I reside in Texas and I will be flying to Sweden to visit a friend in about 3 weeks. I'm so very nervous and excited. I've never been on an airplane before, so I have no idea how to plan properly. There are just so many questions I need to ask:

1) What can I bring with me, and what should I leave behind? I plan on being there for only 6 days, so how should I pack? (Keep in mind I am a girl in my 20's, if that helps.)
    2) I booked my trip on Expedia. Am I suppose to call the airports and confirm my purchase, or is everything fine? What about baggage? Do I pay for that in the airport? Or prepay online?
    3) When I arrive at the airport, what am I suppose to do? Is there a special area I'm suppose to go to? Where do I go to get my baggage checked?
    4) I keep hearing about a boarding pass. Where do I get it from?

Any questions you can answer will be appreciated. If you feel I need to know anything else before my trip, or have any tips to share, feel free to let me know. Thank you so much.
    10-05-10 03:29 PM
    First-time Flyer Tips

Can't bring liquids of a volume higher than 3.4oz
    Leave your guns, machetes, bombs, and light sabers at home.
    10-05-10 07:39 PM
    Don't yell "he's got a gun"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 07:51 PM
    if you can try and pack all the things you think you need into a smaller carry on bag such as a medium duffle bag rather then a larger suitcase then you will have a faster less stress full time in the airport and avoid the luggage fee(unless they charge a carry on fee...the airlines are really becoming natzis) i remember when i was a kid we use to fly between mexico and america when i went back home multiple times a year and they didnt use to charge for bags and or carry on but i would sugjest you bring enought cloths fro about 8 days if you plan on staying for 6...accidents happen you spill somthing atleast bring one extra of evrything buut bring only what you need for a week...tooth brush tooth pase if ur staying in a hotel they have soap and shampoo for you so you can forget that...so just every day toiletries and depending on where your traveleing bring a jacket or sweatshirt that you can wear onto the plan and take it off and sit on it or somthing that way you dont have to deal with checking your bag and waiting for a half hour for the bag carosell to start find ur bag when everyones bag looks almost the same and finding the bag terminals can some times be tricky and or located in the opposite ends of airports.. but all of that depends on where your going and what you think your going to need...and remember worse case senerio somthing can always be purchesed when you get there
    10-05-10 08:06 PM
    ...and don't watch any Lost DVDs enroute.....
    10-06-10 08:13 AM
    but DO volunteer for any strip searches, just in case, you know, for their quota goals.
    10-06-10 09:26 AM
    Take me, and leave your worries behind.
    10-06-10 09:26 AM
    Fly Virgin, first class. You won't regret it.
    10-06-10 11:49 AM
    Bring something to keep you occupied on the flight like some games or movies on a portable device or a book or crossword puzzles. Its sounds like a long flight and remember...... Do not cut the cheese until you get to Sweden. Thank you..Im here all night.

As for your other questions: I believe expedia emails you a confirmation when you book the flight and then emails the boarding passes 24 hours before the flight. It will have all the info you need like which terminal to go to. When you get to the airport there are baggage handlers waiting outside the airport doors who will take your bags and tell you where to go. They are very helpful, just ask them where you need to go and don't forget to tip them like 3-5 bucks.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 10-06-10 at 09:02 PM.
    10-06-10 08:48 PM
    Bring something to keep you occupied on the flight like some games or movies on a portable device or a book or crossword puzzles. Its sounds like a long flight and remember...... Do not cut the cheese until you get to Sweden. Thank you..Im here all night.

As for your other questions: I believe expedia emails you a confirmation when you book the flight and then emails the boarding passes 24 hours before the flight. It will have all the info you need like which terminal to go to. When you get to the airport there are baggage handlers waiting outside the airport doors who will take your bags and tell you where to go. They are very helpful, just ask them where you need to go and don't forget to tip them like 3-5 bucks.
    ...WTF airports are you viseting...chicago o hare isnt like that the only thing that is outside of the doors to the airport are buses taxis and people smokeing cigarretts but inside are large sigsn with aarows evrywhere but no helpful people that would be really nice
    10-06-10 10:42 PM
    Just make sure you arrive early enough so you can check-in, read the proper signs. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
    10-06-10 10:51 PM
    Just make sure you arrive early enough so you can check-in, read the proper signs. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
    I agree, be there early so you can do check-in with no hurries, other thing that i want to tell you, i think most of Europe airports have at least TWO spots for checking your papers before entering the country, the queue for Europeans and the queue for Others.

Be sure to stick to the NOT Europeans, otherwise you will waste time and they will make you go to the other queue.
    10-07-10 02:23 AM
    be sure to watch the beginning of "taken" to see WHAT NOT TO DO! lol have a safe trip and if you stop by amsterdam be sure to inhale one for me!
    10-07-10 09:07 AM
    Don't say Bomb either.
    10-07-10 09:47 AM
    Don't say Bomb either.
    That's the worst thing to say lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 10:13 AM
    Best advice that I can offer is buy a neck pillow (not the blow up kind) & bring an MP3 player.

I travel all the time for work & w/my neck pillow, I'm asleep before we make it in the air. My iPod will drown out any crying babies, loud talkers or any other sounds I'm not interested in hearing.

Oh yeah... and don't dress to impress for the plane - dress for comfort.
    10-07-10 10:24 AM
    Get something chewy that melts in your mouth, like Starburst, and if you are really nervous, your doctor can prescribe a few valium for the trip.
    10-07-10 03:55 PM
    I don't care how well you know the guy, don't yell "Hi Jack" in the airport.

When you get to the airort, go to your airline's check-in counter. They will issue the boarding pass. Arrive early enough to have time for check in an security.

Small containers for liquids and gels. Nothing sharp or flamable.

Pack a change of clothes in your carry on in case your luggage gets lost or delayed. Wear sweats on the plane.

In flight, get up every hour or so and walk around. During long international flights, it is not unusual to be snacks available in the rear galley between food service. Drink water.
    10-07-10 05:28 PM
    All good advice so far.

Don't do what I did when flying back to the states from London. It was a 14 hour flight and I had at least two to three drinks every hour. That wasn't the bad part. I had not made any plans on how to get where I was going once I landed in Philly (another 300 miles away). So, make sure you plan a mode of transportation once you land.
    10-07-10 05:44 PM
    Wouldn't hurt to bring Dramamine either.. Especially if your prone to motion sickness.
    10-07-10 06:16 PM
    Enjoy the fly !!! everything will be ok
    11-06-10 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD