Seriously, what is this world coming to?

Based on this story, among others online, would you give your Facebook, and Twitter credentials for that matter, to someone during an interview?

What could a company achieve by viewing my Facebook and Twitter info?

I don't even use Facebook, but...
    03-21-12 06:26 AM
    Yeah right, just as soon as mr ceo of the company hands me over the keys to his house to make sure the employer i am working for does not have an office like the one tony montana had in scarface. Although asking a question like that would mean he just has snorted a mountain of coke!!!! Seriously this is a major invasion of privacy.
    03-21-12 06:57 AM
    I think it is nuts also navi. I have read that companies use social networking to see what employees and prospective employees put out there. Heard stories of being denied a job because of it and know one person that was fired over their Facebook account because they posted about being at a party the same day they called in sick.
    03-21-12 06:58 AM
    ...one person that was fired over their Facebook account because they posted about being at a party the same day they called in sick.
    I think they got what they deserved.
    03-21-12 08:11 AM
    I think they got what they deserved.
    I agree but in the same respect someone should not be denied a job because of something they do in their personal life as long as it isn't illegal.
    03-21-12 08:38 AM
    Don't use FB or twit myself, and I do agree your personal life should have no impact on work, but.....

If you're going to make your life public, I can see why a company would take advantage, for the hiring process, along with monitoring an employee with issues. It's no different than an insurance company using an investigator to catch fraud.

Keeping your private life private isn't rocket science.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-21-12 09:09 AM
    Working for the government.. I completely understand on how your personal info scattered all over the web is relevant.. Would be major news scandal if pics of you drunk and half naked showed up on the news or if you ripped on your last employer. What better way to really analyze a potential employee than to see what they are willing to post for the world to see.. Employers give psych tests all the time to try an analyze potential employees.. But it also depends on the position you are applying for.. Different standard for a maintenance person or director of finance..
    03-21-12 09:31 AM
    this would be the reason i dont have ANYONE that i work with as a friend on FB lol
    03-21-12 10:56 AM
    its cool if ur FB page is directly related to ur line of work.. like ur a real estate agent or something like that... but if you just wanna see what someone does on their own time..forget it...

i dont know why some of my FB friends put their job company and title and at the same time put up incriminating stuff on their off time.. people need to learn how to divide professional and personal ...
    03-21-12 11:17 AM
    I say just don't have a bloody Facebook account

I wonder if companies would start to ask the same for Protected Twitter accounts? Honestly, where is the privacy if you want it\need it...
    03-21-12 12:44 PM
    The only reason I ever had one was because I got email to look at my mom and sisters pics which you have to join to do and which neither had any pics at the time.

I never use it, it is evil.
    03-21-12 12:48 PM
    I can understand an employer wanting to view my Facebook or Twitter account, which I would have no problem with.
    As far as giving them my password, I would tell them that any password, whether mine or belonging to the company I work for, is private information that I do not intend to disclose to anyone for aany reason, and only hiring employees who have no interest in security is a foolish move that could potentially result in immense corporate loss.
    03-21-12 09:14 PM
    ...this seems to be a heated conversation over the internet. Strong opinions are being formed. Keep them coming.
    03-22-12 06:21 AM
    I agree...this is a very huuuuge invasion of privacy.

Tidbits I remember from reading a story on Yahoo about this....

- The Department of Justice agrees that this is wrong and is an invasion of privacy yet they do not have the time and manpower to prosecute......

- Some employers are trying to get around the asking for credentials and are asking the candidates to Friend the company so they can still see in to the "friends only" private info.

- In today's economy, people may not be able to afford to say no.

If I were asked this in an interview I would do one of two or three things:

1) I would get up, state this is a clear invasion of privacy, and walk right out
    2) I would tentatively consider it, after asking them for all sorts of private company info, to make sure they are a company I would want to work for and that they are not carrying out any actions that would embarrass me as an employee.
    3) Threaten to take the request to the press or state attorney general......

One problem with all of this is that given the economy, there are tons of people looking for jobs and an employer today probably has tons of resumes to consider for each job opening.......

As a technology risk management consultant with some specialties in Privacy and Social Engineering, I am rather appalled that this is happening.

So, a company is not allowed to ask about marital status, desire for kids, sexual preferences, etc., but it is ok to ask for someone's personal password?

Disconnect here.....
    03-22-12 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD