Looked an an iPad2 today because I have a need for electronic copies of textbooks. But the price is outrageous!

I guess I will try and read those textbooks on my NookColor. Maybe Midd will help me bake gingerbread or make an ice cream sandwich or whatever they're doing to a Droid tablet these days! LMAO!

I really would like the iPad but can't afford one along with college tuition. Too bad.

Oh but I would never leave BlackBerry no matter what else I carry! HAHA
    I found that I could only use the iPad for my textbooks. There is an app called PDFReader Pro from iTech Development Systems that will open the encrypted PDF that the University of Phoenix uses. To this point, there isn't anything for the Android OS that works. I'm not even sure that they can be read on a PlayBook. I didn't really want an iPad -- it was my only choice.

You can pick up a first-gen 16GB iPad from eBay for around $350. It's still steep, but it works.
    11-01-11 02:30 PM
    I found that I could only use the iPad for my textbooks. There is an app called PDFReader Pro from iTech Development Systems that will open the encrypted PDF that the University of Phoenix uses. To this point, there isn't anything for the Android OS that works. I'm not even sure that they can be read on a PlayBook. I didn't really want an iPad -- it was my only choice.

You can pick up a first-gen 16GB iPad from eBay for around $350. It's still steep, but it works.
    OK well, if I must get an iPad, then maybe the first gen is the way to go for me. I am all about saving some coin.
    However, as far as the epub and pdfs being read on an android...I know they will work on the nook color so if I back down and decide not to spend anything extra at all, I will purchase them for the NC only and read them that way. In fact...I should purchase one and try it on the NC. If it works, I really have no need for an ipad...

Thanks Underway! Now can I eat my ice cream sandwich? Had a hankering since I wrote that this morning....
    11-01-11 03:38 PM
    OK well, if I must get an iPad, then maybe the first gen is the way to go for me. I am all about saving some coin.
    However, as far as the epub and pdfs being read on an android...I know they will work on the nook color so if I back down and decide not to spend anything extra at all, I will purchase them for the NC only and read them that way. In fact...I should purchase one and try it on the NC. If it works, I really have no need for an ipad...

Thanks Underway! Now can I eat my ice cream sandwich? Had a hankering since I wrote that this morning....
    I tried the Nook Color first, but it doesn't work for UoP books. That's why I had to get the iPad. As long as the textbooks aren't encrypted with the encryption scheme from Vitrium Systems, you should be good to go.
    11-01-11 04:18 PM
    I figured we both should change teams. Lol. U pick one and that will be our team.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    11-01-11 06:58 PM
    I figured we both should change teams. Lol. U pick one and that will be our team.

Ok!! First off, are you still waiting on that battery? What did they do? Send it fokking pony express? Dang!

And if we're picking a new tean, let's pick a winner. I say we jump on the Packers bandwagon or maybe the Lions. Let's be a frontrunner bandwagon jumper pair. Lmao!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    11-01-11 07:57 PM
    U are too crazy girl ! Battery is in. Pony delivered yesterday. Still got a bricked phone. Gotta find time to try and fix it. Lol. Pick a team and its ours. I kinda like Detroit.

11-02-11 09:06 AM
    U are too crazy girl ! Battery is in. Pony delivered yesterday. Still got a bricked phone. Gotta find time to try and fix it. Lol. Pick a team and its ours. I kinda like Detroit.

Gotta find time?
    MAKE TIME, B!!!!
    Dang! We go with Detroit then! Go Lions Go!!!! I'll drag out some blue and silver and you already got the wardrobe covered! (aren't those cowpies blue and silver too?)

LMAO!!!!
    Get back on BBM, I miss ya!
    11-02-11 09:21 AM
    I tried the Nook Color first, but it doesn't work for UoP books. That's why I had to get the iPad. As long as the textbooks aren't encrypted with the encryption scheme from Vitrium Systems, you should be good to go.
    So, I bought that ebook, sideloaded it on my Nook and Viola!!!!!
    Works like a charm! I JUST SAVED 500 bucks!

WooHoo!!! I can buy my ebook texts and read them on my device while right in class (teaching that is!) our curriculum is online so having a "hard copy" so to speak is a lot easier than dragging around my work-issued laptop and signing in on the web each time to access it.

Woohoo. Best part...deduct the cost of the Nook from taxes since I'm now using it for work!
    Happy days!!!
    11-02-11 09:25 AM
    So, I bought that ebook, sideloaded it on my Nook and Viola!!!!!
    Works like a charm! I JUST SAVED 500 bucks!

WooHoo!!! I can buy my ebook texts and read them on my device while right in class (teaching that is!) our curriculum is online so having a "hard copy" so to speak is a lot easier than dragging around my work-issued laptop and signing in on the web each time to access it.

Woohoo. Best part...deduct the cost of the Nook from taxes since I'm now using it for work!
    Happy days!!!
    Saving cash is always good.

BTW, my daughter plays (well, strangles) a VIOLA. You wanted VOILA.

BN is supposedly releasing a new Nook Color on Monday. There goes the cash you just saved...
    11-02-11 09:53 AM
    Glad you got that sorted Jaydee! That little NC is an amazing little tablet and for the cost, not bad at all.

99, new Nook Color? What are the differences? Won't we able to upgrade the ones we have ie software wise? Damn it.
    11-02-11 10:18 AM
    Saving cash is always good.

BTW, my daughter plays (well, strangles) a VIOLA. You wanted VOILA.

BN is supposedly releasing a new Nook Color on Monday. There goes the cash you just saved...
    Yup. Type too fast while multi-tasking and you can get some spelling errors for sure. Of course, you don't really know WHAT I play at home....

HAHA and No 500 saved is saved. As long as my curriculum doesn't change and I have to download another 61 dollar ebook; I'm set! I use the NC purely for reading.
    11-02-11 10:28 AM
    Yup. Type too fast while multi-tasking and you can get some spelling errors for sure. Of course, you don't really know WHAT I play at home....

We'll never get out of rehab if we start talking about what you play at home!
    11-02-11 10:53 AM
    We'll never get out of rehab if we start talking about what you play at home!
    Somehow I don't think we have a "get out of jail free " card here on cb!!!!
    11-02-11 10:55 AM

Still bricked?????

Somehow I don't think we have a "get out of jail free " card here on cb!!!!
    Certainly not when I'm around!!!!
    11-02-11 12:13 PM
    Still bricked?????

Yup. Gotta get on it.

Certainly not when I'm around!!!!

11-02-11 05:30 PM
    Hey Buford, if you are going to root for a team in the black and blue division, at least put on a bear costume and cheer for Chicago.
    Absolutely NO ROOTING FOR THE BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mid, want to share the cost of a new phone since neither of us really wants to spend the coin? We can alternate weeks!
    Hmmm...That might be the way to go.
    11-03-11 04:10 PM
    I guess I will try and read those textbooks on my NookColor. Maybe Midd will help me bake gingerbread or make an ice cream sandwich or whatever they're doing to a Droid tablet these days! LMAO!
    If you ever want to root your NC I surely could help.

Oh but I would never leave BlackBerry no matter what else I carry! HAHA
    Both my wife and I have looked at the Droids and iPhones and really didn't like them all that much. We will be staying with BB for a while. And what do you know, right after I went and looked at the new BBs at VZW and thought about dropping Alltel and going with Big Red (or sky net if you prefer) Alltel comes out with the 8950 and talk of the 9930 coming soon. Now if I can get them to give to me free.....
    11-03-11 04:27 PM
    Glad you got that sorted Jaydee! That little NC is an amazing little tablet and for the cost, not bad at all.

99, new Nook Color? What are the differences? Won't we able to upgrade the ones we have ie software wise? Damn it.
    Not a lot is known just yet, maybe on the 7th with the news of its release. One thing that has been rumored is a 1.2 ghz processor. The NC now only has an 800 mhz processor. That being said I have mine running at 1.3 ghz. I'm guess it will have a modified version of Gingerbread. It is also rumored that the screen size will still be the same but the casing will be a bit different (no more little hole thing on the corner and no more upside down U). I would think it will have a few more goodies as well.

I don't see myself needing to upgrade to it.
    11-03-11 04:50 PM
    OK so the specs have been leaked:

• Dual core TI OMAP processor at 1.2GHz.
    • 0.48 inches thin weighing in at 14.1 ounces or 400 grams.
    • 16GB of internal storage, plus it can take up to a 32GB microSD card.
    • Battery life is listed as "to be determined," but it looks like BN's expecting 8 hours with Wifi off, or 4 hours of video playback
    • Wifi, with 802.11 b/g/n.
    11-03-11 07:48 PM
    OK so the specs have been leaked:

• Dual core TI OMAP processor at 1.2GHz.
    • 0.48 inches thin weighing in at 14.1 ounces or 400 grams.
    • 16GB of internal storage, plus it can take up to a 32GB microSD card.
    • Battery life is listed as "to be determined," but it looks like BN's expecting 8 hours with Wifi off, or 4 hours of video playback
    • Wifi, with 802.11 b/g/n.
    This sounds great. But I too will not be upgrading as I am pretty happy with what I have! I can read my textbooks and reg. B&N offerings and add my own files and watch a movie and...Thanks for the offer Midd! If I decide to root the thing, I will ask you right away for directions.
    11-03-11 08:05 PM
    This sounds great. But I too will not be upgrading as I am pretty happy with what I have! I can read my textbooks and reg. B&N offerings and add my own files and watch a movie and...Thanks for the offer Midd! If I decide to root the thing, I will ask you right away for directions.
    Yeah..mine works well for me as is. Can't see spending the money to upgrade. And if I ever got of my @ss and root the thing, it will be better. Midd thanks for the info. And thanks for offering to help with the rooting. You'll be sorry you asked with Jaydee and I lighting up your bbm
    11-03-11 08:21 PM
    Yeah..mine works well for me as is. Can't see spending the money to upgrade. And if I ever got of my @ss and root the thing, it will be better. Midd thanks for the info. And thanks for offering to help with the rooting. You'll be sorry you asked with Jaydee and I lighting up your bbm
    Nah, I won't be sorry. It's not that hard to root it.
    11-03-11 08:26 PM
    Nah, I won't be sorry. It's not that hard to root it.
    Cool
    Then I'm going to read up on it. I think you sent me some info on it before
    11-03-11 08:43 PM
    Midd, no Bears fans allowed???? You need to cut me some slack, I am also a Dolphins fan. Hope your phone prices drop for you in the near future. Needless to say, the market has no love for RIM right now. Wow, 70% drop in stock price so far this year.

Jaydee and Hamster, Midd is right about rooting your Nook. It is pretty straight forward. I am running an updated version of Gingerbread off an SD card and it works great. The best part is that I can take the card out and run the Nook on its stock OS, keeping my warranty in place.
    11-03-11 10:14 PM
    Everyone, not to get too personal, but my wife fell down some stairs last night after music practice with friends. She severely bruised some ribs and sprained her right foot. She is really sore and limited in her mobility. Would you mind shooting a few thoughts her way as she recovers?
    11-03-11 10:17 PM
23,186 ... 680681682683684 ...