So I am car shopping and I have come down to 2 different vehicles.

2005 nissen altima. 50000 miles. 4 cyl. Charcoal color.

2005 ford escape. 48000 miles. 6 cyl. Silver

Both vehicles same price.

I am stuck trying to figure the best vehicle. I will be using it for traveling back and forth to school 3 hours 1 way. During the winter I have to not get stuck in parking spots at school cause vehicle sits around. The altima and escape have same amount of room or close to for extra things. I personally like the charcoal black color more than silver too.

There are too many variables!

Just a tough decision I am in. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 12:06 AM
    Well you're talking car vs suv.. totally different realms.

See if you NEED the suv. I live in the country and we make by just fine with our cars. Like in the long run the car would be more fuel economical (aka money in your pocket).

Also check insurance rates.
    03-17-09 02:02 AM
    I'm getting my Ford Escape soon (2005, blue) so I must say the Escape is what I'd get personally, but the person above from me has a point you are talking car vs suv. Try looking at the crash test ratings to see which would be better (that's what I did)... Good luck on deciding.

03-17-09 05:42 AM
    I would stay away from Ford, save yourself the headache and buy the Altima.
    03-17-09 09:39 AM
    I would stay away from Ford, save yourself the headache and buy the Altima.
    I should mention that my family has had mixed reviews with Ford. Our newer (2003) Ford Focus ZTW has had a LOT of grief (luckily all covered by warranty - they essentially replaced everything but the engine before the warranty ended), but then our 1999 Ford Windstar has been SOLID. It's had normal problems (after 200,000 km need a transmission, 300,000 engine rebuilt), but reliability overall is/was very high.

Read the reviews and look for 'lemon' cars.

Just thought I'd mention that in relation to the 'Ford' stigma.
    03-17-09 12:52 PM
    Both cars will likely be very reliable. The cars the American companies are putting out now are generally very well built. I've heard quite a few happy Escape owners. And I'm a GM guy, so I'm not biased toward Ford. Personally, I'd likely pick the Nissan though, as I'm more fond of cars over cute utes, as well as fuel economy.

If it was me, I'd try to find an Altima or Maxima with a V6 though. Fuel economy isn't much worse due to less strain on the engine, and it will be a lot more fun to drive.

03-17-09 02:24 PM
    Consumer Reports recently said Ford's cars are as good as it's Japanese competitors. As far as the newer cars are concerned, one can remove quality and reliability from the list and concentrate on the cars one likes.

03-17-09 04:34 PM
    The escape can o hrugh anthing...trust me. My gf has one ans so do her parents who live in colorado.

03-17-09 04:51 PM
    03-18-09 10:22 PM
    You won't go wrong with the Altima... and as a lifelong nissan guy who is currently driving an Expedition with 127k miles (and going strong) ...

But that's not my point... I also have a Nissan pickup. I got the 4 cylinder thinking it would be good on gas... turns out that for highway driving OVER 65mph... the 6 cylinder gets better mileage (a friend and I each with Frontier's did some mileage studies..) ...

My point is... the 6 cyl may be the way to go if you do a lot of highway driving...
    Last edited by jdoc77; 03-18-09 at 11:41 PM.
    03-18-09 11:38 PM
    "Nissen" is that goin to the flea market and buying "foakley" brand sunglasses?! lol.

03-19-09 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD