It looks like memory is not being freed when it's no longer needed. I'll keep an eye on this tonight, and if it continues into tomorrow, I'll wipe and reload. Oh well. I can do that while watching the football games. Maybe we'll have the new leak that JayDee was talking about earlier today?
    Yeah, maybe thats the final "official" release
    I'm retired, but who wants meetings? That was the work day schedule, meetings. Not anymore. No more meetings. Yay!!
    11-12-10 10:56 PM
    HAHA! What have I started here?
    Now everyone sees what I mean, right? There is some kind of leak going on and on my phone, the free MB is dropping like a rock!

I am going to open the Application Memory and take a look as you said Underway.
    Bob, I don't think BatteryEX is the culprit. And I have talked to Paul and he has NO leak at all and he is running the .333 just as we are.

It's either an app, (In my case, very possible because I have so many), or as Underway stated, memory is not freed up upon closing apps.

I went to the BetaOS thread last night and found a 357 over 333 hybrid that I might like to try...if I hadn't had so much trouble getting this one on!...357 will be our next leak anyway...and this hybrid combines both.

My memory just keeps dropping steadily.....
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-13-10 at 06:42 AM.
    11-13-10 06:38 AM
    And I hate to double post here but my email from my device doesn't work again. I went into setup and put back my password which seems to keep disappearing but no dice. Everytime I restart, email doesn't work?

Anyone got any ideas on that? Get mail just fine. Can't send from the device.

EDIT: If I put in my password at BIS, SAVE and reboot...email works from my device
    I hate OS6 more and more each day!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-13-10 at 07:45 AM.
    11-13-10 06:58 AM
    Jaydee, I'm not having any problem with a memory leak or email. My free memory is consistently around 270mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 08:38 AM
    Same with me JayDee, my memory has been rock solid stable. I think your issue is with one or possibly more of your apps. Not every app is 100% compatible with os-6. If I was having your memory leak issue tho I'd be looking at each new arrival, as you said you installed some new ones, right?
    You didn't try to smuggle any themes from 5 onboard did you?
    I did have an email issue the first time I loaded 6, but a simple reboot fixed it. Maybe that hybrid you mentioned is an option for you. I'd at least give that a try before giving up on 6 entirely.
    EDIT: Is there a possibility that your email issue is related to any app? Have you just tried uninstalling the newer ones to check?
    Last edited by cbreze; 11-13-10 at 08:54 AM.
    11-13-10 08:51 AM
    I have a memory leak to. My phone roughly loses about 20mb of app memory before it holds steady, and in all honestly i think you guys are worrying about nothing. RIM put 512mb in our phones for a reason, and even with my phone loosing 20mb worth of memory i still have roughly 230mb free. With that much free i dont really see the point of worrying about 20mb. Sure it means that one of my apps is probably causing it, but its just a number. My phone isint running slowly because of it and it still has PLENTY more memory to run everything efficiently. I would just let it be and dont stress over 20 or so mb of memory because in the end it wont slow down your phone and you have plenty of memory to run everything you want.
    11-13-10 09:12 AM
    I have a memory leak to. My phone roughly loses about 20mb of app memory before it holds steady, and in all honestly i think you guys are worrying about nothing. RIM put 512mb in our phones for a reason, and even with my phone loosing 20mb worth of memory i still have roughly 230mb free. With that much free i dont really see the point of worrying about 20mb. Sure it means that one of my apps is probably causing it, but its just a number. My phone isint running slowly because of it and it still has PLENTY more memory to run everything efficiently. I would just let it be and dont stress over 20 or so mb of memory because in the end it wont slow down your phone and you have plenty of memory to run everything you want.
    I have no issue at all with the phone settling in and dumping 20MB or so if that's what it is designed to do and had been working like that since the beginning. But this just suddenly started yesterday, five days after I loaded .333 and right after I tried helping JayDee. I would have expected it to settle before that.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-13-10 at 09:39 AM.
    11-13-10 09:30 AM
    RR I understand what you are saying and if mine would dump the 20MB and stop, and someone told me expect that...then ok. But here I am, afraid to move to OS6 as it is, and when I DO...whoa MEMORY LEAKAGE!!!

The other thing is, I know we have enough memory to run everything but as far as I'm concerned, OS6 doesn't do it as nearly as smoothly as OS5 did. I think that is what bugs me. My media perusal is herky jerky. Takes me a full 5 minutes to get media to allow me to browse my pictures!!!!

That sux, especially when I want to show something to someone or email something to Photobucket. Why is it sooooo slow? I have no control over the track pad while it's "indexing" either. And why does it act so slow each and every time I open media? This never happened in OS5.

But i am not changing my OS. I will stick with 6. Tell me it gets better... please.
    11-13-10 09:49 AM
    RR I understand what you are saying and if mine would dump the 20MB and stop, and someone told me expect that...then ok. But here I am, afraid to move to OS6 as it is, and when I DO...whoa MEMORY LEAKAGE!!!

The other thing is, I know we have enough memory to run everything but as far as I'm concerned, OS6 doesn't do it as nearly as smoothly as OS5 did. I think that is what bugs me. My media perusal is herky jerky. Takes me a full 5 minutes to get media to allow me to browse my pictures!!!!

That sux, especially when I want to show something to someone or email something to Photobucket. Why is it sooooo slow? I have no control over the track pad while it's "indexing" either. And why does it act so slow each and every time I open media? This never happened in OS5.

But i am not changing my OS. I will stick with 6. Tell me it gets better... please.
    I've been back and forth between 5 and 6 probably a dozen times and my experience was this: the first time everything was wicked slow and laggy. I posted about it in another thread at how disappointed I was with 6 and couldn't understand why everybody liked it so much. So went back to 5 then on to 6 again and wow, what a diff much less lagginess, but still not great. So about the 3rd time on 6 was the charm. Now I see what everybody was talking about. Very quick overall. Just had to get used to the browser differences.
    So my point being that maybe this load isn't the one that's going to do the trick.
    My bold's media file is as quick as anything I've seen on 5. My pics pul up fast and can be sent fast. So JayDee, your experiences are not normal at all. I hate to say it, but maybe you should consider downgrading and doing another install. Also, a further comment. If I can do it in 30 min and be back on 6 in 30 more, why can't you do the same. I'm less versed in BB speak than you and alot of others on the forum. But with my 30 min method I have a solid os. no real issues I can think of and media is quick, no mem leak, etc,etc.
    Personally from my limited time back with BB and just using my observations around the forums, and this is directed at no one, just an observation, I find people take this upgrade stuff way over the top with all the backups, DM stuff, shrink this, shrink that, wipe this,wipe that. Wow, I have 2mb more than you, etc,etc I could go on and on. I only backup with app loader and let it do it all,backs up, reloads, never have wiped my bold, way to simple. I know. JUst had to vent, sorry. I hope you get it worked out, but I'da reloaded it at least a coupla times by now and be on my way.
    One more observation, again directed at no one, just me thinking out loud. Why does it seem to be a contest to see how many apps one can cram onto any mobile phone. I have friends with eyephones who seem proud that they have 300 apps on their phone and access to 50,000 more. I guess I'm just not getting the app thing. My ten little apps are tried,tested and true. Do something useful each in there own way and they follow me to each os incarnation. I never have any issue with them. On the other hand , if I have tons of apps I just invite problems by the sheer odds being stacked against my bold. If I do find an app I want to try I try it and see how it runs before I try any others. Just my $.02
    Good luck with it JayDee,
    If I can be of any help please let me know.
    11-13-10 11:33 AM
    I fully understand about the OCD nature of lots of us that lurk about these forums. The "crackberry" term is amazingly appropriate.

It's not about having more memory than anyone else. Had it been draining since the beginning, great. But my memory usage has been very stable for almost a week. Perhaps OS6 wasn't working right before, and something yesterday snapped it into full working order. If so, OK. If not, then what changed? Something changed, and I want to know what. That's all.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-13-10 at 12:09 PM.
    11-13-10 12:05 PM
    I fully understand about the OCD nature of lots of us that lurk about these forums. The "crackberry" term is amazingly appropriate.

It's not about having more memory than anyone else. Had it been draining since the beginning, great. But my memory usage has been very stable for almost a week. Perhaps OS6 wasn't working right before, and something yesterday snapped it into full working order. If so, OK. If not, then what changed? Something changed, and I want to know what. That's all.
    My observations were of a general nature, at least that was my intent. I understand your wanting to know. Trust me, if it were my bold I'd be curious as well. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky, but so many issues others are reporting have never been one of my issues. If you figure it out, please let us all know.
    My bigger comment had to do with the obssession alot of folks have with downloading in such a certain and precise manner. Now that does seem ocd, I suppose. I just have found it needless overkill. I guess my mantra is K.I.S.S. Most of us know this as: "keep it simple, stupid"
    EDIT: underway, it really is a curious thing to have your mem issue crop up seemingly out of the blue. Do I understand correctly that you had done nothing that might have initiated it. No change on your part, apps? I will check mine more often as possibly it is a flaw of some sort. I'm hoping for another update also, maybe verizon is getting close to the official.
    Last edited by cbreze; 11-13-10 at 12:22 PM.
    11-13-10 12:18 PM
    My observations were of a general nature, at least that was my intent. I understand your wanting to know. Trust me, if it were my bold I'd be curious as well. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky, but so many issues others are reporting have never been one of my issues. If you figure it out, please let us all know.
    My bigger comment had to do with the obssession alot of folks have with downloading in such a certain and precise manner. Now that does seem ocd, I suppose. I just have found it needless overkill. I guess my mantra is K.I.S.S. Most of us know this as: "keep it simple, stupid"
    EDIT: underway, it really is a curious thing to have your mem issue crop up seemingly out of the blue. Do I understand correctly that you had done nothing that might have initiated it. No change on your part, apps? I will check mine more often as possibly it is a flaw of some sort. I'm hoping for another update also, maybe verizon is getting close to the official.
    No offense taken, here. I agree that some folks seem to make a contest with these things, sort of like kids pimping out their cars.

I thought more about how I've used the phone for the past few days. While I've not loaded anything new, I upgraded my Twitter client yesterday to whatever they just released. I removed it an hour ago, and my drain has stopped. I lost almost 17MB in the hour and a half after I got up this morning with the phone just sitting idle. After I dumped RIM's Twitter client and rebooted, the drain has stopped. I've lost 0.6MB in the last hour. Back to normal?

I may OTA the Twitter again, to see if it was just a bad load. I've not yet decided. The only think I'm following so far is CrackBerry. Possibly solved?
    11-13-10 12:32 PM
    Jim and Underway...
    I am not in a contest either to see how much RAM I can have and how many apps I can cram on my phone. I genuinely use the apps. However, what is the sense in having a phone chock full of RAM if you can't use it to your advantage? That's all I'm saying. I like to add apps. I want to use different apps. When memory drain starts running away with my device...it's not right. OS5 never did this.

I haven't rebooted since 10 am...In that time 3.5 hours, I am down 25.4MB of RAM.

So I deleted Meterberry itself and I will see if THAT is the problem! I dunno. I have taken off several apps one at a time and put them back. Interestingly enough Underway, I used to use TWBB but now use UberTwitter. Wonder if Ubertwitter is doing it? Options doesn't say so but...I will delete it next to see!!!

Jim...rant on, man!!!! When you get going...you remind me of ME!!! LMAO!!!

We are going to get another leak soon. I might just wait until it comes through. Or maybe I will try the hybrid. And I understand that a LEAK is a LEAK...not perfect. But shouldn't we bring to light what is wrong with the leak? Of course, since only I have a memory prob. it's probably my phone. But that's why they call us GEEKS!!!!!
    11-13-10 12:53 PM
    JayDee, you using any of the social feed apps like underway had with twitter as could possibly be an issue? Thats something I do not use at all, as I choose to access those types of sites thru a web link via bookmarks. It seems some others were moaning about issues with the FB beta or something, now twitter? Makes sense if those are constantly connected.
    You got inside info to a coming leak? Bring it on! I'm ready.
    P.S. Glad I got you laughing... my job is done.
    11-13-10 01:32 PM
    My memory drain over the past two hours since deleting TWBB is 0.5MB. Rather than reloading the new Twitter, I may instead load the older TWBB client that came with .333. BTW, I was not using Social Feeds. Just the Twitter client.

Observations?
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-13-10 at 02:40 PM.
    11-13-10 01:36 PM
    JayDee, you using any of the social feed apps like underway had with twitter as could possibly be an issue? Thats something I do not use at all, as I choose to access those types of sites thru a web link via bookmarks. It seems some others were moaning about issues with the FB beta or something, now twitter? Makes sense if those are constantly connected.
    Jim, I am using Ubertwitter...which is a Twitter client. That's the one I am uninstalling right now. Meterberry went back on as I experienced a 10MB drop in a half an hour, so it wasn't Meterberry!

Inside info...yes! I have a friend "in the know". Says we should be getting 6.0.0.357 shortly...
    11-13-10 01:37 PM
    I have a friend who installed OS6 a few days ago, didn't like the browser, went back to 5. Decided today to install again. I said keep an eye on a memory leak, will you? Sure, he says. No apps installed and he has dropped from 280 MB to 230 MB in three hours!

Whatever.
    I mean what do you call that? No apps?
    Anyway, I deleted ubertwitter less than an hour ago...my leak has SLOWED to 4.4...

Ubertwitter may have been the problem...
    will edit this post again in another hour to let you know what I find.
    Oh and if UT is the problem, I still need a Twitter client, so I will be interested in knowing what you find out, Underway. I had T4BB but it doesn't re-tweet....

1 hour after deleting UT= down 10MB
    leads me to believe I still have a leaky app
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-13-10 at 02:46 PM.
    11-13-10 02:31 PM
    It's been another hour now, and my memory drain has fluctuated a bit, but still remains under 0.5MB. I can use the Twitter through the browser if and when I want it.

I wonder what unpublished changes went into the new TWBB client?

UPDATE: Four hours since deleting TWBB and I am having almost no memory leakage. My Bold seems to be back to operating like it was yesterday morning before I updated the TWBB.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-13-10 at 03:48 PM.
    11-13-10 02:40 PM
    Jim, I think I found part of the problem. I deleted Ubertwitter about 4 hours ago and I have lost 17MB. It's holding steady. Before it would continue dropping. This seems to be in line with what RR said about a 20MB leak. SO I guess I will go without UT and find another twitter client for now.

Or maybe a link in QL to the website.
    11-13-10 05:19 PM
    Hey, I'm a retiree too (sort of). Just not permanently yet, I hope. I can't get a meeting to save my life. You're retired, have meetings, AND get to play golf. What am I doing wrong?
    Well, these are church and such. I'm involved is some volunteer stuff, mostly related to church. I work part time a couple of days a week and try to play golf at least 2-3 times a week. My part time job is with a golf cart sales and service company, they gave me a really good break on a cart and I bought it so I can just jump in the cart and run to one of the two courses that are part of the club that I belong to. Don't know how I ever had time to work full time.

Just got back from the course an hour ago, dinner and off to another meeting. Tough life!
    11-13-10 05:43 PM
    It's been another hour now, and my memory drain has fluctuated a bit, but still remains under 0.5MB. I can use the Twitter through the browser if and when I want it.

I wonder what unpublished changes went into the new TWBB client?

UPDATE: Four hours since deleting TWBB and I am having almost no memory leakage. My Bold seems to be back to operating like it was yesterday morning before I updated the TWBB.
    I am seeing great memory managment again. Since I was using RIM's Twitter client, and JayDee had UberTwitter but not TWBB, I have to wonder what they share with the OS that would make both of our phones behave similarly.

I hope that whatever the issue, it does not affect other social networking clients as well. Recall the memory issues that the new FB beta had. I deleted the final version before I could see if that was fixed. RIM seems to be pushing the social networking capabilities of OS6. I certainly wouldn't want to find that the social clients drag down the OS.
    11-13-10 05:57 PM
    Well, these are church and such. I'm involved is some volunteer stuff, mostly related to church. I work part time a couple of days a week and try to play golf at least 2-3 times a week. My part time job is with a golf cart sales and service company, they gave me a really good break on a cart and I bought it so I can just jump in the cart and run to one of the two courses that are part of the club that I belong to. Don't know how I ever had time to work full time.

Just got back from the course an hour ago, dinner and off to another meeting. Tough life!
    Sounds like a good life.

Don't mind my rambling on. I've been looking for work since I retired this past spring. I'm sure that retired life is different when you're ready to stop working.

Oh well, I have lots of time to fix my OS6 memory issues, right?
    11-13-10 06:05 PM
    Sounds like a good life.

Don't mind my rambling on. I've been looking for work since I retired this past spring. I'm sure that retired life is different when you're ready to stop working.

Oh well, I have lots of time to fix my OS6 memory issues, right?
    I understand your looking for work, I got a forced retirement (laid off) at 53 with over 31yrs with the same company. Merger, they said there was no job for me in the new organization; however, I found out that within 3 wks they had hired a contractor to do my job. Burocracy!

I looked for another job for a long time, did some tech computer training, worked at a golf course before I could draw my retirement because the discount was a killer until I turned 60.

Don't know how old you are; however, if you are into your 50s you will find that it is pretty hard for anyone over 50 to find much in the job market. We are dinasours and companies are not willing to pay for our experience. They would rather pay a kid who knows nothing a log less and hope that they don't screw up the works too badly. Such is life.
    11-13-10 06:20 PM
    I understand your looking for work, I got a forced retirement (laid off) at 53 with over 31yrs with the same company. Merger, they said there was no job for me in the new organization; however, I found out that within 3 wks they had hired a contractor to do my job. Burocracy!

I looked for another job for a long time, did some tech computer training, worked at a golf course before I could draw my retirement because the discount was a killer until I turned 60.

Don't know how old you are; however, if you are into your 50s you will find that it is pretty hard for anyone over 50 to find much in the job market. We are dinasours and companies are not willing to pay for our experience. They would rather pay a kid who knows nothing a log less and hope that they don't screw up the works too badly. Such is life.
    My military retirement was forced too -- mandated by Congress. I'm not quite at 50, but close enough to know that age is an issue. You're right about paying for the experience too. My 24 years in the military doesn't mean much for these companies when they check my age. An older worker with a family is going to demand higher pay and benefts than some kid that they'll have to train from the beginning.
    11-13-10 06:33 PM
    I am seeing great memory managment again. Since I was using RIM's Twitter client, and JayDee had UberTwitter but not TWBB, I have to wonder what they share with the OS that would make both of our phones behave similarly.

I hope that whatever the issue, it does not affect other social networking clients as well. Recall the memory issues that the new FB beta had. I deleted the final version before I could see if that was fixed. RIM seems to be pushing the social networking capabilities of OS6. I certainly wouldn't want to find that the social clients drag down the OS.
    So I deleted Ubertwitter. And installed Twitter for BlackBerry just for a trial. And it seems to be better behaved than what I had originally. It's been an hour and I have experienced only 7MB loss. Quite a difference from the what? 24 I had earlier. So I will leave Twitter on and see how it goes.

Underway, how large was your memory leak with T4BB?
    11-13-10 07:01 PM
23,186 ... 310311312313314 ...