Underway, got a question for you, I've now tried out four 9930's and one 9900. The one constant between all of them is the touchscreen and trackpad combo is really weird. I suppose one could get used to it eventually, but here's my observation: When on a website the cursor will not go to the top of the screen unless I give the track pad a good goosing. However, then it disappears usually and I find it on the bottom of the screen again. Most of the time it will not go past the bottom half of the screen. Is this fixed in the leaked os upgrade, or just the general qwerky-ness of it's movement is fixed?
    My opinion only but from my tryouts the touch pad/cursor and touch screen are constantly fighting each other. It's kind of hard and really frustrating. I'd of smashed all of these with a hammer. RIM doesn't seem to have this down pat yet. Did your upgrade to the leak fix these issues? I feel sorry for anyone who buys one of these and they're not update savvy.
    I've not seen that issue with the cursor needing to be goosed. I've read about it though. There are a few threads in the 9930/9900 section that talk about it.

Yes, the upgrade fixes a lot. Both 9930s were crap with the official 254 OS. The leaked VZW 353 is SO much better that I would highly recommend that it be installed right out of the box, THEN activate the phone. I told the CSR at Big Red that last night. I called to let them know that I had shipped the 9930 back to them, and I got a guy who really wanted to know why I returned it. He was looking at getting one, and I told him what I thought. BTW, he didn't even mention sending me an Android as a replacement! Maybe there's a note on my account...? He also quietly mentioned something about watching the web site for the 9850 very soon now. He said there had been some training, and he'd seen something about it on Crackberry. Hmmm.

I agree the the trackpad/touchscreen combo is yet unpolished. They need to either move the trackpad a little bit south, or deaden the bottom 5mm of the touchscreen. Either one would be an improvement. I'd think that deadening the bottom of the touchscreen would be a software fix, thus more easily accomplished without hardware modification.

I've had the chance to play some more with the 9930 since we kept one, and it is truly a magnificent piece of hardware. I'd have kept it and been very happy if my 9650 really needed replacing. It will, though, and I'll have the 9930 when it does.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-01-11 at 07:00 PM.
    cbreze likes this.
    09-01-11 06:41 PM
    I've not seen that issue with the cursor needing to be goosed. I've read about it though. There are a few threads in the 9930/9900 section that talk about it.

Yes, the upgrade fixes a lot. Both 9930s were crap with the official 254 OS. The leaked VZW 353 is SO much better that I would highly recommend that it be installed right out of the box, THEN activate the phone. I told the CSR at Big Red that last night. I called to let them know that I had shipped the 9930 back to them, and I got a guy who really wanted to know why I returned it. He was looking at getting one, and I told him what I thought. BTW, he didn't even mention sending me an Android as a replacement! Maybe there's a note on my account...? He also quietly mentioned something about watching the web site for the 9850 very soon now. He said there had been some training, and he'd seen something about it on Crackberry. Hmmm.

I agree the the trackpad/touchscreen combo is yet unpolished. They need to either move the trackpad a little bit south, or deaden the bottom 5mm of the touchscreen. Either one would be an improvement. I'd think that deadening the bottom of the touchscreen would be a software fix, thus more easily accomplished without hardware modification.

I've had the chance to play some more with the 9930 since we kept one, and it is truly a magnificent piece of hardware. I'd have kept it and been very happy if my 9650 really needed replacing. It will, though, and I'll have the 9930 when it does.
    Thanks for your response. To me it makes no sense at all to release the phone with an inferior os and shortly thereafter a leak appears that fixes it by leaps and bounds. I mean WTF?! Why not put the better os on it out the door? I guess I'll never get how they think. The average Joe who picks one of these up will be cursing the crap out of it as a POS and throwing it back in Verizon's face. So I suppose some schlup tested it and blew past the trackpad shenanigans and said "yup and gave it an A+ Passing grade, unbelievable!
    I'm done playing with it. To me the store models running 254 are frickin' horrible. And 9900 is the same crap as the 9930. I'd like to try it with the newer, better firmware to get the right idea about it, and when it is officially released I might.
    Thanks for your insight and I'm glad you got the full monty experience by upgrading. If I'd have seen that I'd most likely have a different opinion.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-02-11 at 12:11 AM.
    09-02-11 12:09 AM
    When on a website the cursor will not go to the top of the screen unless I give the track pad a good goosing. However, then it disappears usually and I find it on the bottom of the screen again.
    I wonder if the issue is that when you goose the trackpad, your thumb just barely touches the bottom of the touchscreen and moves the cursor south?

I found that I have to be very careful to make sure that my thumb doesn't overrun the trackpad.
    09-02-11 10:41 AM
    I wonder if the issue is that when you goose the trackpad, your thumb just barely touches the bottom of the touchscreen and moves the cursor south?

I found that I have to be very careful to make sure that my thumb doesn't overrun the trackpad.
    That's probably exactly what I did with the first two. I was much more careful with the next three after hearing about this issue on the forum.
    So even with the newer os you still have to be careful with that? If the new bold had been released sans touch screen I'd have been more interested in it as an upgrade. I'm sure I'm really in the minority about that, best option would be to have it work correctly.
    I'm interested to see how verizon's new torch will operate since it comes with trackpad. Should be out soon.
    I like the pinch to zoom on the 9930 tho, and my casio is that way. As long as I don't zoom to really huge it reformats nicely to a nice column view.
    That was the other really irritating thing with the browser on the 9930. Still way to much scrolling required. Did you try opera mini on it and is it as nice as it was on the 9650?
    EDIT: I see there's a big leap of an official update out for the 9930. Hopefully it will make this bold better and better.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-02-11 at 12:07 PM.
    09-02-11 12:03 PM
    That's probably exactly what I did with the first two. I was much more careful with the next three after hearing about this issue on the forum.
    So even with the newer os you still have to be careful with that? If the new bold had been released sans touch screen I'd have been more interested in it as an upgrade. I'm sure I'm really in the minority about that, best option would be to have it work correctly.
    I'm interested to see how verizon's new torch will operate since it comes with trackpad. Should be out soon.
    I like the pinch to zoom on the 9930 tho, and my casio is that way. As long as I don't zoom to really huge it reformats nicely to a nice column view.
    That was the other really irritating thing with the browser on the 9930. Still way to much scrolling required. Did you try opera mini on it and is it as nice as it was on the 9650?
    EDIT: I see there's a big leap of an official update out for the 9930. Hopefully it will make this bold better and better.
    No, I did not try OM. I really don't have any issue with the new browser.

BTW, the big leap is a keyboard mistake. It is really referring to .340, already leaked. It's not very good, either. Jump directly to .353.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-02-11 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
    09-02-11 12:43 PM
    I just had lunch at a little place we love here in Albany. I had broccoli and shrimp over linguini. How does that sound? Yummy!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Sounds good if you cut the broccoli and linguini out. Lol straight Shrimp.

09-02-11 02:26 PM
    I have the BB Music and it works with the new BBM beta.

I am running the new beta bbm and it is very snappy. No problems at all so far. I have bbm music too. No problems mixing.

09-02-11 02:35 PM
    I have a question for you guys; Midd, Underway, pcgizmo...anyone who understands cod files...

I had to upgrade my NFL Mobile on VZW if I wanted to use it. So I downloaded the new app upgrade and rebooted several times thinking it would eventually work but NOOOOOOOOO.

I get ths error. (I also started a new thread with the info)
    net.rim.device.api.crypto.BlockDecryptor not found.

If I shrunk out what I need, is there a cod I can add back? And if so, where would I find the cod???
    09-04-11 11:57 AM
    I have a question for you guys; Midd, Underway, pcgizmo...anyone who understands cod files...

I had to upgrade my NFL Mobile on VZW if I wanted to use it. So I downloaded the new app upgrade and rebooted several times thinking it would eventually work but NOOOOOOOOO.

I get ths error. (I also started a new thread with the info)
    net.rim.device.api.crypto.BlockDecryptor not found.

If I shrunk out what I need, is there a cod I can add back? And if so, where would I find the cod???
    I shrink the pee living sh** out of my OS and have never seen that error. I'll bet that shrinkage has nothing to do with your issue.

I had to delete and reinstall the app several times to make it work. I thought it might have been something to do with the hybrid I had running. I'm using OSBB v5 over 587.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-04-11 at 12:36 PM.
    09-04-11 12:33 PM
    I shrink the pee living sh** out of my OS and have never seen that error. I'll bet that shrinkage has nothing to do with your issue.

I had to delete and reinstall the app several times to make it work. I thought it might have been something to do with the hybrid I had running. I'm using OSBB v5 over 587.
    OK Underway. I have only deleted it twice. Maybe third time is the charm???
    09-04-11 12:39 PM
    OK Underway. I have only deleted it twice. Maybe third time is the charm???
    I just opened NFLMobile and found that there is ANOTHER upgrade. I just loaded a new one (v2.0.98) last week. I see that there's a 2.0.99 now. Is that the one that caused you grief? I'm downloading it now, really because the old one won't work anyway.
    09-04-11 12:44 PM
    YES 2.0.99 is a beyotch
    09-04-11 12:45 PM
    YES 2.0.99 is a beyotch
    I get the same error. F***!
    09-04-11 12:56 PM
    I get the same error. F***!
    OK so it's the app and not me! Thank god!
    I went to VZW's website and saw exactly what was going to be free still and what would be for the $9.99 a month.

With Directv's NFL to Go, I already get most of what VZW is offering for pay so I will stick with the free version...IF I CAN GET IT TO WORK. Unfortunately, it makes my device lag so badly that I am going to delete it and hopefully someone will come up with a fix. Or an update.
    09-04-11 01:15 PM
    OK so it's the app and not me! Thank god!
    I went to VZW's website and saw exactly what was going to be free still and what would be for the $9.99 a month.

With Directv's NFL to Go, I already get most of what VZW is offering for pay so I will stick with the free version...IF I CAN GET IT TO WORK. Unfortunately, it makes my device lag so badly that I am going to delete it and hopefully someone will come up with a fix. Or an update.
    So video for my 3G BlackBerry will cost $10 per month this year? I'm not sure that it's worth it so I can watch a football game on my 2.4-inch screen.

Last year it was free if you had unlimited data. It might be worth asking Big Red if that still applies. The press release may not have mentioned it because the unlimited data plans are gone.

It may not matter. It doesn't work anyway.
    09-04-11 01:29 PM
    So video for my 3G BlackBerry will cost $10 per month this year? I'm not sure that it's worth it so I can watch a football game on my 2.4-inch screen.

Last year it was free if you had unlimited data. It might be worth asking Big Red if that still applies. The press release may not have mentioned it because the unlimited data plans are gone.

It may not matter. It doesn't work anyway.
    From the VZW website: Basic is and will be FREE...the rest is pay.

Basic Features

Live Audio of All Games (Spanish where available)
    Live Gamecenter with play-by-play breakdowns
    News
    Video Highlights
    Fantasy Tracker
    NFL Schedule
    NFL Rosters
    Team Customization

Premium Features

NFL RedZone*
    NFL Network*
    Live Sunday Night Games*
    Live Monday Night Games*
    Live Thursday Night Games*
    All basic features

*Verizon Video subscription req'd for video content.

With DTV add-on, I get all Thurs and Sun night games, Redzone, NFL Network and all Sunday games. Looks like the only thing NFL Mobile has is the Monday night game. I have a TV. I'll pass on the pay version. But since it doesn't work, I may have to pass on the whole thing!!!
    09-04-11 01:35 PM
    From the VZW website: Basic is and will be FREE...the rest is pay.

Basic Features

Live Audio of All Games (Spanish where available)
    Live Gamecenter with play-by-play breakdowns
    News
    Video Highlights
    Fantasy Tracker
    NFL Schedule
    NFL Rosters
    Team Customization

Premium Features

NFL RedZone*
    NFL Network*
    Live Sunday Night Games*
    Live Monday Night Games*
    Live Thursday Night Games*
    All basic features

*Verizon Video subscription req'd for video content.

With DTV add-on, I get all Thurs and Sun night games, Redzone, NFL Network and all Sunday games. Looks like the only thing NFL Mobile has is the Monday night game. I have a TV. I'll pass on the pay version. But since it doesn't work, I may have to pass on the whole thing!!!
    Look -- something for nothing! I just dumped the app and got back 6.2MB!
    09-04-11 01:40 PM
    That cod is not found in any of the OSs, so I'm guessing it is specific to the NFL Mobile app. If you have a back up copy of the old app I would see if the missing cod is there and just BBSAK it in.
    09-04-11 01:48 PM
    I just downloaded NFL with the OTA downloader in the BBHybrids tool. It contains 115 COD files, named "nflmobile_vzw_blk-1.cod" through "nflmobile_vzw_blk-115.cod", along with nflmobile_vzw_blk.cod.

According to the BlackBerry Developer's site, this block decryption scheme is only available to signed apps.

Category:
    Signed: This element is only accessible by signed clients. If you intend to use this element, please contact RIM to establish the necessary agreements that will allow you to have your COD files signed. Signing is only required for use on the device, development under the JDE can occur without signing the CODs.

RIM Device Java Library: Class BlockDecryptor

Notice how the description says that "(s)igning is only required for use on the device, development under the JDE can occur without signing the CODs." Do you suppose this was released without thorough testing? Kind of like Big Red's official 254 OS for the 9930?
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-04-11 at 03:22 PM.
    09-04-11 03:00 PM
    Funny you did the same thing I did...downloaded all the sep cods for the app! But alas, it didn't help me much. I also looked up the error message with google but did not understand what it said really. I went to vzw's website and posted my problem there. Maybe someone will see it and offer a solution?

Shall I call vzw? I love talking to them! Rollyeyes alert!

09-04-11 06:25 PM
    Funny you did the same thing I did...downloaded all the sep cods for the app! But alas, it didn't help me much. I also looked up the error message with google but did not understand what it said really. I went to vzw's website and posted my problem there. Maybe someone will see it and offer a solution?

Shall I call vzw? I love talking to them! Rollyeyes alert!

I had looked at VZW's forums earlier today when I was still trying to make NFL Mobile work and saw your post. I'll bet that this thread gets a bit more traffic than VZW's...

If I understand the developer page, the CODs must be signed/authenticated before that decryption element is available. I suspect that if the app isn't signed, then it can't be decrypted, and therefore won't run. It could be that the developer tested it in their development environment where the COD is not required to be signed and then released it without signing the app.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-04-11 at 11:14 PM.
    09-04-11 07:13 PM
    Well, the VZW folks will be getting a call tomorrow from me i believe so i can beyotch about the app.

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day and stayed safe from the rains....

I just realized that in the past 2 weeks my city has been through an earthquake, a flood, a hurricane and a tornado. I have had enough of weather...
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-05-11 06:30 PM
    Well, the VZW folks will be getting a call tomorrow from me i believe so i can beyotch about the app.

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day and stayed safe from the rains....

I just realized that in the past 2 weeks my city has been through an earthquake, a flood, a hurricane and a tornado. I have had enough of weather...
    i'm with ya on those thoughts about the weather Jaydee.....same here for us, but minus the tornado !!

it has just been totally nutzo today.......as always, the day before school will be back in session, theres (millions)something(s) that need to be done last minute--it makes me looney i've finally got a chance to sit down just now, and i'm going to go browsing for some themes and see what i'll be interested in downloading i think something PINK will be in order thanks to the help from 2 of Santas'elvettes' lol

hope everyone enjoyed their labor day w/end also

OH !! i almost forgot i went to VzW on Friday night(or maybe it was Saturday) to check out the 9930......and well pretty much what Jim and 99 summed up-its quick & i loved the larger screen BUT boy oh boy was the trackpad and touchscreen every so quirky, while just on the home page or using the browser. In the browser, the 'cursor' disappeared on me sooo many damn times, and then using it at times the 'cursor' would just go looney all over the place.......it had .254(?) on it. Oh well....i'll wait for the 9850 on VzW to be released and check that out and see where i'll go from there !!
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 09-05-11 at 07:58 PM.
    09-05-11 07:55 PM
    Pink-good to hear from you again! I haven't bothered to go to Vzw to check out any of the new phones. I love my 9650 so that I couldn't see parting with it so soon. I dunno. I guess I will have to make a decision at some point. But what I really wanna do is keep this phone and buy a playbook to go with it!!! Maybe I will investigate that possibility. I really want a tablet...and although I love my macbook pro I think I'd rather stick to keeping my phone and adding a PB. ??? Don't know if that's a plan or not. Right now I'm broke so nothing new coming to me right now!!!!!
    09-05-11 08:04 PM
    Hey Jaydee !!

well, i'm not really ready to replace my 9560 atm, but with allllll the hoopla about the new bold touch, i had some time to kill so i spent about 30-45mins messing with it. and i'm still so undecided on whether to stay bb or go iOS or not. just as you say, right now my bb is running every so nicely so i'm not making any financial moves on a purchase that i may regret 2mths down the road.

as for the PB, i actually have my iPad(1stgen) that i LOVE to death !! ive even dwld the Optinum app and i watch tv on it at night

so, i stay where my feet are planted at right now till i really feel the urge or need to change my device.

EDIT: OMG !!! i just dwld the T E X T pink theme.....i'm over the moon with this theme !! WoWoW!! it is SAAAAWEEEEET !!
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 09-05-11 at 08:19 PM.
    09-05-11 08:16 PM
23,186 ... 654655656657658 ...