Ramblers I do have a question on vocab. Does 'jailbreak' and 'root' mean essentially the same thing?

I have a fire sale HP TouchPad. I have not altered it yet, just checking on the correct term? I have thought about it though, does that count?

Would love to be able to tether it like I have with my laptop but they don't play well.

I can access all of my kindle books...very cool. I have also ripped a few DVD's and even discovered meta tags. whoo hoo. Who'd guess?

Anyway just wanted to check on the terminology and would rather use the word "root' but when you think about it if this is the Rambler thread I think jailbreak would work too!
    "Root" refers to the android system. "Jailbreak" refers to apples system.

sent from my Dinc using TapaTalk
    The HP TouchPad uses the Palm based platform WebOS. There are some people working on hacking it so users can put the Android platform on it. One of the issues is being able to match the TouchPad hardware with the Android software. They have a somewhat working version but have not released it as it isn't very stable.When they get it figured out the TouchPad will be a great Droid tab for it's price (although I think it's pretty good now with WebOS).
    11-05-11 08:08 AM
    Thanks Buford and Midbrew, for $150 I can like WebOS. This way when I go from device to device I have a good excuse when I have to remember which device works which way!
    I asked about the difference in terms because I did a 'jailbreak' on my kindle so I could change the wallpapers on the front. So in that case I think it was the term used to just 'get in the system' and alter it??

Ideally I would love to be able to tether my Blackberry to it but I will be patient and see what happens.
    11-06-11 12:32 PM
    Elizabeth, you guys have seriously got me thinking about putting a new OS on my NC. I just ordered a 16GB card for it. I hope that after I root it, I can carry some movies on it. I think f I have a day off, I might try.

I know once Midd and Underway gave me a link for a new OS. I guess things have changed so I'm gonna have to ask for help all over again. When I get the card I will let you know and then take the plunge I guess. Then I will have a tablet. Will i be able to read my stuff like I usually do? See the pictures, etc?
    11-06-11 01:51 PM
    Jaydee, check out xda-developers.com. The site has all kinds of info and downloads for a modified Nook Color OS. There is a forum devoted to the Nook Color. The same is true at AndroidCentral.com. The Google marketplace has a Nook app and you can access all your books from there. Personally, I like using the original Nook OS for reading. The marketplace also has a Kindle app so you can have access to all of Amazon's material as well.

I really like running the modified OS off the sd card. I can go back to the original Nook OS by shutting down the Nook, taking out the card, and turning the Nook back on. It really is slick.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-06-11 02:50 PM
    Buford, you out there still?
    When are you coming back?
    If you need help, send a text or post.
    11-06-11 07:50 PM
    There's a lot of good stuff at AndroidCentral.com and xda-developers.com. I have a few more links that are really helpful. For reading I really like FBReader much better than the NC reader but that just might be me.

JayDee (and Hamster), when you get ready to do it just BBM me.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    11-06-11 08:55 PM
    Buford, you out there still?
    When are you coming back?
    If you need help, send a text or post.
    He's still around, loving his Droid a little to much.
    11-06-11 08:56 PM
    He's still around, loving his Droid a little to much.
    Lol.

11-07-11 08:08 AM
    Lol.

I figured I wouldn't be seeing you anymore. Oh well, another friend off my bbm list.
    11-07-11 08:33 AM
    I figured I wouldn't be seeing you anymore. Oh well, another friend off my bbm list.
    So are u saying we can only be friends if I have my bb ? Im gonna get it fixed. I have just been busy and hadn't had the urge to get it fixed yet. Just changing phones for a little bit.

11-07-11 08:50 AM
    So are u saying we can only be friends if I have my bb ? Im gonna get it fixed. I have just been busy and hadn't had the urge to get it fixed yet. Just changing phones for a little bit.

Yup. That's what I'm saying. Any of my friends who left for other phones are off my bbm and I don't talk to them anymore. That's just the way it is. I don't use any other messaging app. They all use the phone memory and I forget to open them up anyway everyday. SMS is about the only other way I communicate. Just the way I have been using my bb, that's all.

I thought you'd be happy to know I have been missing you. and will if you don't come back.
    11-07-11 08:56 AM
    The 3 little pigs should visit the 9900/9930 forum thread so they can build their houses strong using the tons of bricks that's piling up over there.
    11-07-11 05:18 PM
    The 3 little pigs should visit the 9900/9930 forum thread so they can build their houses strong using the tons of bricks that's piling up over there.
    They shoulda stuck with their 9650s, like mine. It's humming right along as swell as ever.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    11-07-11 05:34 PM
    They shoulda stuck with their 9650s, like mine. It's humming right along as swell as ever.
    Mine too

As for the 990/9930 all devices behave differently. WE all know that from here with ours..
    So, I know quite a few folks who are happy with their's
    11-07-11 05:40 PM
    For those of you who watch movies on your NC, after I copy the movie to my card, under files/movies/ how do I access it?

tap files? and drill down from there?
    And what format do I need the movies to be in? mp4 ok?
    11-08-11 07:22 AM
    For those of you who watch movies on your NC, after I copy the movie to my card, under files/movies/ how do I access it?

tap files? and drill down from there?
    And what format do I need the movies to be in? mp4 ok?
    Yes, they need to be in mp4. And go to files/videos and they should be there

Morning
    11-08-11 07:35 AM
    Yes, they need to be in mp4. And go to files/videos and they should be there

Morning
    Hey Hamster! Morning!
    Now when I navigate to the movies, do I need any special player to play them?
    11-08-11 08:36 AM
    I've heard from people who love the 9930....are you saying that no one had problems with 9650, Jim?

I don't use any other messaging app. They all use the phone memory and I forget to open them up anyway everyday. SMS is about the only other way I communicate.
    I've had good luck with Gtalk and Yahoo IM. GTalk gets disconnected from the server quite often, but I know android users that have the same issue. I tried Kik and I started having weird issues.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-08-11 at 10:10 AM.
    11-08-11 10:02 AM
    Hey Hamster! Morning!
    Now when I navigate to the movies, do I need any special player to play them?
    Nope, no special player needed. Just tap it and it should play
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-08-11 10:11 AM
    I've heard from people who love the 9930....are you saying that no one had problems with 9650, Jim?
    Of course the 9650 had certain issues, don't they all
    Since I wanted to get one on release and tried 6 between the 9900(1) and 9930(5) and found unacceptable issues I couldn't deal with on all 6. So when I read about the bricking issues everyone's having and some are saying their stuck with no return option, it actually makes me feel a sense of frustration and even anger at RIM, because I wanted one of these and look at this crap quality.
    Agreed some are loving it and having no issues, but because that crap shoot for a quality device is one I'd prefer to not get into, I stayed with what I have.
    I feel for those with the issues tho and my sarcasm shows sometimes, but in the end I'm glad I stood pat.
    My 9650 was very solid, but I know some had issues from memory leaks to reboots etc, however I don't recall any spontaneous bricking that could not be recovered from. Even crackberry Kevin had it happen to two diff bolds, and so did one of the mods.
    I'm really curious as to how all the non forum folks are dealing with this. We're such a small percentage of actual users and those folks just want it and need it to work out of the box. What a concept. Plop down $500 and be able to use it without having to fix it first. It's these types of issues that drive business users to istuff and others. Since business users worldwide are RIMs biggest market they better not disappoint. Statistics support the facts that once people leave and have a better experience somewhere else they don't return to where they left off.

Pink, are you out there? She, a huge BB fan and last I heard has gone to ifone. I was a fan until 9930 disappointed, now firmly entrenched with a device that really works well for me. If 9930 was as good as 9650 software/hardware quality wise, I'd still be with BB. geez... multiply this by tons of frustrated users all over and it spells disaster for any business.
    Sorry didn't mean to go on , but my frustrations with RIM comes to the surface sometimes, but the comment about the pile of bricks is real life and that pile is growing. And some are 2 month old devices.
    One last observation, people like my brother(non phonies) use their BB's as they come out of the box, never loading anything 3rd party on it. Maybe that's what RIM expects the majority to do.
    ThePinkChameleon and Chrisy like this.
    11-08-11 11:49 AM
    Of course the 9650 had certain issues, don't they all
    Since I wanted to get one on release and tried 6 between the 9900(1) and 9930(5) and found unacceptable issues I couldn't deal with on all 6. So when I read about the bricking issues everyone's having and some are saying their stuck with no return option, it actually makes me feel a sense of frustration and even anger at RIM, because I wanted one of these and look at this crap quality.
    Agreed some are loving it and having no issues, but because that crap shoot for a quality device is one I'd prefer to not get into, I stayed with what I have.
    I feel for those with the issues tho and my sarcasm shows sometimes, but in the end I'm glad I stood pat.
    My 9650 was very solid, but I know some had issues from memory leaks to reboots etc, however I don't recall any spontaneous bricking that could not be recovered from. Even crackberry Kevin had it happen to two diff bolds, and so did one of the mods.
    I'm really curious as to how all the non forum folks are dealing with this. We're such a small percentage of actual users and those folks just want it and need it to work out of the box. What a concept. Plop down $500 and be able to use it without having to fix it first. It's these types of issues that drive business users to istuff and others. Since business users worldwide are RIMs biggest market they better not disappoint. Statistics support the facts that once people leave and have a better experience somewhere else they don't return to where they left off.

Pink, are you out there? She, a huge BB fan and last I heard has gone to ifone. I was a fan until 9930 disappointed, now firmly entrenched with a device that really works well for me. If 9930 was as good as 9650 software/hardware quality wise, I'd still be with BB. geez... multiply this by tons of frustrated users all over and it spells disaster for any business.
    Sorry didn't mean to go on , but my frustrations with RIM comes to the surface sometimes, but the comment about the pile of bricks is real life and that pile is growing. And some are 2 month old devices.
    One last observation, people like my brother(non phonies) use their BB's as they come out of the box, never loading anything 3rd party on it. Maybe that's what RIM expects the majority to do.
    OMG do we have to go here again?
    I think I may finally be outta here guys.
    If you buy a phone and it doesn't work, then get it fixed. If you don't like getting it fixed, switch brands.
    How difficult is this? Some people don't leave because of frustration Jim, they leave because they think they have to have the latest and greatest. The biggest toy. The fastest processor. The most games. An overgrown ipod. Does it really matter to me when I use my phone for calls and bbm? NOPE. Is it a SIN to keep the 9650 that has great hardware and stable OS? NOPE. Why? Because I don't feel the need to change. If I wanted a portable device for surfing, games and fart apps, I'd get an ipad. (I don't need one, I have a NC).

It's 1000 fokking degrees in here and reading all these complaints makes me hotter.
    If they're bricking devices then do like the majority of the population does when that happens and return it.
    What am I missing here?????

Oh and why am I angry? Because people who leave Blackberry never seem to leave HERE. They come back and poke fun at RIM and insinuate that the rest of us are stupid for staying with our 9650s. THAT"S WHAT PISSES ME OFF.

That's why I am choosing not to read anymore.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-08-11 at 01:17 PM.
    11-08-11 01:03 PM
    Greetings Ramblers,

After bouncing around between a Bold 9930, BB Torch, IPhone 4s and Windows phone at a nearby Verizon store, I picked up a Bold 9930 yesterday to try it out. Updated the OS out of the box (374). Love the larger keys. Have not played around with the touch screen much. It just seems too small to be very effective. I end up using the trackpad 90% of the time. So far, battery life has been good, the browser is faster, and the overall build quality is solid. The phone is really thin! I need a case to bring back some bulk so it feels better in my hand. I miss my old themes so will have to wait a while if I choose to keep the phone.

My 9650 is not going far. I want to make sure this new 9930 keeps on tickin.

Hey Midd, when do you want to split the cost and work out a user schedule????
    11-08-11 01:38 PM
    OMG do we have to go here again?
    I think I may finally be outta here guys.
    If you buy a phone and it doesn't work, then get it fixed. If you don't like getting it fixed, switch brands.
    ^I'm with you Jaydee
    Some people don't leave because of frustration Jim, they leave because they think they have to have the latest and greatest.
    I don't disagree with this at all. Just saying some BB diehards are leaving due to the lackluster quality which to me equals frustration in a sense.
    Is it a SIN to keep the 9650 that has great hardware and stable OS? NOPE. Why? Because I don't feel the need to change. If I wanted a portable device for surfing, games and fart apps, I'd get an ipad. (I don't need one, I have a NC).
    The 9650 was very solid and I used it for a good long year, but wanting to update to the next incarnation of bold and seeing the issues was hugely disappointing for me.
    It's 1000 fokking degrees in here and reading all these complaints makes me hotter.
    If they're bricking devices then do like the majority of the population does when that happens and return it.
    What am I missing here?????
    After more than one spontaneous bricking(some have had 2 or 3 even)I'd be one pissed off camper. Fine , return, but others can;t due to ebay buys that are 2 months old and similar, Clist to name another. No insurance, another issue.
    To wake up to a white screen dead bold would flat out suk. That's what's being reported.
    All phones can have issues, last iphone, "your not holding it right" said Jobs. etc etc the list goes on. I'm not wanting to get anybody stirred up. I truly hope the BBX devices just blow everyone away and if they are solid then that would be nice.
    Keep your 9650 Jaydee, because the bottom line is to use what works

Oh and why am I angry? Because people who leave Blackberry never seem to leave HERE. They come back and poke fun at RIM and insinuate that the rest of us are stupid for staying with our 9650s. THAT"S WHAT PISSES ME OFF.

That's why I am choosing not to read anymore.
    I come here to not only learn , but to see how the issues are being dealt with, since I miss BB some , I need to live vicariously thru other users So...............
    I hope your not putting me into that category. If I came off that way to you, you got the wrong impression. I'm not a hater, just a disappointed former user and only "former" because of being very disappointed. Doesn't mean I can't come back at some point. The 3 pigs comment was my acting out my disappointment in a sarcastic fashion. I feel for those folks with bricked BB's. In any case, just my .02 in a little different perspective.
    11-08-11 02:13 PM
    While I understand Jim's quality frustration, and JayDee's RIM bashing frustration, I think we're getting a little carried away here.

I agree, Jim's post about the 9900/9930 would be better suited to that forum, not the Essex Ramblings thread.

But that opens up the door to my frustration with this thread: yes, it's a little loosey-goosey, but looking at some of the recent posts here, it's hard to tell if this thread is related to the Bold 9650 or the Nook Color or whatever "gadget of the day" comes along. When we were off-topic but still on the topic of 9650 it was a thread worth contributing to.

Maybe it's run it's course?
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-08-11 at 02:22 PM.
    cbreze likes this.
    11-08-11 02:15 PM
    After more than one spontaneous bricking(some have had 2 or 3 even)I'd be one pissed off camper. Fine , return, but others can;t due to ebay buys that are 2 months old and similar, Clist to name another. No insurance, another issue.
    To wake up to a white screen dead bold would flat out suk. That's what's being reported.
    That's the chance you take any time you roll the dice on an "outside" purchase. Sorry, I don't have much sympathy in that sense. I've purchased 2 used Blackberries on CB Market place. Neither had any issues. I was LUCKY!

I knew full well, that if I had issues with either one VZW wouldn't hesitate in telling me togo pound salt if they had defects.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-08-11 at 04:21 PM.
    cbreze likes this.
    11-08-11 02:18 PM
23,186 ... 682683684685686 ...