One thing to be a survivor and another to live with it.

Think positive, change your diet and stress level. Have faith.

I have lived with non curable Lymphoma since 1/98. Goes into remission then comes back every 3-5 years. I'm a study case for Retuxan, a drug treatment that is the standard today.

Now I'm on a new study with Revlimid and Retuxan.

BTW the cost for Revlimid is $550/pill taken 21 out of 30 day. Retuxan treatments are $9k every other month. Without financial aid I would not be here.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    07-07-15 06:05 AM
    One thing to be a survivor and another to live with it.

Think positive, change your diet and stress level. Have faith.

I have lived with non curable Lymphoma since 1/98. Goes into remission then comes back every 3-5 years. I'm a study case for Retuxan, a drug treatment that is the standard today.

Now I'm on a new study with Revlimid and Retuxan.

BTW the cost for Revlimid is $550/pill taken 21 out of 30 day. Retuxan treatments are $9k every other month. Without financial aid I would not be here.

Posted via CB10
    Being that you are a study case, im assuming they help you financially as well?
    07-07-15 06:47 AM
    Unbelievable how one pill can cost so much.....
    07-07-15 06:48 AM
    Being that you are a study case, im assuming they help you financially as well?
    Yes my medical bills are over $18k per month average. Although did not receive financial aid til May 2015.

I have lost or sold off all monetary things.

Have faith and take care of your body you can not replace it.
    07-07-15 07:01 AM
    Yes my medical bills are over $18k per month average. Although did not receive financial aid til May 2015.

I have lost or sold off all monetary things.

Have faith and take care of your body you can not replace it.
    WOW!! That's crazy! But I know what you mean. I had to get a shot the day after each chemo at $20k a pop.

BTW if you'd like to join our cancer BBM group we'd love to have you! Just PM me if you're interested.

Passport & Z30 & Q10 just b/c I do.
    Can't imagine life without Blackberry
    07-07-15 07:25 AM
    Thank you. And thanks for sharing your story. Life is more than just about material things. Waking up every day I guess is a blessing. But that is one thing I do hate about our "system" that they take so long to help those that need help the most. Then they say they will back pay from the day you initiated your claim and you may not get approved years later.....by that time you will have lost everything......
    sam81 likes this.
    07-07-15 07:25 AM
    I am a childhood cancer survivor (brain tumor and relapse). The chemo and radiation I received left be bald, short and deaf at age 13. Each day as I grow older (that was 30 years ago) I discover new ailments due to my age and the effects those treatments had on my growing body.

From your post I think you have a very healthy mindset to battle this. For me, humor and accentuation of the positive is what kept me and keeps me going. That and being open and honest with yourself and others.

There will be bad days - do not keep those frustrations locked up. Talk and write about them. Don't let the doctors or nurses boss you around. You are in charge and do not let them forget that.

I do not have children but taught and tutored for many years. When you know more, talk to your son . I had the good fortune to have parents that were very strait forward and honest with me about my cancer and prognosis. Thirteen year olds can be very tough.

You and your family have my sincerest best wishes. Take care.
    07-07-15 11:41 AM
    I am a childhood cancer survivor (brain tumor and relapse). The chemo and radiation I received left be bald, short and deaf at age 13. Each day as I grow older (that was 30 years ago) I discover new ailments due to my age and the effects those treatments had on my growing body.

From your post I think you have a very healthy mindset to battle this. For me, humor and accentuation of the positive is what kept me and keeps me going. That and being open and honest with yourself and others.

There will be bad days - do not keep those frustrations locked up. Talk and write about them. Don't let the doctors or nurses boss you around. You are in charge and do not let them forget that.

I do not have children but taught and tutored for many years. When you know more, talk to your son . I had the good fortune to have parents that were very strait forward and honest with me about my cancer and prognosis. Thirteen year olds can be very tough.

You and your family have my sincerest best wishes. Take care.
    Not only do these posts inspire me and others....but also my wife. Every night I have her read them as well. 3 years ago she suffered a stroke due to her then undiagnosed lupus. She recovered from it with meds and chemo......last September her lupus came back and back to chemo she went. This time she didn't fair to well. In a 3 month period she had over 12 seizures. This is something she had never had before. Till this day we don't know if it was caused by the chemo or the meds they gave her after the chemo. These were seizures that she did not recover from on her own. Every time she had to be rushed to the hospital via ambulance. Luckily either my mother or my 13 year old was by her side when she had them. Now she is hesitant to do chemo again should she need it in the future. I don't blame her......they'll be days when she feels down on herself because she takes so many pills, or her joints hurt.....and she's just tired of living the way she is.....and then we read these posts and see what positive outlook folks still have after all they have been through.
    07-07-15 02:51 PM
    WOW!! That's crazy! But I know what you mean. I had to get a shot the day after each chemo at $20k a pop.

BTW if you'd like to join our cancer BBM group we'd love to have you! Just PM me if you're interested.

Hello Moody

I would be glad to join your group.

The CrackBerry App is still in the stone ages. No way to PM you from my phone. Just add me to your group.

In fact I'm sitting at the cardiologist for an appointment.

The Chemo caused heart damage back in 98 so my heart operates at 40-45%

Just wondering if you have heart problems from the Chemo?

Cancer survivors are just luck to be alive.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    07-07-15 04:10 PM
    My Dad had it and was cured. He is doing great! You will survive and thrive!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 04:16 PM
    Hello Moody

I would be glad to join your group.

The CrackBerry App is still in the stone ages. No way to PM you from my phone. Just add me to your group.

In fact I'm sitting at the cardiologist for an appointment.

The Chemo caused heart damage back in 98 so my heart operates at 40-45%

Just wondering if you have heart problems from the Chemo?

Cancer survivors are just luck to be alive.

Posted via CB10
    The combo of chemo drugs I had were high risk for causing CHF over the next ten years. I had to get echo's every three weeks for a year to measure heart function, always came back good. It's been 7 years and all is still well.

Just got through running

P.S. Invite sent.

07-07-15 08:36 PM
    I would like to extend an invite to any other cancer survivors looking for support to join our BBM group.

Anyone interested just PM me your pin

07-07-15 08:37 PM
    This week has definitely dragged and dragged....tomorrow I hope to get more answers....low, medium or high risk....possibly ( hopefully) what stage, and finally what course of action for treatment. I'm more anxious this week then I was for the results of the biopsy because I truly didn't expect the results to come back positive....this whole week has been mixed with emotions and the group that I was invited to join by Moody has been very helpful. Although it is a very small ( and very quiet!!) group, they are a friendly bunch and eager to share their stories and have an open ear.....tomorrow I will be posting from the doctors office and will share the news with you all. Tonight I will try to get some sleep, I will try to keep my mind on other things like I have all week....but deep inside, my mind will be on tomorrow.....
    moody likes this.
    07-09-15 05:31 PM
    Here I am waiting at the Doctors office....just did my vitals and my blood pressure was high....gee, I wonder why???.....lol.....anticipation maybe??
    fighting cancer-imageuploadedbycb-forums1436535640.896147.jpg
    moody likes this.
    07-10-15 08:41 AM
    So.....results are back....my cancer is low risk and a T2. My options are the following:
    External Beam Radiation
    Brachytherapy
    Surgery to remove prostate
    Each have their pros and cons...but unfortunately since my prostate is too big to try the radiation options they need to make it smaller first and they will do that with hormones (one shot) and come back in 6 months. So that's that for now. Got my hormone shot and back home....I guess if nothing else changes this will be all for now on this thread. Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement. I will continue my posts on the cancer group I have joined and if anything comes up or anyone has something to say by all means we can keep this one going as well.
    moody likes this.
    07-10-15 09:57 AM
    Great thread.

Helps to keep others informed of Cancer do's and' don'ts

We can always use experiences of other to assist our decisions.

Medicine is such a specialized field. They now are type specific.

i.e. My doctor only treats Lymphoma

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    07-10-15 03:11 PM
    Thank you. Like I said, we'll see how it goes....always good to hear other people's stories, advice and suggestions.....it may help people that have similar symptoms but may be afraid to go see a doctor, or help those to cope and deal with their problems and know that they are not alone....and that we, the people of CB are not only here to talk and vent about what's new with BB software, updates, leaks, or what OS is better.....lol.....but also here for life's issues......fighting cancer-imageuploadedbycb-forums1436559671.014601.jpg
    sam81 likes this.
    07-10-15 03:21 PM
    Each have their pros and cons...but unfortunately since my prostate is too big
    You know what they say about a man with a big prostate... he has big underwear

Lololol. In all seriousness, glad the news was more on the positive side!!

sam81 likes this.
    07-10-15 10:57 PM
    It's on the positive side I guess....it's just been put on "hold" for 6 months.....😕
    So it's not like I have pain or discomfort or anything right now, just the constant need to go I'm going to have to keep dealing with for another 6 months ( heck I've been dealing with it for 6 years, what's another 6 months!!).
    sam81, Goldboot02 and moody like this.
    07-11-15 06:10 AM
    I think I've mentioned to some in the past that living in Florida I've become complacent with my constant urges since you can find restrooms just about anywhere and since I drive a company truck I can just pull over, open the side doors and do what I have to do.....on average I go about 15 times a day.....I used to live in NY before my problems began over 15 years ago and I can't even begin to imagine how I would survive out there now since there aren't restrooms available like here in Florida.....when I travel to places I have to think that now.....for many of you that may not even be a thought.....but after reading today's NY Post....I have nothing to worry about!!!! ......fighting cancer-imageuploadedbycb-forums1436613844.179311.jpg
    sam81 likes this.
    07-11-15 06:24 AM
    It's on the positive side I guess....it's just been put on "hold" for 6 months.....
    So it's not like I have pain or discomfort or anything right now, just the constant need to go I'm going to have to keep dealing with for another 6 months ( heck I've been dealing with it for 6 years, what's another 6 months!!).
    That's a good thing to hear. I know it doesn't "solve" the problem but you know it could have been much worse.

In the meantime let's all go to NY
    moody likes this.
    07-11-15 08:42 AM
    That's a good thing to hear. I know it doesn't "solve" the problem but you know it could have been much worse.

In the meantime let's all go to NY
    You're right. It could've been worse. I guess for now it's just a band-aid for 6 months....so more waiting .....I could've just said "forget it" and just start treatment but that would've been a desperate and hasty decision, and since its low risk I think I can take things slowly.....so pack your bags cuz I'm coming to get ya!!!!!
    Goldboot02, sam81 and moody like this.
    07-11-15 08:46 AM
    Yesterday was a sad day for me. I attended a memorial for my cousin John Glenn of Winlock, WA. He suffered from many forms of cancer, but when they found it in his brain, he said,

"No more radiation" as he wanted to enjoy his final days "With the quality of life"

He was one of many that served in the Viet Nam War in the height of Agent Orange. Casualties of war 35 years later. I would hope our mistakes in war be remembered for future generations.

Attending this memorial just makes me more grateful that people that are fighting cancer are able continue to live day to day.

RIP John Glenn
    moody likes this.
    08-03-15 07:30 AM
    I thought I'd begin this thread and listen to people's insights on how they cope with living their life with cancer. Today I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I have had a rollercoaster of emotions all day. Sadness. Defiance. Denial. Will to fight.....At first I was thinking about not telling anyone but then I told my wife I have nothing to be ashamed of....while I don't intend to broadcast it...I will tell my friends, family and continue life as normal as possible. Don't want anyone to feel sorry for me or pity me. I will find out in 2 weeks if it's considered "low risk, medium, or high" and then decide on my options at that point. So this is where you, my CB friends come in.......your input will be taken into consideration.....my wife says not to tell my 13 year old son "yet".......not to worry him.....so when would be the "right" time to tell him? I think he has a right to know like my mother and everyone else.....what do you think?
    Sorry to hear the news. I would not hesitate to tell your boy. This point may have already been stated and if so I apologize. But I would let him know and let him not only give you strength but see the strength you have in beating this. Speaking as someone whose mother beat cancer when I was a child, seeing her fight through it while maintaining her full time job was a life lesson I'll never forget.

Posted with my  Classic
    08-04-15 10:52 AM
    Sorry to hear the news. I would not hesitate to tell your boy. This point may have already been stated and if so I apologize. But I would let him know and let him not only give you strength but see the strength you have in beating this. Speaking as someone whose mother beat cancer when I was a child, seeing her fight through it while maintaining her full time job was a life lesson I'll never forget.

Posted with my  Classic
    No need to apologize. I like to hear people opinions. I have indeed told him and he took it like a champ. Went right back to playing xbox, lol. Now it's just the waiting game till January when they will begin my treatment.....there are days that go by that I'm so busy at work and with other life's issues/problems that I even forget that I have cancer....lol.
    moody likes this.
    08-07-15 03:22 PM
137 12345 ...