My upgrade date is coming up next month. I've looked at the 9930 several times and it's a nice device for sure. I love the keyboard, but I don't have any problems with the 9650 at all. My 9650 runs great. What's the biggest differences/advantages 9930 vs. 9650. I want a 9930, I just having a hard time making a final decision.
    I just learned today that, unlike your 9650, you have to remove the 9930's battery in order to remove the media card. Also, I'm uncertain about this, but as I understand it the BB7 device might actually need an active data connection and require that the user log in to BBID when switching between networks. This could prevent you from using an ordinary SIM with no data as a backup for calls and texts.
    01-26-12 10:57 PM
    I'm in the same boat also. My upgrade is coming in Feb also. My 9650 is running great! Not sure what I want to do at this point. I would like something with a bigger screen now that I am over 60 years old. I also played with the 9930 in the Verizon store and really love it...especially that keyboard.
    01-27-12 03:54 PM
    Yea,mee too, I'm on the fence about upgrading to the 9930 as well. My 9650 is working as good as the first day I purchased it. I like the form factor of the 9930 and my upgrade is in a couple of months, but I might wait on the QNX phones for a substantial upgrade
    01-27-12 04:17 PM
    Well it sounds like I'm not alone on that fence! I really do like the 9930, the keyboard and bigger screen, touch and keyboard would be great. But my 9650 is just humming along with 706. To me it's running better now than it did when I first got it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    01-27-12 06:16 PM
    I have had my 9930 since November. I have come to appreciate it more over time. The keyboard is great and works well for my fingers. The OS is reasonable. I am using the most recent official release from Verizon. I find myself using the touchscreen more than I thought I would. Using it in combination with the touchpad has been good for me. The battery life is nothing special. I am not a heavy user so getting through the day is not a problem. When I do use the internet more or do some work in evernote, the battery drop off is more rapid than I had hoped for.

As for my 9650, I have kept it as a terrific backup device. In my opinion, it is a great BB and still serves me well for keeping passwords, etc. To be honest, I made the switch to the 9930 because I could, not because my 9650 was giving me problems. It was simply a personal choice.
    01-27-12 09:09 PM
    I have had my 9930 since November. I have come to appreciate it more over time. The keyboard is great and works well for my fingers. The OS is reasonable. I am using the most recent official release from Verizon. I find myself using the touchscreen more than I thought I would. Using it in combination with the touchpad has been good for me. The battery life is nothing special. I am not a heavy user so getting through the day is not a problem. When I do use the internet more or do some work in evernote, the battery drop off is more rapid than I had hoped for.

As for my 9650, I have kept it as a terrific backup device. In my opinion, it is a great BB and still serves me well for keeping passwords, etc. To be honest, I made the switch to the 9930 because I could, not because my 9650 was giving me problems. It was simply a personal choice.
    I have to agree on all counts. My biggest likes about the 9930 are the keyboard and the screen. I don't use the touchscreen so much, but I really like the larger screen size. I was surprised just how much difference the extra 0.3 inches really makes.

The keyboard is the real driver here, though. I really liked typing on my 9650 keyboard, but the 9930 keyboard just feels so right. It took a little bit of time to get used to it, but I am so much faster and more accurate on the bigger keyboard. It feels different to the touch -- it's easier to type on it, and to type fast.

I pick up my daughter's 9650 or my son's 9650 and they feel small in comparison. Almost like comparing the 9650 to a 9330. It's that kind of difference.

There have been a lot of complaints in the forums about battery life. It shouldn't be a surprise that a smaller battery driving a larger and apparently brighter screen won't last as long as a 9650 or 9700 battery. I can typically get a full day out of mine with the usual power-saving setup that we've all used with our 96XX devices. Not like the two days that I could normally coax from my 9650 with the WiFi radio secured, but good enough. I keep a charged spare battery with me, but I've only been forced to swap batteries once. The rest of the time the battery gets exchanged just to keep the battery fresh.

If I had to describe a complaint, it would have to be about the charging stand/pod. What a waste! The charging socket is too shallow and the angle too steep (along with no back support) to securely hold the phone in place. It won't charge a second battery either. The Y-cable charging set for handling a second battery is way overpriced for what you get when you can find one. Seidio has a charging pod like the one that they sold for the 96XX that worked with the phone wrapped in their Surface case. Seidio's 99XX charging stand fits the naked phone or the phone inside their Active case (Seidio's verison of the Otterbox Commuter) AND has a socket to charge a spare battery. BTW, Seidio has announced several times that they will not be producing or selling an extended battery for the 9930. The dinky stock battery is all we get.

If you're still sitting on the fence, look really hard at this one. Every day I like this device more and more. I saw it at Costco online for $99 for new line, and $129 as an upgrade. And if you are one of those still holding your unlimited data plan, it'll transfer to your new phone.
    01-27-12 09:57 PM
    So looks like everyone likes the larger screen and the keyboard on the 9930. I will go to a VZW store and give it a try. I'm not sure when I will switch but the 9930 will be my next phone, of that I am sure. I guess I just don't know WHEN I will switch. I think that I might like to TRY a touchscreen but I won't be using it too much. (at least that's what I think).

On another note, my husband came home with a new Droid last week. A Samsung Galaxy something...it has a touchscreen and a keyboard. The touch screen is very hard for me to use as my fingernails get in the way of selections. And the landscape keyboard is too wide for me. I could never use my thumbs to type on that thing! I was so frustrated trying to set up his email that I made him do the typing cause it was too wide. Weird...if I ever left BlackBerry, I'd be searching far and wide for a keyboard I could use.
    01-28-12 12:29 PM
    The 9930 looks like a wonderful device, especially because of the larger keyboard and screen and the nice band, but isn't the 9650 a terrific device also? I love that I can take the media card out w/out pulling the battery. Wasn't that way on my 8330m, and it's not that way on the 9930 either from what I understand.
    01-28-12 01:22 PM
    The 9930 looks like a wonderful device, especially because of the larger keyboard and screen and the nice band, but isn't the 9650 a terrific device also? I love that I can take the media card out w/out pulling the battery. Wasn't that way on my 8330m, and it's not that way on the 9930 either from what I understand.
    Hmmm, I never take the card out so I guess that wouldn't bother me any. I always just plug in to add things or email them to myself.
    01-28-12 01:29 PM
    How is the Queen and the rest of the Ramblers doing today?

Sent from my Dinc using Tapatalk.
    01-28-12 01:56 PM
    So looks like everyone likes the larger screen and the keyboard on the 9930. I will go to a VZW store and give it a try. I'm not sure when I will switch but the 9930 will be my next phone, of that I am sure. I guess I just don't know WHEN I will switch. I think that I might like to TRY a touchscreen but I won't be using it too much. (at least that's what I think).

On another note, my husband came home with a new Droid last week. A Samsung Galaxy something...it has a touchscreen and a keyboard. The touch screen is very hard for me to use as my fingernails get in the way of selections. And the landscape keyboard is too wide for me. I could never use my thumbs to type on that thing! I was so frustrated trying to set up his email that I made him do the typing cause it was too wide. Weird...if I ever left BlackBerry, I'd be searching far and wide for a keyboard I could use.
    The keyboard and the larger screen on the 9930 are really nice. It might take a little getting used to the keyboard. I also think the 9650 keyboard is very good too. I'm pretty sure I'll get the 9930 next. I'm just not sure when.
    01-28-12 02:12 PM
    How is the Queen and the rest of the Ramblers doing today?

Buford? Why I thought an Okie tornado washed you right outta Texas!!!!
    How the he-l-l you been????
    01-28-12 02:21 PM
    LOL. Have been doing good. Been getting lots of rain. But no tornadoes.

01-28-12 02:34 PM
    A buford sighting? Well, I'll be...
    Hello there:

And hello to the other Ramblers...Well I did upgrade but not to the 9930 like I thought I would...Got the Torch 9810 and I love it. The combo kb and large touch screen is perfect for me. I do love the Bold 9650 though and it was a tough choice....but my hubby's company made it easy when they switched to ATT, so alas so did we (for the better discounts).

But the 9930 is a beautiful device and I have to agree, the keyboard is super...

Happy Weekend!
    01-28-12 03:19 PM
    Hi Hamster.

01-28-12 04:19 PM

VZW has a Samsung with a slide out keyboard called Stratosphere. It wasn't bad, but the keyboard didn't feel right for me. I had to shop for a new work phone a few weeks back and couldn't choose a BlackBerry. It had something to do with how the BB email works. The email password is apparently stored on the server at the NOC, and that won't work for the government email security folks. At any rate, I wound up with the HTC Thunderbolt. It's a nice 4G device to cut my Android teeth on, and the $99 price wasn't bad either. Then I got the $99 credited back when the thing went on sale online last weekend. The glass keyboard just is not the same as a BlackBerry though. Not at all. It will feel like a much bigger version of the glass keyboard on your Nook. At least with the Nook, you can use more than just your thumbs.

If the keyboard is going to be the main driver for you, then your choices include (but may or may not be limited to) the 9930 or Motorola Droid Pro (http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-pro) from VZW, the Motorola Admiral (http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-motorola-admiral) from Sprint, or the Torch 9810 from AT&T that Hamster just got.

I've been carrying both my 9930 and the Thunderbolt for several weeks now, and I just today shut off all the email on the Thunderbolt except for the work email account. Compared to my 9930, typing on the Android machine is too much work. Don't get me wrong -- the Thunderbolt is a sweet device. It does a lot of things better than my BlackBerry. Messaging is not one of them.

I've not tried the virtual keyboard on the Torch 9850 for any length of time (just in the store), but I thought it to be somewhat similar to the Android devices. I noted a little bit of lag with the keyboard, but it could have been me fat-fingering the words, too.

By all means, try out the virtual keyboards. Based on what you've revealed about how you use your Bold in the past who-knows-how-long you've been posting in the CB forums, I think you'll be happiest with the 9930.
    Last edited by Underway99; 01-28-12 at 06:50 PM.
    01-28-12 06:48 PM
    Thanks for that information Peter! I really believe the 9930 will make me the happiest as well. I can't believe how clumsy the Droid felt in my hands. Of course, HE bought it for him, not me. But I thought, ok, let me try this out. I just don't think I can make a jump to a total touch screen and the KB would have to be perfect. My bb KB is just what I need. I hope the 9930 is the same for me.

A few people have told me the browser on the 9930 is so much better than what I have now and that would also help me decide to move along. SO I am looking forward to actually trying one and then getting one as soon as I hear about Theme Builder 7. They say it is closer than previously thought. That is (as you all now) the one main reason why I will wait.

As for typing on my Nook...I don't unless I really have to! That's how much I dislike the virtual KB.

PS I don't see me moving to Droid for any reason... Are you surprised???
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 01-28-12 at 07:02 PM.
    01-28-12 06:59 PM
    Thanks for that information Peter! I really believe the 9930 will make me the happiest as well. I can't believe how clumsy the Droid felt in my hands. Of course, HE bought it for him, not me. But I thought, ok, let me try this out. I just don't think I can make a jump to a total touch screen and the KB would have to be perfect. My bb KB is just what I need. I hope the 9930 is the same for me.

A few people have told me the browser on the 9930 is so much better than what I have now and that would also help me decide to move along. SO I am looking forward to actually trying one and then getting one as soon as I hear about Theme Builder 7. They say it is closer than previously thought. That is (as you all now) the one main reason why I will wait.

As for typing on my Nook...I don't unless I really have to! That's how much I dislike the virtual KB.

PS I don't see me moving to Droid for any reason... Are you surprised???
    No surprise here!

You know, clumsy is a great word to describe how the Thunderbolt feels in my hands. No balance at all.
    Last edited by Underway99; 01-28-12 at 07:46 PM.
    01-28-12 07:43 PM
    You know I briefly tried the 9850 before I switched and though it's a very nice phone, I just couldn't get used to the all touch typing. If we hadn't gone to ATT, I would have gone with the 9930 for sure.

Peter, I played around with the Stratosphere and like you, felt there was just something about the keyboard that didn't feel right. I guess we are all spoiled with the quality of a BB keyboard.

Jaydee, knowing you, the 9930 is the one for you. I think you will really enjoy it once TB7 is out.
    As for android phones, they are nice, but too big for me, and again the all touch is tough to get used to. And the keyboard versions are yes...clumsy.

BTW, OS7 rocks.
    01-28-12 08:25 PM
    Any Ramblers still on the 9650 running the new vzw 6.0.0.719? Looking for feedback.
    01-29-12 11:06 AM
    Howdy Fellow Ramblers!

Just thought I'd chime in and say Hi! and am glad to see I am not the only one mulling over the decisions that an available upgrade gives us. I am still enjoying the 9650 here in South Dakota, every once in a while I pull it out of my OtterBox Defender and it feels like a totally different phone. I could get by without it while I am working (insurance business) but having to put its playclothes back on to go hunting or go to the farm is too much of a hassle, so it is in the defender most of the time.

I am leaning heavily towards the 9930 but am considering other devices as well. Wife and I got a Playbook for Christmas and am leaning towards sticking with a BB device for the ease of BB Bridge use, however some of the other available phones that can use wifi hotspot would be slick as well!

Look forward to seeing how everyone handles their upcoming upgrade availability...
    01-30-12 12:14 AM
    Good morning ramblers. Has everybody seen the the new pictures of the next style of blackberry? If this is true I definitely would like to try one. They look sharp. Wonder what one with keyboard will look like?

02-01-12 05:55 AM
    I think those new phones are way too big and flat looking. I hope the BB10 is just as wonderful as they say but someone's gotta rework the way that thing looks!
    02-01-12 07:22 AM
    The ones with the keyboard will probably look different.

02-01-12 07:26 AM
    I'm not waiting for the new phones anyway. I will be getting a 9930 and then if the new ones come out and I have to have one...I'll switch outright. Can't see the new phones being ready much before I am ready to switch devices again.
    02-01-12 07:35 AM
23,186 ... 696697698699700 ...