First let me say that I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis; no matter how good the outcome, hearing that diagnosis must be frightening.

I don't want to take away from your story and what you are going through right now, but from your responses to others, it seems like you are seeking comfort and hope so here is what I have to offer:

I run a Urology clinic. We have many prostate cancer patients and have been involved in clinical trials for prostate cancer drugs. That said, I am the manager of the clinic, not a doctor, so I can't give you credible statistics or anything, only observations from the near-decade I've been there.

There are so many options and treatments available that for most, it is managed as a chronic disease, not a terminal one. The two patients that stick out in my mind most are: one patient who had prostate cancer for 12 years, and constantly worried about his own death...he ended up dying when he was hit by a train (read: it wasn't the cancer that killed him). The other patient was first diagnosed in 1985 and it was only last year that the cancer started to progress....30 years he's managed it with nothing more than injections every 3 months!

Obviously, these might be extreme cases, but at the same time, other patients who have more advanced cases go on to have their prostate removed and go on to live cancer-free lives..

The patients who faced a challenge with it were the ones that neglected to see a doctor and ignored the problem until the cancer spread to other organs/bones. It sounds like you weren't one of them, so I am hopeful your outcome will be a positive one.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and moody like this.
    08-08-15 12:29 AM
    First let me say that I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis; no matter how good the outcome, hearing that diagnosis must be frightening.

I don't want to take away from your story and what you are going through right now, but from your responses to others, it seems like you are seeking comfort and hope so here is what I have to offer:

I run a Urology clinic. We have many prostate cancer patients and have been involved in clinical trials for prostate cancer drugs. That said, I am the manager of the clinic, not a doctor, so I can't give you credible statistics or anything, only observations from the near-decade I've been there.

There are so many options and treatments available that for most, it is managed as a chronic disease, not a terminal one. The two patients that stick out in my mind most are: one patient who had prostate cancer for 12 years, and constantly worried about his own death...he ended up dying when he was hit by a train (read: it wasn't the cancer that killed him). The other patient was first diagnosed in 1985 and it was only last year that the cancer started to progress....30 years he's managed it with nothing more than injections every 3 months!

Obviously, these might be extreme cases, but at the same time, other patients who have more advanced cases go on to have their prostate removed and go on to live cancer-free lives..

The patients who faced a challenge with it were the ones that neglected to see a doctor and ignored the problem until the cancer spread to other organs/bones. It sounds like you weren't one of them, so I am hopeful your outcome will be a positive one.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. I don't dwell on it too much at this time. Before I was diagnosed with it I was always trying to be a positive role model to men my age (or younger) that were out of shape and didn't want to exercise. When I told them how old I was and they saw me out there playing with my 13 year old sons baseball team running catching balls and doing exercise with them and at work doing the physical work that most other guys couldn't do was inspirational. And now with the diagnosis, it's even more of a challenge for me to show them that nothing can or will stop me from doing what I have to do.....at least for now. Right now it's more of a mental thing....later on im sure it'll be physical once I begin treatment, but I will continue to have that positive attitude. I will definitely follow the advice of the doctors and not allow this to spread any further than it is. I will "nip it at the bud"and hopefully rid my body of it for good.
    08-08-15 12:10 PM
    MB64, I read through all of the posts here this morning. I'm so HAPPY that you are low risk! Prostate cancer is very treatable. My Dad had it about 15 years ago. We just celebrated his 75th birthday in June!

Always tell your kids. They are going to assume the worst when they see the changes in their parents. Like you found out, it won't break them.

You mentioned that you got your hormone shot and you go back in six months for a follow up. Are you going to go in sooner? A lot can happen in 6 months.

Congratulations again! It is a true blessing to wake up every day.
    08-11-15 07:14 AM
    MB64, I read through all of the posts here this morning. I'm so HAPPY that you are low risk! Prostate cancer is very treatable. My Dad had it about 15 years ago. We just celebrated his 75th birthday in June!

Always tell your kids. They are going to assume the worst when they see the changes in their parents. Like you found out, it won't break them.

You mentioned that you got your hormone shot and you go back in six months for a follow up. Are you going to go in sooner? A lot can happen in 6 months.

Congratulations again! It is a true blessing to wake up every day.
    Thank you. I am not expected to go back till January. I already have an appt. for the middle of the month. Unless anything changes on my end, i.e. pain, or any other abnormalities then I would go back. Other than that, no. No more blood work, no more tests till January....just the hormone shot. And boy just dealing with that is a hassle....I sweat so much now.....just looking at the sun I sweat......lol....just thinking about the sun I sweat.....I guess that's one of the effects of the shot.....
    08-11-15 08:33 AM
    You're having hot flashes? Welcome to my world!!!!
    08-11-15 12:13 PM
    You're having hot flashes? Welcome to my world!!!!
    Yes I am!....worse then that ! I stay hot!!!.....lol.....
    08-11-15 12:22 PM
    MB, I just read this. Man, sorry to hear, but glad to hear it's low risk. I couldn't imagine hearing the word cancer. That's a big fear. They do have a lot of good treatments for it now, and it sounds like your was caught early. Just stay positive, and keep on keeping on.

On another note, my aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 2 years ago, and she has went through the chemo and all that other fun stuff but she is now in remission from stage 4. So anything is possible.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    08-13-15 02:07 PM
    MB, I just read this. Man, sorry to hear, but glad to hear it's low risk. I couldn't imagine hearing the word cancer. That's a big fear. They do have a lot of good treatments for it now, and it sounds like your was caught early. Just stay positive, and keep on keeping on.

On another note, my aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 2 years ago, and she has went through the chemo and all that other fun stuff but she is now in remission from stage 4. So anything is possible.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Hey dl, great to hear that about your aunt, yes....anything IS possible....it was caught early so all should be fine once I begin treatment after the new year.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    08-13-15 02:17 PM
    Keep us up to date, on here or through other channels.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    01-21-16 07:41 PM
    Keep us up to date, on here or through other channels.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    I will, thank you. It's been about 5 months since I last posted on this thread. Since then, I have been battling my hot flashes ( thanks to the hormone shot) and medication to control my urges haven't done any good. 10-15 times a day have become my norm. Last week I went for blood work and today I got results, my PSA was down to 1.5 compared to 4.0 6 months ago. The doctor wants to do one more test before we begin with treatment: cystoscopy to check if I have any blockage in my bladder....then he asked me again what my decision was , removal of prostate or brachytherapy . I think I've opted for brachytherapy . fighting cancer-imageuploadedbycb-forums1453428129.146319.jpgfighting cancer-imageuploadedbycb-forums1453428141.795669.jpg
    01-21-16 08:02 PM
    Try to replace your drinking water with alkaline water. Cancer thrives when the body is in a acidic state. Alkaline water will help your immune system bolster the removal of cancer cells.
    01-22-16 08:35 AM
    I guess that's why my doctor said to try and stay away from acidic food....he's Korean so I thought he was saying "Hasidic" food....
    01-22-16 09:52 AM
    I will, thank you. It's been about 5 months since I last posted on this thread. Since then, I have been battling my hot flashes ( thanks to the hormone shot) and medication to control my urges haven't done any good. 10-15 times a day have become my norm. Last week I went for blood work and today I got results, my PSA was down to 1.5 compared to 4.0 6 months ago. The doctor wants to do one more test before we begin with treatment: cystoscopy to check if I have any blockage in my bladder....then he asked me again what my decision was , removal of prostate or brachytherapy . I think I've opted for brachytherapy . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1453428129.146319.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	388600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1453428141.795669.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	388601
    The brachytherapy sounds interesting. Hope all goes well.
    01-23-16 11:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Also, if you go back to BlackBerry your battery wouldn't be on 36% and you wouldn't be scoping out the room for a wall socket.
    01-23-16 11:14 AM
    Yes I am!....worse then that ! I stay hot!!!.....lol.....
    fighting cancer-squadron78fairline-web.jpg

fighting cancer-is1w8prko0fpe3n.jpg

MB64............................I fink its bein ott ear aswell sea eh?..............Nuff sed eh?
    01-23-16 12:31 PM
    Looks very enticing sad_old_man!!!
    01-23-16 07:04 PM
    Also, if you go back to BlackBerry your battery wouldn't be on 36% and you wouldn't be scoping out the room for a wall socket.
    If I had my z10 I think it would be dead...lol
    middbrew likes this.
    01-23-16 07:20 PM
    I will, thank you. It's been about 5 months since I last posted on this thread. Since then, I have been battling my hot flashes ( thanks to the hormone shot) and medication to control my urges haven't done any good. 10-15 times a day have become my norm. Last week I went for blood work and today I got results, my PSA was down to 1.5 compared to 4.0 6 months ago. The doctor wants to do one more test before we begin with treatment: cystoscopy to check if I have any blockage in my bladder....then he asked me again what my decision was , removal of prostate or brachytherapy . I think I've opted for brachytherapy . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1453428129.146319.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	388600Click image for larger version. 

Thankfully you'll be near knocked out and won't feel a thing. All I remember of mine was it was one of the best buzzes I've had in my life. My wife said I seemed to thoroughly enjoy the ride.
    middbrew likes this.
    01-23-16 11:09 PM
    Getting ready for my cystoscopy this morning....🙁
    sad_old_man likes this.
    01-28-16 09:25 AM
    Done! Less painful that the one they did 6 years ago. But still hurt enough for me to yell out a curse or two.....bladder is fine but. My prostate is enlarged. Another hormone shot and my next appt will be with the oncologist for radiation or removal of prostrate
    01-28-16 11:27 AM
    Welcome to the club: fighting cancer-imageuploadedbycb-forums1454354670.175535.jpg
    middbrew likes this.
    02-01-16 01:24 PM
    Welcome to the club: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1454354670.175535.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	389814
    You could trade pen1s probing stories with him.
    02-01-16 02:16 PM
    At the oncologist for a consultation this morning. ( first time I visit an oncologist).
    02-03-16 08:39 AM
    So, after the Dr's visit today, I think I'm more inclined for the removal rather than the brachytherapy. The folks ( people from CB) that have posted and shared their stories with me that have had that procedure. Didn't have the problem that I have now with having to go 10-15 times a day. If I opt for the brachytherapy that will increase my urges even more. I might as well just stay in the bathroom then....lol....
    02-03-16 01:07 PM
    So after talking to my wife about the pros and cons I think I favor the removal more so than radiation.
    middbrew likes this.
    02-03-16 01:08 PM
137 ... 23456