Always hot when downloading massive amounts of data.
    WTF are you doing to your phone F2??? you'll make the bubble wrap melt!
    Well, home now and when I pulled it out of my fanny pack it was quite warm and I guess I DEPLETED the battery. I will now have to check it the Mireo download worked or if it might have been corrupted.
    09-13-13 02:38 PM
    Well, home now and when I pulled it out of my fanny pack it was quite warm and I guess I DEPLETED the battery. I will now have to check it the Mireo download worked or if it might have been corrupted.
    I guess it gracefully shut down! I'm now charging and downloading more - the dl is 2.4 gb. I just turned off wifi and the dl is going much faster! I may hear from Verizon about my data and new phone!

There should be a way to dl the map file on the computer and copy/move it to the phone.

Not bad. I like the maps. I'm not sure about the interface. But it quickly found the route to where I purchased the Z10 - about 40 miles north of Seattle. Worth $25???? Well, it might be nice to always have a US/Canada map OFFLINE.

But $40 for Western Europe - pricy. I will have to definitely plan a trip to help justify that price!

Oh, I should turn wifi back on.
    Last edited by F2; 09-13-13 at 03:12 PM.
    09-13-13 02:52 PM
    F2, you are like a new father!! I swear!! you are so funny!!!
    I am happy you are getting the hang of things!
    Now I said i didn't know much about Dont Panic (but it IS named, I believe, after my favorite author Douglas Adams first book...the Hitchhike's Guide to the Galaxy. The guide has a cover that says DON'T PANIC on the front. I believe that is where the name came from....) Regardless of that, where is the download going? to your internal memory? or can you move to your card?
    09-13-13 04:54 PM
    Underway, or anyone who might have an idea...is there a way to save voicemails from VZW (you know, that i call my vm to play) so that I can keep them as a sound file on my phone???
    09-13-13 05:03 PM
    F2, you are like a new father!! I swear!! you are so funny!!!
    I am happy you are getting the hang of things!
    Now I said i didn't know much about Dont Panic (but it IS named, I believe, after my favorite author Douglas Adams first book...the Hitchhike's Guide to the Galaxy. The guide has a cover that says DON'T PANIC on the front. I believe that is where the name came from....) Regardless of that, where is the download going? to your internal memory? or can you move to your card?
    When you start to download, it provides a choice and shows the memory available. At the time I did not have sd-card memory available and was trying to free up space but must have tapped something, so I believe it is in internal memory. But using Win Explorer I see a "DontPanic" folder but it is empty. There's another such folder on the SDCard under Documents but it is also empty. I will have to look around using Ghost Commander or such.

(this father still seethes over the missing Bridge features and the absence of BIS. On the 9930, I only got email from certain friends/family using the BIS filters but there is no choice on the Z10. If you create an account - you get it all!!!)
    09-13-13 05:34 PM
    Underway, or anyone who might have an idea...is there a way to save voicemails from VZW (you know, that i call my vm to play) so that I can keep them as a sound file on my phone???
    Can you record while using the "speaker phone"? Oh, I don't see a voice recorder??? No recorder? Oh, Remember has a recorder (I am multitasking and making arrangements for a weekend at Lake Quinalt Lodge).

....Nope - it won't record while the Voice Mail aspect is running.
    Last edited by F2; 09-13-13 at 05:54 PM.
    09-13-13 05:34 PM
    Can you record while using the "speaker phone"? Oh, I don't see a voice recorder??? No recorder?
    no voice recorder.
    BBM has voice and video instead.

WIll play the voice mail to my PC and the sound recorder. Its a MAC masquerading as a PC so the sound quality is MacbookPro style....good!
    09-13-13 05:43 PM
    no voice recorder.
    BBM has voice and video instead.

WIll play the voice mail to my PC and the sound recorder. Its a MAC masquerading as a PC so the sound quality is MacbookPro style....good!
    Actually, the REMEMBER app has voice notes, too.
    09-13-13 06:10 PM
    (this father still seethes over the missing Bridge features and the absence of BIS. On the 9930, I only got email from certain friends/family using the BIS filters but there is no choice on the Z10. If you create an account - you get it all!!!)
    Right. No filters unless your mail provider has them.
    09-13-13 06:17 PM
    Right. No filters unless your mail provider has them.
    Maybe you can tell me more? Does Gmail have filters? If so, how to employ so that the z10 gets only some but the rest stay on the server.
    09-13-13 08:16 PM
    The new Gmail has various priority inboxes and such, but I've not used them yet. I don't know about others (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc).
    09-13-13 08:31 PM
    The phone will likely be intermittantly warm and cool for a day or two while it does all its indexing and such. If it's still doing it tomorrow, pull the battery (yes, the BP lives!) for about 30 minutes.
    Good old battery pull. 30 minutes huh.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 12:48 AM
    Good old battery pull. 30 minutes huh.

Posted via CB10
    Ive never pulled the battery for 30 minutes! WHat????
    09-14-13 07:15 AM
    That explains a LOT of your issues. The guns and tonics, the rest! (please forgive me - or not!)
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:38 AM
    Oh, I want the darn phone to AUTOMATICALLY turn off/on like ALL of my other BB phones as well as the FULL BRIDGE!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:41 AM
    Before seeing who I offended....

Question on actually making a phone call..... Do I have to actually open my Contacts (or the phone for recent calls) and find THE PERSON or is there a way to "type" in their name like the OLD DAYS?
    09-14-13 09:41 AM
    Not for every day, like the BBOS days. I've done just it once. It's one of the typical recommendations over in the leaked OS threads. It kills the out of control apps. Look at SETTINGS/APP MANAGER/DEVICE MONITOR. The top of the list is likely SYSTEM. It might fluctuate between 2 and 30% CPU usage. When it runs and runs and runs without dropping, it kills battery fast and makes the phone really hot. The BP often resets that.

Look at my CPU usage for SYSTEM at idle. It only shows from midnight, but the CPU usage was about 47% for at least 7 hours. My phone was running about 90-95 degrees while the CPU was running on and on. After the BP, my CPU usage dropped to its usual idling range of 2-5%. Yes, BP lives.

Essex Post-Release Ramblings-img_00000059.jpg
    Last edited by underway99; 09-14-13 at 10:52 AM.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-14-13 10:39 AM
    Oh, I want the darn phone to AUTOMATICALLY turn off/on like ALL of my other BB phones as well as the FULL BRIDGE!
    Nope. No automatic on and off on this one. Bedside Mode doesn't automatically start when you plug in to power either, and setting notifications for individual contacts is a PITA. I learned quickly that this isn't like any of our other BlackBerry phones.

Before seeing who I offended....

Question on actually making a phone call..... Do I have to actually open my Contacts (or the phone for recent calls) and find THE PERSON or is there a way to "type" in their name like the OLD DAYS?
    No, you don't have to fish through the contact list. You can type their name. From the PHONE app, do the two-fingered swipe up to raise the keyboard. Type the name of the person you want to call.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-14-13 10:49 AM
    A BB Protect question: Is there a way to force it to backup? I just did some Contact editing and I'd like to "protect" those changes by backing up NOW. I only see it in the Settings Menu and don't see any option NOW or Manual or....

Have I driven some of you to drink "guns and tonic?"
    09-14-13 11:06 AM
    Another:

I've use Ascendo DataVault for quite a long time on my other BB's. It has been quite handy as I can sync to a desktop version, too. That way I have access to my various accounts and password and logins, etc on the phone or when at the computer. I see it is a pricy $10 for the z10.

What, if anything do you folks, those with less than stellar memories, use? Maybe I should say, those who can REMEMBER, what do you use?
    09-14-13 11:12 AM
    Another:

I've use Ascendo DataVault for quite a long time on my other BB's. It has been quite handy as I can sync to a desktop version, too. That way I have access to my various accounts and password and logins, etc on the phone or when at the computer. I see it is a pricy $10 for the z10.

What, if anything do you folks, those with less than stellar memories, use? Maybe I should say, those who can REMEMBER, what do you use?
    I've been using SECRET! for a long time. The dev has no plan to port it to BB10, but sideloading the Android version has allowed me to keep using what I already know.

I've read good things about Password Keeper, but I've not tried it yet. Mainly because I don't want to be forced into using Link to get to my passwords on the desktop. I don't know if Password Keeper will sync remotely. There are apps that sync via Dropbox, but I've not tried any of them yet. I can't find anything that doesn't look like something from S4BB or Jared Company. I'm not putting any of that crap on my device.
    09-14-13 11:18 AM
    Yeah, I don't like the spam associated with those two companies. I'm still not sure that I want my info floating around any clouds. In Seattle, everyone has regular access to CLOUDS! (g)

Does that SECRET have a Desktop (windows) version?
    09-14-13 11:49 AM
    Yes. It uses the desktop version it had for BBOS, Palm, iOS, and Android.

I had bought the Android version before I got my Z. The dev wouldn't give a break on price for using the Palm and BBOS versions. I've sideloaded it to my Z and it works pretty well.

If you plan to use Android apps, you'll want to load an Android keyboard. The BB keyboard will mostly work, but my sideloaded apps work better with their own KB. I use SwiftKey.
    Last edited by underway99; 09-14-13 at 12:35 PM.
    09-14-13 12:16 PM
    F2 there is no BB Protect. It doesn't back anything up and doesnt save anything but contacts. and send a tone to your phone if lost. I think its pretty much useless.
    09-14-13 01:29 PM
    Yes. It uses the desktop version it had for BBOS, Palm, iOS, and Android.

I had bought the Android version before I got my Z. The dev wouldn't give a break on price for using the Palm and BBOS versions. I've sideloaded it to my Z and it works pretty well.

If you plan to use Android apps, you'll want to load an Android keyboard. The BB keyboard will mostly work, but my sideloaded apps work better with their own KB. I use SwiftKey.
    if I sideload swiftkey does that effect my regular kb when I don't use android apps????
    09-14-13 01:30 PM
23,186 ... 832833834835836 ...