Has anyone seen the new Exxon Mobile commercials that try to make them look good? Saying how they help education and Maleria reduction in foreign countries. While this is noble and a wonderful thing to do, It just seems to me that they are trying to take some of the heat their 11.5 Billion in profit for one quarter.

Keep in mind this is their PROFIT after all the costs involed in running the company and their special programs.

What are your thoughts on this?
    08-11-08 08:50 PM
    I would probably get into a lot of trouble for saying my actual opinion on this one. These commercials irritate me more than the similar BP commercials...although I'm not really sure why. lol
    08-11-08 08:52 PM
    They paid 3 times that in taxes, FYI.

Not making excuses....but instead of taking a vacation, maybe the govt. could get back to work and so something? Nancy "Let them eat cake" Pelosi wants to RAISE the tax on gas we pay by about 10 cents a gallon.

I, for one, am over it.
    08-11-08 08:52 PM
    So then Exxon Mobile will raise it 20 cents a gallon to cover it.
    08-11-08 09:16 PM
    One thing to keep in mind is that generally profit statements are released after tax burdens are figured in. It is my understanding that the $11 billion is clear profit, I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

The reason increasing gas taxes gets bandied about is because increasing prices is one of the few things that will decrease demand. There by easing supply issues and there by lowering prices.
    08-11-08 09:34 PM
    Umm maybe I'm a little clueless on this subject. But its not Exxon's fault the prices are high right? Like they don't set them do they or do they? N if not, how could they not make more $?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 09:52 PM
    There has not been an increase in oil production in the last FIVE years! The only thing that increases is their profit. BILLION people, that is a lot of zeros! 11,000,000,000! (Is that right?)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 10:19 PM
    You know why the price of oil is so high? Here, let me spell it out; now pay attention children...S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-O-R-S.

Oh and another word for the day...F-U-T-U-R-E-S.
    08-12-08 09:02 AM
    You know why the price of oil is so high? Here, let me spell it out; now pay attention children...S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-O-R-S.

Oh and another word for the day...F-U-T-U-R-E-S.
    You're exactly right, I know many people who have stock in big oil and they love that these speculators drive the prices up like this. Like the President of OPEC said a couple weeks ago there is no need for prices to be this high as there is more than enough oil in the world to accommodate everyone. In saying that he also said that oil should and could drop to $78 a barrel in the coming months. I hope hes right...
    08-12-08 09:08 AM
    Look beyond the price per gallon to the total energy bill. Our total costs are high, because we are spoiled rotten, driving gas guzzlers with every imaginable gadget and convenience. If your vehicle got double the mileage, you would still pay the same total price at the pump, but the effective cost is 1/2.

Improved efficiency, reduced consumption (driving less) and a floor gass tax will drive down the total energy cost which will result in lower pump prices.
    08-12-08 11:25 AM
    Very good points. We are all definitely spoiled with our energy consumption. We have been dependent on oil alone for too long without really exploring alternative fuel options, we are only doing it now because of the situation when steps to prevent this could have been taken a long time ago.
    08-12-08 11:38 AM
    Funny thing is I can imagine the big oil companies getting together to decide next weeks oil prices.
    08-13-08 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD