So...THIS is where all the cool kids hang out.

I read through the last 3 pages of posts (sorry, haven't plowed through the other 450. Yet.) and wanted to drop in with a few random thoughts.

In my experience (purely OS6 GSM device) installing BlackBerry Travel causes my boot time to jump from just over one minute (pre-install) to just under five minutes (post-install).

And uninstalling that app does NOT remedy the boot time lag. I haven't figured it out just yet and, again, it may just be an OS6 quirk.

By the by, Travel is the new name for WorldMate - after it was acquired by RIM. I also used WorldMate back when I used Palm devices, and even on BlackBerry devices up until the acquisition. If I'm not mistaken, there is a version of WorldMate still available (but I'm getting old and my memory isn't all too keen at times) but Travel is the way to go.

As for Theme Builder 7....well, I recently posted in the Theme Dev forum that Theme Studio is an unholy abomination which I avoid at all costs. A new builder engine (that addresses all the, ahem, typical bugs) would be helpful. I have dabbled in developing themes for OS7 but, as I have also said elsewhere, I don't have an OS7 device so I have approximately zero motivation to do so.

As for retro-fitting earlier OS files into an OS7 hybrid, that is possible. However, the number of files that can be replaced is quite limited. And much of the speed you see in OS5 is by virtue of the fact that the platform files were rarely (if ever) over 20 MB. OS6 platforms ranged in the mid-30s, and OS7 platforms weigh in at over 60 MB. So, even with speedy processors, etc, the platforms are still a lot heavier and entail a lot more...uh...stuff.

I am not opposed to tinkering with OS7 hybrids, except....(see random lamentations earlier about lack of an OS7 device).

Glad I finally crawled out from under the GSM rock and popped into this thread. I see many familiar faces...
    07-02-12 03:57 AM
    Morning Ramblers! And welcome to our newest Rambler...wu-wei! What took you so long to discover this little slice of Rehab Heaven, huh?

If you ever need a pick-me-up, read the rest of the thread! We have had some great times in this thread...of course the thread police remanded us to Rehab because we WERE having so much fun!

Guys, I have been running 355 for a few days now. Unfortunately, the hourglass has returned! I will be typing and the timer comes up and I keep typing and of course, have to go back and re-type. It didn't happen when I first had 340, but did it in 355 right off the bat. This leads me to believe that its some app causing the lag. Some updating app? Or maybe the memory cleaner? I dunno. When I upgraded, I had another meltdown (like always) and lost all my apps, so I installed the OS and then added my apps individually. Maybe I should re-install 355...can I do that with app loader like usual? Shrink and then re-install? I forgot to tell you that I got a fatal error using apploader and my phone wouldn't boot...but then it was recognized by apploader so I just installed the 355. (and restored all my data and apps-read: PIA)

What do you guys think I should do to stop the hourglassing? There is a 523 hybrid that installs over 402. A friend in the OSBB thread said I should try that...what do you think???

Oh and wu-wei...if you need anyone to test a theme for OS7, I'd be happy to!
    I already work with a few theme developers and would be glad to test if you needed help. We NEED your minimalist themes for OS7!!!!! And I know Hamster desperately needs themes for her 9810!

Hamster-what's your new name gonna be? Hamster hit Genius of Geniuses!!!!
    Yay!!!!
    07-02-12 06:44 AM
    How are the Ramblers doing this morning ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    07-02-12 07:02 AM
    Wow. Look at all this activity. It's like someone blew the dust off our little slice of Heaven!

I don't know what to tell you about the hourglass with 355, JayDee. That OS has been running very well for me. You might be right in that a reload might take care of things for you.

I've seen the 523 hybrid for 9900, but not for our 9930. If there IS one for 9930, it might be worth a try if the guys are able to dump that IT policy.
    Last edited by Underway99; 07-02-12 at 08:45 AM.
    07-02-12 08:08 AM
    I'm not sure about dumping the IT policy but here is the link to that hybrid I was talking about: http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...hybrid-732413/

I'm not clear on the IT policy and what it actually DOES. Does it keep me from deleting stuff? You know how I like the shrink the bejesus out of the OS.....
    07-02-12 09:24 AM
    Morning Ramblers! And welcome to our newest Rambler...wu-wei! What took you so long to discover this little slice of Rehab Heaven, huh?

Oh and wu-wei...if you need anyone to test a theme for OS7, I'd be happy to!
    I already work with a few theme developers and would be glad to test if you needed help. We NEED your minimalist themes for OS7!!!!! And I know Hamster desperately needs themes for her 9810!
    Wow. Look at all this activity. It's like someone blew the dust off our little slice of Heaven!

I don't know what to tell you about the hourglass with 355, JayDee. That OS has been running very well for me. You might be right in that a reload might take care of things for you.

I've seen the 523 hybrid for 9900, but not for our 9930. If there IS one for 9930, it might be worth a try if the guys are able to dump that IT policy.
    I'm not sure about dumping the IT policy but here is the link to that hybrid I was talking about: http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...hybrid-732413/

I'm not clear on the IT policy and what it actually DOES. Does it keep me from deleting stuff? You know how I like the shrink the bejesus out of the OS.....
    I had a habit of sticking to my usual haunts: 9700 forum, theme devs, themes, hybrids. I realized just last night that the crackberry forums page KEPT SCROLLING after those places.

My theme dev activity tends to wax and wane...when hybrids are slow, I pop into coding mode and tinker a bit.

As for the IT policy, my limited understanding of the topic is that it is somehow related to Parental Controls. I freely admit that I am not an expert on that issue, but I am someone who doesn't like IT policies appearing where once there were none. Kinda makes me uneasy. Either way, I believe I read that the IT policy is coded into the platform itself and cannot be removed. That said, it should have no impact on anyone's ability to shrink their OS, bejesus or otherwise.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-02-12 02:03 PM
    Haha!!! So you found us by accident!
    We like it here. No one bothers us, for the most part....

So the IT policy doesn't really affect me as far as you can tell. That's what I keep seeing on the threads. So maybe I will reload the 355 and see if the hourglassing stops. Or maybe I will try the hybrid. Either way, I can use apploader, correct? and have it save all my data and apps and put them back? That will save me hours...HOURS over my last install....
    07-02-12 02:08 PM
    Haha!!! So you found us by accident!
    We like it here. No one bothers us, for the most part....

So the IT policy doesn't really affect me as far as you can tell. That's what I keep seeing on the threads. So maybe I will reload the 355 and see if the hourglassing stops. Or maybe I will try the hybrid. Either way, I can use apploader, correct? and have it save all my data and apps and put them back? That will save me hours...HOURS over my last install....
    Yes, it was a bit accidental.

You're kind of testing my recollection here, as I very rarely do a pure "re-install" of any OSes.

I believe that if you want to reload the current OS you're running, you'll have to do a device wipe. I also believe that you can do that without removing all of the third party apps.

If you're going to give the hybrid a shot, you can certainly use loader. Personally, I always always always use loader and I have never had any problems (except a couple that were self-inflicted because I didn't pay attention to certain details).

My OS install process goes like this: backup all device data with Desktop Manager, run loader and let it take a backup too (this process has always restored my apps and (most) data), reboot and confirm that certain databases were restored - if they weren't, I restore them using DM. In my experience, the MMS database and options do NOT get restored about 90% of the time...but only when the MMS database is larger than a few messages.
    07-02-12 02:17 PM
    Yes, it was a bit accidental.

You're kind of testing my recollection here, as I very rarely do a pure "re-install" of any OSes.

I believe that if you want to reload the current OS you're running, you'll have to do a device wipe. I also believe that you can do that without removing all of the third party apps.

If you're going to give the hybrid a shot, you can certainly use loader. Personally, I always always always use loader and I have never had any problems (except a couple that were self-inflicted because I didn't pay attention to certain details).

My OS install process goes like this: backup all device data with Desktop Manager, run loader and let it take a backup too (this process has always restored my apps and (most) data), reboot and confirm that certain databases were restored - if they weren't, I restore them using DM. In my experience, the MMS database and options do NOT get restored about 90% of the time...but only when the MMS database is larger than a few messages.
    That there that I bolded could be the story of my life!
    I did my last upgrade on a mac that dual boots to windows and I misread a dialogue box...and well, there went all my crap! So I had a crashed bb and all my apps were lost. All self-inflicted, as you say! HAHAHAHAHAHA Sure I'm laughing now. When it happened I was green.
    07-02-12 02:21 PM
    Yep. If you do a lot of OS installs (guilty!) it can be quite easy to miss something, or take it as routine...with some disastrous effects.

My personal worst experience happened when I actually made a conscious decision to completely wipe my device - which I have done only a handful of times. I had a simulator running in the background and had forgotten that I had also simulated a USB connection. So, I took a backup with DM as I described, completely wiped my device (ignoring the prompt telling me to confirm I had a good backup) and restored my data. It was a few minutes after rebooting that I realized the backup I had just taken was from an empty simulator and not from my actual device. Thankfully I had a relatively recent backup, but I still lost some data. And did a major face-palm at my carelessness.
    07-02-12 02:44 PM
    OMG.
    That sounds like something I did with my phone too! Careless is right. Just terrible results.

I was going through my picture folders and copied over the contents of a folder which deleted everything I had collected for three years! I had a pretty recent back up on my server so not all was lost.
    07-02-12 02:47 PM

Thanks for the link. I grabbed and loaded the hybrid last night. It looks like the IT policy IS still part of the hybrid -- I'd bet that it's part of the code in the platform (radio) file. The policy still looks to be part of the Parental Controls, which defaults to NOT ENABLED. I can delete whatever I want to delete and shrink what I want to shrink.

This hybrid also has the BlackBerry Application Resource Monitor (RM). In fact, RM just shut down ScoreMobile because it was "draining BlackBerry resources". You can tell RM to ignore a particular app though, so it might be useful. Hmmm. I wonder how fast it would shut down Facebook, LinkedIn, or SocialScope.

It might be especially useful for you, JayDee, what with all the resource issues that seem to follow you from handset to handset. Perhaps this will finally expose what's eating your BlackBerry's memory.
    Last edited by Underway99; 07-04-12 at 05:21 AM.
    07-04-12 12:26 AM
    Wow!!! OK Underway, after today, I have a quiet day tomorrow lanned so I will load this! And guess what? I use ScroeMobile. I mean I have it loaded. So maybe even tho I only check a score every couple of weeks, RIM shut it down??? Because it is draining memory??? OK it sounds definitely like I need to run it!!

Do you need 402 first on your phone? Or 402 on your laptop and then install the OSBB hybrid over it? Shrink and then install like usual.
    07-04-12 06:36 AM
    You need to have 402 loaded on your PC. The hybrid is really a Java swap. Load 402, then delete the Java folder and replace it with the hybrid Java. Then shrink and install to your phone. BTW, use Apploader to install this one. I tried using DM because the last few OS installs went really well with DM. Not this one. My 9930 was nuked in no time. I recovered with Apploader.

It would be good if the resource monitor would give a report of the offenders and maybe even allow the users to set their own threshold. For now, RM just shuts down an app that it determines to be using too many background resources.
    Last edited by Underway99; 07-04-12 at 07:09 AM.
    07-04-12 07:00 AM
    Morning, Everyone!
    And Happy 4th!!!

Thanks, Jaydee...although I don't really feel like a G of G! lol. I do need a new title...don't like that one...hahaha

The hybrid I'm running also has that Resourse Monitor, and so far it has shut down Battery Ex ....So it seems for me, that's the one app that's the culprit for me.
    Hasn't yet shut down facebook or twitter or even BW...
    07-04-12 07:04 AM
    Underway, I agree..I was hoping for a report also similar to that of the device analyzer.. I think it would be more useful than just shutting it down...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-04-12 07:23 AM
    I wonder if that reporting is already there? Maybe RIM has some special Easter-egg kind of keyboard shortcut to display it?
    07-04-12 07:31 AM
    I wonder if that reporting is already there? Maybe RIM has some special Easter-egg kind of keyboard shortcut to display it?
    Bwahahahah! I bet it does, lol. You never know with Rim, these days
    07-04-12 07:49 AM
    OK downloaded the oses already. Will get them installed, shrunk and ready to go on my PC partition. Then hmmmm...Battery Ex yeah it has a start up module that I'm sure we can't turn off cause I see it with certain themes. But I still don't know if I'd LEAVE it off...
    07-04-12 07:59 AM
    Sent from my Razr Maxx !
    07-06-12 11:13 PM
    Hey Ramblers!!!
    I used BlackBerry Traffic again and it saved me sorry from being lost. AND it helped me save face with the husband who thought he knew the ONLY way to where we wanted to get this week. HAHAHAHA I love it when my phone proves him wrong. He has a Droid and it can't do anything like my Bold! GOOOOOOOOOO BB!!!!

Also, I ordered the mini keyboard for the playbook about two weeks ago and today; on Friday the 13th, I got notice that it shipped!!!!!!! Yahooooooo!
    I can't wait to try it out with the keyboard. I also need a stylus that I can maneuver around so I can take notes by hand. But I guess if I have the keyboard I can just type them....

Anyone with a PB care to comment on the stylus situation??
    07-13-12 07:11 PM
    Hey Ramblers!!!
    I used BlackBerry Traffic again and it saved me sorry from being lost. AND it helped me save face with the husband who thought he knew the ONLY way to where we wanted to get this week. HAHAHAHA I love it when my phone proves him wrong. He has a Droid and it can't do anything like my Bold! GOOOOOOOOOO BB!!!!

Also, I ordered the mini keyboard for the playbook about two weeks ago and today; on Friday the 13th, I got notice that it shipped!!!!!!! Yahooooooo!
    I can't wait to try it out with the keyboard. I also need a stylus that I can maneuver around so I can take notes by hand. But I guess if I have the keyboard I can just type them....

Anyone with a PB care to comment on the stylus situation??
    Way to go Jaydee!!!!!
    07-14-12 07:20 AM
    Hey Ramblers!!!
    That BB Traffic works really well. I just spent a week in Maryland and used it several times. It was better than the directions that I got from my local host and ran circles around what the guy with me had with his Droid-something.
    07-14-12 01:19 PM
    I'm telling you, that BB Traffic app is so good, I'd PAY for it if I had to. Very worthwhile for ANY occasion. Like last week my gf and I wanted Mexican and we started looking for nearby restaurants....

Well you get the picture! My husband was so shocked that my phone could do that, he said well that woman's voice gives me a headache!(The one who reads the directions) I said well here's another woman who will be sure to keep talking to give you a headache as well!!!!! LMAO
    07-14-12 02:01 PM
    He likes his DROID jaydee. The women talk sweeter on a DROID. Lol

Sent from my Razr Maxx !
    07-14-12 02:49 PM
23,186 ... 721722723724725 ...