One more quick question - will this wipe all of my text messages, emails and call logs out completely? I may have to go through them all and see if I need to save some, etc if that is the case...
    Yes, however all that data will be restored!

Re: bbsak. I'd like to try it again and wish there was a step by step guide for us noobs.
    I contacted Adam about putting this together, and I was told once I get it done they will publish it on CB. I'll get cracking!
    08-02-10 01:22 PM
    Well...backed up everything and started the wipe and it is taking forever! Probably been 45 minutes at least and it is still on the "Erasing Information..." screen that says "Warning do not pull the battery out until erasing is complete."

Might have to activate the old Boulder for tonight to get me by if it doesn't come out of it sometime soon!
    08-02-10 05:57 PM
    Well, this afternoon I "downgraded" from the hybrid based on .732 to a non-hybrid .810 (Altel). I started it a few times and it kept wanting to downgrade. I searched for the vendor file and did not find it - possibly because Shrink-OS removes it??? Anyway I was reluctant but finally went for it. I hate that on reboot it flies through the slider bar but than stalls when the slider if fully done. Reboot took about 9 minutes which is still better than .732

Entering Activation codes is TEDIOUS. Or I have too many apps! I do wish there were a more graceful way of handling 3rd party apps. Seriously, must have had to find and enter 15 codes as well as grant permissions to who knows how many.

Will watch for battery life tomorrow after charging tonight.
    08-02-10 06:53 PM
    Well, this afternoon I "downgraded" from the hybrid based on .732 to a non-hybrid .810 (Altel). I started it a few times and it kept wanting to downgrade. I searched for the vendor file and did not find it - possibly because Shrink-OS removes it??? Anyway I was reluctant but finally went for it. I hate that on reboot it flies through the slider bar but than stalls when the slider if fully done. Reboot took about 9 minutes which is still better than .732

Entering Activation codes is TEDIOUS. Or I have too many apps! I do wish there were a more graceful way of handling 3rd party apps. Seriously, must have had to find and enter 15 codes as well as grant permissions to who knows how many.

Will watch for battery life tomorrow after charging tonight.
    LOL, you may well have tooooo many apps.

I do agree with the tediousness of re-entering activation codes. As long as the app is restored to the same device then it shouldn't need to be re-activated. There must be a way that it can be done. I don't have a problem with securing new activation codes if I change devices, that makes total sense.

How do we get RIM to recognize this problem and give us some love on it?
    08-02-10 07:04 PM
    LOL, you may well have tooooo many apps.

I do agree with the tediousness of re-entering activation codes. As long as the app is restored to the same device then it shouldn't need to be re-activated. There must be a way that it can be done. I don't have a problem with securing new activation codes if I change devices, that makes total sense.

How do we get RIM to recognize this problem and give us some love on it?
    I'm not sure that we can. I hinted at it the other day. I still don't think rim is all that mindful of 3rd party apps (which is what makes iphone and droid so popular). In my opinion they do not put much emphasis on 3rd apps or data. Fortunately, some apps allow you to backup and I did notice Filescout seems to restore my activation code. So there must be some in's and out's that can be better utilized by 3rd party programmers. I have one or two apps that have 16 character codes with mixed letters and numbers and hyphens - real fun restoring those and not making a mistake with Alt characters.
    08-02-10 08:53 PM
    I'm not sure that we can. I hinted at it the other day. I still don't think rim is all that mindful of 3rd party apps (which is what makes iphone and droid so popular). In my opinion they do not put much emphasis on 3rd apps or data. Fortunately, some apps allow you to backup and I did notice Filescout seems to restore my activation code. So there must be some in's and out's that can be better utilized by 3rd party programmers. I have one or two apps that have 16 character codes with mixed letters and numbers and hyphens - real fun restoring those and not making a mistake with Alt characters.
    +1 Too bad we don't have a conduit into which we can pump this type of suggestion so that RIM knows what their users would like to see them include in future releases.
    08-02-10 09:36 PM
    WooHoo Essex threaders! Just had a little scare this am!
    I have a case-mate gelli case on my Baby Bold and good thing I do because the inevitable happened...yes! I dropped it dang thing 5 feet and it bounced three times! On a tile floor no less!

But the good news is nary a scratch and the thing works fine!

Whew!!!!

OK, I am pumping down the black tea as fast as I can to ease the pain...
    PC is standing by to call an ambulance for me should I need one...
    I am surprisingly calm considering this is my BOLD we're talking about!

So can I vouch for the the case-mate case?

OH YES I CAN!!!!!!!!
    Have a good day.
    Oh and I am going to upgrade to .810. What the ****? How much damage can I do to the dang thing? I mean I already threw it 5 feet, right?
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!
    08-03-10 07:22 AM
    WooHoo Essex threaders! Just had a little scare this am!
    I have a case-mate gelli case on my Baby Bold and good thing I do because the inevitable happened...yes! I dropped it dang thing 5 feet and it bounced three times! On a tile floor no less!

But the good news is nary a scratch and the thing works fine!

Whew!!!!

OK, I am pumping down the black tea as fast as I can to ease the pain...
    PC is standing by to call an ambulance for me should I need one...
    I am surprisingly calm considering this is my BOLD we're talking about!

So can I vouch for the the case-mate case?

OH YES I CAN!!!!!!!!
    Have a good day.
    Oh and I am going to upgrade to .810. What the ****? How much damage can I do to the dang thing? I mean I already threw it 5 feet, right?
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!
    My OCD would be in high-gear if I dropped my Bold! I dropped my S2 about 5 minutes out of the box on a carpeted floor from about 18 inches and I was a mess.

Let me know when you're ready for 810, I'll upgrade too!
    08-03-10 07:25 AM
    jaydee, I'm glad you and your baby Bold are ok. Wow, I know the feeling, I once dropped my Curve at work about 5 feet onto one of the plastic chair mats and my BB bounced 5 or 6 times and ended up on the screen. Thank god there wasn't a scratch. My OCD kicked in big time.
    08-03-10 08:01 AM
    CONFUSION!! I have been reading and trying to understand this wipe/reload of the .81 from .732 but I checked the Verizon website and they are talking 5.0 as the latest?? Are we talking OS or something else and if so is the .81 available for Verizon phones?? How do I find this info and I am just a hair nervous of "wiping" my phone. Thanks everyone.
    08-03-10 09:04 AM
    810 is an AllTel release. You can install it on any 9650. There's nothing to be nervous about. 732 is the latest release from Verizon, Sprint is still on 699 I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).
    08-03-10 09:12 AM
    But was it it exactly and what are the benefits? Sorry to be so lost on this I am a new guy!
    08-03-10 09:14 AM
    But was it it exactly and what are the benefits? Sorry to be so lost on this I am a new guy!
    OS 5.0.0.810 is just an update from 5.0.0.732, I don't know specifically what changes were made, but if history has taught me anything, RIM fixed some flaws in 732, and created some new ones in 810.

That said, if you're device is working well for you, and you're worried about hosing your Bold, which you really can't, don't worry about the update.

If you want a good resource for doing this type of update, check out Civic's post here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...pdates-420811/

edit: Don't apologize for asking....all of us were the newbie on here at one point, and asking questions is how we learn I'm glad to help you!
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-03-10 at 09:23 AM.
    08-03-10 09:20 AM
    Well I certainly appreciate everyones great advice! I actually am enjoying looking at all the posts on this site and am impressed at how people treat others here.
    08-03-10 09:30 AM
    SoCal, we're one big happy family here!!!
    And I stress the HAPPY part!!!
    I'd go nutz if I didn't have you guys to talk to everyday!

And guess what? I think today's the day!!!!
    Yes, I think today's the day I'm actually gonna upgrade my baby Bold (with Paul's help, of course!)

YAY!
    If you run into any trouble SoCal, please post! Paul will help you, too!
    He doesn't mind if I volunteer him... at least I hope he doesn't!
    08-03-10 10:02 AM
    Me too! Now what is "BBSAK"??
    08-03-10 10:10 AM
    Paul will help you, too!
    He doesn't mind if I volunteer him... at least I hope he doesn't!
    Ha ha, jaydee. I never mind sharing what I know with my fellow members!

Socal, if you do decide to give an update a whirl, use the Desktop Manager method. BBSAK method isn't complicated, but if you're afraid of seeing your device boot up to a white screen that says "Error 507 No Software Loaded" or something to that effect, DM will make it less stressful.

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife is a PC program that allows you to manipulate your device. It has a wipe OS function, and a Load OS function for doing reinstalls and the like.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-swi...n-1-7-released
    RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0 (download here)
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-03-10 at 10:17 AM.
    08-03-10 10:14 AM
    I am now running .810 on my Baby Bold! Thanks for all the help and tips guys and gals! So far I haven't been able to do much with it. I'll be able to give a lot better report at the end of the night tonight after a full day's use on .810. I got my device wiped just as I was getting ready to head to an appointment with a client and then reloaded the OS on the 45 minute drive there.

As far as the activation codes go, I have been just saving them in a .txt file in notepad so I can have a list of them in one place and when I need them, open the file and copy and paste them.
    08-03-10 10:16 AM
    I am now running .810 on my Baby Bold! Thanks for all the help and tips guys and gals! So far I haven't been able to do much with it. I'll be able to give a lot better report at the end of the night tonight after a full day's use on .810. I got my device wiped just as I was getting ready to head to an appointment with a client and then reloaded the OS on the 45 minute drive there.

As far as the activation codes go, I have been just saving them in a .txt file in notepad so I can have a list of them in one place and when I need them, open the file and copy and paste them.
    I save my activation codes in a memopad memo and select and paste right from my device.

I may use the DM method to go to 810 since I don't want to have to reinstall my apps individually from mobihand......again!
    08-03-10 10:20 AM
    I save my activation codes in a memopad memo and select and paste right from my device.

I may use the DM method to go to 810 since I don't want to have to reinstall my apps individually from mobihand......again!
    OOOOHHHHHHHH, you guys are soooo smart!!!!
    I'm gonna copy you and do the same thing!!!!
    Yay!
    I have all my little key codes in a memo now and I can select and copy them and paste into my device to activate everything tonight after I reload!

And everybody watch out WHEN JAYDEE RELOADS....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    08-03-10 10:29 AM
    I think my four legged son (terrier) hid my laptop battery so I can't go to work!! I wanted to have my laptop in the office with me so I could follow along with your directions while using my regular computer for the OS!! Darn dog!!
    08-03-10 10:50 AM
    Okay first thing first. I went to sync the BB and was getting all kinds of calendar info, thats when I found out my wife is also using the outllok on the home computer so I have been sycning her stuff to my BB!! UGH! I have now just uninstalled the desktop manager from the home computer and will only sync with my laptop. I can't find the settings to "uncheck" so should I uninstall the desktop manager on laptop and reinstall? Sorry I'm a re-****
    08-03-10 11:39 AM
    Okay first thing first. I went to sync the BB and was getting all kinds of calendar info, thats when I found out my wife is also using the outllok on the home computer so I have been sycning her stuff to my BB!! UGH! I have now just uninstalled the desktop manager from the home computer and will only sync with my laptop. I can't find the settings to "uncheck" so should I uninstall the desktop manager on laptop and reinstall? Sorry I'm a re-****
    Ok, now we are venturing off into an area I'm unfamiliar with. I sync with Google, not Outlook. Isn't that stuff in the reconcile menu? I have DM6 I'm at a double disadvantage
    08-03-10 11:46 AM
    Talking about cases do you also have a clip or holder for your BBB? I just ordered and if I want something to protect it when it's in my hand but if I don't have a case I will be quick to get up from my desk for extended periods of time and my kids school or hubby will have called and it's during "these" times that it's an emergency that I'm MIA for a long period of time. Any suggestions? I'm a newbie
    08-03-10 11:58 AM
    I didnt know I could sync with Google, I hear its much better than Outlook. do share!
    08-03-10 12:15 PM
23,186 ... 265266267268269 ...