Perseids: Best Meteor Viewing Tonight

Tonight will be a great chance to see the Perseid meteor shower at its peak�and the annual sky show is especially dazzling this year.
    The Perseids light up the night when Earth passes through a trail of debris left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle, which swings past the sun roughly every 130 years. (See Perseids pictures.)

Perseids start streaking across the sky as early as July and continue through late August. But the meteors usually peak in mid-August, with average rates of 70 to 80 shooting stars an hour.
    Powerful Perseids This Year
    This year's Perseids are even showier than normal, with an expected peak rate of a hundred meteors an hour. Wednesday night through Thursday dawn offeres viewers the best chance to see the most Perseids without as much glare from the waning gibbous�or just past full�moon.

After tonight, though, the numbers of shooting stars should taper off, with a rare bright streak appearing only occasionally.
    08-11-10 12:48 PM
    Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 12:54 PM
    You're welcome. I love sitting out on a nice summer night watching the stars and fireflies.
    08-11-10 01:31 PM
    That sounds like a great idea. Spend time with the family... Ask my daughter about her first day of school..... Spend time with our newborn..... And with the wifey.....

08-11-10 01:54 PM
    Nope. Saw nothing.

08-12-10 12:55 AM
    Don't know if its because of light pollution but Nope. Saw nothing.

08-12-10 12:56 AM
    I see nothing, but that's because of clouds.

08-12-10 02:13 AM
    Tonight should be another great night, if the weather cooperates. Best to find a dark spot away from city lights and lay on your back, not stand and try to look up. I had terrible thunderstorms here most of the night so not much chance to view either.
    08-12-10 06:42 AM
    saw nothing here either
    08-12-10 03:46 PM
    Total cloud cover last night. I have seen it before though.
    08-13-10 06:39 AM
    Again saw nothing.... I give up

08-13-10 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD