I am in the market for an external hard drive. I am looking for a 1 TB, USB powered unit. From the looks of Google, this is yet to be invented...

With this said, I will likely be dropping down to a 500 GB, USB powered unit.

I currently have a 500 GB AC powered unit, but the USB powered is peeking my interest.

Is there some disadvantage in USB powered HDs I am failing to recognize?

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yea...the primary function will be to hold music, pictures and videos, hooked to my laptop, which is primarily plugged into a power source.
    07-13-09 08:53 PM
    If you ever use it when your laptop isn't plugged in, it will drain your battery faster. You won't have to carry a power adaptor if you travel. Other than that, there's no real difference. Personally, I find it silly to spend the money to come out with the same size unit just to lose the power supply...
    07-14-09 07:55 AM
    yeah. if you REALLY need that much space on the go, i would recommend just putting a bigger hdd in your laptop. if you need hella storage on the go, get a slim hdd. you wont be able to get 1tb...but that's kind of excessive for being mobile anyway.
    07-15-09 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD