For anybody who doesn't know what Folding@Home is, it's a distributed computing platform run by Stanford University that helps to fold protein molecules to aid scientists in curing diseases. This is a good cause!!! I also know that a lot of Crackberry.com users are also computer enthusiasts, so I figured this is a good place to go! From their website:

"Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved. Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers. Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes."

Folding@home is recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest distributed computing project.

If you would like to read some of the things they have achieved so far, check out this link:

Folding@home - Papers

I noticed that Crackberry does not have a team on Folding@home, so I renamed my team "Crackberry.com" in an effort to get the Crackberry community to join! The team number is: 196316

Depending on how much of your computers resources you are willing to volunteer, there are several different clients to choose from.

If you want to volunteer your CPU only, go to the following link:

Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

The CPU client is limited to 1 core, so unfortunately even if you have a multi core system it can only take advantage of 1 core. Keep in mind that by default, the Folding@home clients CPU priority is set to "lowest" which means that all other Windows processes get priority. In short: You will not notice a hit on your system speed because as soon as a different process requests use of the CPU, the Folding@home client is automatically stopped.

UPDATE: There is actually a high performance SMP client that will load all your CPU cores! It's a bit more tricky to install, but instructions can be found at the link below.

Download: Folding@home - DownloadWinOther
    Installation: Folding@home - WinSMPGuide

If you have a high performance video card, this is where you can really make a difference. My CPU is a QX9550 OC'd to 3.63 GHZ (for anybody who doesn't know, that's a pretty powerful CPU), and my video card is a Radeon 4870. My video card is able to crank out results almost 5x as fast as my CPU!!! You can download the GPU client, found here:

Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

The GPU client works in the same way as the CPU client. Priority will automatically be given to other applications. You can also pause the client temporarily if you want to play a game or something. Make sure to download the "GPU3" client if you have an Nvidia card, and the "GPU2" client if you have an AMD card. The GPU3 client is currently more advanced than the GPU2 client, but they are working on a GPU3 client for AMD based cards.

There is also a Playstation 3 client!!! I don't own a PS3 so can't comment on this one. Link is on this page, down at the bottom:

Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

I personally run the GPU and CPU clients in parallel to produce maximum results, and I don't notice a hit on my systems performance.

The team I started is already almost in the top 10% of all teams, and that's with only 3 computers contributing. I hope that this post will attract some new users, and together we can work our way up the ranks!

Installation tips:

- You have to manually add the folding@home client to your startup folder in order to ensure it starts up with your computer. To do this, simply copy the link from the Folding@home folder in your start menu, into the "startup" folder in your start menu.

- After installation, be sure to right click on the tray icon, and go into "configure." Make sure to set the team number to 196316. If you are using a laptop, go into the advanced section and select "pause work while battery power is being used." This will ensure the client doesn't run while on battery power and contribute to faster battery drain!

- You can run the client on as many computers as you want. If you put the same user name on each computer, all the computers will contribute to your score. Or, you can use different user names to see how each individual computer is doing.

Cheers!

P.S. - If anybody needs help with installation or has questions, shoot me a pin at: 21722789.
    Last edited by Alex338; 03-31-11 at 10:23 PM.
    flipkc likes this.
    03-31-11 01:48 PM
    I may be interested. I used to fold on my PS3 all the time. I'm unsure why I stopped but I'll be sure to thrown it back online just to Fold since I no longer play videogames. Once I get my main PC back online, I'll be folding on that as well.
    anon1937793 likes this.
    03-31-11 02:10 PM
    I may be interested. I used to fold on my PS3 all the time. I'm unsure why I stopped but I'll be sure to thrown it back online just to Fold since I no longer play videogames. Once I get my main PC back online, I'll be folding on that as well.
    Great!! Thanks for pointing out the PS3 client, I forgot about that. I'll edit the post to include that!
    03-31-11 02:13 PM
    No worries! Again, unsure of why I stopped (I believe it's because I lent my controller to my friend) but I am going to fold as much as I can for as long as I can.

edit:

I am now folding under the Crackberry team as: flipkc .

Thanks for posting this Alex!
    Last edited by flipkc; 03-31-11 at 02:26 PM.
    anon1937793 likes this.
    03-31-11 02:14 PM
    No worries! Again, unsure of why I stopped (I believe it's because I lent my controller to my friend) but I am going to fold as much as I can for as long as I can.

edit:

I am now folding under the Crackberry team as: flipkc .

Thanks for posting this Alex!
    No problemo. Thanks for joining!
    03-31-11 02:41 PM
    I just might join
    ASUS WS SuperComputer P55 MOBO
    Intel i5 750 2.6GHz CPU
    EVGA GTX 580 GPU
    03-31-11 03:47 PM
    I just might join
    ASUS WS SuperComputer P55 MOBO
    Intel i5 750 2.6GHz CPU
    EVGA GTX 580 GPU
    Join!
    03-31-11 03:58 PM
    It would be a waste of you didn't use that incredible rig! =p

edit:

I've posted this to another forum that I frequent, hopefully we can get more people on board!
    Last edited by flipkc; 03-31-11 at 04:34 PM.
    03-31-11 04:29 PM
    Bump! Come on CB users, join in the fun!
    03-31-11 10:01 PM
    I'm trying to run the GPU client in line with the Single CPU Systray client and it keeps saying unstable machine in the log file...blah.
    04-01-11 12:23 PM
    Running the GPU and CPU client side by side is not for the faint of heart. You need to make sure your rig has adequate cooling.

I'm running the new beta SMP client right now, alongside the GPU client. It's loading my CPU at 100% continuously, and my GPU 98 - 99%. Ripping along.

PS... flipkc, I don't see you on the team? But I see someone else joined... disturbia515. Great!
    04-01-11 04:34 PM
    Mine is quite aged at 11 years old

Google Compaq Evo D310V, replace celeron with 1.5 p4, replace 128MB RAM with 1GB. Replace 20GB HDD with 250GB & 120GB and finally, add the DVD-RW, CD-RW drives and firewire, oh, also, the ATI 4650 graphics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 09:43 PM
    Mine is quite aged at 11 years old

Google Compaq Evo D310V, replace celeron with 1.5 p4, replace 128MB RAM with 1GB. Replace 20GB HDD with 250GB & 120GB and finally, add the DVD-RW, CD-RW drives and firewire, oh, also, the ATI 4650 graphics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Your GPU could still make a nice contribution! And every little bit counts!
    04-04-11 11:42 AM
    I couldn't get the client to download. I'll give it a shot later today.

FYI: I'm running an Intel i7 M 640 @ 2.80Hz 8GB RAM with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit If that will help.
    04-04-11 01:54 PM
    I couldn't get the client to download. I'll give it a shot later today.

FYI: I'm running an Intel i7 M 640 @ 2.80Hz 8GB RAM with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit If that will help.
    Yes, that will definitely help!

If you have a decent GPU, you can run the GPU client, it cranks out work a lot faster than the CPU client. You can also try the SMP client (multi core), but it's a little harder to configure.
    04-04-11 04:35 PM
    I got the standard client to work. I do have a 1GB graphics card, but it's an ATI which apparently isn't supported.
    04-05-11 05:22 AM
    ATI cards are supported, I am running a 1 GB 4870 and it works fine. You need to get the "V6 GPU2" client. Works with all ATI cards, 2xxx - 5xxx.

04-05-11 10:44 AM
    Awesome contribution Alex. When does the BlackBerry client come out?
    04-05-11 02:55 PM
    Awesome contribution Alex. When does the BlackBerry client come out?
    As soon as batteries last forever.
    04-05-11 03:50 PM
    ATI cards are supported, I am running a 1 GB 4870 and it works fine. You need to get the "V6 GPU2" client. Works with all ATI cards, 2xxx - 5xxx.

Mine is a 1GB 6370, so it isn't supported yet.
    04-05-11 05:24 PM
    Mine is a 1GB 6370, so it isn't supported yet.
    Too bad
    04-05-11 10:59 PM
    Bump!

I see a few people have joined, but we need more! FYI, since I posted this, the team has moved from around spot 21000, to 17000! If we get a few more contributors we can move even faster!
    04-10-11 12:43 PM
    Just thought I would give this a little bump, and update.

In 1 short month this team has gone from rank 21000, to 13000! That's pretty good if you ask me, especially considering not that many people joined.

Maybe this post will encourage a few more participants!
    05-07-11 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD