04-28-10 07:17 PM
37 12
    Ok, So I wanted to bring up a thread on expensive jeans. I my self have Jeans from True Religion about the most expensive ones I own. Then I have a couple Express Fashion pairs which come in the middle they range from $75-$100. Then I have 2 pairs of Old Navys (mainly for when I ride my motorcycle). The reason I bring up this thread is because there are other brands out there like 7, Rock N Republic, Diesel, AX, I just wanted to see what other people were wearing...

I also wanted to know can a person really tell the differnce between a premium jean vs. and Old Navy $25 jean? Do they hold up longer? Is the cotten feel different?

What makes a premium jean premium, I sat back and asked my self and was like well then maybe I need to stay away from True Religions, but so far they have been the best fit for me...

Whats others opinions out there?
    12-30-09 09:55 AM
    I don't have alot to add to this thread, I don't really care about the label on my jeans. I pretty much just stick to Levi's.

But I wanted to say that every article of clothing I've ever purchased from Old Navy has a strange fit. It's not really that they don't fit completely, just tight/loose in strange places. Most of my friends have had the same experience with Old Navy.
    12-30-09 09:59 AM
    I honestly can't tell the difference between a 30 pair of jeans and a 150+ pair of jeans, unless the person wearing them has gone to the effort to have them properly fitted and adjusted, even then it's more the fit that makes the difference than the denim/wash, although very very cheap jeans are normally pretty horrible and quite easy to spot.

I normally buy mine from Burton over here, they're at the very, very bottom of the "proper" jean price bracket, but they last for years and as I'm quite big and a funny shape they're about the only jeans that fit properly for me off the shelf and don't look cheap.

The only article of Old Navy clothing I have is a t-shirt my girlfriend brought bacl from Canada with her as she liked the look of it, to be honest it fits pretty well and the quality is pretty nice for what it cost, but as I say I'm a funny shape anyway.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Tim_UK; 12-30-09 at 11:37 AM.
    12-30-09 11:33 AM
    I like Lucky Brand and Big Star jeans the best, and yes you can tell the difference. From the ringspun cotton, to the stitching. They are very comfortable...
    12-30-09 11:38 AM
    Big Stars are expensive don't really like. Lucky I have a pair they nice but they don't really stand out in the looks department for what the cost. True Religions can be had for around $150 on up (if u hunt maybe some really old styles for $100) but they are heavy and they stand out as far as looks go.

12-30-09 01:21 PM
    The ONLY jeans i wear are Dickies and BullHead Jeans.... I've owned Lucky, Ralph Lauren, Big Star.... and i always go back to BullHead and Dickie.....

12-30-09 01:31 PM
    Stopped buying Levis when they stopped supporting the Boy Scouts, many years ago. If I buy new it's what's on sale, never over $25...
    12-30-09 02:03 PM
    Yeah I'm use to wasting money, but I have to have jeans that look different than everyday jeans. I would never spend more than $200 on jeans we have to see how long they last though.

12-30-09 02:37 PM
    I can tell the difference between a well constructed pair of jeans and a poorly constructed pair of jeans pretty easily. I also know that price doesn't always mean quality. Most of the time high price means branding, as is the case with brands like True Religion and 7FAMK.

I typically spend anywhere for $250 - 400 on a pair of jeans (more lately as the yen had been so strong against the dollar). The texture of the denim depends on the cotton used and the weight of the fabric. They do last longer than a pair of $40 jeans, but you won't recoup the extra cost over time as they are not indestructible. Mostly what you will get is a quality, great fitting pair of jeans without the branding.
    12-30-09 02:55 PM
    I don't get the point of buying expensive jeans. If I want jeans with holes in them, fading, and bleach spots I'll use some sandpaper to fade them, sprinke on some bleach, and have a ton of fun putting holes in them myself. And in the process I can save about a hundred dollars.
    01-05-10 10:19 PM
    I don't get the point of buying expensive jeans. If I want jeans with holes in them, fading, and bleach spots I'll use some sandpaper to fade them, sprinke on some bleach, and have a ton of fun putting holes in them myself. And in the process I can save about a hundred dollars.
    Yeah but all expensive jeans dont have distress marks on them. I dont that style either now a days. That went away back in 08. Anyhow the jeans I buy still look normal, they just feel a lot thicker and heavier than lets say a pair of Luckys. Luckys feel normal and I like them a lot. True Religion is more or less for Style.
    01-07-10 09:49 AM
    JC Penny plain pockets for me!
    01-07-10 10:32 AM
    I couldn't even tell you what brand my jeans are. They're jeans. Period.
    01-07-10 11:12 AM
    This may come off as a shocker to some- But most jeans are all the same.

I have many friends in the fashion industry, ranging from buyers to you name it.

Many big name company's buy the denim from a centralized location, then have there label put on them.

Even worse, the majority of these jeans that cost 150+ retail, normally sell for 2-5 dollars a piece.

With the economy hitting "High Fashion" stores harder and harder, these stores are forced to lower the quality of their items, instead of adjusting their prices to reflect the climate of the industry.

A quick example is, Instead of having Jeans washed a minimum of 8 times, they're only having them washed 4 times or less- Some companies are downgrading their tags or labels, stitching, etc...

Now these things may not make such a difference, but when I purchase a pair of 920 dollar jeans, and they are stiff as a board, or the tag is made out of cheap nylon- I have to question if they are worth it.

With high priced items, truly it's the little things that make them stand out. (Details, Stitching etc)

Since these changes, I have really had to rethink my frugal spending and change my shopping habits.

It used to be quality goods. Now it's not.

A quick example would be Club Monaco. They used to design and sell their own jeans, now they use LEVIS jeans in their mens line, and even worse, only have their jeans washed a maximum of 3 times for the majority of styles. Yet they still sell at a premium price.

For that, then I'll by Levis at Macy*s for a fraction of the price.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-07-10 at 02:20 PM.
    01-07-10 02:17 PM
    $920 for jeans? ****. I never spend more than $175 on a single pair and that's the most. (The very most I have ever spend was $282, kind of still regret it.) Anyhow I can believe what you are saying about buying the jeans from the same location, but do big names like True Religion, Rock n Republic still do that I would find that hard to believe.

01-08-10 07:22 AM
    $175 on Jeans? Must be nice to have money to throw away.
    01-08-10 07:27 AM
    Wait. Did Prada just say he spent $920 for jeans, then call himself frugal?

01-08-10 07:30 AM
    No, Jef you'll learn someday its and investment, or you could just get a better job that pays you more too.

01-08-10 09:24 AM
    I understand spending more on better quality threads... But I buy the $50 Dockers over the $35 off-brands, as I know the Dockers last me twice as long at work. But as far as jeans, how is it an investment?

And I envy you for having money to burn, and you can do with it as you wish. If I got a better job, I wouldn't be spending over $100 on jeans. But that's just me.
    01-08-10 09:38 AM
    Jef its only money, as you may already know people spend money on different things they enjoy, for some it could be cigars, car parts, collecting certain things. Anyhow there's better and worse you can spend your money on, but its going to get spent 1 way or another. Bottom is I buy what I like and what I can afford...

01-08-10 11:15 AM
    Wait. Did Prada just say he spent $920 for jeans, then call himself frugal?

I have spent 920 on jeans, now over time I have become more frugal.

Aaron, be nice- no need to critique ppls jobs or spending habits.

And yes, you'll be surprised at how textiles and the fashion industry work, and how they have adapted in this economic climate.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-08-10 at 12:23 PM.
    01-08-10 12:20 PM
    You can buy a car for $920.

My sister just got a pair of jeans with Swarovski (sp?) crystals on the back pockets...

I think it's obvious I don't understand the appeal but why do you need (or even want) crystals on your jeans?

You can't wash them yourself, they have to be dry-cleaned.
    I'm sure I speak for alot of people when I say I'm not even going to notice the crystals... and I don't care.
    The chances that your expensive jeans are going to fall apart (in this case) are much higher than normal.
    AND they cost like $200.
    01-08-10 02:03 PM
    What jeans did you buy for $920?
    I read in the G Book or World Records the most expensive pair of jeans in the world r like 10 gs...

01-08-10 06:25 PM
    Custom tailored Dolce & Gabbana jeans
    01-09-10 10:11 AM
    How custom taiolered could they be? Do you still have them?

01-09-10 11:01 AM
37 12