View Poll Results: Should the forum filter be changed?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep the filter and family friendly atmosphere

22 29.73%
  • No, I want to say what I'd like, without any filtering

14 18.92%
  • Loosen the filter, but keep the F-bombs defused

38 51.35%
    My CrackBerrian brethren, I come to you with heavy heart. I've tried my best through proper steps to remedy this matter, and now turn to all of you in hopes that will influence a result. Those of us who've been here for a while have felt the site slipping away, and this I considered a shining example of the frustration that has caused many to leave, or at minimum greatly reduce their activity. Let us all influence a change for the positive.

I submit for you these quotes:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/
    Avatars, User Names, Signatures, General Posting Guidelines
    Member User Names and Avatars must be appropriate for a Public Forum of all ages. If the moderation team does not feel your Avatar or User Name is appropriate you will kindly be asked to change it
    Inappropriate Content/ Language
    Please keep posts and links family appropriate.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f36/rea...ng-rules-3657/
    1. Keep the Language Clean

2. Keep the Thread Content Appropriate for a Public Forum. Remember that there are CrackBerrys of All Ages, and any of of them may be reading this. Any threads or posts that may be interpreted as Offensive, Inappropriate or Unproductive will be Closed and/or Deleted. Use your head before posting.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/bas...r-conduct-114/
    And here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...lution-118095/
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean

Now I know we've darn near all been guilty of filter defeats, and though amusing/creative, this touched a nerve in me:

http://forums.crackberry.com/members/ladypunkass/

I want to see consistency established. If it's a move to remove the language filter, and letting my *** appear just as punkass' does, I'm ok with it, though I prefer family friendly. It needs to be one or the other.

Those of you viewing on WAP, please use default view or a 3rd party browser. I'd like to see as many of you vote in the poll as possible.

Thank you for your time, and for your passion for CrackBerry.
    Ed

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-11-10 at 09:11 AM. Reason: wrong poll :(
    07-11-10 08:40 AM
    The language filter is irritating because there are so many words that aren't "bad" but are still filtered anyway. I like it here, but am not a fan of the filtering or the worry about whether a good thread will be closed or not. How about make a separate off-topic section for mature audiences?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 10:09 AM
    I'm personally not offended by language, but I wonder if there's a way to change the "bad" words to something less "bad"? I know there are sites / forums that filter to more family appropriate words (and getting filter pwn'd can cause some comedy gold that way).

I also kind of agree with the_sandman_454 - maybe have an opt-in with birthday verification for the non-filtered boards.
    07-11-10 10:31 AM
    1. There should be a 18+ section for adults.
    2. Make the whole CB site 18+. Why would a kid own a BlackBerry?
    3. The language filter on this site is ridiculous. There are words found in the dictionary that are filtered out on this site. Not that I agree with some of it but I hear worse words on T.V. and especially on the radio.

I'm not saying we should be allowed to curse all over the place but filtering out words in the dictionary and also words on my BB's dictionary..... Come on now.
    07-11-10 12:15 PM
    I'm personally not offended by language, but I wonder if there's a way to change the "bad" words to something less "bad"? I know there are sites / forums that filter to more family appropriate words (and getting filter pwn'd can cause some comedy gold that way).

I also kind of agree with the_sandman_454 - maybe have an opt-in with birthday verification for the non-filtered boards.
    Word substitutions might be fun. Have them change daily to some random word.

Now, I swear quite freely in real life, but I understand that's offensive to some, so I grudgingly agree with at least the principle of filters. (F word etc.) However, some of the words that get filtered are quite tame.

Sometimes I just say **** it and let the filters do what they will.

If feasible, an 18+ forum would be very entertaining.
    07-11-10 02:47 PM
    I agree it needs to be consistent. It is not.

I also like the idea of an off topic forum that is 18+ with a disclaimer, but even that would be abused.
    07-11-10 05:00 PM
    I've tried to cut back on the cursing. Thanks to my anger management courses. Third time was the charm.
    There should be some type of filter in place. Maybe update it. Also, nothing wrong with an adult section if that is what members want or will keep the site friendly for all.
    07-11-10 11:53 PM
    1. There should be a 18+ section for adults.
    2. Make the whole CB site 18+. Why would a kid own a BlackBerry?
    3. The language filter on this site is ridiculous. There are words found in the dictionary that are filtered out on this site. Not that I agree with some of it but I hear worse words on T.V. and especially on the radio.

I'm not saying we should be allowed to curse all over the place but filtering out words in the dictionary and also words on my BB's dictionary..... Come on now.
    My 13 year old daughter has a BlackBerry 8320 because it was free and a data plan wasn't required at the time.

I vote for less filtering. When I can't say "I was driving to Richard's Sporting Goods store, and some ID10T was riding a jacka$$ down the street," it seems a little assanine. There's plenty of moderators around to shoot down offensive speach when it has to be done. Filter the heavy hitters (F***, s***, c***, etc), leave the rest. If we really wanted to say some nasty stuff, most of us could say plenty of nasty things that wouldn't be picked up on the filters...
    07-12-10 05:27 AM
    I have no problems with rules, this isn't my site...

But a little more transparency when it comes to moderation would be nice.

I understand the situation CB is in, and I can relate to the frustration members (some former) encounter here.

I get annoyed as well when people defeat the filter with obscene names, and sometimes even worse, avatars.

A few times I've even notified the mods about it, and nothing changed.

But when I post stories involving missing spanx.. and the topic gets locked...

/sigh

But alas, at the end of the day it's not our site...

There's very little we could do but move on over to 4chan

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAA

Now kan I haz a kenburger pl0x ?
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-12-10 at 09:52 AM.
    07-12-10 09:47 AM
    I think the problem is context. There are a lot of words (homonym thread) that can be taken two ways or more. I could list a huge pile of them and defend my actions to the mods on the virtue basic meanings but what's the point? Some people will always see the bad even though there is nothing wrong with them.

And some kids just don't get it if they read it. Take female dogs for example, *****. Most kids and some adults just know it as a bad word but it isn't in certain contexts.

At the same time I am disheartened by the level of intelligence some people display, I guess it goes both ways.

Hoe!
    07-12-10 10:39 AM
    Filter. Over 2 million registered members on this thing. We already see
    enough garbage from people on here. Imagine if it wasn't filtered.
    07-12-10 12:05 PM
    Filter. Over 2 million registered members on this thing. We already see
    enough garbage from people on here. Imagine if it wasn't filtered.

Well said. I agree, filter.
    07-12-10 12:35 PM
    Well said. I agree, filter.
    there are some things that need to be said and their are some things that don't need to be said.

Personally turn the filters off, and if one abuses the lingo guidelines give the boot in the the crack that God gave em.

there are ways around the philters. see my point?

anyway i need some phudge brownies....

Last edited by mjneid; 07-12-10 at 01:58 PM.
    07-12-10 01:56 PM
    Dang! 321 views, and only 21 votes

Power
    to the
    People!
    07-13-10 05:18 AM
    I feel special

07-13-10 06:03 AM
    I only viewed 313 times, but I did vote.
    07-13-10 06:11 AM
    ... and I say filter. I have visions of a pig's head on a pole with flies buzzing around. Without lines to cross what fun would it be? I'm just sayin...
    07-13-10 06:12 AM
    I feel special

Power
    to the
    monster!
    07-13-10 06:14 AM
    ... and I say filter. I have visions of a pig's head on a pole with flies buzzing around. Without lines to cross what fun would it be? I'm just sayin...
    Power to the primates too.
    07-13-10 06:25 AM
    I vote loosen, because there are a lot of words that are filter that shouldn't. However, if that's not possible, I'm good with the way it is now.
    07-13-10 08:03 AM

Power
    to the
    People!
    Thats about right on par with voter turnout for municipal elections...the few who vote make the decisions for the many don't vote (and then heavily complain about those decisions)

07-13-10 08:32 AM
    Now nearly 400 views, and 27 votes. Definitely a typical American election, though I'm surprised at the results so far. And the punkass still stands.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    07-13-10 06:52 PM
    Of the 12 voters thus far who want things just as they are, I wonder how many were moderators?
    They would want less to clean up, I suspect.
    07-13-10 06:56 PM
    Of the 12 voters thus far who want things just as they are, I wonder how many were moderators?
    They would want less to clean up, I suspect.
    Me thinks you might be a tad surprised Brian.
    07-13-10 06:59 PM
    Now nearly 400 views, and 27 votes. Definitely a typical American election, though I'm surprised at the results so far. And the punkass still stands.
    The Few. The Proud. The Registered. (Voters)

07-13-10 07:05 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD