link Google protester seeks support from RIM

WATERLOO Mike Rossides must feel a little like David fighting Goliath. The Arizona-based entrepreneur organized an anti-Google protest in Waterloo on Monday at the headquarters of Research In Motion.

RIM is the perfect company. They have a huge need to attack Google, he said in an interview as young people hired by him toted large signs attacking Google in front of a RIM building at the corner of Phillip and Columbia Streets.

Googles Android operating system, used in a large number of smartphones, is grabbing a huge share of the market from RIMs BlackBerry handsets, he said.

Google doesnt charge smartphone manufacturers to use the operating system, but reaps revenues from searches and payments-per-click on those mobile devices, he said.

The free model is crushing us, said Rossides, who has dubbed his protest FightAndroid.org.

One of the signs showed an Android man holding a RIM employee upside down with cash falling out of a briefcase.

Rossides says the Android model is threatening the BlackBerry, and all of Waterloo Region should be joining his protest.

Rossides had another motive for organizing the protest. He is the founder of a company called Paybuyer.com, which would pay the purchaser for clicking on an ad instead of Google.

For example, when a customer clicks on an ad for a swimming pool, they would receive an expected value ticket worth $10, giving them a chance to win $1,000. If they win the $1,000, they can only collect if they actually purchased a pool, he said.

Similar to a lottery ticket, the system is also described as probabilistic payment, he said.

One of the reasons he brought the protest to Waterloo is because RIM showed an interest in Paybuyer when he approached the company in January, Rossides said.

He talked about the Paybuyer model on the phone with two RIM executives in March, he said, but the company was too busy launching the Playbook tablet device to consider his proposal.

RIM and Google did not respond to emails about the FightAndroid protest Monday.

Rossides plans to hold another demonstration at Phillip and Columbia Streets on Tuesday morning and then outside the companys annual meeting at the Centre for International Governance Innovation Tuesday night.
    07-17-11 09:31 PM
    Yawn. Make a relevant product. Just a thought.
    07-17-11 11:53 PM
    You want to fight Google by adding an app to run Android apps in Playbook?

Hmmmmmm.....
    07-18-11 12:07 AM
    Okay lets all take out all Google apps/services from blackberry devices. Gmail, gmaps, Google docs, Google shopper, Google search...etc..its going to be one **** of a smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 02:01 AM
    Doesn't follow... Give users the choice just like VZW eventually had to accept with their bogus reasons for not allowing GPS. If users want location services and the risk of tracking that's fine. If they want privacy that's also fine. Just don't ram someone else's preference down their throats.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-18-11 07:15 AM
    I guess its ok here to do this sort of thing as long as it is not against RIM.
    If you do, bad things could happen

Sigh...

Tim
    08-14-11 08:49 PM
    This is both pathetic and funny.
    08-14-11 10:24 PM
    I guess its ok here to do this sort of thing as long as it is not against RIM.
    If you do, bad things could happen

Sigh...

Tim
    My, what are you hinting at?
    08-14-11 10:29 PM
    WATERLOO Mike Rossides must feel a little like David fighting Goliath. The Arizona-based entrepreneur organized an anti-Google protest in Waterloo on Monday at the headquarters of Research In Motion.
    This reminds me of the nutjobs in southern California who decided to protest the AZ immigration law by laying down on streets in Los Angeles. Note to potential protesters: if the company you're protesting thinks you're a moron, they're not going to listen to you.
    08-14-11 10:32 PM
    This does have some relevence in my opinion, in the UK look how supermarkets dominate choice by undercutting small businesses which once gone the consumer has little choice but to buy at them.
    08-15-11 03:43 AM
    You want to fight Google by adding an app to run Android apps in Playbook?
    Hmm, I'm not too sure how this is a bad idea...

It gets rid of a huge issue that make a lot of people decide against a Blackberry. I don't really see a downside to this as long as it is implemented well...
    08-15-11 07:38 AM
    This does have some relevence in my opinion, in the UK look how supermarkets dominate choice by undercutting small businesses which once gone the consumer has little choice but to buy at them.
    What now? Come again?

Are you saying that RIM is struggling because other companies are undercutting them?
    08-15-11 07:41 AM
    He talked about the Paybuyer model on the phone with two RIM executives in March, he said, but the company was too busy launching the Playbook tablet device to consider his proposal.
    If that was the case..then RIM is in serious trouble. Too busy launching a product to pursue other things? Lol..it's like walking and chewing gum at the same time..

I'm sure that was RIM's polite response to "No thank you sir, your product is stanky"

Then this protester felt the need to "take it to the streets"..lol..
    08-15-11 08:07 AM
    I'm sure that was RIM's polite response to "No thank you sir, your product is stanky"
    Haha I got the same impression. I highly doubt they were really too busy with a product launch, as they have been acquiring things left and right during this OS7 launch with no apparent problems.
    08-15-11 08:32 AM
    Haha, ridiculous, its like starting a protest because some company is making more money than you.

LOL, Google's business strategy is working and his paybuyer.com idea isn't so he tries to make it all about android. So suddenly its Google's fault for making android which is causing RIM to have a hard time...And then he thinks that if he starts protesting RIM's competition, he will get on RIM's good side and RIM will fund his little project...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    08-15-11 09:03 AM
    but i want one
    08-18-11 04:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD