Thanks for the review Jim. I've talked to about a dozen people that have one (I haven't played yet). All of them like it (they are big BB fans). They do say the sensitivity of the screen is way too much and the slightest movement by a thumb on the trackpad towards the screen will mess up what you are doing on the screen. It's interesting you say the thinness is a drawback. That's one I hadn't heard, but I will ask about it.

I personally am going to wait for QNX.
    I'm a BB fan for sure, but don't have to be tied to one type of OS. I think it's interesting to try other platforms. I know I'm in the minority on the thickness or rather lack of it feature as so many are exclaiming the thinness as a cool deal. Def not worth sacrificing battery or camera AF for it tho. While the 9650 felt good and solid in hand immediately, the feel of the 9930 may just have to grow on ya depending on what a person prefers. This upgrade as is, is just a pretty big disappointment so yeah, QNX needs to blow people away or I'll be agreeing with some of the others that RIM is gonna be going down.
    On the other hand QNX makes me think of the playbook and I think most everyone but the kool aid drinking fan bois would call that a less than stellar hit.
    the bezel, geez....forgot to mention. It's all sharp on the bottom side. You'd think they could have rolled it under at least.
    Last edited by cbreze; 08-25-11 at 09:44 PM.
    08-25-11 09:39 PM
    I'm a BB fan for sure, but don't have to be tied to one type of OS. I think it's interesting to try other platforms. Def not worth sacrificing battery or camera AF for it tho.
    I agree with the trying of different platforms. I'm really liking the change of pace when using my rooted Nook Color.

Oh yeah! The camera with no AF. That's a really big disappointment.
    08-25-11 10:40 PM
    The camera is a big disappointment for me too; and I don't want to hear the BS about "if you're using your phone as a camera blah blah blah"! I went to my son's chorus recital earlier this year and I was watching the other parents take pics and record vids with their iphones. Everytime I tried to take a picture with my stupid 9650 nothing would happen. I don't recall which OS I was running at the time but it doesn't really matter.

Life's important moments don't always happen when you can plan to bring along a digital camera. I left work on a whim to be there.

I spoke to VZW CS yesterday on a different issue, and I asked about upgrading to 9930. They quoted me a price that was absolutely ridiculous. As much as I want it, I really have to think about it, is it really going to do what I need it to do.
    08-26-11 08:02 AM
    The camera is a big disappointment for me too; and I don't want to hear the BS about "if you're using your phone as a camera blah blah blah"! I went to my son's chorus recital earlier this year and I was watching the other parents take pics and record vids with their iphones. Everytime I tried to take a picture with my stupid 9650 nothing would happen. I don't recall which OS I was running at the time but it doesn't really matter.

Life's important moments don't always happen when you can plan to bring along a digital camera. I left work on a whim to be there.

I spoke to VZW CS yesterday on a different issue, and I asked about upgrading to 9930. They quoted me a price that was absolutely ridiculous. As much as I want it, I really have to think about it, is it really going to do what I need it to do.
    Paul, I understand the frustration with the 9650 camera. I had a time too when mine would restart after a pic was taken etc.

I must say tho, that as of the later OS6 flavors, mine has been great. Just went to a concert last night as some of my close friends know, I sat about 5 feet from the stage in the orchestra pit and was about 10 feet from the performer most of the night. I got some tremendous pics using nothing but my bold with the flash OFF. Was very surprised I was able to switch to video mode and record a song as well. Then back to bbm a second. And then back to more pics, several in a row. I have to say honestly, that after that one time with a funky OS, my camera has been golden.

As for quoting you a high price...redonkulous!
    08-26-11 08:12 AM
    Paul, I understand the frustration with the 9650 camera. I had a time too when mine would restart after a pic was taken etc.

I must say tho, that as of the later OS6 flavors, mine has been great. Just went to a concert last night as some of my close friends know, I sat about 5 feet from the stage in the orchestra pit and was about 10 feet from the performer most of the night. I got some tremendous pics using nothing but my bold with the flash OFF. Was very surprised I was able to switch to video mode and record a song as well. Then back to bbm a second. And then back to more pics, several in a row. I have to say honestly, that after that one time with a funky OS, my camera has been golden.

As for quoting you a high price...redonkulous!
    I would press the trackpad to take the picture and the screen would go black for half a second and then come back as if it took the picture! Other parents were swiping and pinch zooming and not missing a beat. I was ready to smash my Bold against the wall.

I'd really like the 9930, I'm this close to saying ok when I get it for the right price, but I really should evaluate what I need it to do and what it can do. I want to say I was running either 431 or 524...but don't get me started on "carrier officials".

Everytime I see the "I only install what my carrier provides" my eyes get stuck rolling to the back of my head.
    08-26-11 08:30 AM
    I would press the trackpad to take the picture and the screen would go black for half a second and then come back as if it took the picture! Other parents were swiping and pinch zooming and not missing a beat. I was ready to smash my Bold against the wall.

I'd really like the 9930, I'm this close to saying ok when I get it for the right price, but I really should evaluate what I need it to do and what it can do. I want to say I was running either 431 or 524...but don't get me started on "carrier officials".

Everytime I see the "I only install what my carrier provides" my eyes get stuck rolling to the back of my head.
    I hear ya! These people who are still suck with carrier official 5.0.0.975 also kill me!!! But ya know, i guess it's this way, whatever works for you is what you should stick with. I remember having a lot of trouble with 431 even more with 415. I think that was the sticky camera os, no?
    08-26-11 08:42 AM
    I hear ya! These people who are still suck with carrier official 5.0.0.975 also kill me!!! But ya know, i guess it's this way, whatever works for you is what you should stick with. I remember having a lot of trouble with 431 even more with 415. I think that was the sticky camera os, no?
    I don't remember which OS it was, I'd have to look on my friend's FB page, the one who has a iphone that actually takes pictures, to see the date of the recital.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-26-11 at 09:31 AM.
    08-26-11 09:24 AM
    I don't remember which OS it was, I'd have to look on my friend's FB page, te one who has a iphone that actually takes pictures, to see the date of the recital.
    LMAO
    10 chars
    08-26-11 09:26 AM
    I don't remember which OS it was, I'd have to look on my friend's FB page, the one who has a iphone that actually takes pictures, to see the date of the recital.
    Paul's new sig: 8130 -> 8330 -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9630 -> 9650 -> iPhone
    08-26-11 09:34 AM
    Paul's new sig: 8130 -> 8330 -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9630 -> 9650 -> iPhone
    Believe me, I've considered it more than once. I just don't think I could stop showering and shaving, and I really don't like Birkenstocks.
    08-26-11 09:43 AM
    You know, for all the complaints about the 9930 camera, I have to tell you that the camera is quick. Do you remember the old Kodak Instamatic cameras that took the 126 film cartridge? That was no-kidding point and shoot. This is the same.

My wife loves her 9930. I'm not so sure though about mine. In fact, mine might go back. I like it, but it doesn't scream KEEP ME. It's bigger than and weighs the same as the 9650, and the screen is a beauty. And the OS is as fast as I'd heard. The only time I've seen the hourglass is when the phone is communicating with the network. But it's still OS6+.

If you need to replace your 9650, then this new 9930 is the way to go. But if replacing your trusty 9650 is just to scratch an itch, I can think of other ways to scratch it for less than $200 and your last NE2.
    middbrew and jaydee5799 like this.
    08-26-11 10:53 AM
    Hey everyone, I wouldn't dare post this in the 9930 forum simply because I'd get tossed out on my @ss.
    Aren't you lucky you have people like us who will listen as you slam my next (possibly) phone?
    08-26-11 11:07 AM
    To all the east coast ramblers, stay safe this weekend. Sounds like it might be a rough ride for a few days.
    08-26-11 11:52 AM
    Heading to the nearest Verizon store this evening to check out the 9930. Also going to see one of my grand kids. Hmmm...wonder which of those two activities is more important?
    08-26-11 11:54 AM
    Heading to the nearest Verizon store this evening to check out the 9930. Also going to see one of my grand kids. Hmmm...wonder which of those two activities is more important?
    I'll take Grandkids for the win, Runkle!

...if replacing your trusty 9650 is just to scratch an itch, I can think of other ways to scratch it for less than $200 and your last NE2.
    I had that same feeling with the $219 quote for a 9930.
    08-26-11 12:00 PM
    OK, I'm on a rant again.

As you know when this thread was moved many of us were told our signatures not within CB forum policy standards. I complied with a mods request to change mine to meet the standards. I have seen probably 100 people (many well known regular users) on these forums that not have to comply with the same standards that I was requested to follow. Not only that, I have now seen four mods including Blaze (the forum manager) and mod that told me to change mine aren't following their own policy! I'm calling this BS!
    End of rant.
    08-26-11 12:32 PM
    OK, I'm on a rant again.

As you know when this thread was moved many of us were told our signatures not within CB forum policy standards. I complied with a mods request to change mine to meet the standards. I have seen probably 100 people (many well known regular users) on these forums that not have to comply with the same standards that I was requested to follow. Not only that, I have now seen four mods including Blaze (the forum manager) and mod that told me to change mine aren't following their own policy! I'm calling this BS!
    End of rant.
    Report every single one that doesn't follow policy. I routinely report people all the time.
    08-26-11 12:56 PM
    Report every single one that doesn't follow policy. I routinely report people all the time.
    What gets me is forum manager and the mod the told me to change it isn't even complying! Does it do any good to report them? The answer I got so far is the moderator bar just makes it visually look like I have more lines. My thought is IT DOES HAVE MORE! Even with out the mod bar there are 4 mods with more than the three allowed.
    08-26-11 01:33 PM
    Aren't you lucky you have people like us who will listen as you slam my next (possibly) phone?
    Yes, I'm lucky in more ways than one. Well I guess you possibly took it wrong, but none the less it's nice to hear you comment on one of my posts. I'm certainly not slamming yours or anybody's next phone. Pretty sure I included a few "imho's" in there. And only "my .02cents worth" at the end. I was only slamming that which was my possible next phone and expressing my disappointment in it. I see a ton of folks loving it and I'm sure you'll stand a good chance of loving it also. Since I've had alot of phones over the years and used to buy and sell them like hot cakes I can honestly say I've not seen such a poor release with such reported issues. It seems to be a truely hit or miss as to whether or not you get a good one. The one guy who returned it six times and still got a lemon comes to mind. With the price so high it really makes it even more unacceptable the lack of QC at the factory. Furthermore one should not have to reload os's and reboot/pull battery all the time right out of the box to try to get it to work. Crackberry folks are in the huge minority as to the actual users who go for the new device and just need it to work out the door. I hope you can get one later when your update is available and by then the bugs are worked out. I still have one 9650 charging pod left if you'd like one.
    Last edited by cbreze; 08-26-11 at 01:43 PM.
    08-26-11 01:38 PM
    OK, I'm on a rant again.

End of rant.
    I agree with you midd. I was also told to change my sig about the time we were moved here. The powers that be are good at saying "do what I say", "not what I do".
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-26-11 01:41 PM
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEasy there!
    08-26-11 01:43 PM
    You win PC. The "Good Night Irene" t-shirt is in the mail.
    08-26-11 04:37 PM
    Yes, I'm lucky in more ways than one. Well I guess you possibly took it wrong, but none the less it's nice to hear you comment on one of my posts. I'm certainly not slamming yours or anybody's next phone. Pretty sure I included a few "imho's" in there. And only "my .02cents worth" at the end. I was only slamming that which was my possible next phone and expressing my disappointment in it. I see a ton of folks loving it and I'm sure you'll stand a good chance of loving it also. Since I've had alot of phones over the years and used to buy and sell them like hot cakes I can honestly say I've not seen such a poor release with such reported issues. It seems to be a truely hit or miss as to whether or not you get a good one. The one guy who returned it six times and still got a lemon comes to mind. With the price so high it really makes it even more unacceptable the lack of QC at the factory. Furthermore one should not have to reload os's and reboot/pull battery all the time right out of the box to try to get it to work. Crackberry folks are in the huge minority as to the actual users who go for the new device and just need it to work out the door. I hope you can get one later when your update is available and by then the bugs are worked out. I still have one 9650 charging pod left if you'd like one.
    Thanks for the offer of the pod Jim but I already have a couple.
    I don't know which phone I will be getting when my contract is up. I will have to see it and try it for myself. I don't usually take too much stock in what some of the ******* who post on these forums say. Many of them are idi0ts who are living proof that having a smart phone doesn't make you a smart person.

Too bad the quality control is on the downslide. I have had 5 Bolds myself in a little over a year, many of them worked fine. I got into trouble by changing the OS on them which lead to other problems. Out of the box, they were generally ok. By the time I am ready to buy a new one, it will be perfected no doubt, having been out for 6 months...or longer. Not moving to OS7 until themes are available. Themes and a better camera are all I want in the phone. I'll be looking for one that fits the bill. If it's not the 9930,then I probably won't have to wait long for something else to come along. Things change pretty fast these days anyway.

Good luck with your move to Oregon. That's a big trip!
    cbreze likes this.
    08-26-11 05:27 PM
    My wife loves her 9930. I'm not so sure though about mine. In fact, mine might go back. I like it, but it doesn't scream KEEP ME. It's bigger than and weighs the same as the 9650, and the screen is a beauty. And the OS is as fast as I'd heard. The only time I've seen the hourglass is when the phone is communicating with the network.
    Didn't know you got the 9930. I have now checked out three different ones at two diff stores and found the 3rd to be the best representative of all. The 2nd froze up on the browser immediately, CSR had to come do a battery pull. LOL! The 3rd one was lots better, but something I noticed was the cursor when moving the trackpad won't go to the top 3rd of the screen unless I give it a turbo boost with my thumb and then it's all the way to the address bar which curiously enough I could not activate with a touch, had to use the trackpad. Is yours that way? The rest of the time it worked pretty smooth which was a real change from the first two.
    Is there any noticible diff between os 6 and 7? I'm not really seeing it. The browser is faster, but also, underway can you reformat the text after a zoom in? I wasn't able to do that. Big downer imo. Looks like it needs opera mini.
    08-26-11 05:32 PM
    hey guys, i have a vid on my phone that i shot that is not the best quality. I want to load it to my PC and work on it. What do you think i'd have to do to separate the audio tack and clean it up? It's the audio I'm interested in....

Audacity?
    08-26-11 08:58 PM
23,186 ... 651652653654655 ...