out in this article.
    12-13-08 11:28 PM
    I laughed when I read about the Segway. The rest of it seems like a bunch of b i tching, however. You cannot control other people; you can only control yourself. This person wrote this article because of what THEY felt toward the gadgets, not based on true fact. Nothing to get riled over, just something to giggle about before you text all of your friends and send massive emails via bb to tell them about the thread.
    12-13-08 11:58 PM
    You cannot control other people; you can only control yourself. This person wrote this article because of what THEY felt toward the gadgets,
    Wrong. My best friend now knows and understands that if I am going to forgo
    my BB to sit and talk with her, she has to do EXACTLY the same, or this guy
    will leave her sitting alone.

In fact, she has dramatically curbed her BB use in most social environments. It
    just took someone to point out to her that she was being rude, stupid and
    a$$holish.
    12-14-08 01:27 AM
    (moderated)
    Last edited by kirbz; 12-14-08 at 08:29 AM.
    12-14-08 03:26 AM
    It is hard for some to understand what many of us are doing. I have joked that we will have a CB meeting and we'll all stand around texting each other. Of course that's a joke. I do put my berry down and talk to people. It is rude to talk on one's device when at lunch with someone else. It's like in the middle of a conversation, you turn around and talk to someone at the table behind you. I don't answer me phone in a checkout line or while talking with a bank clerk.

That said, many don't realize we are talking to others when we're hunched over our devices, thumbs working the keys. I pointed that out to someone who said something to me while I was sitting on a bench texting my kids. I feel some people are deprived because there is a whole world out there they do not know about, and avoid because they do not understand.

These devices are the future. They are becoming our connection to each other and our jobs. My staff uses PDA's to do their jobs. All data and information is entered into a handheld and sent wirelessly to our server. I then pull the data out to make decisions and enter equipment and process changes into my PC. Soon I will be entering these changes in a handheld. My grocery clerk runs the store's self checkout registers with a handheld. If one does not learn the technology, they will be left behind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 10:50 AM
    i love the part where it says "to avoid talking to loved ones"--that's me!
    12-14-08 01:55 PM
    Haha, I actually talk to loved ones more with it, and they know who they are,

12-14-08 01:59 PM
    lol i wear a bluetooth headset 24/7!!! i only take it off when i go to bed, and when i go take a shower. bluetooth and blackberry are the greatest inventions ever made.
    12-15-08 01:22 PM
    Hardly. I still remember a couple of months ago I asked a friend out to lunch.
    As soon as she arrived she whipped out her phone and put it on the table.
    The first alert she picks it up and starts typing away. I got up, explained that
    I was not interested in witnessing her BB skills and left. She hasn't done that
    BS since.

Somehow people think that because they have a device that makes
    communication easy they HAVE to use it all the time. In social settings I never
    even look at my phone. The people are why I'm there. Anything happening on
    my phone can f%^$#ng wait. Anyone who can't wrap their mind around that
    concept fits the definition laid out in this article.
    But not all of us who use bb's act like that. There are a lot of people who act as if their cell phone is the center of their world. But I don't agree with generalizing that all bb users are self-centered jerks.

lcg...
    12-15-08 01:54 PM
    It is hard for some to understand what many of us are doing. I have joked that we will have a CB meeting and we'll all stand around texting each other. Of course that's a joke. I do put my berry down and talk to people. It is rude to talk on one's device when at lunch with someone else. It's like in the middle of a conversation, you turn around and talk to someone at the table behind you. I don't answer me phone in a checkout line or while talking with a bank clerk.

That said, many don't realize we are talking to others when we're hunched over our devices, thumbs working the keys. I pointed that out to someone who said something to me while I was sitting on a bench texting my kids. I feel some people are deprived because there is a whole world out there they do not know about, and avoid because they do not understand.

These devices are the future. They are becoming our connection to each other and our jobs. My staff uses PDA's to do their jobs. All data and information is entered into a handheld and sent wirelessly to our server. I then pull the data out to make decisions and enter equipment and process changes into my PC. Soon I will be entering these changes in a handheld. My grocery clerk runs the store's self checkout registers with a handheld. If one does not learn the technology, they will be left behind.

Don't blame the tech for people without people skills.

Using my blackberry makes me appreciate my loved ones even more. I started using it to get organized and keep in touch with my family, as we move in different directions sometimes. but when the work day's done I leave it on the table and spend quality time with everyone I care about.

lcg...
    12-15-08 02:00 PM
    but when the work day's done I leave it on the table and spend quality time with everyone I care about.
    Same here.

But not all of us who use bb's act like that. There are a lot of people who act as if their cell phone is the center of their world. But I don't agree with generalizing that all bb users are self-centered jerks.

lcg...
    And I didn't. I pointed out one specific example.
    12-15-08 05:07 PM
    It not just us crackberry addicts my friend took me to get my license renewed, I sort of let them expire on accident, but he was constantly on his razor like it was so important. I asked what he was doing? Myspace on his razor. So I pulled up the full crackberry page on my BB and let him see all the ringtones and stuff. He asked if he could view it on his phone I said sure if that razor can pull up www. Web pages. They not designed for it but BB can.
    Normal phone users scare me sometimes.

12-15-08 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD