Yay Hamster! New phone. That has to be fun... and probably frustrating at the same time. I remember how difficult I found the 9650 on OS5 to be for me after I left my 8330 on OS4.7. Hope you end up liking it!!
    01-05-12 07:21 AM
    Yay Hamster! New phone. That has to be fun... and probably frustrating at the same time. I remember how difficult I found the 9650 on OS5 to be for me after I left my 8330 on OS4.7. Hope you end up liking it!!
    Thx, Jaydee! Yes it is fun and frustrating. Not so much with the OS, but with the hardware itself. I'm still not totally sold on it though. A few more days and I will probably know if this is for me or not.

I have a question for those on the new devices. So, this one is supposed to have 768 mb on board memory and 4gb eMMC (what the heck is that?)...so why is it that I have less memory free than I had on my Bold? I have the same apps running, maybe less
    01-05-12 08:14 AM
    Thx, Jaydee! Yes it is fun and frustrating. Not so much with the OS, but with the hardware itself. I'm still not totally sold on it though. A few more days and I will probably know if this is for me or not.

I have a question for those on the new devices. So, this one is supposed to have 768 mb on board memory and 4gb eMMC (what the heck is that?)...so why is it that I have less memory free than I had on my Bold? I have the same apps running, maybe less
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind s that OS7 takes up MORE space than OS6 even if you used SHRINK. That's probably the case. You know how bloated OSes can get. Look at Windoze 7 as opposed to Win XP or something like that.

As for eMMC- that's a flash card designation. So I'm guessing the thing came with a 4GB flash or storage card????

However, after looking it up, it stands for EMBEDDED multimedia card...so 4GB maybe on the device itself as storage? and then you add your card?
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    01-05-12 08:29 AM

You have less available memory because OS7 is much bigger. Some say it's the graphics, but it's also that OS7 just has so much more of the code written into the radio file. You can shrink the he** out of OS7 and still have less empty space than you had with your 9650.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    hamsterwheel and jaydee5799 like this.
    01-05-12 08:31 AM
    So Runkle, since you and a few f the other Ramblers have the 9930 already, do you know if they make an extended battery for it? I really would need one I think!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

No extended battery to my knowledge. I just read somewhere (I don't recall where) that Seidio will not be offering one.

For those concerned with bricking, my two 9930s have been great.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    01-05-12 08:34 AM
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind s that OS7 takes up MORE space than OS6 even if you used SHRINK. That's probably the case. You know how bloated OSes can get. Look at Windoze 7 as opposed to Win XP or something like that.

As for eMMC- that's a flash card designation. So I'm guessing the thing came with a 4GB flash or storage card????

However, after looking it up, it stands for EMBEDDED multimedia card...so 4GB maybe on the device itself as storage? and then you add your card?
    ok, that makes sense. eMMC - probably right, but what does that do for me?

You have less available memory because OS7 is much bigger. Some say it's the graphics, but it's also that OS7 just has so much more of the code written into the radio file. You can shrink the he** out of OS7 and still have less empty space than you had with your 9650.

Ok, now it's clear. Seems that they would make the files smaller with newer os's no? it's like going backwards.
    At any rate, I tried installing 7.1 (sprint release) yesterday straight out of the box. I shrunk, got all the way to apploader and it wouldn't recognize it. I deleted all vendor xml files and all other os from my pc. So what gives?
    Now I'm stuck with the stock os with all the crap (and less memory). Unless I wipe and reinstall the "official'' (what I have now) on it.
    01-05-12 08:43 AM
    ok, that makes sense. eMMC - probably right, but what does that do for me?

Ok, now it's clear. Seems that they would make the files smaller with newer os's no? it's like going backwards.
    At any rate, I tried installing 7.1 (sprint release) yesterday straight out of the box. I shrunk, got all the way to apploader and it wouldn't recognize it. I deleted all vendor xml files and all other os from my pc. So what gives?
    Now I'm stuck with the stock os with all the crap (and less memory). Unless I wipe and reinstall the "official'' (what I have now) on it.
    That's what I would do. Reinstall the official that came with but clean it up first. Although, some people suggested to me when I got my 9650 to just use the damn phone with the OS it came with. Which is also good advice.
    01-05-12 08:50 AM
    That's what I would do. Reinstall the official that came with but clean it up first. Although, some people suggested to me when I got my 9650 to just use the damn phone with the OS it came with. Which is also good advice.
    You know what? That is good advice. I'm not even sure I'm keeping this just yet. If I do end up loving it, then I will mess with os and everything. But for right now I will just leave it alone.
    01-05-12 08:59 AM
    kinda sux that you have less file free than with the 9650! What a bummer!
    At least no memory leak tho, right?
    01-05-12 09:27 AM
    kinda sux that you have less file free than with the 9650! What a bummer!
    At least no memory leak tho, right?
    I know! It's like I went backwards or something

As for memory leaks, too soon to tell. I've read that others have them, so I will just monitor and see. Having few themes to change up will certainly help that
    01-05-12 09:38 AM
    I notice with my 9650 that the theme I choose makes a difference in the memory loss. All things being equal (same apps everyday) my memory loss fluctuates greatly depending on the theme I use and on how many times I change BeWeather sets.

I have always thought BeWeather was the culprit but who can really tell?
    01-05-12 09:51 AM
    Jaydee, I have not found an extended battery either. The rumor mill is always working; some say one is coming, others say no. I am not a heavy user so you will need a second battery if you get a 9930.
    01-05-12 11:12 AM
    Jaydee, I have not found an extended battery either. The rumor mill is always working; some say one is coming, others say no. I am not a heavy user so you will need a second battery if you get a 9930.
    That's exactly what I feared! Ah well, maybe in time there will be one, as you say. In the meantime, when I buy the phone, I'm buying a second batt too!
    01-05-12 11:14 AM
    Hamster, happy to see you are trying out a new phone. I played with the Torch before going with the 9930. I now find that I like the keys for input and can still use the touch screen when I want to. I am such a slow typer that I am only good with a screen keyboard on a tablet. Don't hold your breath on themes. I think it is going to be a while before anything comes out. My memory use has been reasonable even with some added programs. I am usually between 210 and 215. As for the OS, what version number did the Torch come with? If you are merely trying out the phone, stick with the loaded Verizon OS unless they have an updated official release. Have fun!
    01-05-12 11:20 AM
    65 degrees here today. Dang, what a day to have to be inside to work!! I have a hunch we may pay for this later.
    01-05-12 11:23 AM
    I notice with my 9650 that the theme I choose makes a difference in the memory loss. All things being equal (same apps everyday) my memory loss fluctuates greatly depending on the theme I use and on how many times I change BeWeather sets.

I have always thought BeWeather was the culprit but who can really tell?
    No you can't tell. We've tried all sorts of experiments, remember? Can't say for sure at all.

Hamster, happy to see you are trying out a new phone. I played with the Torch before going with the 9930. I now find that I like the keys for input and can still use the touch screen when I want to. I am such a slow typer that I am only good with a screen keyboard on a tablet. Don't hold your breath on themes. I think it is going to be a while before anything comes out. My memory use has been reasonable even with some added programs. I am usually between 210 and 215. As for the OS, what version number did the Torch come with? If you are merely trying out the phone, stick with the loaded Verizon OS unless they have an updated official release. Have fun!
    Yes, I'm trying to see if I like it enough to keep. If i just can't handle the all touch, I'm going to exchange it. or just go back to my 9650 I just wish VZW had the torch slider. That would solve all my issues. Larger screen and keyboard.
    I'm not very fast at typing either, lol. And some of my typing on this virtual kb is gibberish.
    01-05-12 12:46 PM
    That's exactly what I feared! Ah well, maybe in time there will be one, as you say. In the meantime, when I buy the phone, I'm buying a second batt too!

I have a spare battery and have only needed it once. I get a DPH of less than 4 with usage similar to what I had on my 9650. I routinely have about 40-50% remaining at bedtime. My wife gets two days of use from hers.

01-05-12 09:23 PM
    I have a spare battery and have only needed it once. I get a DPH of less than 4 with usage similar to what I had on my 9650. I routinely have about 40-50% remaining at bedtime. My wife gets two days of use from hers.

So that's good news Underway! yay! Maybe I will try it out first to see if I need another battery. My contract isn't up till Feb sometime and then it all depends on if there are themes or not...
    01-06-12 06:18 AM
    Hey Ramblers, Happy New Years! I haven't been around in quite a while. I've got a new job that keeps me extremely busy and on the run. And to be honest I just really burned out on CB. Well anyway it looks like a few of the regulars are still here, of course the Queen, Jaydee is here! Yeah! I see some people have moved on to other devices. I hope everyone is enjoying their new phones. I'm still running my 9650 but I'm planning on updating to the 9930 probably next month.That's about it for now, I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
    Last edited by princebb; 01-06-12 at 08:41 PM.
    01-06-12 08:07 PM
    Hey Ramblers, Happy New Years! I haven't been around in quite a while. I've got a new job that keeps me extremely busy and on the run. And to be honest I just really burned out on CB. Well anyway it looks like a few of the regulars are still here, of course the Queen, Jaydee is here! Yeah! I see some people have moved on to other devices. I hope everyone is enjoying their new phones. I'm still running my 9650 but I'm planning on updating to the 9930 probably next month.That's about it for now, I wish you all a happy, healthy and properous new year.
    OMG!!!!! It's Dr. Prince!
    Welcome back around Prince! Congrats on the new job and hope it is going well. We are all still here and hanging around, some of us using the 9650and some with other bb devices. I guess you have been keeping track of us after all!

Don't be a stranger anymore, ok?
    And Happy New Year to you and your family!!
    01-06-12 08:24 PM
    Hey Ramblers, Happy New Years! I haven't been around in quite a while. I've got a new job that keeps me extremely busy and on the run. And to be honest I just really burned out on CB. Well anyway it looks like a few of the regulars are still here, of course the Queen, Jaydee is here! Yeah! I see some people have moved on to other devices. I hope everyone is enjoying their new phones. I'm still running my 9650 but I'm planning on updating to the 9930 probably next month.That's about it for now, I wish you all a happy, healthy and properous new year.
    The doc is in the house! Good to see you Congrats with the job. And yes, Jaydee isn't going anywhere. At this point I don't think it matters what BB device the Ramblers have..We're just one big, convoluted, mixed up, happy bunch over here
    01-06-12 08:30 PM
    Thanks Jaydee and Hamster! I'll try to drop by more often. Jaydee, what's up with 6.0.0.706? I tried to update my phone to 706 tonight with apploader and all it does is show me the apps that are already on my phone. I know I haven't done this in a few months but that's never happened before. I saw a post earlier about two vendor XML files to remove, I only see one vendor file. How's it running for you. Any Ideas??
    01-06-12 08:38 PM
    Prince,
    I love 706. And no you haven't gone crazy. There were two places to delete vendor.xml but I didn't do it that way. I used BB Hybrid Tools and I shrunk the OS so it automatically deleted the files. Try going at it that way (unless someone else remembers the files).
    01-06-12 08:47 PM
    Prince,
    I love 706. And no you haven't gone crazy. There were two places to delete vendor.xml but I didn't do it that way. I used BB Hybrid Tools and I shrunk the OS so it automatically deleted the files. Try going at it that way (unless someone else remembers the files).
    Tried using BB Hybrids Tool to shrink the OS. It didn't work. I'm confused!
    01-06-12 09:25 PM
    Tried using BB Hybrids Tool to shrink the OS. It didn't work. I'm confused!
    I know it's the not the same device, but I tried to upgrade my Torch to the 7.1 (sprint rel) and had the same issues. I deleted the vendor xml file and used bbhybrid to shrink and apploader would not see the os. All it gave me the option to install was media sync files.
    Never had an issue before.
    I know this doesn't help, but just wanted you to know that I've had trouble also.
    So now I have all this crap I don't want. And with the even less memory I get with OS7, I need all the room I can get.
    01-06-12 10:01 PM
23,186 ... 693694695696697 ...