Thanks for all the feedback on cases! Very impressed at the 18,000 post count and congrats to The Ramblin' Queen for being lucky #18,000! It's just too bad that TourBoy isn't here to celebrate all the wonderful milestones with us!
    RIP TourBoy wherever you have gone to! lol

I am just downgrading back to Verizon's 7.1.0.163 in order to use the Verizon PTT app again... I am crossing my fingers hoping that Verizon will be releasing an updated OS sometime soon.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-25-12 12:32 PM
    Yay to the Ramblers! Don't know what I would have done without all the advice, tips, help and support found here!

Here's to another 18000 posts
    05-25-12 01:05 PM
    Amen to that sister!

What would we do without all the great people we have met on this thread? And all the knowledge they have dropped on us?

F2 I did find the cable...at Amazon for 10 bucks including shipping. So now I can charge the external battery in its little box and charge my phone at the same time while on the road...all from a USB. Less to carry and fewer cables. Also charges my BT headset so wow. A lot for 10 smackeroos.
    05-25-12 02:25 PM
    I am just downgrading back to Verizon's 7.1.0.163 in order to use the Verizon PTT app again... I am crossing my fingers hoping that Verizon will be releasing an updated OS sometime soon.
    I downgraded to 163 a few weeks ago. 163 runs great on my phone.
    05-25-12 03:48 PM
    Alright Ramblers, now that I have my 9930 I am wondering which cases you guys are protecting your 9930's with? I ordered an OtterBox defender for it and the OtterBox impact they had on sale yesterday so I'll have a couple of options...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

I think the Defender is too bulky. I use the Commuter along with the Active Holster from Seidio. The Commuter fits into that holster even better than Seidio's own case.

05-25-12 03:49 PM
    I downgraded to 163 a few weeks ago. 163 runs great on my phone.

I've been thinking about downgrading from 402. While it runs really well, I'm seeing the OS7.1 memory leak getting larger. I had almost zero leakage on 267.

EDIT: It looks like the battery meter bug is back too.
    Last edited by Underway99; 05-26-12 at 12:26 PM.
    05-25-12 04:02 PM
    Well, looks like my cases just missed being delivered by the mailman so I'll have to wait until Tuesday for them to get here...

On a brighter note, between the Memorial Day Sale of 15% off and the already awesome price of $29.95 for a spare battery, you can pick one up for $31.41 with shipping. Almost too good to pass up!

05-26-12 03:21 PM
    So Ramblers, I ordered an external battery charger for the 9930 for peanuts from ebay. Then I ordered a y cable from Amazon for the other few peanuts in the bag. Now I have the ability to charge my phone AND the external battery at the same time. Cool!!!!!

F2, I have black foam board and 11 x 17 copies of yours and my photos. Now I am going to put them together, hopefully, with the help of the art teacher and maybe some of the students. I will probably use spray adhesive to adhere the photos to the board and cut it like a mat. I am not going to put under glass because it doesn't have to last forever...I only plan on working another 5 or 6 years anyway...LOL

As always, when I have the finished product, I will shoot you a few pics. Thanks for offering and letting me use your photos! I am very excited and I'm sure it will be like walking through a gallery once I get it settled.

Have a good week Ramblers!!
    05-30-12 08:33 PM
    11x17 - WOW. And they look good? Who did you use for the printing? I am sure you are looking forward to retirement........

I was looking my slideshow of that trip just yesterday with a friend I did the Dolomites with on an earlier trip. She really liked the pictures. She was visiting on her way to another Italy trip - bicycling the northwest corner of Italy.
    05-30-12 11:52 PM
    11x17 - WOW. And they look good? Who did you use for the printing? I am sure you are looking forward to retirement........

I was looking my slideshow of that trip just yesterday with a friend I did the Dolomites with on an earlier trip. She really liked the pictures. She was visiting on her way to another Italy trip - bicycling the northwest corner of Italy.
    F2-they are BEAUTIFUL! with the quality they were originally shot at...they could be sofa sized 20x 30 at least!
    I just can't afford to frame them so large! So the art teacher and I are going to do a little project and see what we can do...

There is nothing prettier than the Dolomites...except for maybe the cherry blossoms in DC...another one of my "favorite places"

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of Lake Lugano in Switzerland, would you?
    05-31-12 06:49 AM
    No pictures of Lake Lugano but maybe you'd sponsor a trip!

I have signed up for a x-country ski trip to the Dolomites for next Winter. We shall see....

If you don't mind answering, who did you use to do the printing? Most of my displayed photos are about 40 years old.
    05-31-12 10:12 AM
    No pictures of Lake Lugano but maybe you'd sponsor a trip!

I have signed up for a x-country ski trip to the Dolomites for next Winter. We shall see....

If you don't mind answering, who did you use to do the printing? Most of my displayed photos are about 40 years old.

F2 i went here Low Priced Photo Printing, Photo Gifts, Gifts, Cards & more at Clark Color. The 11 x 17 are usually 6.50 each but I got mine during a sale and they were a fraction of that...2.50 each.
    05-31-12 11:18 AM
    Hey Ramblers!
    Got a question for ya...how come when I jettison some apps and a few themes I never get back a ton of MBs when I restart?

I mean, my leak is as potent as ever (NEWSflash, right?)

So once in a while I like to get rid of a few apps I swear I don't need and even pare down some of the themes. Why doesn't my total jump up?

And why does Meterberry still say 512 total and other people's Meterberry say 768?

PS Meterberry was one of the apps I jettisoned!!!
    06-03-12 08:17 AM
    Hey Ramblers!
    Got a question for ya...how come when I jettison some apps and a few themes I never get back a ton of MBs when I restart?

I mean, my leak is as potent as ever (NEWSflash, right?)

So once in a while I like to get rid of a few apps I swear I don't need and even pare down some of the themes. Why doesn't my total jump up?

And why does Meterberry still say 512 total and other people's Meterberry say 768?

I don't have the answer for you, but I see the same thing In fact I've recently lost memory on restart and I've only added like 2 new themes (no apps) and memory is less than what the 2 themes are combined. I'm going to delete content store because that always gives me back some memory.....And I may be installing a hybrid So upon shrinking, that should give me some back also...

What will use if not Meterberry?
    06-03-12 08:34 AM
    I don't have the answer for you, but I see the same thing In fact I've recently lost memory on restart and I've only added like 2 new themes (no apps) and memory is less than what the 2 themes are combined. I'm going to delete content store because that always gives me back some memory.....And I may be installing a hybrid So upon shrinking, that should give me some back also...

I'm just keeping track of my total files free with Options. I can kinda sense when I am getting close to reboot...at about 85 or below things get laggy and I usually reboot by then anyway. So why use Meterberry? QL will reset my device in the am and I won't run a BB without QL so...

I just looked and I have 20 themes! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Time to delete a few and reinstall when I need a break.
    06-03-12 08:42 AM
    Hey Ramblers!

One of the changes that the developer made in the most recent update (I'm not sure if fall 2010 counts as recent) is that you have to tell MeterBerry how much RAM you have. If I recall, MB wasn't recording the correct RAM value in the v6 devices. This was apparently the developer's workaround.

Open MB and hit OPTIONS. Scroll down to APPLICATION MEMORY and find FORCE TOTAL MEMORY. Select the correct value for your device and save out.
    06-03-12 10:37 AM

Do you remember BatteryEx? And TinyMeter? If I remember, you can create and load/trade skins for BatteryEx. Kind of like themes?

Also remember that the newer 7.1 OS has the Device Analyzer which you can use to monitor signal and power.
    Last edited by Underway99; 06-03-12 at 08:06 PM.
    06-03-12 10:41 AM
    Hi Jaydee,

Well...at this time I have only 8 themes on my phone. I don't have or ever used Meterberry. I have been using the Device Analyzer on my phone and it does very well. I have about 12 third party apps and 2 games on my 9930. I usually have about 218000000 (rounded off) bytes of free memory. I usually have to reboot my 9930 (using QuickLaunch) about once a week. I also use my memory cleaner a few times a day. My free memory bytes will start dropping during the day depending on my usage for that day. It's not a big drop but after 5 days I will do a reboot.
    06-04-12 02:53 PM
    Hi Jaydee,

Well...at this time I have only 8 themes on my phone. I don't have or ever used Meterberry. I have been using the Device Analyzer on my phone and it does very well. I have about 12 third party apps and 2 games on my 9930. I usually have about 218000000 (rounded off) bytes of free memory. I usually have to reboot my 9930 (using QuickLaunch) about once a week. I also use my memory cleaner a few times a day. My free memory bytes will start dropping during the day depending on my usage for that day. It's not a big drop but after 5 days I will do a reboot.
    Well it must be me then cause I find Device Analyzer useless for memory currently available and memory used...along with battery usage. I am deleting it. I want only to know what my current files free is. And the BB itself will tell me that under options/device. So I deleted MB and device analyzer.

Another annoying thing about QL...it doesn't reboot if the phone is in bedside mode. So i gotta play with the hours I have bedside mode set, make the phone come out of it and then have QL reboot it. Weird but true. MB did it no matter what mode I was in. But I want to keep QL as it does a number of things.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 06-04-12 at 04:12 PM.
    06-04-12 04:10 PM
    OK Ramblers...JayDee did a very BAD thing today. Tricks with her playbook.
    I deleted important emails from the PB thinking it would still be available on my PC. What a freaking hot mess. Well lesson learned.

And now for good news: (With the help of the Robotics Club president) I have successfully run BootCamp on my MacBookPro and now I can dual boot. I have a windows side and a Mac side. Cool, huh? I always wanted to be able to backup my phone and use BBHybrid Tools while on my sleek Mac. Now it's a reality!!!!!!

So it really does work and it works well! Can use DM and BBSAK and BBHT on the PC side and the mac side for faster browsing. Yay!!!!

If anyone wants to attempt, I will be glad to help.
    06-08-12 08:03 AM
    Nice job on finally figuring out the dual boot JayDee.

Speaking of the PB. The only thing holding me back from buying one is the protected PDF that University of Phoenix uses for their texts. I've not found any recent information that I can use the Playbook to read my course material. Have you or any other Ramblers with a Playbook been able to open any protected PDF on your Playbooks?
    06-11-12 07:02 PM
    Nice job on finally figuring out the dual boot JayDee.

Speaking of the PB. The only thing holding me back from buying one is the protected PDF that University of Phoenix uses for their texts. I've not found any recent information that I can use the Playbook to read my course material. Have you or any other Ramblers with a Playbook been able to open any protected PDF on your Playbooks?
    Hey underway!
    I bought several Cisco Networking Academy textbooks from Pearson to read on my Nook. When I switched to the PlayBook, I downloaded the drm-protected file (I think it was a pdf) onto my pc laptop. Then I ran the file through an app I bought which strips the protection from it. And I loaded it on my PB. nd it reads and works just fine!

Would this work for you?
    06-11-12 07:38 PM
    Hey underway!
    I bought several Cisco Networking Academy textbooks from Pearson to read on my Nook. When I switched to the PlayBook, I downloaded the drm-protected file (I think it was a pdf) onto my pc laptop. Then I ran the file through an app I bought which strips the protection from it. And I loaded it on my PB. nd it reads and works just fine!

Would this work for you?
    I'm not sure if that would do it. UoP uses an encryption scheme from Vitrium Systems of Vancouver, BC. The only portable solution that I've found is PDF Reader Pro for iPad. I've read of apps that strip the DRM from eTexts, but they don't typically work with the encrypted UoP stuff. I might try it again, just because I really want to justify a Playbook and pass on my iPad.
    06-12-12 01:42 AM
    Hey Ramblers and especially Underway...
    I see there are some fires burning in San Diego...are you safe and out of harm's way Underway? I thought you were down there....

So I discovered the BlackBerry suite of apps that work really well on our phones. BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry Travel and BlackBerry Traffic. Three very neat apps and I am using them all right now. Has anyone else used them? I especially like the Travel app as it monitors all your flight information and makes the changes directly into your app. So convenient. Gone are the days of papers and papers for traveling. It's all there in the free app. And Traffic has the voice turn-by-turn! Fantastic! I am going to be shrinking less outta my OSes soon.
    06-19-12 07:29 PM
    Hey Ramblers and especially Underway...
    I see there are some fires burning in San Diego...are you safe and out of harm's way Underway? I thought you were down there....

So I discovered the BlackBerry suite of apps that work really well on our phones. BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry Travel and BlackBerry Traffic. Three very neat apps and I am using them all right now. Has anyone else used them? I especially like the Travel app as it monitors all your flight information and makes the changes directly into your app. So convenient. Gone are the days of papers and papers for traveling. It's all there in the free app. And Traffic has the voice turn-by-turn! Fantastic! I am going to be shrinking less outta my OSes soon.
    Thanks for asking JayDee. I live and work now in the south Puget Sound area, somewhere near F2. No more worry about wildfires or threats of rolling blackouts in the summer and fall.

RIM calls those apps "Super Apps". I use them all. The BB Traffic app just got better -- RIM recently signed a deal with the TomTom folks to supply navigation data for BB Traffic. I've been working (unsuccessfully) to get my wife and daughter to use Traffic instead of calling me to figure out where they are and then give them directions to get where they had intended to go. For that, I use BB Protect and the GPS tracking feature. Using that locator, I can track their phones in near real-time to see where they are and direct them back to the highway.

I have to travel a good bit for work. I use BB Travel and have it linked to both my personal 9930 (so it gets into the family calendar) and to my work 9650. Sometimes I get flight updates or gate changes at the airport before the gate agent posts it. With luck, BB Traffic will be updated soon to work in Europe. I may find myself in western Europe for a good chunk of next February and March. The integrated navigation app would be a lot less expensive than renting a GPS from wherever we rent our cars from.
    06-20-12 01:29 AM
23,186 ... 719720721722723 ...