Well, here's a good one! I have not restarted my phone since 9:30 this am so it's been about 9 hours. My phone bottomed out at -20.1MB and I resisted the urge to reboot to just see how low it would go. It has been on the charger for about a half hour and now suddenly I'm at -13.1MB.

How did that happen? Did Memory Cleaning gain memory? I didn't do anything manually. Weird. I gained like 7MB...interestingly the same amount Paul said he gained the other day...a flaw in the OS? A quirky coincidence? Jus saying...weird!!!

And then another hour later...sitting in the charger...it drops to -28.3MB!!!!
    Bizarre!
    You phone has multiple personalities. Kind of like the Redskins.
    11-21-10 07:00 PM
    Jaydee - question - does it really matter at the moment if you have memory loss, or rather your Bold has memory loss. Had it actually interferred with operations? Yes, I know it is irritating but can you live with it anyway if it is not blowing some other app out of the water? Just asking?
    11-21-10 09:11 PM
    Well, I took the plunge - no not an OS plunge:

Taken with the Bold which made a very brief entrance into the heavy snowfall - don't want wet BB!!!!!
    11-21-10 09:13 PM
    Well, I took the plunge - no not an OS plunge:

Taken with the Bold which made a very brief entrance into the heavy snowfall - don't want wet BB!!!!!
    Oh F2...here I thought you were joining me in my misery! Looks wonderful tho! Congrats!
    And yes, I can certainly live with the leak. In fact, all day I did not reboot and was able to do everything I wanted, including watching online streaming of the NFL. So I am not suffering there. I am only complaining to do my part for science, as it were. Lol.
    11-21-10 09:26 PM
    Oh F2...here I thought you were joining me in my misery! Looks wonderful tho! Congrats!
    And yes, I can certainly live with the leak. In fact, all day I did not reboot and was able to do everything I wanted, including watching online streaming of the NFL. So I am not suffering there. I am only complaining to do my part for science, as it were. Lol.
    I think you have earned a Phd in the scientific wierdness of the BB and we'll have to start calling you Dr. JayDee for your contributions to Science...
    11-22-10 06:03 AM
    So, JayDee, how did you fare with Big Red today? Inquiring minds (and Ramblers) want to know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-10 03:12 PM
    So, JayDee, how did you fare with Big Red today? Inquiring minds (and Ramblers) want to know.

Ramblers-
    I spoke with VZW customer service and they are sending me a replacement phone. Should be here by tomorrow! I explained about the chirping and clanging and the rep took a few minutes to test call my handset. It did not chirp then, though as it usually takes a few minutes on a call to do so. She also put me on hold to check into the matter and said that it is a known issue and it is NOT the network; it is MY PHONE! Therefore, she wants to replace it.
    I tried standing on my head to stop the chirping and now I realize its the hardware! So when we say OS6 won't run because of the hardware...we are correct in that assumption! So I'll be getting a refurbished one very shortly.

Thank you for the number Underway. I got right through to a technician!

Now, what do I send back and what do I keep. And when it comes in, what do I do with a new phone? (I mean new to me). To switch files, contacts, OS upgrades, etc. Suggestions?
    11-22-10 05:23 PM
    JD the only thing you send back is the phone, keep the battery and battery door and just swap out the phones. First I would backup your phone, and then downgrade to the verizon offical so they dont know you were running unofficial software. Next if you want to upgrade your new phone to 6.0. When thats done use the device switch option on dm to transfer all you stuff to the new phone. When thats done do a factory security wipe on your old phone to erase all your info on the old unit.
    11-22-10 06:23 PM
    JD the only thing you send back is the phone, keep the battery and battery door and just swap out the phones. First I would backup your phone, and then downgrade to the verizon offical so they dont know you were running unofficial software. Next if you want to upgrade your new phone to 6.0. When thats done use the device switch option on dm to transfer all you stuff to the new phone. When thats done do a factory security wipe on your old phone to erase all your info on the old unit.
    Thanks RR!
    Can I do this? Upgrade the OS to 6 on the new phone, load my backup file through DM selective restore (just to restore a few things I need) and then load all 3rd party apps with BBSAK? I like doing them individually thru BBSAK by the cods.

Then load OS5 back on my old phone and do a security wipe?
    11-22-10 06:32 PM
    yep that should work JD, thats how i did mine when i received a replacement for my old tour and it worked just fine.
    11-22-10 06:49 PM
    JayDee, I had to swap out three Tours, and I left the phone without an OS. I made a backup with both DM and BBSAK, then did a security wipe followed by the low-level wipe in BBSAK. Yes, I know it's probably redundant, but I'm pretty anal about personal data security. At any rate, that leaves the phone completely naked -- error 507 on the white screen. If you DO leave an OS loaded, make sure it's an official release. VZW tech guys (the ones that I sent you to) told me that, as long as they are replacing the phone for a hardware issue, Big Red's contractor won't care if the phone has an OS, so long as they get the hardware.

Oh, and make sure that you also keep your SIM if you've ever used it. It may have personal data. I kept all of my SIMs and sent back just the phone carcass. No battery, no back, no screen protector.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-22-10 at 07:12 PM.
    11-22-10 07:05 PM
    Thank you for the information Underway. If I don't need to, I'd rather not load another OS on it and just blank it out like you said. My screen protector I had forgotten about. I will have to tear it off and get myself a new one.

The phone has shipped so I would think sometime tomorrow it will be here and tomorrow night I can load it up. WooHoo...I'm home on Wednesday so I can stay up into the wee hours of the morning taking care of my phone. What a geek...

Maybe now I won't get any clanging, chirping or other noises on the line. Does that mean my radio is bad? They said it is the phone when it does that...
    11-22-10 07:27 PM
    I suppose that your radio could be bad. I recall that was in the discussion some months back.

We keep hearing that Big Red is supposed to be releasing OS6 any time now. Maybe you'll get your phone preloaded with OS6?

11-22-10 08:12 PM
    I suppose that your radio could be bad. I recall that was in the discussion some months back.

We keep hearing that Big Red is supposed to be releasing OS6 any time now. Maybe you'll get your phone preloaded with OS6?

Here's my latest worry. I'll load it with OS6 and it will still leak!
    Oh well, then I can call VZW back and we can have ANOTHER conversation! They were very cooperative tonight. Extremely.
    11-22-10 08:16 PM
    Thank you for the information Underway. If I don't need to, I'd rather not load another OS on it and just blank it out like you said. My screen protector I had forgotten about. I will have to tear it off and get myself a new one.

The phone has shipped so I would think sometime tomorrow it will be here and tomorrow night I can load it up. WooHoo...I'm home on Wednesday so I can stay up into the wee hours of the morning taking care of my phone. What a geek...

Maybe now I won't get any clanging, chirping or other noises on the line. Does that mean my radio is bad? They said it is the phone when it does that...
    JayDee, I'm very happy to hear that you are getting a replacement phone, they should have given you one on your first call to them.

Just to re-enforce the advice you have been given:
    1. You send only the carcass, keep SIM cards, 2gig flash drive, cover and battery.
    2. You can leave the screen protector on if you are not able to use it again. Don't think they care, they'll just rip is off.
    3. Upgrade your phone to the OS you want, then do a device transfer using DM. Don't know your reason for not allowing everything to transfer through DM, but using BBSAK should be fine. You may lose some of your data if any of the apps that you load with BBSAK have data in them or have backups such as BeWeather and MeterBerry.
    4. Wipe your phone with BBSAK, that should do it, don't see the need for multiple wipes. Just don't bother to reload an OS, not necessary as the refurb process will load the OS that vzw wants on it.
    5. Packup the carcass and send it back with the labels that vzw sends you. You are done.
    When I got my replacement phones they were NIB, so they had all the cables and cords included which I kept. I suspect that the referb that you will get won't have all of that stuff, may not have a back cover, battery, etc. Whatever is there, remove from the box, it's yours.

Let us know how if works.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-22-10 08:16 PM
    Thank you Bob...RR and Underway!!!
    I am excited about getting a new phone. I mean refurb. I hope it has a decent track pad and keyboard. They can't send me a POS, can they? Oh well, if I'm not happy, it will go back as well.
    11-22-10 08:48 PM
    Thank you Bob...RR and Underway!!!
    I am excited about getting a new phone. I mean refurb. I hope it has a decent track pad and keyboard. They can't send me a POS, can they? Oh well, if I'm not happy, it will go back as well.
    I actually think that a refurb might be a good deal since they knew what was wrong with the device and should have been able to repair it. That assumes some level of competency on the part of the org that does the refurbs...
    11-22-10 09:23 PM
    Never mind the BB's. What's with the way the forum is displaying on firefox. Almost everything except the top bar info is off to the right. I have to scroll to see it - maybe they are giving me a taste of what the OS6 browser is like!!!!
    11-22-10 09:46 PM
    Never mind the BB's. What's with the way the forum is displaying on firefox. Almost everything except the top bar info is off to the right. I have to scroll to see it - maybe they are giving me a taste of what the OS6 browser is like!!!!
    Looks pretty good in Internet Explorer.

BTW, the mobile site is yet unchanged.
    11-22-10 11:51 PM
    The forum is NEW! COLORFUL! IMPROVED!
    yikes...it must be **** on a mobile browser...I'm afraid to even try it!

On another note, my new Baby Bold originated in DFW, so BOB...I hope you sprinkled it with fairy dust before it left your great state and headed to me. It is in Memphis now so hopefully it will arrive when I get home today!

Then I will be posting my switch info.

Now here's a question: all my apps from mobihand? I need to wait for them to issue new keycodes or do I just switch my pin when I get the new one?
    And when do I switch BIS info...and put in my new pin?

Wow! I can't say h-e-l-l! Dang! That would seriously put a crimp in my day if real life had censors!!!! LMAO
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-23-10 at 07:32 AM.
    11-23-10 06:19 AM
    Hey Essex Ramblers, first of all I want to thank Jaydee and Paul for helping me out of a real traumatic experience this morning.Thanks again Jaydee and Paul.
    Keith, glad to be of assistance!

On another note, my new Baby Bold originated in DFW, so BOB...I hope you sprinkled it with fairy dust before it left your great state and headed to me. It is in Memphis now so hopefully it will arrive when I get home today!

Now here's a question: all my apps from mobihand? I need to wait for them to issue new keycodes or do I just switch my pin when I get the new one?
    I'm not wild about the new look, maybe it will grow on me.

Log into Mobihand when you're up and running and change your pin, they send you an email to confirm and then your activation codes will be updated.

After you activate your new device, log into your BIS acct and update your pin.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-23-10 at 07:38 AM.
    11-23-10 07:33 AM
    PC-Should I be using DM's switch device wizard or should I just use a selective restore from DM?

And can I put back apps even tho I don't have the new keycodes? I imagine it will take a while for the code change to come down and I wanna load up my phone when I get it...
    11-23-10 07:39 AM
    PC-Should I be using DM's switch device wizard or should I just use a selective restore from DM?

And can I put back apps even tho I don't have the new keycodes? I imagine it will take a while for the code change to come down and I wanna load up my phone when I get it...
    I think, but I don't remember for sure, DSW migrates your apps for you. you can install your apps, and not activate them, while you wait for the new codes. IIRC it took about an hour to get the confirm from mobihand.

I haven't run a DSW since I went from Pearl to Curve back in June 2009, and I haven't done the Mobihand think since I got my Bold this June.
    11-23-10 07:50 AM

Wow! I can't say h-e-l-l! Dang! That would seriously put a crimp in my day if real life had censors!!!! LMAO
    Yup, sent mojo that way, hope it works...

Surprised at first that it was coming from Dallas area, the remembered that the two uints that I sent back went to somewhere up there. Guess the refurb shop is in that area.

As I recall, you go to one of the apps and enter the key, it will tell you that the pin is wrong and ask if you want to change it. Will then take you to the site and a screen that allows the change and, I presume, disables the original pin.

Once you have you new baby up and running, go to email setup and logon to BIS, resubmit your PW just to be sure for each of your emails, then send the servcie books. All should be in order after that.

Good luck, holler if you have problems, someone will be on duty to assist you.
    11-23-10 07:55 AM
    I think, but I don't remember for sure, DSW migrates your apps for you. you can install your apps, and not activate them, while you wait for the new codes. IIRC it took about an hour to get the confirm from mobihand.

I haven't run a DSW since I went from Pearl to Curve back in June 2009, and I haven't done the Mobihand think since I got my Bold this June.
    I could be wrong, but as I mentioned above I think I remember entering the activation codes and being given the option to go toe the site and change the pin. I certainly could be wrong here. I also thaought that some of them continued to use the same ac's.
    11-23-10 07:59 AM
23,186 ... 317318319320321 ...