Yes Queen Bee with your well wishes and prayers my family made it unscathed. Thanks for your concerns.

Sent from my Dinc2
    Oh thank god. You had me worried. So glad everyone is OK.
    04-05-12 03:19 PM
    Hi everybody,

Hope all are well and everyone has a great Easter weekend. Also picked up a Playbook a couple weeks ago. Gotta say I sure like the OS, although some of the apps are just not up to par. I have found some good alternatives at goodereader.com. They have a decent selection of android apps that have been converted to the .bar playbook code. Dropbox, DocsToGo and Evernote work very well. There is no Nook app for books that I have found. Jaydee, did you get an answer to your memory question (512 vs 768)? I have the same results you do in meterberry. Take care everyone.
    04-05-12 05:22 PM
    Hi everybody,

Hope all are well and everyone has a great Easter weekend. Also picked up a Playbook a couple weeks ago. Gotta say I sure like the OS, although some of the apps are just not up to par. I have found some good alternatives at goodereader.com. They have a decent selection of android apps that have been converted to the .bar playbook code. Dropbox, DocsToGo and Evernote work very well. There is no Nook app for books that I have found. Jaydee, did you get an answer to your memory question (512 vs 768)? I have the same results you do in meterberry. Take care everyone.
    Runkle, I did not get an answer so I'm not sure what's going on with my berry. But i am on 340. Don't know if that makes a difference.

No nook app I know. I have tried to strip the drm from my nook books but to no avail. I haven't side loaded anything yet but that is my job over the next few days. BlueBox for dropbox is great. Docs to Go premium is already installed and evernote I have always used. so those are great.

Will side load some apps and let you know what I find. Keep me posted.
    04-05-12 06:08 PM
    I get my PlayBook on Tuesday. I will be on the road and won't be home. I'm learning how to convert droid apps to PB apps. Having fun till I get it.
    04-06-12 08:23 PM
    I get my PlayBook on Tuesday. I will be on the road and won't be home. I'm learning how to convert droid apps to PB apps. Having fun till I get it.
    Midd, the PB is a blast! and if you can convert apps then you can help me!!! Lucky you!

The how-tos on cb have been recommended to me and are very good. I haven't tried to side load anything yet. That might be Monday's job.

Good Luck!!
    04-07-12 04:42 PM
    Jaydee & Middle -- welcome to the Playbook! It really is a great device! Each time I pick up my mother-in-law's Kindle Fire I appreciate our PlayBooks that we have (wife's 32GB and my 64GB) even more than I did before!

Not a real experienced sideloader here, but put the Kindle app on each and really like it!
    04-07-12 11:53 PM
    Congrats on your purchase.

One thing you might want to be aware of: Rim is talking about removing the ability to sideload apps on the pb. It is on the Main page of CB but is also a now long thread on the main pb forum.
    04-07-12 11:53 PM
    Happy Easter to all the CB Ramblers!!! Hope the Easter bunny brought you lots of chocolate covered strawberries! I know I have mine! Lol hey! Its my fruit intake for the day!

Now F2 when you say they r going to take away the ability to side load, does that mean we should load up now on apps or will there no longer WORK after this happens???

Sent from my BB Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 05:47 AM
    I've converted about a half dozen now. It's not hard. Because I don't have my PB yet I don't know if they work yet.

F2, I have read the thread discussing RIM taking the ability to sideload away in future OS updates. I'm still interested to see how they will address allowing the devs the ability while stopping everyone else.
    04-08-12 09:17 AM
    Hello all! Back from vaca...what a fun time. Now to reality.

As far as Playbooks, go....Love mine. I have a few sideloaded apps and am not sure what will happen to them either once future updates come along. I'm hoping they will be available through app world at that point. Mainly Kindle. I need Kindle. Lol. And Words with Friends. hahah.

Congrats Midd...you're gonna have fun with it I'm sure.
    04-08-12 09:23 AM
    Happy Easter to all my Rambler family!
    04-08-12 09:54 AM
    Happy Easter to all the CB Ramblers!!! Hope the Easter bunny brought you lots of chocolate covered strawberries! I know I have mine! Lol hey! Its my fruit intake for the day!

Now F2 when you say they r going to take away the ability to side load, does that mean we should load up now on apps or will there no longer WORK after this happens???

No one is quite sure. The Rim guy (Alec/Alex) who started this rumble via Tweet said it was intended to protect developers who don't want their software pirated (some of us don't believe that) so that more developers will create pb apps. He also tweeted that it would not remove already sideloaded apps. BUT if you have to do either a Security Wipe or Debrick to restore your pb, you would no longer be able to reinstall those apps. DM does not backup sideloaded apps. Still a crap-shoot.

Sit back with a gun and tonic or a chocolate easter bunny and watch the sparks fly.
    04-08-12 10:53 AM
    So I thought I'd better get going and sideloaded about 10 diff apps this morning. Question? Are they always in portrait mode? I like using my pb in landscape but not the android apps. Oh well. They all seemed to work. Yay!

Debrick and wiping? Sheesh! Don't even want to consider that yet!! Not feeling very confident.

Although I did manage to strip the drm from my nook apps and can read them now. That's enough hacking for this weekend!!!

04-08-12 02:52 PM
    So I thought I'd better get going and sideloaded about 10 diff apps this morning. Question? Are they always in portrait mode? I like using my pb in landscape but not the android apps. Oh well. They all seemed to work. Yay!

Debrick and wiping? Sheesh! Don't even want to consider that yet!! Not feeling very confident.

Although I did manage to strip the drm from my nook apps and can read them now. That's enough hacking for this weekend!!!

Some are only in portrait, some in landscape. Kindle works both ways. Words only portrait. I don't know about the ones you have.

I'm going to have to get on sideloading some more too...before it's poof gone
    04-08-12 02:59 PM
    Android apps are NOT always in Portrait, some do run in landscape - the android browsers (two are actually available from appworld - Dolphin and Mxxxxxx (something or other). The GoLauncher can be either. GhostCommander (appworld, too, a file manager) runs in landscape.
    04-08-12 05:34 PM
    No one is quite sure. The Rim guy (Alec/Alex) who started this rumble via Tweet said it was intended to protect developers who don't want their software pirated (some of us don't believe that) so that more developers will create pb apps. He also tweeted that it would not remove already sideloaded apps. BUT if you have to do either a Security Wipe or Debrick to restore your pb, you would no longer be able to reinstall those apps. DM does not backup sideloaded apps. Still a crap-shoot.

Sit back with a gun and tonic or a chocolate easter bunny and watch the sparks fly.
    I would think if you had to do a security wipe or debrick to restore your pb you could load an older version re-sideload than upgrade to a newer version. Boy, there would be a whole weekends fun!
    04-08-12 08:01 PM
    Morning Ramblers!... Ok I have a problem. The usb port on my PB is messed up. I can't get the cable to connect. It just won't go in. I've tried moving the pins a bit, but the cable won't even fit...thank goodness I have a pod to charge the damn thing. So what are my options? How do I transfer stuff over to PB? Wifi? BT? And how do I do that?????

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 08:26 AM
    Morning Ramblers!... Ok I have a problem. The usb port on my PB is messed up. I can't get the cable to connect. It just won't go in. I've tried moving the pins a bit, but the cable won't even fit...thank goodness I have a pod to charge the damn thing. So what are my options? How do I transfer stuff over to PB? Wifi? BT? And how do I do that?????Click to view quoted image

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Hamster, I hope we can figure this out because I personally HATE using the usb cable to transfer pics, movies, music, etc. I downloaded an app called Wi-fi explorer for the PB. The free version lets me manipulate all the files on my pb from my laptop. BUT in the free version I can't UPLOAD? I think that's the catch. I want to buy the full version just so I can transfer pics, etc thru the wifi.

Now for BT im not sure how to do it. Oh F2...................

EDIT: After going to Crapp World and reading....
    WiFi Explorer just allows you to explore your files. duh. The PRO version allows uploading, just as I suspected! For 1.99

WIFI FILESERVER (for 1.99) allow you to control the file system on your pb from a laptop browser! This is exactly what you and I need Hamster. Now if there's a way to do it without adding an app or spending money.... But even so, 1.99 is nothing and I would like to use the pb this way. Never have to worry about a cable and be able to transfer files from any laptop: my mac, my sony or my work dell.

So they both do the same thing. Either of these would work for you Hamster.
    But maybe there is a free way with bluetooth?
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 04-09-12 at 09:12 AM.
    04-09-12 08:49 AM
    OK so I paired my macbook pro and my PB.
    BUUUUUTTTTTTT...it says my PB does not have a file transfer agent (my phone DOES, on the other hand) So what's that about?

I'm beginning to think an app that shows both file systems (like an ftp transfer app) would be the ticket.
    04-09-12 09:17 AM
    Now I have a new problem. My wireless won't stay connected for more than 10 seconds. It goes off and then tries to connect again. Steady loop. I have not had this problem before. I have had the pb a week and it has always connected and stayed steady. It is very windy today however, so maybe that's messing with our access? I dunno.

As I typed this, the signal was steady. When I go to use an app, it blinks off.

How do I delete android apps that are sideloaded????
    Maybe that's the problem!
    04-09-12 10:33 AM
    STOP!!!

Hamster.. - the pb has a one year warranty if YOU purchased it new.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

EVERYONE - you can use wifi-sharing for FREE - it is built-in to the pb. One way, generally, run from computer either pc or mac.

On the pb, go to Options (gear) symbol upper right.

Then Storage&Sharing. FileSharing-ON, Wifi-Sharing-ON, Password or not (I do).

Next, still in Options, ABOUT, use drop-down to get to NETWORK. Look at and copy the IPv4 address 192.168.1.xxx (skip the /24 value). Your IP numbers may be different.

Now on a pc (mac will have to follow in their fashion as I don't know mac), in the Run command (little windows icon at bottom left, type RUN, then enter

\\192.168.1.164\media

If all goes well, it should open an explorer window to your pb (wifi). No usb needed. Now, you can drag/drop, delete, to/from pc to pb and copy, move, etc.

You can also create a shortcut. Be aware the the ip address can change so sometimes you have to check on the pb that Network is still whatever. I know macs have something similar based on discussions.

You can also create a static ip address on the pb so that the ip address does not change. A bit more setup but it works. I've now even created a static for my 9930 for FileScouts wifi browsing!

JayDee, how are you sideloading - on mac? Then I don't know about removal. On the pc, version 1.0.8 has both INSTALL and UNinstall.
    hamsterwheel and jaydee5799 like this.
    04-09-12 12:37 PM
    STOP!!!

Hamster.. - the pb has a one year warranty if YOU purchased it new.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

EVERYONE - you can use wifi-sharing for FREE - it is built-in to the pb. One way, generally, run from computer either pc or mac.

On the pb, go to Options (gear) symbol upper right.

Then Storage&Sharing. FileSharing-ON, Wifi-Sharing-ON, Password or not (I do).

Next, still in Options, ABOUT, use drop-down to get to NETWORK. Look at and copy the IPv4 address 192.168.1.xxx (skip the /24 value). Your IP numbers may be different.

Now on a pc (mac will have to follow in their fashion as I don't know mac), in the Run command (little windows icon at bottom left, type RUN, then enter

\\192.168.1.164\media

If all goes well, it should open an explorer window to your pb (wifi). No usb needed. Now, you can drag/drop, delete, to/from pc to pb and copy, move, etc.

You can also create a shortcut. Be aware the the ip address can change so sometimes you have to check on the pb that Network is still whatever. I know macs have something similar based on discussions.

You can also create a static ip address on the pb so that the ip address does not change. A bit more setup but it works. I've now even created a static for my 9930 for FileScouts wifi browsing!

JayDee, how are you sideloading - on mac? Then I don't know about removal. On the pc, version 1.0.8 has both INSTALL and UNinstall.
    Thanks F2!!!

First, No, I did not purchase the playbook. I traded with someone (a developer) for my NC. So, I doubt I can call and RIM would honor my warranty. So, I have a damaged usb connector

Second, following your instructions, I got the wifi sharing to work! Thanks so much. Now I won't really need the usb connector....unless...How do I sideload apps via WIFI? I've tried both BBHT and DDPB and can't get it to work
    04-09-12 02:33 PM
    Thanks for the info F2!!!
    I was able to get it to work on my PC no problemo. On my Mac however, I am going to have to use one of those file apps as I can't get Terminal to run the proper command.

I am enjoying my PB more every day!
    I appreciate your help and all the tips you have posted in the other threads. I have been trying to catch up on reading them all. Maybe this week....

Hamster...sideload via wifi? Oh boy....that's a tough one!
    04-09-12 04:37 PM
    Thanks F2!!!

First, No, I did not purchase the playbook. I traded with someone (a developer) for my NC. So, I doubt I can call and RIM would honor my warranty. So, I have a damaged usb connector

Second, following your instructions, I got the wifi sharing to work! Thanks so much. Now I won't really need the usb connector....unless...How do I sideload apps via WIFI? I've tried both BBHT and DDPB and can't get it to work
    Glad you got it working.

DDPB can also use wifi. Actually, use the same IP address in it as you used for wifi sharing (not the one shown in Developer Mode).
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    04-09-12 11:05 PM
    Thanks for the info F2!!!
    I was able to get it to work on my PC no problemo. On my Mac however, I am going to have to use one of those file apps as I can't get Terminal to run the proper command.

I am enjoying my PB more every day!
    I appreciate your help and all the tips you have posted in the other threads. I have been trying to catch up on reading them all. Maybe this week....

Hamster...sideload via wifi? Oh boy....that's a tough one!
    I think there is an actual article CB Blog, perhaps that had the instructions including images. And I _THINK_ it had info for Mac.

I have this:

"You could try to uninstall and re-install DM. You could also look at your IP address of the playbook, open up explorer and put in \\<ip address of playbook>. It runs SMB and I tell my mac to connect to it using SMB so should work on windows similarly.

Never fear; There's a quick and easy workaround to this problem. Oddly enough, this is the preferred method of connecting, described in this BlackBerry Knowledge Base article. First, you'll need the IP address of your PlayBook. Open the PlayBook's settings by tapping the Gear icon in the upper right of the Status Ribbon. Select the About tab, and then select Network from the drop-down menu. You want the IPv4 address, which will probably be something like 192.168.x.x

Windows XP. Use the Windows Key-R combination to open the run menu. Type \\192.xxx.x.x That's backslash-backslash your-playbooks-ip For example, I would type \\192.168.1.2
    Windows Vista, Windows 7: Same thing, but you can also type that in the bar at the bottom of the Start menu
    Mac: "[S]elect Go -> Connect to Server... and type smb://127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)" "
    04-09-12 11:12 PM
23,186 ... 711712713714715 ...