I had no idea what being a MOD, on a forum would entail. I spent many hours and days glued to forums, CrackBerry.com, in particular. There were many reason for this; willing to help; willing to organize; willing to assist with the overall development of the forum and threads.

Spring forward 8 years, and Ive noticed a considerable change in the tone of forums, and people in general. Bear in mind, this isnt just in relation to CrackBerry.com, iMore, or the Mobile Nations brand, but quite a few forums. Im writing this post here, since 90% of my time is spent here (check my stats; the proof is in the pudding).

Members, i.e. the general public, have become very demanding, at times, simply unruly. Why is that? There are also some long standing members that seem to have become inundated with seeing the same repetitive questions. With that they simply get agitated at seeing the same\similar questions, and they lose it. You can often feel their annoyance based on their posts in various threads. Again, why is that?

On a few occasions, Ive tried to step back into the MOD role. Alas, the barrage and tone of members, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and my fingers simply refuse to work

Mind you, I love participating in forums, and I like offering people ideas to help them resolve issues, or even general chit chat. And thats probably why I keep coming back to the forums, and even posting this post. They say, One man can change the world

My issue now is, I wish people would take a step back, and realise that people are people, i.e. human. And, yes, forums will have repetitive questions, repetitive responses and repetitive issues. Hence, help each other. After all, isnt a forum about communicating?
    Forums have changed-forum.jpg

Remember this, a forum is no good without the people, posts, threads and communication. Just saying

Ivan
    07-20-15 08:05 AM
    Thanks for the pep talk Ivan!
    It's pretty tough out there at times. People are just very rude and demanding. I answer as many questions as the next person but even I am at the end of my rope sometimes. Can only have a certain amount of patience before frustration builds up. most people want want want and don't bother to search for themselves. That's the biggest issue here. They buy a 600 dollar phone and invest 0 minutes in reading or searching for answers.
    PS We miss you!!!!!!!!!!
    07-20-15 08:19 AM
    Wow long time member!

BlackBerry -Secured to the Core | CB MOD
    bunky1971 and jaydee5799 like this.
    07-20-15 08:23 AM
    I DEMAND that you change your name back to Navi!
    07-20-15 08:24 AM
    I DEMAND that you change your name back to Navi!
    hahahahahahahaa
    bunky1971 likes this.
    07-20-15 08:30 AM
    Guilty! I find that I often lose my patience on Crackberry these days. My biggest issue is with people who get downright nasty and call you a troll just because you may use another brand of phone. In my case, I use a Samsung Note 4 AND a Z10. I have been told by some that I should not be posting on CrackBerry because I use a Samsung. I've been a member since 2009 and have been a BlackBerry fan and user since my first device, an 8100. I'm not here much these days because I just don't have the patience for the nonsense that I see on this site now. I miss the old days when I really learned a lot and got help when I needed it. There are still good, helpful people like yourself on this site, but it just isn't the same. I've learned much from you Navi, sorry, Ivan ....over the years ...thank you.
    07-20-15 09:05 AM
    Loving the conversation, keep 'em coming...
    07-20-15 01:15 PM
    I very much agree with you. I think sometimes new members aren't welcomed very warmly when they ask a question and get a curt or abrupt answer.

Long timers always point to "if you would have taken the time to search", stated in so many ways and many times not nicely. But I always think that new members are lucky if they just get the question they are asking in the right forum, let alone knowing the best way to search.

We may have seen the question a million times, but this is the first time they are asking it and quite possibly their first visit to our forum. Heck, they don't even know where the bathrooms are yet.....

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.3.2.858
    shaleem and sam81 like this.
    07-20-15 01:42 PM
    I very much agree with you. I think sometimes new members aren't welcomed very warmly when they ask a question and get a curt or abrupt answer.

Long timers always point to "if you would have taken the time to search", stated in so many ways and many times not nicely. But I always think that new members are lucky if they just get the question they are asking in the right forum, let alone knowing the best way to search.

We may have seen the question a million times, but this is the first time they are asking it and quite possibly their first visit to our forum. Heck, they don't even know where the bathrooms are yet.....

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.3.2.858
    Let's be nice, let's be kind... :-D

Even to the long-term members who have software issues and refuse to load a leak (out of principle!) or even an official update via Sachesi ... ;-) (no offense!)

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-21-15 03:07 AM
    hey Navi -
    Great writeup as always -
    There was a similar thought a while ago -
    CrackBerry.com not the CrackBerry.com it used to be - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    http://forums.crackberry.com/site-ne...-used-1009015/

Maybe yours will gain more traction!!

07-21-15 07:27 AM
    There are many parallels I think to society, which is most unfortunate. There is a lot of anger, self-righteousness, impatience out there and in here.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 08:08 AM
    Forums very greatly. I still retain my membership to the webOS forum Which was some of the nicest people I've ever met online more helpful than you can imagine with every single aspect of my Hewlett-Packard webOS phones and devices. Hear being a new Blackberry customer & Passport owner since less than a year's time, I find the assistance level variable some people being snarky and others being very helpful and kind. Contrast this forum with that of the official Blackberry website with the most egregious and condescending answers to simple questions by Blackberry customers I ever experienced on the Internet. The supercilious Blackberry regard for their customers shows through the official forum and through the rest of their customer service (with some notable individual exceptions). If they want to fix Blackberry, they need to fix that
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-27-15 08:48 AM
    Haaaave you met the Internet?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 04:12 PM
    Nooo...

Haaaave you met the Internet?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 05:43 PM