This is reaching comic proportions! The lead-up to the product announcements and earnings calls for some of RIM's competitors are marked by giddy speculation and unbridled anticipation. Sometimes there's a big payoff, sometimes not, but the buzz is impervious to batting average. What a priceless piece of goodwill! Even if you are critical of RIM's competitors, you have to admire both the way they earned their advantage in the first place, and the way they exploit it.

RIM's announcements, in contrast, have recently been marked by a kind of morbid dread and wild predictions of doom or absurdly detailed demands. ”If RIM doesn't announce this or that (place your fantasy device at fire-sale prices here), the company should be immediately delisted and legally barred from continuing in business." And this gloom lately seems equally impervious to actual results. This is a highly volatile business. Every company has been on the ropes. Even the best of them. The one's with the longer track records and stronger fundamentals endure the drop-offs and survive and ultimately prosper.

Motorola was dead and buried until the Droid came along; the Kindle was Amazon's folly. I guess the right people at these companies don't rattle, and they see beyond the momentary stock crawl.
    06-16-11 12:50 AM
    Please allow me to shake your hand......couldn't agree more.
    06-16-11 01:10 AM
    If RIM does go out of business... I'll just go with a different qwerty device with an extended aftermarket battery. Until then, i'll stick with blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-11 01:57 AM
    This is exactly RIM's folly. You can pretend everything is fine and you're doing great but in reality it's not.
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-16-11 04:47 PM
    This is exactly RIM's folly. You can pretend everything is fine and you're doing great but in reality it's not.
    Thank you. I understand this is CB, but let's be real everyone. RIM is in serious trouble, why people are in such denial is just plain stupid.
    06-16-11 04:52 PM
    Thank you. I understand this is CB, but let's be real everyone. RIM is in serious trouble, why people are in such denial is just plain stupid.
    They have serious issues that for sure and their share buy back scheme is just a way of lessening the dilution of their stocks as well as attempting to stave off any take overs in the near future.

This is what happens to poorly managed companies...
    06-16-11 06:24 PM
    It has to be obvious by now that RIM has no answer for the Android/Apple onslaught. The bleeding will continue at RIM until someone can step in to right their ship.
    06-16-11 06:31 PM
    It has to be obvious by now that RIM has no answer for the Android/Apple onslaught. The bleeding will continue at RIM until someone can step in to right their ship.
    It's kind of sad really but I couldn't have said it any better myself.
    06-16-11 06:49 PM
    This is reaching comic proportions! The lead-up to the product announcements and earnings calls for some of RIM's competitors are marked by giddy speculation and unbridled anticipation. Sometimes there's a big payoff, sometimes not, but the buzz is impervious to batting average. What a priceless piece of goodwill! Even if you are critical of RIM's competitors, you have to admire both the way they earned their advantage in the first place, and the way they exploit it.

RIM's announcements, in contrast, have recently been marked by a kind of morbid dread and wild predictions of doom or absurdly detailed demands. If RIM doesn't announce this or that (place your fantasy device at fire-sale prices here), the company should be immediately delisted and legally barred from continuing in business." And this gloom lately seems equally impervious to actual results. This is a highly volatile business. Every company has been on the ropes. Even the best of them. The one's with the longer track records and stronger fundamentals endure the drop-offs and survive and ultimately prosper.

Motorola was dead and buried until the Droid came along; the Kindle was Amazon's folly. I guess the right people at these companies don't rattle, and they see beyond the momentary stock crawl.
    Well said, and for the record motorola is still bleeding out.
    06-16-11 07:00 PM
    I think RIM is in serious trouble. They must have known that the number of Playbook sold was going to be a focus point of this call and yet all they were able to say is how many they have in the sales channel and claim that they don't know how many have actually sold, leading to the kind of speculation we're seeing now. Then, there's the 2011 line up. At this point, we're looking at end of the summer for the first phone and possibly end of the year for the rest. In addition, none of the rumoured phones have a display that rivals the iPhone, dual-core processor (like the rumoured iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 and several Android devices expected this year) or a front-facing camera. And not one of these phones is likely to be upgradeable to QNX next year. Finally, if most of the 2011 phones ship in the last quarter of the year, when can we expect QNX phones to ship? Logically, not before the Q3 of 2012. Plus with significant layoffs coming up, employees are going to be nervous and moral is likely to be affected. It's pretty hard to keep the faith right now.
    Last edited by pattste; 06-16-11 at 09:00 PM.
    06-16-11 08:57 PM
    Its also funny how people just entirely skip over the risk aversion domino theory. Mr. A runs a large business and several years ago invested in BES. 288 of his employees have company issued BBs. Monday morning Eith RIMM stock under 20 he calls in his business people and IT people. "what happens if RIM goes under?" He asks. "oh that is highly unlikely to happen" says his IT guy. "but if it does, our servers, our BB handhelds, that infrastructure is worthless. " BBs operate through RIM's NOC. "I see no reason to panic here. Thousands still use BES" says the business guy. then he rattles off all the law firms, investment banks and publishing houses who have already gone to straight exchange.
    In the end Mr. A does not want to be left holding the bag, if the poopy hits the fan they can't be caught unable to transact business while they switch over.
    This scenario plays out in dozens of Board rooms Monday. Within weeks rumors swirl that businesses are dropping BES in droves. Sounds crazy? Look at my posts, 2 years ago I indicated quite clearly the entire first half of this story which has played out the last several months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD