so here's the deal. my friend forgot his laptop at home the other day and i said he could use mine. woops, he spills a good bit of beer just all over it. we pick it up, damp off all the beer, take out the battery, and hang it up to dry. i put a fan in front of it the next day, and i let it sit like that for a week.

when all of this happened, he said "dude i will totally buy you a new one if it's broken" but that day came and i've been testing the stuff for a few hours. here are my results

the computer turned on, and the screen looks okay. nothing wrong there. the keys were fine except for the right third of the keyboard...those were a bit crusty, im guessing this is where the beer was, but after pressing them in and out a bunch, they are fine too.

after a while, i started to notice that when i turn the computer time, it takes quite a bit longer to load up the operating system. also, I can't get the bluetooth to work. actually i can't even get it to install, b/c it doesn't detect that there is a bluetooth device connected (mine is on board). you see, i was halfway through setting up windows 7 on it, as i had had the RC and it was expiring. i had finished the Win7 installation literally 15 minutes before he got home and asked to use my computer. so, when the beer had dried out, i just picked up where i had left off a week ago, and began installing all of the drivers. but i can't get the bluetooth driver to install at all. i know that it could be something else. i don't actually even use the bluetooth that often. but i also know that liquid damage can take a while to fully show up, and this could only be a slow sign. if this were all it was, i don't think i would care. but i don't want to say "yea it's fine" and then months later have some issue show up.

but i always don't want to look like the **** roommate who says "yea this minor thing isn't working buy me a new one." of course, this is the same roommate who spilled beer on my 8300 (RIP) forcing me to use an update to get a crappy htc touch pro before i could get another berry 9700 (Yay!) and i never had him give me any money for that, since I had a free update.

so what do you guys think? would a computer shop be able to tell me definitively that yes, there is water damage and it's only going to get worse. should I tell my roommate sorry, but i don't feel comfortable and i'd rather you buy me a new laptop. should I have him just get a new bluetooth installed? it's onboard, so would that mean a whole new motherboard?

so many questions, i just wanted some input from all the crackheads out there. didn't know where else to post

thanks!

parker
    04-11-10 03:20 AM
    Yes.
    See what computer shop says.
    If something is in fact broken you may just want to make sure nothing else is messed up.

ie- wifi, vidcard, everything
    Check if the LED lights are working and make sure that windows 7 is working optimally.
    Just check everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 12:43 PM
    Yes, a computer shop would be able to diagnose anything that is wrong with your laptop.

If I had a klutzy roommate who ruined a BlackBerry and and computer, I'd be looking for a new roommate!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-11-10 12:48 PM
    You picked the right spot to post.
    04-11-10 01:00 PM
    I suggest beating the crap out of your friend.
    04-11-10 01:54 PM
    I've never gone to a computer repair shop...how much you imagine they'd charge

And yes, klutz, but I love him

04-11-10 01:55 PM
    Oh and I should mention...if I hypothetically had an unlegit copy of win7 installed, should that be something i would need to hypothetically worry about?

04-11-10 01:56 PM
    A nulled version of Win7 probably doesnt help. That...and your processor (as well as the other internal components) didn't really enjoy the beer bath.
    Last edited by 12MaNy; 04-11-10 at 02:01 PM.
    04-11-10 01:58 PM
    A nulled version of Win7 probably doesnt help.
    What do u mean? It is bad for my tests or bad to take in to the shop. For the record, bluetooth worked on the RC

04-11-10 02:15 PM
    What do u mean? It is bad for my tests or bad to take in to the shop. For the record, bluetooth worked on the RC
    Nulled softare doesn't perform as well as registered software....just saying.
    04-11-10 03:06 PM

If you have nulled software it will prompt you every few minute about it being a fail.
    If it bothers you then ask a friend for a copy.

04-11-10 11:57 PM
    I've been running the same version on my pc for weeks, no problem

04-12-10 02:09 AM
    Let us know how you make out!
    04-12-10 10:41 AM
    The naturally occurring chemicals in the beer will slowly, if not already, wreak havoc on any electronics it comes in contact with. I'd say the laptop is toast. Were you able to salvage any of the beer?
    04-12-10 10:56 AM
    Just rip it open and clean it with 100% rubbing alcohol and a brush from a local electronics supply place. Make sure to get any brush with a label like "ESD". That means it's static safe.

Seen this a hundred times, it's easy to fix. Just stop running it and get it cleaned.
    04-12-10 12:51 PM
    eeeeeek the idea of pouring rubbing alcohol allover makes me cringe. that wouldn't do further damage? any more specific instructions, or proper links?

also, after a few windows updates, bluetooth is "working"...it sees my other bluetooth device i.e. the trusty bb9700, but doesn't keep a good connex. of course, this happened frequently beforehand too, at least, it did until i got the settings juuuuust right.
    04-13-10 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD