Curiously, I've been noticing something lately. While I've always had my screen brightness set to 100%, it will sometimes fade/dim briefly then go back up. My auto dim feature is disabled. Not sure what to make of this. Not a big deal unless it should get worse. Also, I'm trialing deReboot and setting it for an auto reboot. Kinda pricey at $6. Must be the cadillac of reboot apps.
    11-12-10 03:32 PM
    I think that it might have been more evolution rather than giving up themes...

If something is causing that sort of drain, I would expect that you should be able to see something in the application list -- OPTIONS/DEVICE/ APPLICATION MANAGEMENT/CPU -- hogging up CPU time. That may be a good place to start rather than just deleting and reinstalling apps.
    Options 40%
    BerryBuzz 2%
    Options 23%
    BatteryEx 1%
    Options 38%
    BerryBuzz 1%
    Options 18%

So what's with this Options going crazy???
    11-12-10 03:35 PM
    Curiously, I've been noticing something lately. While I've always had my screen brightness set to 100%, it will sometimes fade/dim briefly then go back up. My auto dim feature is disabled. Not sure what to make of this. Not a big deal unless it should get worse. Also, I'm trialing deReboot and setting it for an auto reboot. Kinda pricey at $6. Must be the cadillac of reboot apps.
    I've seen that as well, with my screen brightness set to 30%. It will momentarily jump to 100% for no apparent reason. I have seen it with auto dim on and off. I figured it was one of those little quirks that go with leaks, like the clock/bedside mode issue.

How is deReboot different from the reboot function in QuickLaunch or MeterBerry or QuickPull?
    11-12-10 03:37 PM
    Options 40%
    BerryBuzz 2%
    Options 23%
    BatteryEx 1%
    Options 38%
    BerryBuzz 1%
    Options 18%

So what's with this Options going crazy???
    Wow! Do you really have OPTIONS appearing four times? Or is it just the CPU value changing? The CPU value will change as you scroll through the application, but I wouldn't expect to see it running multiple times. If you go to the app changer (hold the BB key), do you see multiple instances of the OPTIONS shortcut?
    11-12-10 03:41 PM
    Wow! Do you really have OPTIONS appearing four times? Or is it just the CPU value changing? The CPU value will change as you scroll through the application, but I wouldn't expect to see it running multiple times. If you go to the app changer (hold the BB key), do you see multiple instances of the OPTIONS shortcut?
    No no...sorry. those are the changing values. Why are they so high?
    When I look at app switcher...options doesn't show up at all. But the value is obviously the highest there. The rest of my installed apps say...Not Running
    11-12-10 03:48 PM
    I've seen that as well, with my screen brightness set to 30%. It will momentarily jump to 100% for no apparent reason. I have seen it with auto dim on and off. I figured it was one of those little quirks that go with leaks, like the clock/bedside mode issue.

How is deReboot different from the reboot function in QuickLaunch or MeterBerry or QuickPull?
    I have no ide what makes DeReset(not dereboot)any better. Comes with a 2 week trial. I can review it when I've tried it a bit. It did get good reviews.
    11-12-10 03:54 PM
    When I look at app switcher...options doesn't show up at all. But the value is obviously the highest there. The rest of my installed apps say...Not Running
    The CPU values will change as the application runs, similar to how a Windows program runs, which you can monitor in the Windows Task Manager Performance tab. It is curious that the icon for OPTIONS (the wrench) doesn't show up in the App Switcher.

The rest of your apps will say NOT RUNNING if they are not actively being used. For example, if you watch it long enough, CPU usage for your Twitter app should increase when it does it's scheduled message poll.
    11-12-10 03:58 PM
    I have no ide what makes DeReset(not dereboot)any better. Comes with a 2 week trial. I can review it when I've tried it a bit. It did get good reviews.
    Oh. Ok. I tried deReset a few weeks ago. I could not see any substantial difference that made it worth the money.
    11-12-10 04:01 PM

Bob, in this screen shot...the purple heart is a skinnable icon...you can change it to be any number of pictures. The members who own the same app create icons that I can use in place of the purple heart. In my last screen shot I posted, the BatteryEx icon was a US Flag. I have hundreds of them. That's all it does tho, is tell me what level my battery is at.
    Very cool, paid or free?
    11-12-10 04:05 PM
    There is a free version that uses the skins, Bob. I happened to buy the app and it has a memory management icon with it, too that allows you to free up memory. Like Meterberry.
    11-12-10 04:19 PM
    There is a free version that uses the skins, Bob. I happened to buy the app and it has a memory management icon with it, too that allows you to free up memory. Like Meterberry.
    Thanks, I think I'll try the free one and maybe invest in the paid one later if I really like it.
    11-12-10 05:12 PM
    I have no idea how it happened, but my memory usage has inexplicably skyrocketed this afternoon. I've added no apps, I've left nothing running. I have received several emails and BBM with photos, but I have deleted them and cleared the memory cache. All have made no difference.

It seems that the memory usage by the OS has jumped to around 195MB. Is there something going on at RIM that has the OS burning?
    11-12-10 08:06 PM
    OMG! It's an epidemic! Right?
    I had the same exact apps with OS5 and I NEVER lost one MB of memory...NEVER!!! So why is OS6 so bad with memory management?
    11-12-10 08:10 PM
    I had the same exact apps with OS5 and I NEVER lost one MB of memory...NEVER!!! So why is OS6 so bad with memory management?
    Right out of the blue today. Just after I started advising you about YOUR memory drain. Until now, OS6 has been great for memory management. I haven't changed anything today, either. Did you figure out what your issue was?
    11-12-10 08:37 PM
    I have no idea how it happened, but my memory usage has inexplicably skyrocketed this afternoon. I've added no apps, I've left nothing running. I have received several emails and BBM with photos, but I have deleted them and cleared the memory cache. All have made no difference.

It seems that the memory usage by the OS has jumped to around 195MB. Is there something going on at RIM that has the OS burning?
    On seeing your note I checked MB and found that my memory has gone down 1.2mb. I did install Battery EX and that could have caused the drop, I'll be watching it very closely. I'll probably do a bat pull Sunday just for grins but I want to see what happens with Battery Ex in place over night. I'd do it in the morning but I have a couple of meetings tomorrow morning and I have to play golf tomorrow afternoon and I have another meeting tomorrow night. Ah, the life of a retiree!

Gosh, I hope not!
    11-12-10 08:46 PM
    Right out of the blue today. Just after I started advising you about YOUR memory drain. Until now, OS6 has been great for memory management. I haven't changed anything today, either. Did you figure out what your issue was?
    No, never figured it out. The leak was just as aggressive without BatteryEx as with it...
    I don't know what else to do but uninstall all my apps and put them back one at a time. Maybe that will be tomorrow's duty.
    11-12-10 08:54 PM
    On seeing your note I checked MB and found that my memory has gone down 1.2mb. I did install Battery EX and that could have caused the drop, I'll be watching it very closely. I'll probably do a bat pull Sunday just for grins but I want to see what happens with Battery Ex in place over night. I'd do it in the morning but I have a couple of meetings tomorrow morning and I have to play golf tomorrow afternoon and I have another meeting tomorrow night. Ah, the life of a retiree!

Gosh, I hope not!
    My memory has dropped 16MB since I rebooted this morning. I've looked further, and found that memory usage by the browser has jumped from roughly 50-55MB to 68MB.

Have any of you looked at your browser usage in the APPLICATION PROPERTIES? Does it look out of the ordinary to you?
    11-12-10 08:59 PM
    My memory has dropped 16MB since I rebooted this morning. I've looked further, and found that memory usage by the browser has jumped from roughly 50-55MB to 68MB.

Have any of you looked at your browser usage in the APPLICATION PROPERTIES? Does it look out of the ordinary to you?
    Just checked on mine and it was using 51MB.

I wonder if the site you visit has anything to do with usage.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 11-12-10 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Clarify comment
    11-12-10 09:26 PM
    No, never figured it out. The leak was just as aggressive without BatteryEx as with it...
    I don't know what else to do but uninstall all my apps and put them back one at a time. Maybe that will be tomorrow's duty.
    It would seem that there ought to be a way to figure out the source of a mem leak without having to delete your apps and readd them one at a time and wait for some period of time to see if that one is the culprit.

That is a pain in that upon which one sits.
    11-12-10 09:30 PM
    Just checked on mine and it was using 51MB.

I wonder if the site you visit has anything to do with usage.
    I'm sure that it does. I have not gone anywhere new today. This is strange. I'm rebooting right now to see if clearing the app memory and the cache makes a difference.
    11-12-10 09:30 PM
    I'm sure that it does. I have not gone anywhere new today. This is strange. I'm rebooting right now to see if clearing the app memory and the cache makes a difference.
    I think that you are following the righ proceedure. Who knows what may have gotten hosed that a re-boot might fix. If that doesn't fix the problem and you made no changes to your Baby Bold then that is really strange and I suspect that we all need to be watching our memory for a while to see if this is a persistent bug that randomly crops up.
    11-12-10 09:33 PM
    I think that you are following the righ proceedure. Who knows what may have gotten hosed that a re-boot might fix. If that doesn't fix the problem and you made no changes to your Baby Bold then that is really strange and I suspect that we all need to be watching our memory for a while to see if this is a persistent bug that randomly crops up.
    On bootup, my OS memory usage is 177.5MB, down from 196MB. My browser memory usage is 24.2MB, down from 70MB. The normal browser memory usage since I loaded .333 is 50.7MB. I'm going to let this sit with the APPLICATION MANAGEMENT screen up for a while to watch the usage at idle.
    11-12-10 09:43 PM
    On bootup, my OS memory usage is 177.5MB, down from 196MB. My browser memory usage is 24.2MB, down from 70MB. The normal browser memory usage since I loaded .333 is 50.7MB. I'm going to let this sit with the APPLICATION MANAGEMENT screen up for a while to watch the usage at idle.
    I've never really paid any attention to this before as I don't have any issue. I'll start noticing it and see what/if anything changes.
    browser now=64.8mb
    max today= 84.3 (not sure what this means)
    When I look at storage memory, thats a program(ram), memory combo with actual device storage memory, right? Thats is and always is about 272mb
    Very strange underway, that you has such a sudden change.
    More:
    application:206.9mb
    other:33.4mb
    free:271.7mb
    My problem is I don't know what I'm looking at or it's significance. Oh well, good luck to you all.
    Last edited by cbreze; 11-12-10 at 10:12 PM.
    11-12-10 10:05 PM
    I've never really paid any attention to this before as I don't have any issue. I'll start noticing it and see what/if anything changes.
    browser now=64.8mb
    max today= 84.3 (not sure what this means)
    When I look at storage memory, thats a program(ram), memory combo with actual device storage memory, right? Thats is and always is about 272mb
    Very strange underway, that you has such a sudden change.
    More:
    application:206.9mb
    other:33.4mb
    free:271.7mb
    My problem is I don't know what I'm looking at or it's significance. Oh well, good luck to you all.
    It looks like memory is not being freed when it's no longer needed. I'll keep an eye on this tonight, and if it continues into tomorrow, I'll wipe and reload. Oh well. I can do that while watching the football games. Maybe we'll have the new leak that JayDee was talking about earlier today?
    11-12-10 10:18 PM
    Hey, I'm a retiree too (sort of). Just not permanently yet, I hope. I can't get a meeting to save my life. You're retired, have meetings, AND get to play golf. What am I doing wrong?
    11-12-10 10:21 PM
23,186 ... 309310311312313 ...