That's what I finally found myself thinking, even after using the 9930 for a few days. I still have my extended warranty for the 9650, so I can get a replacement if mine dies. I also have the spare insurance-replacement 9650 in the box, so I could easily wait out RIM until the QNX phones finally make it to market.
    yea I agree with standing ground with the 9650. Also when you mentioned your EW, it jogged my memory that I actually have the TEC for the $6bucks mthly in case of anything

On another note girls/guys- if any of you are interested in a Halloween theme, I've been searching high & low this week for one and well, JavaBrat has posted one called 'BerryHaunted' that I just purchased. It is perfect & exactly what I was looking for. If any of you are considering, I'd def give this one a look- I'm thrilled with it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 08:23 PM
    Ok, so Jim, i took a little time this afternoon to go to VzW and check out the 9850. WELL.....i can say how impressed i was with the WAY the touch screen responds-almost exactly to the way the iPhone responds. Overall, i did like the way the phone ran and responded.....BUT the complaint i do have about it is how wonky the trackpad can behave while browsing online, the cursor/arrow tends to have a mind of its own at times and disappear altogether, just like on the 9930. SO with that being said, IF i was to go with this device, right off the bat i would have load the 353 leak to improve this issue, along with the email issues i've read about as well -i also think 99 mentioned loading the 353 leak as well.

Now my next thoughts to myself were, do i really want to get into an all touch device again? I'm having 2nd thoughts honestly after messing with the 9850 in store today...... After having the S2, which the touch-click screen was a bit different- i was ready to launch that POS to the moon after just using it for a few mths. IDK if i'd be the same with the 9850 OR the iPhone for that fact. At this point right now, sticking with my 9650 is what i'm going to do until i REALLY have to consider getting another device. I've even thought of purchasing a 2nd 9650 to have stashed for when mine starts to deminish, i could just go to the stashed one

SO thats where i'm at right now and i'm happy my upgrade isn't avail this moment, because i'd be stressing on whether to make a change and upgrade or not......i will not put bank out for the 9930 or 9850 at FRP of $500 a piece, thats just insane to me
    Glad to hear you got to take a look at a 9850. I think we agree on the trackpad issue. The 9930 and 9900 were the same way and I tried 6 diff units. So that said I guess that's the way it is with the os as released. Underway seemed to have no issue at all and he had updated his, so hopefully that would do it. I further agree that updating right out the door is probably the best , most sensible way to go. It just kind if tics me off that anyone should have to put up with the issue of having to update a new device. I would go for the bold tho if I were going for anything. The $545 price for me is laughable and no way I'd do it.
    One further note on the track pad issue tho, The scope of the issue is relative to the person with that device. What one thinks is a prob another might have no quarrel with. After using the 9650 for a year tho I know what a good smooth track pad should be like and that device was smooth as glass. I'd accept no less.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-17-11 09:48 PM
    yea I agree with standing ground with the 9650. Also when you mentioned your EW, it jogged my memory that I actually have the TEC for the $6bucks mthly in case of anything

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I see TEC as betting against yourself. I keep the extended warranty to provide coverage ICO equipment failure, but I decided some time ago to dump TEC. Remember that TEC kicks in if I damage or lose the device. If I lose the phone right away, then it's a good deal. But one of my phones goes missing or has a bath after 15 months, then I've paid $90 for insurance premiums PLUS another $100 for the deductible if I call Asurion. I will have paid $190 to replace a phone that now sells for $100. Hmmm. And if I don't use it, then I've paid $144 for smartphone premiums for the two-year duration of my contract.

Assuming that Big Red and Asurion split the premiums, that's a big chunk of free money for VZW. Kind of like buying undercoating on a new car, or signing up for a service plan from the Geek Squad. I have five smartphones, two not-so-smart phones and a MiFi hotspot. That's $45 per month for phone insurance or over a thousand dollars for two years. Almost makes State Farm's rates look like a good deal. For that, I could buy two brand new smartphones at full retail and break even.

My workaround is to keep a few recently-replaced phones laying around. If the equipment fails, then it's covered by the warranty with no deductible. If I'm careless and drop the phone in water or leave it on top of my car, then I have a replacement already paid for at the house. I'll have to live with the 'stupidity reminder' until my next upgrade, but that one is on me.

Now, sometimes Big Red will sell you a CPO replacement device if you lose or damage your phone and you are not anywhere near an upgrade opportunity. They used to limit that to one time per contract renewal and only for certain phones, normally just smartphones. The price was typically about 80% of the two-year contract price, and was almost always less than the cost of a year's insurance premium and the deductible.
    09-18-11 12:35 AM
    Interesting you bring up insurance. I've never had it ever for any phone and always thought the deductible was to high anyway, it almost made it a wash when compared to getting another device as replacement instead. I've never needed it yet and consider myself self-insured in that regard. I've probably saved alot at the $6/mo rate about $1000 over the years. I like my "assurance" plan best. If I trash a phone I'm assured to get a new one.
    ThePinkChameleon and middbrew like this.
    09-18-11 12:52 AM
    Interesting you bring up insurance. I've never had it ever for any phone and always thought the deductible was to high anyway, it almost made it a wash when compared to getting another device as replacement instead. I've never needed it yet and consider myself self-insured in that regard. I've probably saved alot at the $6/mo rate about $1000 over the years. I like my "assurance" plan best. If I trash a phone I'm assured to get a new one.
    I used to pay for insurance, but gave it up several years ago after I did the math. It wasn't so bad with just the phones for me and my wife and the $50 deductible, but the bill got a lot higher when I added phones for a few of the kids and then Asurion doubled the deductible.

As for the extended warranty (EW), I typically wait until the manufacturer's warranty is set to expire, then I order up the EW from VZW. I've been able to add it at any time so long as the phone is still covered by the manufacturer. I don't see any point in paying for the EW when the regular warranty is still in effect. Once I start the EW, I keep it going until I replace the phone. If the phone stops working, I want it replaced. If I do something to it to make it stop, then I just activate the spare. It's not that I mind replacing a phone. I just want it to be my choice WRT when I do it, not signing a new contract because my phone is dead.
    09-18-11 01:27 AM
    99 & Jim, you both bring up good points with the insurance as far as money over time goes. I've had TEC since getting my 9650 in Dec2010 and its really the first ph i've ever put TEC on. Even when i had my 8330 and S2 i only had the EW@$1.99/mthly I think i may re-consider the amt of ins i have on my 9650 and drop down to the EW $1.99/mthly instead. i'm going to make a call to VzW before i make changes and see what i feel comfortable with

Jim, as far as the TP function goes on the 9930/9850, as we've agreed on - its wonky and seems to be how the newer OS functions as far as using a TP. I agree 110% that the 9650 TP function is terrific again, having to load up a leaked OS out of the box to get it to function better is ridiculous.
    09-18-11 08:40 AM
    I have never had the insurance or EW for any phone. I'm with Jim in that if my phone craps out I will get another one. I can always get one off of eBay or Craigslist a lot cheaper than I would have to pay for the insurance and I have never needed to use an EW.
    cbreze likes this.
    09-18-11 10:29 AM
    I don't mind paying for the EW for at least the length of the contract term. I want a working phone until I have the choice to buy another on a discount.

I have used the EW several times, for trackball or trackpad issues on my BB, and for a speaker issue with my daughter's eNv. I figure it's cheaper than TEC. A year of EW is $24. I can't replace the phone for that, the refurb phone will have a warranty, and I know the ESN and PIN will be clear. No Craigslist craps or eBay roulette for me.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-18-11 at 01:29 PM.
    09-18-11 12:40 PM
    99 & Jim, you both bring up good points with the insurance as far as money over time goes. I've had TEC since getting my 9650 in Dec2010 and its really the first ph i've ever put TEC on. Even when i had my 8330 and S2 i only had the EW@$1.99/mthly I think i may re-consider the amt of ins i have on my 9650 and drop down to the EW $1.99/mthly instead. i'm going to make a call to VzW before i make changes and see what i feel comfortable with

Jim, as far as the TP function goes on the 9930/9850, as we've agreed on - its wonky and seems to be how the newer OS functions as far as using a TP. I agree 110% that the 9650 TP function is terrific again, having to load up a leaked OS out of the box to get it to function better is ridiculous.
    Maybe so, but how is it any different from having the carrier reload the OS before it's delivered to you? I don't really see the issue here. Would I like to see a better OS preloaded? Yes. It's not a dealbreaker for me, though.

It might hurt RIM, though, if the vast majority of OS7 customers and/or the carrier CSRs don't realize what has to be done to make the devices run like they should. At some point, the carriers will have to load a better OS on those phones before they get shipped out the door.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-18-11 at 01:59 PM.
    09-18-11 12:51 PM
    Maybe so, but how is it any different from having the carrier reload the OS before it's delivered to you? I don't really see the issue here. Would I like to see a better OS preloaded? Yes. It's not a dealbreaker for me, though.

It might hurt RIM, though, if the vast majority of OS7 customers and/or the carrier CSRs don't realize what has to be done to make the devices run like they should. At some point, the carriers will have to load a better OS on those phones before they get shipped out the door.
    It would not be a deal breaker for me either, but I'm savvy as to what to do to get the new os. It just pisses me off on principal. I know people who use BB's daily for their jobs and personal and don't even know about battery pull fixes. These folks just expect them to work outta the box. Furthermore, they would return them to Verizon if they had an issue and the techs there need to be clued in as to how to fix them. I don't know why they don't have that leaked os at the ready and install it for customers rather than just give them another device with maybe the same issues.
    This hurts RIM in a big way, because these customers are being driven away to other platforms. Once apple or android gets ahold of them and they get a device that works out the door they may never be back. RIM needs to keep their customers satisfied before they become dissatisfied.
    09-18-11 02:43 PM
    It would not be a deal breaker for me either, but I'm savvy as to what to do to get the new os. It just pisses me off on principal. I know people who use BB's daily for their jobs and personal and don't even know about battery pull fixes. These folks just expect them to work outta the box. Furthermore, they would return them to Verizon if they had an issue and the techs there need to be clued in as to how to fix them. I don't know why they don't have that leaked os at the ready and install it for customers rather than just give them another device with maybe the same issues.
    This hurts RIM in a big way, because these customers are being driven away to other platforms. Once apple or android gets ahold of them and they get a device that works out the door they may never be back. RIM needs to keep their customers satisfied before they become dissatisfied.
    I agree. RIM will be much better able to fix these kinds of issues when the QNX phones are released. Depending on the carriers to approve and release an OS change is ludicrous. There is no reason that RIM or a carrier tech should not be able to push new software. Let the carriers push their own stuff over or along with the OS, but the OS and the carrier crap should be different animals.
    09-18-11 03:29 PM

99, i think you may have misunderstood what i was trying to say about the OS and having to re-load it out of box with a leak to function. In Jim's post below in what i highlighted is what i was referring to this.

i feel the same on what Jim says here(in pink)
    perhaps when i was posting before, it didnt come out that way what the deal breaker for me is i won't pay FRP to get the device and jump through hoops to get it to work.....now by the time my upgrade comes avail(aug2012), i would *think* the 9930 would be lower in price, lower than the 249 theyre offering now i would hope and then at that point, i dont think i would mind paying for it and having to play with the OS IF by that time they don't have something more stable loaded & shipped on it.

i also agree as far as it hurting RIM in regards to the point you make about this driving users to other platforms.(in green)
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 09-18-11 at 05:41 PM.
    09-18-11 05:39 PM
    I have never had the insurance or EW for any phone. I'm with Jim in that if my phone craps out I will get another one. I can always get one off of eBay or Craigslist a lot cheaper than I would have to pay for the insurance and I have never needed to use an EW.
    i've never used ebay or craiglist to purchase anything. a few people i know have been screwed over, so just that alone has deterred me from ever seeking out using either of them. But thats just me I'm sure other people use either or both faithfully and have great luck with it.
    09-18-11 05:45 PM
    i've never used ebay or craiglist to purchase anything. a few people i know have been screwed over, so just that alone has deterred me from ever seeking out using either of them. But thats just me I'm sure other people use either or both faithfully and have great luck with it.
    Yeah they don't come without certain risk. I've only bought new on ebay and only with trusted seller status, never had issues. Craigslist makes me nervous, never bought there. Best place to buy imo is from forum sites where you are a trusted member, buying from another trusted member and you both have good feedback. I've bought and sold loads of devices for years that way. never had any issue. These days I just want a device to work and stick to one. Used to change em up all the time from a collection of various platforms and different devices. Was on GSM network back then and sim swapping made it so easy. I had my 9650 for a year, that was long enough for it to be feeling mundane and ordinary. Wanted a new bold really bad until they came out. Just left a bad taste I can't shake. I'm very content where I'm at. Next summer I'll be gettin' that itch again.
    09-18-11 06:58 PM
    Yeah they don't come without certain risk. I've only bought new on ebay and only with trusted seller status, never had issues. Craigslist makes me nervous, never bought there. Best place to buy imo is from forum sites where you are a trusted member, buying from another trusted member and you both have good feedback. I've bought and sold loads of devices for years that way. never had any issue. These days I just want a device to work and stick to one. Used to change em up all the time from a collection of various platforms and different devices. Was on GSM network back then and sim swapping made it so easy. I had my 9650 for a year, that was long enough for it to be feeling mundane and ordinary. Wanted a new bold really bad until they came out. Just left a bad taste I can't shake. I'm very content where I'm at. Next summer I'll be gettin' that itch again.
    agreed Jim. I also used to be the 'queen of switch ups' in my household...changing phs like it was my job LOL. then when i got my first bb, a pink 8330, i had it for close to 2yrs before i even considered the S2. Needless to say my kids & the hubby were shocked LOL and honestly once i've moved onto my 9650, i have no desire to change phones either. I briefly went thru a phase to get the iPhone, but i think that wore off because my 9650 functions so well as is so why should i go through hoops to get another device and so on. My mind does change like the wind, so next week if i'm talking crazy about switching phones again-just knock me upside the head LOL

g'morn everyone, hope you all had a great w/end Boooooy, has it gotten chilly here in the east the past few days. leaves are a changin' - fall solstice is upon us already
    09-19-11 07:43 AM
    agreed Jim. I also used to be the 'queen of switch ups' in my household...changing phs like it was my job LOL. then when i got my first bb, a pink 8330, i had it for close to 2yrs before i even considered the S2. Needless to say my kids & the hubby were shocked LOL and honestly once i've moved onto my 9650, i have no desire to change phones either. I briefly went thru a phase to get the iPhone, but i think that wore off because my 9650 functions so well as is so why should i go through hoops to get another device and so on. My mind does change like the wind, so next week if i'm talking crazy about switching phones again-just knock me upside the head LOL

g'morn everyone, hope you all had a great w/end Boooooy, has it gotten chilly here in the east the past few days. leaves are a changin' - fall solstice is upon us already
    Thats like my situation. I used to have a new phone every 6 months until I got my first blackberry. It was a t-mobile blackberry bold 9700 but I had switched carriers and came to verizon. When I came to verizon I switched over to droid due to having droid mania. My brother had a droid and I loved everything it did, until I used my girlfriends blackberry and forgot how much I missed having a keyboard and I'm the type that texts alot and virtual keyboards just don't do you justice. So now I am back to a blackberry bold 9650 and i am here to stay. lol. or at least until they release a better blackberry that I like, then I'm moving to that device.
    09-19-11 09:21 AM
    Morning Ramblers!
    Pink, glad you have given us the right to slap you upside the head....LMAO.
    That's a dAngerous thing to say around this crowd!!! lol
    however, i hear what youre saying. The more i think about a new phone, the more i think i want to keep my 9650. if it breaks then i gotta find another one. i might skip these new phones entirely, since they won't be new by the time i can switch....

excuse misspellings today please. wearing gloves to protect my manicure as i open boxes and stopped to say hello!!!

only 189 more boxes to go!!!!!
    09-19-11 09:26 AM
    My mind does change like the wind, so next week if i'm talking crazy about switching phones again-just knock me upside the head LOL
    So, do we need to stand in line (first come first severed) for this or is it by invitation only?

I'm guessing being with Alltel I have it easier. The 9650 was the best BlackBerry they had and they stopped carrying it. Now the best is the 9670 Style. So, I have no choice but to stick with my 9650, not that I mind I really like it too. That and I have a year and a half left on my contract.
    09-19-11 10:14 AM
    A little trivia for everyone today. It was on this day exactly 366 days ago (we will call it one year for the sake of argument) that OS6 leaked for the 9650.
    09-19-11 10:20 AM
    True ! What did I win ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-19-11 12:11 PM
    So, do we need to stand in line (first come first severed) for this or is it by invitation only?
    Ha, Ha, What part do we get severed?? OUCH!! Nice typo midd
    09-19-11 12:25 PM
    Morning Ramblers!
    Pink, glad you have given us the right to slap you upside the head....LMAO.
    That's a dAngerous thing to say around this crowd!!! lol
    however, i hear what youre saying. The more i think about a new phone, the more i think i want to keep my 9650. if it breaks then i gotta find another one. i might skip these new phones entirely, since they won't be new by the time i can switch....

excuse misspellings today please. wearing gloves to protect my manicure as i open boxes and stopped to say hello!!!

only 189 more boxes to go!!!!!

I'm guessing being with Alltel I have it easier. The 9650 was the best BlackBerry they had and they stopped carrying it. Now the best is the 9670 Style. So, I have no choice but to stick with my 9650, not that I mind I really like it too. That and I have a year and a half left on my contract.
    WOW !! you guys are brutal SHEESH !! i thought for sure i'd get words of understanding and not words of taking me up on it LMAO !! ok, ok, guess the number im thinking and if you guess it, you'll get a b!tch slappin turn

Jaydee & Midd, as far as upgrade time, i'm not due till Aug2012 BUT even still i may consider the 9930 at that point. I mean honestly, last year my upgrade was ready in August2010 and i took my time to decide before purchasing the 9650 in Dec.2010--by that time the 9650 was out how long? idek. Since June 2010? I know by next Aug the 9930 will be a yr old, but depending on what RIM is offering at that time with possibly QNX around the corner, i may still go for it. I'm not usually the type to have to have the latest and greatest unless i'm completely blown away by the functions. i think if the 9930 impressed me that much and felt it was alot more of an upgrade to my 9650, i wouldve stole my daughtrs upgrade this coming Nov to get it. but it turned out not to be for me.

btw Midd, one of my Bil's got the Style in July(?)(sprint user) and i was talking to him about it--he is clueless on the functions of the whole bb thing. *face palm* He knows how to use bbm, he texts, calls & thats about it-- IDET he uses the browser at all. but i was just shooting the sh!te with him and he had a blank stare on his face.....Not that i'm a genius by far but i was just talking basic stuff that we do with ours ya know? IDK !! i did look at it quickly and it seems nice, but not my 'style' of bb

Oh and Jim--just like your Bil (was it?), my Bil is clueless to the whole 3 finger salute and battery pull thing too.......
    09-19-11 12:31 PM
    Ha, Ha, What part do we get severed?? OUCH!! Nice typo midd
    LMAO !! i missed reading that typo !! HAHAHA !!!
    babytazz18 likes this.
    09-19-11 12:33 PM
    HAHA! This is a tough crowd!
    babytazz18 likes this.
    09-19-11 01:02 PM
    I'm with you Pink, my upgrade is not due until Aug 2012 also, so I will wait and see what's around...if I remember correctly, we got ours at the same time last year in Dec although this is my first BB EVER....

Tough crowd yes. Remind me never to give you guys the chance...ha hahahahahah
    09-19-11 01:08 PM
23,186 ... 660661662663664 ...