I see there was athread on VZW new throttling plan being discussed over in the VZW section. It was several month old, but I couldn't resist in bringing it back to life. lol
    +++^. Yeah, I noticed. BTW, I felt like my speeds were way down yesterday around 4pm here. That just happens to be a time when I'm using and it's never been that slow. I am at the 2.5 gb amount used with 9 days to go.
    It really gripes the crap out of me to see them push all these data heavy applications and tout them as the thing to have then charge up the arse for the data to run them. What about the NFL app? Isn't that something that's left running alot? I don't use it, but I do like to watch news videos from around the world and stay informed. Another data intensive activity.
    09-15-11 11:48 AM

on another note, have any of you guys/gals seen the 9850 forum lately and the issues arising more with the email/browser Jim i saw your post about when will they start a poll of whose worked OOTB and whose didn't !! i nearly died when i saw that !!
    I'm seeing more complainers over there. I think it's taking time for the initial bling to wear off and some are getting tired of the BS and starting to WTF stuff that should not be happening.
    Apps are a big complaint or lack there of.
    Seriously tho for all os-7 is, it's not enough different to warrant getting it for that reason. Imagine os-6 running on that faster processor and having all the apps already in place. 9850 forum has a thread comparing it to the storm2 and how the storm 2 is better. I never had one, but I tried one in store once. Wow, it just seemed like a massive ***** pulled by RIM releasing that pos. But to say the new 9850 is not as good really disses the 9850 imo.
    If RIM doesn't pull a rabbit out of their hat with the QNX devices, and they better be solid and stable then I really think they will not be able to compete anymore. I hope the rabbit gets pulled out for their sake and those of us who love the os and platform.
    09-15-11 12:18 PM
    Pink, I'll direct this at you since you mentioned you were sort of interested in the 9850. I got to play with one today and was way more impressed with it than I was with any of the six 99xx's I tried. The track pad still has issues going around the screen smoothly and has a real issue getting to the upper half of the screen. (all the 99xx's I tried were this way) I believe this is just the way it is and once you get used to it, it'd probably be ok. I typed a bit and had no real issue with the touch kb, but I've been using one for a few months and have gotten decent with it. The browser speed is nice and a bit quicker than my casio, but not on opera, no way. One thing I noticed that would gripe me alot is the touch screen didn't always register my touches and required a track pad navigation to the link to get it to open. That was pretty annoying.
    In any case I'd be interested to hear what you think of it whenever you get around to trying it out. If I was going for a new BB right now I'd pick this over the 9930 for sure. However , that said I'd pass on this just because so many issues are showing up after a few days from what I'm hearing on the forum. Probably after a few more os updates this could be a pretty decent device. IMO it should just work outta the box tho. For 199 with a 2 year and get this, it seems they are pushing a $59 combo pack with it. Comes with a case, headset and charger. I hope it's not the only way to get a charger. A real no-frills phone. "Would you like a charger with that"? LOL!!
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-15-11 at 07:31 PM.
    09-15-11 07:22 PM
    Well, five posts in a row, what the hey, it's rehab. FWIW, I was throttled this afternoon. Unmistakable. To test my suspicions I hooked up to my laptop via my paid hot spot app and then tethered via usb with 2.5 gb already on my monthly "unlimited" plan. What a joke. The tethered speed was so slow I could hardly stand it, so I did a speed test and found the hot spot to be almost exactly twice the speed as the tethered connection. My web browsing on my phone tipped me off, I thought something was wrong. Geezus.... Is this the way it's going to be??? This sucks huge! And already!
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-15-11 at 07:29 PM.
    09-15-11 07:27 PM
    Pink, I'll direct this at you since you mentioned you were sort of interested in the 9850. I got to play with one today and was way more impressed with it than I was with any of the six 99xx's I tried. The track pad still has issues going around the screen smoothly and has a real issue getting to the upper half of the screen. (all the 99xx's I tried were this way) I believe this is just the way it is and once you get used to it, it'd probably be ok. I typed a bit and had no real issue with the touch kb, but I've been using one for a few months and have gotten decent with it. The browser speed is nice and a bit quicker than my casio, but not on opera, no way. One thing I noticed that would gripe me alot is the touch screen didn't always register my touches and required a track pad navigation to the link to get it to open. That was pretty annoying.

In any case I'd be interested to hear what you think of it whenever you get around to trying it out. If I was going for a new BB right now I'd pick this over the 9930 for sure. However , that said I'd pass on this just because so many issues are showing up after a few days from what I'm hearing on the forum. Probably after a few more os updates this could be a pretty decent device. IMO it should just work outta the box tho. For 199 with a 2 year and get this, it seems they are pushing a $59 combo pack with it. Comes with a case, headset and charger. I hope it's not the only way to get a charger. A real no-frills phone. "Would you like a charger with that"? LOL!!

I tried to look at one today. It took the guy at a corporate store 15 minutes to find the only 9850 in the store. Then he told me that it had a slower processor than the Bold and that it was not global-capable. He wouldn't install the battery either. I finally left when I couldn't convince him that the 9850 shares the same processor and memory with the 9930. He couldn't grasp that the 9930 is also Bold, like my 9650 that he was comparing the 9850 to. I told him that I'd order one online.

From what I saw, it feels very nice. More solid than I expected from reading the complaints. OBTW, the 9850 I saw this morning also came packaged with a 16GB microSD card. No case, though, and although it's global-capable and ships with a SIM, it doesn't come with a global charger. Same as the 9930. What's up with that?

Oh, and it still ships with 254. Almost a month after 353 fell from BB heaven and Big Red is still shipping with 254. Hmm.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-15-11 at 08:57 PM.
    09-15-11 08:04 PM
    Ha,Ha, the one I looked at needed a reboot and when I took off the battery cover it set off an alarm on their security system, oops.
    so underway, your going to order a torch? Looking forward to your impressions then. I like my Casio to much, a BB would seem to much of a downgrade.
    09-15-11 09:03 PM
    Ha,Ha, the one I looked at needed a reboot and when I took off the battery cover it set off an alarm on their security system, oops.
    so underway, your going to order a torch? Looking forward to your impressions then. I like my Casio to much, a BB would seem to much of a downgrade.
    No, I just wanted to have a reason to talk with the store manager as I walked out. The guy I got asked the other three folks on the floor about the 9850. One person remembered seeing a training lesson a few weeks back. Beyond that, all I got was a combined blank stare.

If I order a Torch, it'll be after my 9650 gives up, like I planned after the 9930 experience. If I WERE to buy one of those OS7 phones, I'd buy it online and then I'd be wiping it and loading 353 before even activating the phone.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-16-11 at 12:20 AM.
    09-15-11 10:27 PM
    No, I just wanted to have a reason to talk with the store manager as I walked out. The guy I got asked the other three folks on the floor about the 9850. One guy remembered seeing a training lesson a few weeks back. Beside that, all I got was a combined blank stare.

If I order a Torch, it'll be after my 9650 gives up, like I planned after the 9930 experience. If I WERE to buy one of those OS7 phones, I'd buy it online and then I'd be wiping it and loading 353 before even activating the phone.
    Ahhh, gotcha. When I go in to one of the corp stores I juat want to check stuff out on my own. I don't talk to those guys, gotta take a number to do that anyway. I found out how to get one to come over immediately tho. Take off the battery cover and set the alarm off. They are jonny on the spot then. The corp stores around here have a very good selection of BB's. One whole area devoted to BB exclusively and they had 2 bolds on display and 1 torch. A bunch of curves, boy do those look and feel cheap. All their stuff is hooked up to the full network also. Makes it nice.
    Seen the latest on the 9850 thread. Cold is now the new BB killer. Geez, what next??
    09-16-11 12:18 AM
    Ahhh, gotcha. When I go in to one of the corp stores I juat want to check stuff out on my own. I don't talk to those guys, gotta take a number to do that anyway. I found out how to get one to come over immediately tho. Take off the battery cover and set the alarm off. They are jonny on the spot then. The corp stores around here have a very good selection of BB's. One whole area devoted to BB exclusively and they had 2 bolds on display and 1 torch. A bunch of curves, boy do those look and feel cheap. All their stuff is hooked up to the full network also. Makes it nice.
    Seen the latest on the 9850 thread. Cold is now the new BB killer. Geez, what next??
    Believe me, I didn't head in there to talk with anybody. I know better than that. I wanted to hold the Torch and maybe even make it work for a moment. Unfortunately there wasn't a Torch on the floor. And just one 9930. I had to ask for somebody to bring a Torch out, hence my interaction with Mr. Gump.

I saw that bit about the cold Torch. How in the world did that get past the CANADIAN design and QA folks? It never gets cold up there...
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-16-11 at 08:44 AM.
    09-16-11 01:53 AM
    Hi everyone

Thx for that post Jim. Idk when I'll be making it overt VzW to check out the 9850. When I do I'll post what I think in here . Now as for that whole 'cold' thread going over there....anyone whose had an S2(myself) would know that the bb touch screens do NOT react if it's cold out especially if you have cold hands....thats another thing I really hated about my S2 also. So to say the least I wasn't shocked to see that thread started about the users that have never used a touch screen bb before.

On another note, my bb gave me a run for my money last night and boy was I p!seed & stressed !!

Ok, so I dwld fish loader on Wed to try to get time to do my 5 themes I wanted to convert.
    Wed night I purchased a theme(lady leopard) set rebooted and all was well. Yesterday late afternoon, 5ish, I see there's an update for that theme and I was using it as well. So I go to bb app world and dwld the update, reboot. Now I lost the cursor that hovers on the home screen icons so I notified the dev. BUT what started happening a short time after.....the theme started to behave oddly so I set another theme. Deleted it, reinstalled and set it again. I tried this3 times, yes that's how much I love this theme. What happened is it took on the home screen of the os6 simple chic pink theme I had set, mixed the icons AND was behaving like the Lady Leopard theme that I was trying to use I thought sure my bb was gonna get a 507. It didn't.

After 2 hrs of back and forth I found it was FishLoader causing me the problems. Idk why ! I deleted it set the theme, rebooted and it's running fine now, except for the home screen Hoover which the dev said she's going to update. But I can use the menu button to access my icons. I'll deal with that for now. this is very similar to the issues I had with a couple of themes when I was using FileScout and had to ditch it. SO I guess no FishLoader for Pink and creating jads ! Oh well ! Sh!te happens. I'm just happy to have this theme back I really like it that much I would've seriously been upset (I know pathetic right?) if I couldn't get this theme going again......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 07:31 AM
    Pink,
    sorry that FishLoader was giving you problems. as you know, all BBs are different and I have not had any trouble with it at all. In fact, I was very excited to make a handful of jads that allowed me to delete 5 themes from my bb and subsequently give me some memory back!

I wish all themes and apps would play nice....

FishLoader is one helluva app and I am glad I can use it! I know Hamster is too! We talked about it on the phone a few days ago...
    09-16-11 08:23 AM
    thx for the condolences Jaydee, lol. I know all bbs react differently and it sux that my bb got indigestion from that app as I was looking forward to creating a few jads myself, but oh well....

09-16-11 10:39 AM
    I had the spontaneous reboot for the first time yesterday, after using FishLoader for the first time. After the boot, everything worked though. A little indigestion here, too?

I'm loading the new OSBB hybrid as we speak. Maybe a new OS will cure the ills here...
    09-16-11 10:54 AM
    I had the spontaneous reboot for the first time yesterday, after using FishLoader for the first time. After the boot, everything worked though. A little indigestion here, too?

I'm loading the new OSBB hybrid as we speak. Maybe a new OS will cure the ills here...
    Maybe the new OS will allow NFL Mobile to work???.....
    09-16-11 11:04 AM
    For $10 per month, I'm not sure I'd want it to work.

Now, if I buy access for the streaming apps from VZW, and it pushes my usage over the 2GB line, will my transfer speed still be throttled? How can they urge more and more consumption and slap you when you actually consume data?
    09-16-11 11:10 AM

Now, if I buy access for the streaming apps from VZW, and it pushes my usage over the 2GB line, will my transfer speed still be throttled? How can they urge more and more consumption and slap you when you actually use data?
    This is one of my biggest gripes about them. It seems very hypocritical on their part until you think their bottom line is to suck as much cash away from us as they can. One does need to be fully informed tho. When I was at Verizon looking at the new BB's I saw a mid 30ish woman with her husband getting herself a new phone and it was far to easy to overhear. She was due an upgrade and couldn't decide after looking for all of 5 minutes, she says "Janie says the iphones are nice, I want to get an iphone. Just like that, no research other than Janie's opinion. No clue that the newer IP5 is on the way and no help from the rep who was glad to sell her the IP4. An uniformed consumer buying blindly. Her no-nothing husband just wanted to get the F out of the store and he'd have taken anything. I wonder if the rep sold her the 2GB data plan. Sheeple, sheesh....
    09-16-11 01:05 PM

Now, if I buy access for the streaming apps from VZW, and it pushes my usage over the 2GB line, will my transfer speed still be throttled? How can they urge more and more consumption and slap you when you actually consume data?
    eh i wasn't going to pay 10 bucks per month. I was going to use the basic version and get it free. As for urging more consumption and then charging for it... BUSINESS.

That's all it is. Business as usual for them. And any other company.
    09-16-11 03:52 PM
    Pink, so you had some trouble with your S2 working in cold weather? I wonder if this is a common issue with touch screens or just a BB qwerk. It's not even cold yet and several folks in the torch forum are having issues with sluggish screens. Maybe the liquid graphics are chillin'. As Underway pointed out RIM is a Canadian co. You'd think they'd notice this issue in testing. Brrrr. cold up there for sure.
    Whenever I can get to moving, my new home will have some pretty chilly winters, have to see what happens. Planning on taking it with me for winter sports fun. My device is supposed to be extra resistant to heat/cold. I read an article that said they were put into freezers for extended periods to test the cold resiliency. Guess I'll find out soon enough, actually not soon enough to suit me.

EDIT: So just thought of something, If your S2 had the cold issue, the new torches are starting to show it, I wonder if/when the 99xx series being touch screen will have this issue? Just thinking out loud. Someone mentioned it's not the phones, but the users cold fingers not registering. Hmmmmm.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-16-11 at 10:28 PM.
    09-16-11 04:56 PM
    hi everyone

Jim, in regards to my S2, yes I had issues in the cold weather-because the way theS2's screen was designed, it almost seemed as if when cold out the screen would sink down a bit making it harder to click what was being typed....now as for having cold hands-it wouldn't work well either because there wasn't any heat coming off your fingers to register your click. Having gloves on made the bb completely useless !!!! So if I ever had to respond to someone, off came the leather or wool gloves to type. IDK if all touch screens are like that, I have an iPad, and the hubby & 1 daughtr the iP4. Ive never had an issue with my iPad, of course I never bring it out in the winter lol. BUT with winter approaching us it will be interesting to hear what those 2 say about the iP4 touch screen in the cold weather. If I hear any complaints il post here and share

Hopefully for you going commando { pun intended }in the colder area your moving too won't leave you out in the cold as far as using the touch screen keypad goes......

BTW, that theme I was having an issue with yea chalk that one up to a loss at this point again. I had it running but then things started to go wonky again. I think the update from V12 to V13 something isn't right. v12 worked for me, V13 my bb does not like !!! so I blew that one away for now i did email the dev and she notified me that she would look into it and do another update --so I'll just have to wait for now....I've never had many issues with my bb with the 100's of themes I've used in the past months but I'm starting to get annoyed. I've found a theme that I truly wanted to stick to using and now I can't. Oh well.....bb's can be a strange thing !!

09-17-11 07:47 AM
    I know when it comes time for me to get a new phone, I will not read anything from the forums. The people who post there have no more to do than trash everything. If you listened to the forum posters you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning! A friend of mine has the 9850 and loves it and there are NO problems. She doesn't post however. In fact, she is so disgusted with everyone on CB, she left. She's on to something...

Have a nice weekend everyone. The leaves are changing in the Northeast...
    09-17-11 08:17 AM
    Jaydee, I do see your point and agree with you & your friend to an extent. BUT I like to be able to come on here and read the reviews, whether nonsense or not, so that IF I decide to move onto either the 9930 or 9850 in the future after some wrinkles have been ironed out, I'd like to have some idea of issues that may or can occur. Most of the time by reading the post that some of these numb nuts write, you can tell whose just a basic chronic complainer nothing satifies them type and who is sincere.

09-17-11 08:31 AM
    FYI, another poster in the OSBB 600v7 hybrid thread reported that the NFL Mobile app doesn't work with this new hybrid. He got the same error as before.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-17-11 at 01:13 PM.
    09-17-11 11:36 AM
    I think reading actual user reviews has some value. It's usually necessary to weed out the stupid comments and the my trackpad is not perfect ones. Some like being unable to answer a call are good to know and when 20 others say they have the same issue then maybe it's really happening. It seems alot of issues are fixed by the upgrade also and how would one know that if one didn't check the thread posts? The user reviews have value , just helps to weed out the d!ckheads.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-17-11 02:00 PM
    Ok, so Jim, i took a little time this afternoon to go to VzW and check out the 9850. WELL.....i can say how impressed i was with the WAY the touch screen responds-almost exactly to the way the iPhone responds. Overall, i did like the way the phone ran and responded.....BUT the complaint i do have about it is how wonky the trackpad can behave while browsing online, the cursor/arrow tends to have a mind of its own at times and disappear altogether, just like on the 9930. SO with that being said, IF i was to go with this device, right off the bat i would have load the 353 leak to improve this issue, along with the email issues i've read about as well -i also think 99 mentioned loading the 353 leak as well.

Now my next thoughts to myself were, do i really want to get into an all touch device again? I'm having 2nd thoughts honestly after messing with the 9850 in store today...... After having the S2, which the touch-click screen was a bit different- i was ready to launch that POS to the moon after just using it for a few mths. IDK if i'd be the same with the 9850 OR the iPhone for that fact. At this point right now, sticking with my 9650 is what i'm going to do until i REALLY have to consider getting another device. I've even thought of purchasing a 2nd 9650 to have stashed for when mine starts to deminish, i could just go to the stashed one

SO thats where i'm at right now and i'm happy my upgrade isn't avail this moment, because i'd be stressing on whether to make a change and upgrade or not......i will not put bank out for the 9930 or 9850 at FRP of $500 a piece, thats just insane to me
    cbreze likes this.
    09-17-11 05:30 PM
    At this point right now, sticking with my 9650 is what i'm going to do until i REALLY have to consider getting another device. I've even thought of purchasing a 2nd 9650 to have stashed for when mine starts to deminish, i could just go to the stashed one

SO thats where i'm at right now and i'm happy my upgrade isn't avail this moment, because i'd be stressing on whether to make a change and upgrade or not......i will not put bank out for the 9930 or 9850 at FRP of $500 a piece, thats just insane to me
    That's what I finally found myself thinking, even after using the 9930 for a few days. I still have my extended warranty for the 9650, so I can get a replacement if mine dies. I also have the spare insurance-replacement 9650 in the box, so I could easily wait out RIM until the QNX phones finally make it to market.
    09-17-11 06:30 PM
23,186 ... 659660661662663 ...