Thanks for the info F2!!!
    I was able to get it to work on my PC no problemo. On my Mac however, I am going to have to use one of those file apps as I can't get Terminal to run the proper command.

I am enjoying my PB more every day!
    I appreciate your help and all the tips you have posted in the other threads. I have been trying to catch up on reading them all. Maybe this week....

Hamster...sideload via wifi? Oh boy....that's a tough one!
    I think there is an actual article CB Blog, perhaps that had the instructions including images. And I _THINK_ it had info for Mac.

I have this:

"You could try to uninstall and re-install DM. You could also look at your IP address of the playbook, open up explorer and put in \\<ip address of playbook>. It runs SMB and I tell my mac to connect to it using SMB so should work on windows similarly.

Never fear; There's a quick and easy workaround to this problem. Oddly enough, this is the preferred method of connecting, described in this BlackBerry Knowledge Base article. First, you'll need the IP address of your PlayBook. Open the PlayBook's settings by tapping the Gear icon in the upper right of the Status Ribbon. Select the About tab, and then select Network from the drop-down menu. You want the IPv4 address, which will probably be something like 192.168.x.x

Windows XP. Use the Windows Key-R combination to open the run menu. Type \\192.xxx.x.x That's backslash-backslash your-playbooks-ip For example, I would type \\192.168.1.2
    Windows Vista, Windows 7: Same thing, but you can also type that in the bar at the bottom of the Start menu
    Mac: "[S]elect Go -> Connect to Server... and type smb://127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)" "
    04-09-12 11:51 PM
    I was a little disappointed one of the android apps I tried to convert didn't work on my pb. It was an ereader I really liked. Oh well.

What app are you guys using for an ereader?
    04-12-12 03:38 PM
    I was a little disappointed one of the android apps I tried to convert didn't work on my pb. It was an ereader I really liked. Oh well.

Right now I'm using the sideloaded Kindle, and Book Reader from App World. Works pretty good. Some of the formatting is a bit off, but it reads a lot of various formats so it's worth the $1
    middbrew likes this.
    04-12-12 03:51 PM

A lot of the android apps that have been converted don't work. I installed about ten and have maybe 2 or 3 left on my PB.

For ereader I am using Book Reader. I think I paid for it but it works really well. I also paid for an app that converts all my nook books and I uploaded them to my PB. Therefore I can read all my nook stuff I originally paid for on my pb.

They say there are other ereaders out there too, many free. I just wanted to start with the electronic books I already own, so to speak. And now, I have.
    middbrew likes this.
    04-12-12 04:48 PM
    Jaydee, What app are you using to convert your Nook books to Playbook? Thanks for your time.
    04-12-12 07:32 PM
    Jaydee, What app are you using to convert your Nook books to Playbook? Thanks for your time.
    Here's a good computer software that works pretty good at converting different ebook formats. calibre - E-book management
    04-12-12 07:42 PM
    Right now I'm using the sideloaded Kindle, and Book Reader from App World. Works pretty good. Some of the formatting is a bit off, but it reads a lot of various formats so it's worth the $1
    A lot of the android apps that have been converted don't work. I installed about ten and have maybe 2 or 3 left on my PB.

For ereader I am using Book Reader. I think I paid for it but it works really well. I also paid for an app that converts all my nook books and I uploaded them to my PB. Therefore I can read all my nook stuff I originally paid for on my pb.

They say there are other ereaders out there too, many free. I just wanted to start with the electronic books I already own, so to speak. And now, I have.
    Thanks for the info!

I've only found 2 that read EPUBs that seem very good. Book Reader and PlayEPUB. I'm running the trial of PlayEPUB and it's seems pretty good so far. I wish Book Reader would have the trial version as will, but hey, we will find something.
    04-12-12 07:51 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion Mid. Unfortunately, it does not work with BN ebooks because of the drm restriction. May have to switch over to Kindle to make things work the way I want. Still curious about what Jaydee is using to strip the drm from her BN books.
    04-13-12 08:30 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion Mid. Unfortunately, it does not work with BN ebooks because of the drm restriction. May have to switch over to Kindle to make things work the way I want. Still curious about what Jaydee is using to strip the drm from her BN books.
    Hiya guys!
    Rankle, I purchased a program for my Mac (also available for windoz) called Nook DRM Removal. Was not cheap. about 25 bucks. However, it allows me to read all my Nook books!!!!

NOOK DRM Removal - Remove DRM protection from Barnes Noble ebook

Here's the link I used. Hope this helps!!!

Here is the reader I got at App World:
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...50823/?lang=en

Will read kindle books should I buy more for my PB and also read epubs. Does cost .99 cents tho.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 04-13-12 at 08:59 AM.
    04-13-12 08:54 AM
    Hey guys!!
    Runkle, how did you make out with the DRM Nook books?
    Midd-do you love the playbook?

I am crazy about it at this point! Hamster and I did a video chat and we ended up talking for over an hour on the thing! We had a great time! I can see us spending lots of time this summer (when I am not at work) chatting on it! Amazing!!!

If you want to try it out, let one of us know.
    I also found a way to sideload apps to my PB from my macbookpro using a script someone posted on cb. Now if I can only figure out how to UNinstall them using the script. lol
    04-15-12 10:31 AM
    Oh, video chat, huh. Not sure I want the real me to be seen as oppose to heard.
    04-15-12 01:15 PM
    I think I'm going to really like the video chat. I'm on the road a lot (3500 miles last week) and I'm giving my wife a PlaBook for her B-day on May 1st so we can talk when I'm away from home. It's a very cool feature.
    04-15-12 04:43 PM
    Thanks for the information Jaydee. I am holding off on the drm purchase for now because I do not have that many Nook books. I have asked the kids for an Amazon gift card for my birthday so I may not need it.

Have a great day everyone!
    04-16-12 09:18 AM
    Hi Ramblers! I updated my PlayBook OS yesterday and tonight I did my phone! Whew! That's enough work for one week,don't you think?

I'm on 342 finally for my 9930. Too early to judge the value of this one. Will let you know as I am keeping an eye on the memory leak....now who is surprised by that???

Sent from my BB Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-18-12 09:28 PM
    Ha, WTH's a little memory leak. If you weren't leaking you wouldn't know what to do with yourself. I got it more guns and tonic.
    04-18-12 11:34 PM
    Wow. 342 for the 9930? Playbooks all around? I've been on the road for a while now -- seems like too long since I've had any clue as to what's going on here.

I may finally bite the bullet and spring for the PB. JayDee, I see that you and Midd are doing the video chat. Is that proprietary to the Playbook, akin to the video chat app for the iPad? Or can I set it up like Skype and connect to any platform?
    04-19-12 09:19 PM
    Wow. 342 for the 9930? Playbooks all around? I've been on the road for a while now -- seems like too long since I've had any clue as to what's going on here.

I may finally bite the bullet and spring for the PB. JayDee, I see that you and Midd are doing the video chat. Is that proprietary to the Playbook, akin to the video chat app for the iPad? Or can I set it up like Skype and connect to any platform?
    Hey Peter!
    Good to see you again!
    Yes it seems the ramblers have all gotten playbooks, and the latest OS is .342, even for my device, lol.
    Actually it was Jaydee and I video chatting, and yes it is proprietary to the Playbook....so only PB to PB at the moment. Skype is not available yet

Go on get yourself one! You will love it
    04-19-12 09:26 PM
    Underway, I was wondering wherwe you had been!! Thought you had given up on us here! How ya been???
    No midd and I have not done the video chat but hamster and I have. For hours! Lmao. It is right now for pb to pb and not for other users YET. I feel that the app will grow and change as the os changes. It will be coming and when it does, it will make the pb a great tool for business.

Oh and book reader for pb has been updated and fixed to work with os 2.1 so I am very happy now. All my nook books on my pb and a kindle reader to boot. Can't wait to finish all my stuff so I can buy a few new books!!

I'm liking 342 for my 9930. Memory leak much improved I believe. Of course today is only the first day. Lmao. So who knows. Things can always get worse. They always do!!!!
    04-19-12 09:28 PM
    Playbook owners, a couple quick questions about charging. Prior to the 2.01 update I got the good ole LED light to let me know how my charging was going. After the update I now have no LED lights at all. No red light, no on/off yellow light and no green light when the PB is fully charged. Anybody see the same change? I am also having trouble with the charging connector. I have to plug and unplug it a few times before I get the PB to start charging. Doubt it is update related, but I did not have that problem prior to 2.01.

As an aside, I have a new grand daughter to spoil today. She came into the world at 2:49 PM. Life is good.
    04-19-12 09:38 PM
    Playbook owners, a couple quick questions about charging. Prior to the 2.01 update I got the good ole LED light to let me know how my charging was going. After the update I now have no LED lights at all. No red light, no on/off yellow light and no green light when the PB is fully charged. Anybody see the same change? I am also having trouble with the charging connector. I have to plug and unplug it a few times before I get the PB to start charging. Doubt it is update related, but I did not have that problem prior to 2.01.

As an aside, I have a new grand daughter to spoil today. She came into the world at 2:49 PM. Life is good.
    Congrats Grandpa!!!!!

As for charging, I never turn my pb off, just set it on standby so I dunno about lights. I plop it on the charging stand everyday before I go to bed and gather it up for work. Sorry I'm of no help there.
    04-20-12 06:25 AM

Congratulations!!!

Congrats Grandpa!!!!! Click to view quoted image

As for charging, I never turn my pb off, just set it on standby so I dunno about lights. I plop it on the charging stand everyday before I go to bed and gather it up for work. Sorry I'm of no help there.
    I'm the same way, Jaydee! Lol. Sorry, Runkle, I have no idea. Now you have me curious though. Maybe I will try it and see.
    04-20-12 07:05 AM
    Jaydee and Hamster,
    Do you get any LED lights when are charging your playbook? Or are there no lights to let you know the playbook is charging?
    04-20-12 09:44 PM
    Jaydee and Hamster,
    Do you get any LED lights when are charging your playbook? Or are there no lights to let you know the playbook is charging?
    So, last night when I placed ,my PB on the charging dock, I checked for any lights, but there wasn't anything. And I can't remember if before the update there was
    04-21-12 07:14 AM
    I never shut mine off, like I said and when I charge on the dock...NO LIGHTS.
    only the lightening bolt symbol thru the battery lets me know that it is charging.
    04-21-12 08:49 AM
    I also never really turn my pb off. I believe that the "charging led" only comes on when the pb is actually powered OFF. If you charge while it is in Standby, there will be no lights.

Now, that said, when the pb was first released, it could NOT charge while Powered OFF. It was either a bug or it was planned but an early OS update changed that behavior so that when actually OFF, it would charge and an led would show. I don't recall if there was a blinking and/or solid but color change when fully charged.

Maybe they altered it again with this new OS???

Congrats on the new family member.

Jaydee, I, too, updated two pb's and my 9930. Went the same OS as you and my battery life is much better. But I am having Password issues. I don't want the Password to kick in for 1/2 hour or hour but as soon as the 9930 enters standby (no holster, just screen goes off), I immediately have to enter the password. So, 30 or 45 seconds, Password is needed.
    04-21-12 09:32 AM
23,186 ... 712713714715716 ...