I'd expect that since OS7 is mostly a beefier OS6, the shrink tools should work. Have you heard anything different?
    Shrink tools work, and the highest I've seen reported is 240 after shrinking.
    08-18-11 10:24 AM
    Ok well ima gonna want to shrink os7 as muc as I can of course. I'll prob flip when I get the new phone....when and if I do...to see all those MBs taken up by the OS. Sheesh. 240 is a good start! And of course there will be no themes to begin with. But I went without themes before and I didn't like it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-18-11 10:30 AM
    Hey Middbrew,

Not sure you saw my earlier post. Verizon is finally picking up my divested market. Formal takeover date is September 25. Time will tell if the old Alltel store in my area has the 9930 available at the end of September as a new Verizon store. Still not sure I want to kick over $250 in their direction.
    I missed that post. My area here has converted to ATN and which is running their part of the acquisition under the Alltel name. They even bought the Alltel building and it's run by former Alltel execs. So, it's the same old thing for me. Great reception, great customer servers, but really really slow at getting new devices.

I agree, I wouldn't pay the $250 either. The most I have paid for a phone was $50 for my 8330 (my 9650 was free!).

Did you see the memory stats on the 9930? Roughly 180MB free. I wonder how much you can shrink out?
    I would think 180MB might be all it needs. I remember running the 8330s down to under 10MB before they would flip out. It might be that these phones can handle being run down pretty low as well. Just my thought.
    08-18-11 10:37 AM
    I would think 180MB might be all it needs. I remember running the 8330s down to under 10MB before they would flip out. It might be that these phones can handle being run down pretty low as well. Just my thought.
    Oh, I'm not concerned about "only" 180MB. My 9650 starts up with roughly 270 free, and has never dropped below 260. Yes, JayDee, NEVER below 260 . I don't expect that the 180MB will be a problem. Paul just wrote that he's seen folks report that the OS can be shrunk so far that they can get 240MB free.
    Last edited by Underway99; 08-18-11 at 10:50 AM.
    08-18-11 10:47 AM
    Well a new device and hopefully no memory leak. So I am looking forward to getting another phone when the time is right according to my contract. And if it can run successfully on 180, hopefully it can run after having about 100MB being shrunk out of it and a few dozen apps added. LOL

I have been in an area with no wi_fi for the past four or five days. My duplicate emails and bbm messages stopped coming in. I have been home using my wi_fi since yesterday afternoon and done several reboots (that new theme by Xan that I'm using just sux on freezing my phone) and so far the email and bbm's have not come back. Yay!

PS neither will the theme. Deleted it again for the second time.
    08-19-11 07:31 AM
    Hey! Anyone else having trouble getting their yahoo mail delivered to their handset? Mine hasn't been coming in for weeks.
    08-19-11 03:49 PM
    I'm sure everyone's beginning to form an opinion regarding the 9930. I know some of the "ramblers" are waiting for upgrade time to save money, but was wondering if anyone else is close to taking the plunge. I see Verizon has it listed at $199 with a resign for 2 years. I see some saying $149 so maybe there including some mir or talking about another supplier. I'm already re-upped for another 2 as of May so not upgrade price for me, but I'm also really not very excited as I thought I'd be about the 9930. From reading comments of users to the actual spec sheets it's really kind of blah. I say this having used a 9650 for a year and the os7 really looks to much like os6 to me. So the faster processor is nice,(seems a reported battery life trade-off tho) but opera mini was pretty fast on os6. The .2" increase in screen size is better, but still small by most standards. The touch screen is a user feature that you as a user either like or don't. I'm not a big fan of them. The kb is fantastic from what I'm hearing, but my 9650's was also fantastic so this is not really awesomeness on a platter or anything. A bit bigger device is the trade off anyway.
    So wondering how the "ramblers" are leaning. If I never had the 9650 and wanted a BB, this would be my device of choice. But coming from the awesome 9650, it's just not that exciting and for the cash outlay!! Wow, have you seen the issues's list. It grows longer by the hour. Hi everybody!
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-19-11 04:06 PM
    hey all.....

jaydee as far as the issue you had with revelio, that sounds very similar to the issues i had using Morph....freezing, my batex stopped working after 3hrs of running the theme, and when i set the theme, of course do the usual reboot--it wiped out 3 of my custom ringer profiles i created upon booting back up...so i deleted it(the theme) and never loaded or used it again. just didnt agree with my bb. sounds like revelio gives your bb indigestion also.....

as for yahoo, i've had no issues what so ever.

Jim, i've been reading a bit here and there about the 9930, and well, i agree with what you've said. issues are popping up left and right, oh, and theres that one where if you wanted to use the device switch wiz to go from one bb to the 9930 you cant-it mucks something up......i like my 9650 but there doesnt seem to be anything really exciting about the 9930 to entice me either. i do still want to stop in the local VzW one day and check it out anyway just for ****es & giggles......

08-19-11 06:03 PM
    Oh, I'm not concerned about "only" 180MB. My 9650 starts up with roughly 270 free, and has never dropped below 260. Yes, JayDee, NEVER below 260 . I don't expect that the 180MB will be a problem. Paul just wrote that he's seen folks report that the OS can be shrunk so far that they can get 240MB free.
    I can hunt around for the quote if you want. I have never gone below 260 either. I think 268 is the lowest I've seen.
    08-19-11 06:08 PM
    Don't all new phone have "issues'? Didn't we also have issues when we first got our phones? I don't remember...Anyway, I for one would jump on this phone if I had an upgrade. But since I don't and I have no summer job...no new phone for me....
    08-19-11 06:25 PM
    Don't all new phone have "issues'? Didn't we also have issues when we first got our phones? I don't remember...Anyway, I for one would jump on this phone if I had an upgrade. But since I don't and I have no summer job...no new phone for me....
    I'm jumping on 9930 as soon as I put the coin together
    08-19-11 06:32 PM
    I can hunt around for the quote if you want. I have never gone below 260 either. I think 268 is the lowest I've seen.
    No need. I believe I've seen some of those reports too.
    08-19-11 06:50 PM
    Jaydee, saw your pics of your extended battery in the 9650 forum. Do you use a case with your 9650 and extended battery? I have my 9650 in a two piece case and then slip it in a belt case for daily travel. If you do not use a case, have you had any trouble with scratches, etc? Thanks.
    08-19-11 10:18 PM
    Jaydee, saw your pics of your extended battery in the 9650 forum. Do you use a case with your 9650 and extended battery? I have my 9650 in a two piece case and then slip it in a belt case for daily travel. If you do not use a case, have you had any trouble with scratches, etc? Thanks.
    Hi runkle55,

I'm not Jaydee but I did ask her questions about that Seido extended battery a while back. I also have the Bold 9650. Bought the Seido 2600 battery and have been a happy camper ever since. I used the battery door that came with the Seido 2600 and then used my Case-Mate Gelli case. It's kind of a hard plastic/silicone type of case and fits my 9650 and the extended battery very well. Now...when I use the Blackberry clip on the belt case that came with my 9650.....I take the Case-Mate case off and then just slip my BB into the belt case. It fits....but just slightly snug....but no issues.
    Last edited by Mojave; 08-20-11 at 10:06 AM.
    08-20-11 08:01 AM
    Runkle, I use a Case Mate Gelli case...its a hard plastic/silicone type case. It stretches over the phone fine and allows access to all the ports.

Thanks Mojave for fielding the question! Never hurts to have two opinions!!!
    08-20-11 08:19 AM
    I have the extended 2600 battery and I use the otterbox commuter case and it works great. All it takes is a little modafication and looks good. No extra bulk.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-20-11 08:49 AM
    Thanks for your responses to my case question everyone. With my contract up, I am going to check out the 9930 this coming week and see what I think. If I keep my 9650 for a while, your insights and suggestions will serve me well. I want a larger battery but want to keep my phone in good shape too. Thanks again everyone.
    08-20-11 09:13 PM
    I have been looking thru the threads and as much as there are new phones and the typical droid vs bb talk, I see a lot of noobs with questions like...if I change an OS version will my apps transfer? How do you get those pretty screen shots? And How can I upgrade my OS with a Mac?

Don't any of these people READ first? I mean really, when I had trouble, I used to LOOK in the forums to see what was out there. Sometimes hours looking for ONE MEASLY ANSWER. Sheesh. No one wants to look for anything. They wanna start a new thread (useless one at that) and ask their question. I am keeping away from those as I don't want to lose patience with any of them, but honestly. READ, PEOPLE!!!!!
    08-21-11 12:21 PM
    I have been looking thru the threads and as much as there are new phones and the typical droid vs bb talk, I see a lot of noobs with questions like...if I change an OS version will my apps transfer? How do you get those pretty screen shots? And How can I upgrade my OS with a Mac?

Don't any of these people READ first? I mean really, when I had trouble, I used to LOOK in the forums to see what was out there. Sometimes hours looking for ONE MEASLY ANSWER. Sheesh. No one wants to look for anything. They wanna start a new thread (useless one at that) and ask their question. I am keeping away from those as I don't want to lose patience with any of them, but honestly. READ, PEOPLE!!!!!
    I agree Jaydee, google is your friend too... but many either don't know how to search or just can't be bothered.

Russ.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-21-11 04:00 PM

Some of those threads, though, are good for a chuckle while simultaneously causing a head shake, knowing what responses are headed their way. There are a LOT of noobs doing the blasting, too. Who put shotguns in the hands of noobs?

We've discussed this before, too. Between the irregular enforcement of the rules in the forums, the increasingly negative and downright hostile forums posts (I don't get it -- why would you sign up to become a troll?), and some of the reviews (look at Kevin's half-baked review of the 9850/60), this site is not what it once was.
    Last edited by Underway99; 08-21-11 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-21-11 04:09 PM
    There are a LOT of noobs doing the blasting, too. Who put shotguns in the hands of noobs?
    Oh well, when a noob starts blasting, I'm all in!
    08-21-11 04:54 PM
    Noob blasting???? And I wasn't invited???!!!!

Jaydee congrats on the passing the 6,000 post milestone.
    08-22-11 07:32 AM
    Noob blasting???? And I wasn't invited???!!!!

Jaydee congrats on the passing the 6,000 post milestone.
    There are so many noobs here now, there is plenty of room for one more blaster!

+1 JayDee!
    08-22-11 09:03 AM
    That's the problem with new device releases and older devices going on sale, the stupid/repeat posts go up at an alarming rate.
    08-22-11 09:34 AM
    Yes, congrats to Jaydee and her post milestone. I hear it seems lots of Verizon stores are selling the new bolds now, early. I went to check it out, but the one store did not have it yet. I was interested in the kb as it is the one thing I miss going all touch screen. The issues coming with these freshly new releases are kind of a turn off tho, for me anyway. Maybe later...or not.
    Last edited by cbreze; 08-22-11 at 11:41 AM.
    08-22-11 11:24 AM
23,186 ... 649650651652653 ...