Didn't know you got the 9930. I have now checked out three different ones at two diff stores and found the 3rd to be the best representative of all. The 2nd froze up on the browser immediately, CSR had to come do a battery pull. LOL! The 3rd one was lots better, but something I noticed was the cursor when moving the trackpad won't go to the top 3rd of the screen unless I give it a turbo boost with my thumb and then it's all the way to the address bar which curiously enough I could not activate with a touch, had to use the trackpad. Is yours that way? The rest of the time it worked pretty smooth which was a real change from the first two.
    Is there any noticible diff between os 6 and 7? I'm not really seeing it. The browser is faster, but also, underway can you reformat the text after a zoom in? I wasn't able to do that. Big downer imo. Looks like it needs opera mini.
    I gave in when my wife wanted a larger screen. Of course, I HAD to get two. $199 each.

One of the biggest issues I have with this 9930 is the battery. The discharge rate is easily double that of my 9650, and that's with every power saving trick that I know. I have the screen brightness at 10%, GPS and WiFi secured, and the screen is locked when in the holster. It takes nothing to activate the screen -- it seems that this thing is always on. The radio seems to be a notch below the 9650 (w/476 radio from 587). The signal varies widely from place to place even inside the house. I've found dead spots around town where I had full signal with the 9650. My wife's 9930 has the same signal and battery issues. Hers has the stock VZW 254 OS, where mine has the leaked VZW 353.

This thing is smooth. And fast. But I don't think I'm keeping mine. It's just not different enough or fast enough or smooth enough to replace my perfectly-working 9650. Like I said earlier, the 9930 would make a great replacement for a dead 9650. But I just don't think it's worth it's worth my cash or my upgrade just for something new that isn't really all that new.

No, BTW, I can't reformat browser text after zooming. And I agree with your earlier comment about the phone being too thin. It almost feels fragile compared against the solid 9650. And your comment on reloading out of the box is dead on. I had to reload both to get them working right. My wife's 9930 out of the box couldn't be registered with her BlackBerry ID (which she already had), and I couldn't get the wallpaper changed. It would change back to the default when awakened, and would go to a black background after being connected to the USB. Wipe and reload fixed that. Mine just plain didn't work very well. It would boot, but was slow, and I couldn't get software loaded on it. I spent 30 minutes after the reload getting my wife's phone up and running. My phone took seven hours. Out of the box.

Hmmm.
    Last edited by Underway99; 08-27-11 at 10:45 AM.
    08-26-11 10:08 PM
    I gave in when my wife wanted a larger screen. One of the biggest issues I have with this 9930 is the battery. The discharge rate is easily double that of my 9650, and that's with every power saving trick that I know. I have the screen brightness at 10%, GPS and WiFi secured, and the screen is locked when in the holster. It takes nothing to activate the screen -- it seems that this thing is always on.
    I'm hearing the bad battery life on the 9930 is only with the VZW handsets. Sprint users are say they are getting just as good as with their 9650s. Go figure, the biggest carrier has the worst battery issues.
    08-27-11 10:47 AM
    Poor battery life is a bad sign. I thought my 9650 had bad battery life. So bad, I bought an extended battery. If this one is worse, that would be a deal-breaker for me. Keep us posted on what happens to you Underway. All very good info. Thanks!
    08-27-11 11:46 AM
    Battery is much better on both devices today. Go figure.

I keep hearing that "conditioning" a Li-Ion battery is nonsense. Maybe not?
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-27-11 12:06 PM
    I gave in when my wife wanted a larger screen. Of course, I HAD to get two. $199 each.

One of the biggest issues I have with this 9930 is the battery. The discharge rate is easily double that of my 9650, and that's with every power saving trick that I know. I have the screen brightness at 10%, GPS and WiFi secured, and the screen is locked when in the holster. It takes nothing to activate the screen -- it seems that this thing is always on. The radio seems to be a notch below the 9650 (w/476 radio from 587). The signal varies widely from place to place even inside the house. I've found dead spots around town where I had full signal with the 9650. My wife's 9930 has the same signal and battery issues. Hers has the stock VZW 254 OS, where mine has the leaked VZW 353.

This thing is smooth. And fast. But I don't think I'm keeping mine. It's just not different enough or fast enough or smooth enough to replace my perfectly-working 9650. Like I said earlier, the 9930 would make a great replacement for a dead 9650. But I just don't think it's worth it's worth my cash or my upgrade just for something new that isn't really all that new.

No, BTW, I can't reformat browser text after zooming. And I agree with your earlier comment about the phone being too thin. It almost feels fragile compared against the solid 9650. And your comment on reloading out of the box is dead on. I had to reload both to get them working right. My wife's 9930 out of the box couldn't be registered with her BlackBerry ID (which she already had), and I couldn't get the wallpaper changed. It would change back to the default when awakened, and would go to a black background after being connected to the USB. Wipe and reload fixed that. Mine just plain didn't work very well. It would boot, but was slow, and I couldn't get software loaded on it. I spent 30 minutes after the reload getting my wife's phone up and running. My phone took seven hours. Out of the box.

Hmmm.
    Thanks for your post. I'm actually quite a fan of the BB devices and operating system contrary to what some of the other non "ramblers" might think. My 9650 served me very well and did what I needed. I was excited as anyone to test drive the 9930 and was considering paying full coin for it. Then it was released and my opinion really changed. Ya know the way people have been knocking RIM has actually been pretty brutal and I was pained to see it, but geez... this release is over the top with issues both hard and soft ware related. It took you 7 hours to get a working device out of the box? Unbelievable and your a tinkerer with experience loading and reloading. Imagine the average Joe just wanting to upgrade his BB to the latest and greatest. There are far more of these types of users than crackberry heads. I wonder how many trips to the corp store or calling 611 it would take? And their solution....We'll send you another. Great. Will this one be ok? Hmmmmm....Maybe. At least it might have different issues. And all the battery saving tweaking adjustments? Thats just not right. The QC seems pretty badly lacking for the RIM boys. I'm really starting to get concerned for the long awaited QNX devices. Rim is just blowing it bad. It's amazing what everybody is putting up with over on the 9900/9930 forum. Well, my backspace key stopped working, my screen lost it's sensitivity,my on/off button fell off, I constantly have random reboots, etc, etc it's amazing and the biggest response to fix it is "what os are you running" "just reload the os". Well Excuse me, but I'm running the os that came from the factory on my $550 device. It should work. Ha!, Yeah ya think??
    Underway, return that turd and go back to a solid 9650. Less stress.
    Sorry if this sounds ranting, because it is I guess. RIM just pisses me off lately. A nice device, poorly constructed.
    08-27-11 03:52 PM
    Thanks for your post. I'm actually quite a fan of the BB devices and operating system contrary to what some of the other non "ramblers" might think. My 9650 served me very well and did what I needed. I was excited as anyone to test drive the 9930 and was considering paying full coin for it. Then it was released and my opinion really changed. Ya know the way people have been knocking RIM has actually been pretty brutal and I was pained to see it, but geez... this release is over the top with issues both hard and soft ware related. It took you 7 hours to get a working device out of the box? Unbelievable and your a tinkerer with experience loading and reloading. Imagine the average Joe just wanting to upgrade his BB to the latest and greatest. There are far more of these types of users than crackberry heads. I wonder how many trips to the corp store or calling 611 it would take? And their solution....We'll send you another. Great. Will this one be ok? Hmmmmm....Maybe. At least it might have different issues. And all the battery saving tweaking adjustments? Thats just not right. The QC seems pretty badly lacking for the RIM boys. I'm really starting to get concerned for the long awaited QNX devices. Rim is just blowing it bad. It's amazing what everybody is putting up with over on the 9900/9930 forum. Well, my backspace key stopped working, my screen lost it's sensitivity,my on/off button fell off, I constantly have random reboots, etc, etc it's amazing and the biggest response to fix it is "what os are you running" "just reload the os". Well Excuse me, but I'm running the os that came from the factory on my $550 device. It should work. Ha!, Yeah ya think??
    Underway, return that turd and go back to a solid 9650. Less stress.
    Sorry if this sounds ranting, because it is I guess. RIM just pisses me off lately. A nice device, poorly constructed.
    My battery DPH today with my normal usage is 1.4%. My wife's is similar, less than 2%. I can't explain it. My screen is staying off when I put the phone in the holster today, too. Today's date is an odd number (27). Maybe even-numbered days are worse?
    08-27-11 05:02 PM
    My battery DPH today with my normal usage is 1.4%. My wife's is similar, less than 2%. I can't explain it. My screen is staying off when I put the phone in the holster today, too. Today's date is an odd number (27). Maybe even-numbered days are worse?
    I guess it's "conditioned" now.
    08-27-11 05:09 PM
    You need your 9650 for even days and the 9930 on the odd days. There you go, problem solved.
    08-27-11 06:57 PM
    Just want to give Jim a big for the charging pod. I appreciate it very much!
    08-27-11 07:07 PM
    You need your 9650 for even days and the 9930 on the odd days. There you go, problem solved.
    If today's experience with these 9930s had been the first, wow. DPH for each phone is still about 1.5%. No memory leakage. Zero. Wow. Put it into an Otterbox Commuter, and the size is great. Not too thin at all. It feels much more solid with the Commuter.

When the time comes to replace a dead 9650, then this is your animal.
    08-27-11 07:19 PM
    Just want to give Jim a big for the charging pod. I appreciate it very much!
    Cool! Your welcome. It's always nice to have at least a couple of those gizmos pc.
    08-28-11 12:42 AM
    If today's experience with these 9930s had been the first, wow. DPH for each phone is still about 1.5%. No memory leakage. Zero. Wow. Put it into an Otterbox Commuter, and the size is great. Not too thin at all. It feels much more solid with the Commuter.

When the time comes to replace a dead 9650, then this is your animal.
    Glad to hear it's getting better for you. Needed some time to wear in perhaps.
    08-28-11 12:45 AM
    Glad to hear it's getting better for you. Needed some time to wear in perhaps.
    Power seems to have settled on around 4-5% DPH with our normal usage, and between 0.5 and 1.5% DPH when the phone is just parked on the table or in a holster. I guess the higher discharge rate (as compared to my 9650s) makes sense, in that the battery is smaller and probably discharges a lot of juice to power this magnificent display.
    08-29-11 01:38 AM
    Good morning Ramblers! I'm coming to you via the 3G network(data) since all cable, internet, wi-fi and house phones are down in my city. (Yea VZW and boo Time Warner)The river is expected to crest this afternoon and already part of the city has been evacuated since last night. The thruway is open to go east to albany but west toward Utica is flooded and closed. All the roads flooded are the only way to reach the saouth side of town so there are problems doing that. Our local radio station has no power as well as our central shopping area with stores, restaurants, banks, etc. Today is a no shopping, no banking, no dry cleaning, no doctor office kinda day since who knows when they will have power restored. I never lost power but my house sustained some water damage that will have to be repaired. My basement did not flood, as it never does, so that is a good thing. My flowers in the backyard were all flattened by the swirling winds of Irene. They will survive. Some small branches of trees litter the yard and street but we were lucky. There are streets closed because of hundred year old trees being uprooted in other parts of town. We have had too much water to keep the roots intact is all. My sister and two brothers all lost power but they have generators because they are out of the city. Power has been restored to them partially. Our water is brown and that's not looking too appealing for my tea. So I will be using my hurricane store of water to make my brew. You realize how dependent you are on power and the internet when the first thing you do every morning is to turn on TWC and fire up the laptop. Haha. Our hospital has water moving in on it. About 50 feet away. The hospital is not far from my house so sirens sound all day and night last night as the first floor of it had to be evacuated. There is another hospital building being used as a surgery rehab center and they set up shop there for the most critical hosp patients. This is all very big news for a little town like mine. Remember I am about 20 mins west of Albany, the capital. So now I will have some not brown tea and try my cable box again. Wait, the nfl network is on my satellte. Guess I have to watch football all day today. Oh darn! What a shame. Happy face, happy face, happy face. Lol. Pray for those people in NJ and CT and VT who are cut off from civilization and have nothing. I feel for them. We have been so lucky! Ttyl Ramblers!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 08-29-11 at 06:54 AM.
    08-29-11 06:41 AM
    It's good to hear that you're safe and dry. I suppose being shut in for the day is OK if you have NFL Network. I so much want TWC to offer NFL!
    08-29-11 09:29 AM
    Glad to hear you survived the worst of the weather JayDee. By the sounds of it you are very luck to still have your electric. I do hope the outages in your area and for the rest of the east coast is resolved soon.
    08-29-11 10:01 AM
    Well folks, function won out over form. The 9930 is in the box and headed back to Big Red.

That 9930 is a magnificent device once you get it correctly loaded. A worthy replacement for a dead 9650. I felt, though, like one of those iPhone drones that line up every year to replace their working devices with new ones that run the same software with incremental hardware upgrades.

My 9650 just works. And works. I'll replace it when I HAVE to and not before.
    08-29-11 10:45 AM
    Well folks, function won out over form. The 9930 is in the box and headed back to Big Red.

That 9930 is a magnificent device once you get it correctly loaded. A worthy replacement for a dead 9650. I felt, though, like one of those iPhone drones that line up every year to replace their working devices with new ones that run the same software with incremental hardware upgrades.

Wow! sending it back eh? I'm mixed on pgrading to 9930, but $200+???? They can shove it for that price.

The thread is 9650 about the ghost town is right, there's lots of dicussion around 9900/9930/9850/9860 but 9650 is fading into history. Maybe I'll be back when I have a new device.
    08-29-11 01:32 PM
    Wow! sending it back eh? I'm mixed on pgrading to 9930, but $200+???? They can shove it for that price.

The thread is 9650 about the ghost town is right, there's lots of dicussion around 9900/9930/9850/9860 but 9650 is fading into history. Maybe I'll be back when I have a new device.
    The price was part of it. I just didn't think that the upgraded hardware was worth my cash just because it's new. I wrestled with this all weekend, which I suppose should have told me enough right there.

My wife won't put hers down. She's finally using the data that I've been buying for two years now. For me though, the 9930 is a cool new toy, but ...
    08-29-11 01:51 PM

Wow Underway. Tough decision to make. But you are the one who needs a working phone and has to be happy with it. Glad you're staying with your 9650 a little longer. We could use a couple of friends here since everyone has deserted us.
    08-29-11 02:27 PM
    Wow Underway. Tough decision to make. But you are the one who needs a working phone and has to be happy with it. Glad you're staying with your 9650 a little longer. We could use a couple of friends here since everyone has deserted us.
    It really wasn't all that tough. I realized just a few minutes ago that I didn't feel that rush that normally comes with opening a VZW box and setting up a new phone. I was stoked to get my 9650. Not so with this one. I felt more like "meh." Kind of looking at dinner and thinking "yeah, it'll make a turd."

I'll have a 9930 when my 9650 gives up. Just not today.
    08-29-11 03:05 PM
    Hi all,

I'm still with my Bold 9650 and will be for a while!! My Verizon contract is not up til Feb. 2012.
    08-29-11 03:24 PM
    My contract isn't up till next year either,but I'm loving my Bold 9650 so I'm not in a rush. I can't believe my dumb **** went to the Droid for a while. Lol. Oh well

08-30-11 12:34 PM
    My contract isn't up till next year either,but I'm loving my Bold 9650 so I'm not in a rush. I can't believe my dumb **** went to the Droid for a while. Lol. Oh well

We are just glad you're back, B!!!!!

PS Where is Pink? Anyone seen her around?
    08-30-11 01:08 PM
    As much as I don't want to admit it, I realized this morning (after putting the 9930 back into it's shipping box last night) just how how much faster that new 9930 is than my freshly-reloaded 9650. That 9930 is FAST! It's almost like running my 9650 with OS5 right out of the box. Yes, that fast.

I haven't called FedEX yet to pick up the new phone. Maybe I'll hold on to it for another few days...
    Last edited by Underway99; 08-31-11 at 03:01 AM.
    08-30-11 06:50 PM
23,186 ... 652653654655656 ...