I'm down .6 MB since I rebooted yesterday. I'm puzzled as to why you have such a huge leak.
    I'm also puzzled as my memory never drops more than .2 in 24hrs. I have a theory tho, All the themes that JayDee had on os-5 that couldn't come over to 6 left a huge void, abyss or black hole in her bold and that is where the leaking memory is going. Once the abyss is filled, problem solved.
    11-18-10 08:34 AM
    Really, if it weren't for Yester they would have!

So, WHERE'S TOURBOY????

OK, that said, this has been a great and informative group to hand out in. I was very new to BB when I joined CB and soon found myself in this thread and made lots of great friends. I have learned a huge amount about BBs in these forums, especially in this one since our Baby Bolds dropped out of the sky.

My thanks to ALL of you that hang out on CB and especially the "Essex Ramblers". The "Essex Ramblers" are my BB family...
    I'm also puzzled as my memory never drops more than .2 in 24hrs. I have a theory tho, All the themes that JayDee had on os-5 that couldn't come over to 6 left a huge void, abyss or black hole in her bold and that is where the leaking memory is going. Once the abyss is filled, problem solved.
    You guys are my Essex family too! We should all get tee-shirts and have a reunion...somewhere warm, of course! Hey Jim, we'll come out and see you!!! LOL...Can you imagine us all meeting, for real? That would be wild!!!!

Jim, I have a terrible black hole without themes. I am dying here. I want to save as much memory as I can for whatever themes they can create as soon as TB for Bolds is released!!!

Thanks to Mr. Yester for keeping this thread opened. It has been a source of great information and comfort to many of us here.
    11-18-10 08:40 AM
    You guys are my Essex family too! We should all get tee-shirts and have a reunion...somewhere warm, of course! Hey Jim, we'll come out and see you!!! LOL...Can you imagine us all meeting, for real? That would be wild!!!!

Jim, I have a terrible black hole without themes. I am dying here. I want to save as much memory as I can for whatever themes they can create as soon as TB for Bolds is released!!!

Thanks to Mr. Yester for keeping this thread opened. It has been a source of great information and comfort to many of us here.
    Yes, thanks Yester for keeping our ramblin' thread open.
    Regarding the themes, when they are finally released for os-6 it will have been worth the wait I'm sure. I missed mine at first, but got used to changing wp alot. The crackberry wp changer is a nice app.
    Funny, but having a reunion would be pretty interesting. Before I came back to BB I was hooked on nokia and symbian devices and in the series 60 forum on HoFo I was a regular for years. I learned all about nokia devices like I'm learning about BB's now. But They used to have monthly "meet-ups" where everybody would get together for dinner and some bar hopping. It was always in NYC so I never went, (there was a flagship store there) but it sounded like fun. I feel more connected to all of you here on the ramblin' thread than back then with those guys.
    I agree JayDee, it would be fun for sure. It would also be fun to not only meet up and get to know everybody, but to see where we all live. Gotta check out Bob's golf cart. I'd like to make it to Albany someday as that is where my ancestors settled after they got off the boat.
    So Az in the winter and NY state in the summer. Take our pick.
    11-18-10 09:01 AM
    No, you still owe the membership payment..payable to the JayDee retirement fund...LMAO
    and Yes, you know plenty about phones so hang around and contribute...it always pays to have another set of eyes or another head to ponder some of the things that go on around here.

8k...woohoo and they tried to shut us down!
    Take that!!!!!
    So, my check goes to the JayDee retirement fund? Spelled "Chivas Regal", right? The perfect compliment to memory loss. For that matter, it could be a cause, too.
    11-18-10 09:04 AM
    I read JayDee's post where she tells us about her 11MB overnight leak with her hybrid. After much thought, I have to wonder if she could possibly have a hardware problem.

She had no memory problems with OS5, which is what the phone was released with. Since her phone memory problems started after she finally gave in to all of our badgering and loaded OS6, we have been assuming that her issue was related to the OS6 install. However, she has loaded OS6 .333 multiple times, and has now loaded her .357 hybrid. She has replaced her apps with no substantial improvemnt. My question for the coders out there: does OS6 utilize and/or access physical memory in the same manner that OS5 handles memory?

If OS6 is using memory differently, it may be accessing some part of the hardware (for example, is there a hard memory controller?) that was not used by OS5. Remember that RIM supposedly designed our Bold to run OS6. What if there is some issue with that particular circuit?

This is just me theorizing here. I could be barking up the wrong tree, too. It could also be a known issue for RIM that may be addressed in the final "official" release.

Thoughts anyone?
    11-18-10 10:55 AM
    I read JayDee's post where she tells us about her 11MB overnight leak with her hybrid. After much thought, I have to wonder if she could possibly have a hardware problem.

She had no memory problems with OS5, which is what the phone was released with. Since her phone memory problems started after she finally gave in to all of our badgering and loaded OS6, we have been assuming that her issue was related to the OS6 install. However, she has loaded OS6 .333 multiple times, and has now loaded her .357 hybrid. She has replaced her apps with no substantial improvemnt. My question for the coders out there: does OS6 utilize and/or access physical memory in the same manner that OS5 handles memory?

If OS6 is using memory differently, it may be accessing some part of the hardware (for example, is there a hard memory controller?) that was not used by OS5. Remember that RIM supposedly designed our Bold to run OS6. What if there is some issue with that particular circuit?

This is just me theorizing here. I could be barking up the wrong tree, too. It could also be a known issue for RIM that may be addressed in the final "official" release.

Thoughts anyone?
    It's funny you should post that now. I was just BBMing PC telling him that I am really stumped. Because of the big memory loss this am, I started putting back my apps because I figured, "Oh the **** with it". After I reboot, the memory stays consistent at -.2 MB. then after a half hour, it starts to drop to -2.5MB. From there it continues to go down.

I deleted the BBM group I belonged to in hopes that it was the problem.
    The jury is still out on that one. Looks promising. That may be the thing. I have always kept the group because it reloaded with all my contacts. Updates to follow...

I also put apps on, saw a drop shortly after and took apps off in the reverse order. At this point, I am keeping off any app that is not ESSENTIAL. (even tho I've paid for several I have deleted )

Hardware issue is something to consider. My keyboard is shot. Paint chipping, track pad shellac has completely been chipped off. If I try hard enough, I bet I can whine loud enough to get a refurbished unit from VZW. Should I be doing that now?

Oh, somewhere there is a VZW rep who is gonna know my name....
    11-18-10 11:05 AM
    It's funny you should post that now. I was just BBMing PC telling him that I am really stumped. Because of the big memory loss this am, I started putting back my apps because I figured, "Oh the **** with it". After I reboot, the memory stays consistent at -.2 MB. then after a half hour, it starts to drop to -2.5MB. From there it continues to go down.

The jury is still out on that one. Looks promising. That may be the thing. I have always kept the group because it reloaded with all my contacts. Updates to follow...

I also put apps on, saw a drop shortly after and took apps off in the reverse order. At this point, I am keeping off any app that is not ESSENTIAL. (even tho I've paid for several I have deleted )

Hardware issue is something to consider. My keyboard is shot. Paint chipping, track pad shellac has completely been chipped off. If I try hard enough, I bet I can whine loud enough to get a refurbished unit from VZW. Should I be doing that now?

You won't have to whine to get a new one if you have peeling paint.
    11-18-10 11:10 AM
    You won't have to whine to get a new one if you have peeling paint.
    But whining is half the FUN, PC!!!!
    And I'm so GOOD at it
    11-18-10 11:13 AM

Meterberry...any ideas?
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-18-10 at 12:43 PM.
    11-18-10 11:47 AM
    So the new theory is that the mem loss is possibly a hardware defect of some kind? Sounds plausible enough. Not sure why it wouldn't have affected os-5 tho. I'm still of the opinion it's app related and the reason it wasn't a problem with 5 is that the app was compatible with it. One reason I'm thinking this is that my own experience has been using the same apps with five and six and only a few at that. I don't have any bbm groups other than just a few contacts, but no grouping. No social feed apps at all. I've used all the incarnations of 6 and 5 as well and never had any mem drop issues. FWIW, I've had the same apps thru out except for b reader which I'm currently trialing.
    So JayDee, sorry if you mentioned this already,(crs is such a biatch), but, have you tried going over nite with no apps? Like after a fresh install. Nothing on your bold but the os? Just wondering .
    11-18-10 11:53 AM
    You mentioned that you deleted your BBM groups. That could very well be part of your problem. I read somewhere that the groups feature is a resource hog. It may yet be software.

However, I'm still leaning more toward hardware. In their rush to get 9650s shipped, I wonder if any of these problem phones that passed the final QA checks with OS5 would have passed those checks with OS6 loaded, especially if OS6 is as different as RIM wants us to believe. Unfortunately, you can't call VZW and complain about that since OS6 isn't yet official. It's a good thing that your shell is shot. Entirely unrelated issue, but it may just work out for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-10 12:02 PM
    I'm thinking any quality checks done before the bolds go out the door are done on a spot check basis only. Maybe only pulling one out of 100 for some type of further check. From what we've all been reading the quality control seems to have been seriously lacking. My first bold had hardware buttons that were non - functional. Very obvious the first time it was turned on. Certainly missed any kind of check. As for software issues, wow, they'd be really difficult to find as these things are going down the line.
    I wonder how many returned/bad devices, whether hardware or software is acceptable for a phone maker before they make any quality control changes
    11-18-10 12:10 PM

A screen shot from a program called INTERNALS
    Anyone make heads or tails of this? Currently I have a 15 MB loss of RAM since I dunno...noon?
    11-18-10 02:05 PM
    I'm down .3 MB since I rebooted last night. I can't figure out where your problem is.
    11-18-10 02:21 PM
    I'm down .3 MB since I rebooted last night. I can't figure out where your problem is.
    Yeah, it's not "leaking" memory; its bleeding
    11-18-10 02:38 PM
    Yeah, it's not "leaking" memory; its bleeding
    Flash looks to be an issue Jaydee, it was never a forgone conclusion that the 9650 would run 6.0. very well.
    I can remember several debates that it may not have enough horse to run it well....yes it well run but maybe not with a lot of apps etc installed ? Just my two cents worth.
    11-18-10 04:52 PM
    Flash looks to be an issue Jaydee, it was never a forgone conclusion that the 9650 would run 6.0. very well.
    I can remember several debates that it may not have enough horse to run it well....yes it well run but maybe not with a lot of apps etc installed ? Just my two cents worth.
    Wizard, what does that mean about flash? What should I be doing?
    I have about 20 apps now installed. I cut my list down a bit recently. I don't have any problem moving around the phone and everything is smooth and fluid. I love the way OS6 looks and moves. Just don't like the memory dropping.

There have to be people with more apps than I have...And as the memory drops, I still have 270MB...more than enough to run whatever I want. Just don't like the leaking.

Have to say I seem to have leveled off at -16. This since 11:30 am today.
    Steady as she goes.
    11-18-10 05:04 PM
    Jaydee, I impressed you have 20 apps and you still have 270 MB free. You shrunk the HE-double hockey sticks out the OS.

11-18-10 07:53 PM

A screen shot from a program called INTERNALS
    Anyone make heads or tails of this? Currently I have a 15 MB loss of RAM since I dunno...noon?
    Basically this is telling you how your memory is being allocated by the OS to the various users of it. Effectively it should be about the same as the total the MB reports. It's the slicing and dicing that the OS does as it allows the various apps and portions of the OS itself to run. For all intents and purposes it is not of much use to anyone other than the guys that are writting code/apps for the device.

Jaydee, I impressed you have 20 apps and you still have 270 MB free. You shrunk the HE-double hockey sticks out the OS.

Boy did she ever, she's going to have to retire those sticks and get new ones as I'm sure they are worn to a frazzel.
    11-19-10 12:31 AM

You didn't happen to try and lubricate your Baby Bold while you were ingesting a little lubrication yourself, did you????

I agree with Paul, you should have not problems replacing the device considering the condition the keys are in. Be sure and not divulge that you have long nails...

OK, hassling aside, I'm begining to buy into the idea that it may well be a hardware problem. RIM could have some firmware in the device that was not used by OS5 but is used by BB6. It would have to do with how memory is accessed and allocated, at least that is my best guess. BB6, at least according to my understanding was built almost from the ground up and as such is almost a totally new OS. That being the case, it is not at all inconcievable that this type of issue could surface with the installation of BB6 using firmware that was not used previously.

JayDee, I'd say call them and grovel!
    11-19-10 12:38 AM

Latest Meterberry posting.
    Notice the GAIN of 36.8 MB when I had my phone reboot at 4:30am before I get up. That means that from about 9 pm last night to 4 am I lost 36 MB...I went to bed at 10 boys and girls!!!! I wasn't even USING my phone....LMAO!!!

WTH???
    11-19-10 06:17 AM
    Latest Meterberry posting.
    Notice the GAIN of 36.8 MB when I had my phone reboot at 4:30am before I get up. That means that from about 9 pm last night to 4 am I lost 36 MB...I went to bed at 10 boys and girls!!!! I wasn't even USING my phone....LMAO!!!

WTH???
    Hey jaydee, here's a good one, my Bold starts up with 263.x free, consistently. I've had 333 for almost 2 weeks now and 263 has been the magic number. This morning I rebooted while I was getting ready for work. Right now MeterBerry says 270.1 free!

Not quite sure how I grew 7mb, but I did.

I agree with Paul, you should have not problems replacing the device considering the condition the keys are in. Be sure and not divulge that you have long nails...

JayDee, I'd say call them and grovel!
    I don't think groveling is necessary. Just call them and tell them you can't tell one key from another unless they're painted with a letter. I'd ask them something along the lines of "So I can expect a replacement device when??!!"
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-19-10 at 06:36 AM.
    11-19-10 06:32 AM
    This morning I rebooted while I was getting ready for work. Right now MeterBerry says 270.1 free!

Not quite sure how I grew 7mb, but I did.
    Sure, it's the 7 MB from my phone and I still got more to spread around. Anyone want part of 36MB that I lost during the night???
    11-19-10 06:56 AM
    Sure, it's the 7 MB from my phone and I still got more to spread around. Anyone want part of 36MB that I lost during the night???
    Well, if that's the case, thank you and sure, I'll take the rest of that 36mb drop.
    11-19-10 07:17 AM
    Jaydee, Since you're giving away free mb this morning, I'll take some too. WTH!!
    11-19-10 07:45 AM
23,186 ... 314315316317318 ...