View Poll Results: Should the forum filter be changed?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep the filter and family friendly atmosphere

22 29.73%
  • No, I want to say what I'd like, without any filtering

14 18.92%
  • Loosen the filter, but keep the F-bombs defused

38 51.35%
    seriously would 99.9 percent of us CB users really use this site if it was full of bad language?I'm sure we would find another site to benefit us instead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Full of bad language? What bad language would that be? "P00p"? "Id1otic"? "Je rk"? There are so many words that aren't in any way bad language but still scooped up by the filter it isn't even funny. I don't think many folks at all are advocating eliminating it totally, just a major reduction in what words are filtered. I think go with the major "baddies" and leave everything else unfiltered. So go from hundreds or thousands of seemingly random words being banned to maybe the top 10-30 "offensive" ones.

I doubt much would change if the filter was totally removed. I also doubt many would go anywhere if the technical information was still here and folks were still just as friendly, which there's no reason to believe they wouldn't be. People don't suddenly start doing "bad" things just because a regulation changes or is eliminated. They would be doing it all along anyway, typically.

When I talk of the NR/AO off topic, all I'm saying is that would probably be more fun if the jokes could get a bit more risque, etc without fear of threads closing and bannification.

07-18-10 03:48 AM
    Now I know we've darn near all been guilty of filter defeats, and though amusing/creative, this touched a nerve in me:

http://forums.crackberry.com/members/ladypunkass/

I want to see consistency established. If it's a move to remove the language filter, and letting my *** appear just as punkass' does, I'm ok with it, though I prefer family friendly. It needs to be one or the other.
    The word filter, flawed as it is, does not apply at all to user name creation. If you see an offensive user name, report it. A Mod will deal with it.

Periodically, I search the user name lists for objectionable words. I have deleted hundreds of user names using every obscenity and racial epithet there is. Generally those user names have 0 posts. That makes sense, because if they'd ever posted, they would have been reported.

I haven't searched the user list lately. I will today.

Sometimes a user name is borderline offensive or is a clever twist on a word with a double meaning. If no one reports it, and it is humorous, it may be let stand. If it's reported as offensive, the Mods will at least consider it.

The bottom line: if you find it offensive, report it. The filter doesn't apply to user names.
    07-25-10 06:57 AM
    Absolutely reported Jeff, and I believe I wasn't the only one either. Waited 24 hours before I made this thread, and the user name still stands.
    07-25-10 07:16 AM
    Oh Ed, for the love that all that is sacred why in the world does that username
    offend you? Come on man.
    07-25-10 12:54 PM
    Oh Ed, for the love that all that is sacred why in the world does that username
    offend you? Come on man.
    Was I offended by punk***? F no! I'm offended by posts being deleted/edited, and threads being cleansed over things such as ***, along with the word *** being filtered, when punk*** was reported and allowed for over two weeks now. There needs to be one acceptable set of words, and frankly I think the entire filter set needs revamped. This double standard is stoooopid, and has been part of why some who are both our friends have stopped being a part of thie community. It's time for the admin to say hi **, hi **, it's off to work I go. Oh, but they can't hi h0 can they?!?
    07-25-10 07:42 PM
    I was thinking of changing my own username to Mr. ***
    07-25-10 08:10 PM
    Hmmm. Yeah, I also know numerous members that left for that and other reasons over the last couple of years. I'm sure those that completed the survey mentioned revamping the filter as well. I did.
    07-25-10 08:22 PM
    I was thinking of changing my own username to Mr. ***
    Oh Michael, that's just silly. Now BigBad***, that has a nice ring to it.
    07-25-10 08:29 PM
    Why don't they implement some sort of parental control where we can have the option to turn off or on?
    07-30-10 11:11 PM
    Or kick the kids out. Kids shouldn't have Blackberries anyway. And even if they are here, um, hate to say it, but their ability to access a whole unfiltered internet on their devices is a lot worse than this site would ever get without filtration...

Haha

07-31-10 12:39 AM
    That being said, if a forum member is patently offensive--and any reasonable person can discern that--he/she should be warned first and banned next. I have little patience for voluntary *******.
    07-31-10 04:43 AM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD