So first of all we have Apple. Everyone grew up with slogans like "snack healthy, have an apple", or the 'bring your teacher an apple' cliche. Apples in general are used as the image for something positive, something that is good for you (except in the Bible, but even there it plays a prominent role).
    Nowadays people can not even tell you anymore why exactly it is good for you, we are just programmed to think that way.
    Now look at the position of Apple, the company. I wonder how much of that "programming" we receive when we are growing up, actually makes us have a more positive bias towards everything the company does. Is it really so successful and original because of quality, or do we think the quality higher than it actually is, because we unconsciously associate "apple" with "good"?

Then we have Google. Codenaming their OS versions after popular sweet snacks. Of course this makes sense as well. We grow up loving those snacks, and again they are perceived as something you must have, something positive. Again my question stands. Do we like Android because it is so good, or do we like it more than we should because of these unconscious associations with something positive: the sweets.

Now of course sweets and healthy snacks have always been at odds, maybe even opposites. And lo-and-behold the phone OS market is mostly a competition between Apple and Google. Coincidence?

Then we have BlackBerry. Also a fruit. But who ever heard of blackberries being used a role model for anything. They do not associate with healthy, they do not associate with sweets. There is no positive reinforcement when people think about blackberries. At least not on the level of apples, or candy.

Even worse is WP with their new "Metro" line. I mean who ever had a positive mental image of underground trains? Sure they work, but they are terribly chaotic, dirty and prone to disruptions. And to keep in line with the food-theme here, they should have probably gone with "Subway" instead.

BlackBerry and WP are at similar low adoption rates. And both BlackBerry and WP seem to be criticised rather harshly for anything they try to do, or at least more objectively than Google/Apple.
    Could such associations with the names play a part in people's perception of phone OS systems? Is it all just incredibly smart subliminal marketing? Or are the two giants really objectively "the best"?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    03-29-14 01:43 PM
    I often wondered about the naming conventions myself.
    03-29-14 04:22 PM

And what brand of marijuana did you smoke when you came up with this idea?

Posted via CB10
    ChrisHewer1 and MrGlenn like this.
    03-30-14 03:07 PM
    I do not do drugs anymore, my tinfoil hat tells me it has become too government regulated. On a more serious note I was taking a couple of classes on the ideas of subliminal messages and the influence of that kind of suggestions on our behaviour.

So that got me thinking about any (unintentional) benefits companies may get from using brand names that we already have prior positive associations with.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    04-02-14 10:00 AM