I am so fed up with this. It's quite simple, I rather like watching films and television programmes when I am travelling around, be it on aircraft, trains, or hanging around waiting for same. What is ideal is being able to watch them on the tablet (happens to be a Playbook currently, but it doesn't matter which). Anyway, I thought what would be rather nice to add to my collection would be the original series of Star Trek remastered. Never seen what they've done with that and since it was part of my childhood, that would be rather fun and a cheap way of passing lots of time.

Can I download those legally anywhere? No. It's almost impossible. I can get the DVDs and burn them, but that's time consuming and not really worth the effort. I can sign up to something like iTunes, download it all there, and then go through the delightful process of stripping the DRM so I can play it on the Playbook now - and more importantly on any future device I choose to buy. Amazon Prime? I don't want to sign a sodding subscription, I just want to buy them. In all cases it involves jumping through hoops for something I am quite happy to actually pay for.

Or I can find a torrent site and download the lot for free, robbing all involved of being paid.

The film and TV industry have managed to create a situation where it's not only cheaper (i.e. free) to steal the product through piracy, but actually damn well easier. This is beyond preposterous - I want to give them my money, but they won't let me do it. The music industry learned its lesson and if I want a track or album, I just buy it, because funnily enough I respect that those who create deserve to be paid for their work. Films and TV? No, I can't actually do it.

They deserve all the piracy they get.
    08-11-14 08:14 AM
    Agreed. It would be great to be able to purchase cross-platform capable versions of movies & TV episodes. I think it will eventually happen, but not anywhere near soon enough.
    08-11-14 09:16 AM
    I honestly don't understand how they can't see that their approach actually encourages piracy. They're completely insane.
    08-11-14 09:36 AM
    Pirate the shows, and send the licensing companies a check for $5.00 if it really bugs you that much.
    08-11-14 09:40 AM
    Pirate the shows, and send the licensing companies a check for $5.00 if it really bugs you that much.
    Rather my point - it is easier and quicker to pirate them.
    08-11-14 09:44 AM
    Torrent and then buy a bunch officially licensed merchandise or go to a Trekkie convention next time they are in town.
    08-11-14 09:58 AM
    Torrent and then buy a bunch officially licensed merchandise or go to a Trekkie convention next time they are in town.
    I don't care that much about bloody Star Trek, I can assure you!
    08-11-14 10:00 AM
    Assuage your guilt by renting via netflix or other dvd rental service

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    08-11-14 11:09 AM