I actually don't know if I have that issue because I never use wifi on my Bold. I never bothered to set it up. I'm just not an "omg gotta have wifi" type of person. Also, I was so used to NOT having wifi in the past with all of my other bb's. For some people its important for me, not so much.

Even w/my husbands iP4, a lot of the time (99%) I forget to switch it to wifi......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1. I don't use it either and have never set it up. In fact.....I don't fully understand exactly what wifi is...what it does....or how it works.....let alone set it up.
    Last edited by Mojave; 08-06-11 at 08:33 AM.
    08-06-11 08:27 AM
    +1. I don't use it either and have never set it up. In fact.....I don't fully understand exactly what wifi is...what it does....or how it works.....let alone set it up.
    well, Mojave, i'm no computer scientist, BUT from what i understand it to be, wifi is an 'wireless' connection to the web using a router to browse, surf etc. without using acutal "data" (like the data plan you pay for on your bb) It may be a little quicker that using the actual carriers data in some instances. BUT i have unlimited data plan that i pay for, so i use it to the fullest potential. Wifi is great for someone who has a tiered data plan that can't go over say 2GB, so using wifi helps 'control' the actual amount they stream to their device without going over their cap

and setting it up is extremely simple. If you would like to know what to do, LMK or any one of us here can help you

I'm sure if i've missed any important details, someone will add to this
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-06-11 at 09:14 AM.
    08-06-11 09:11 AM
    well, Mojave, i'm no computer scientist, BUT from what i understand it to be, wifi is an 'wireless' connection to the web using a router to browse, surf etc. without using acutal "data" (like the data plan you pay for on your bb) It may be a little quicker that using the actual carriers data in some instances. BUT i have unlimited data plan that i pay for, so i use it to the fullest potential. Wifi is great for someone who has a tiered data plan that can't go over say 2GB, so using wifi helps 'control' the actual amount they stream to their device without going over their cap

and setting it up is extremely simple. If you would like to know what to do, LMK or any one of us here can help you

Hi Pink,

You explained it very well....now it makes a little more sense to me. I also have the unlimited data plan.....so at this point I'm good to go. But maybe having some step by step instructions on how to set up it would be nice. I can file it away for future use. At least I will then know how to do it if I ever need to use it. Thanks again Pink!
    08-06-11 09:58 AM

WiFi is much faster than the mobile network, in my experience
    08-06-11 10:24 AM
    WiFi is much faster than the mobile network, in my experience
    I absolutely agree. Wifi also saves my battery. The only time I turn it off is when I know I'll be away for a whole day. Otherwise, I leave it on.
    08-06-11 10:45 AM
    Ellie,
    Wi-fi is much faster than the 3G network and it allow you to talk on the phone and do data...like bbm...at the same time.
    I use wi-fi wherever I go. Like when I go to the salon, there is free wi-fi in the city where I go. Save on my battery and allows faster searching, bbm etc. I consider wi-fi part of what I pay for...so unlike Pink, when I use wi-fi, I feel that I am using my unlimited data and the money I pay for it to the fullest. My phone does wi-fi, therefore so do I!!!
    Mojave likes this.
    08-06-11 10:49 AM
    ok Mojave-directions to use wifi:

1) Go into your 'manage connections'
    2) Click the box to turn on wifi
    3) Then scroll down to 'set up wifi' & open that menu. Once you open this it will begin scanning for wifi.
    4) Choose the wifi that is yours, what ever you named it. Ie. 'Mojave's wifi'
    5) Click on it and it'll connect.

Now when you go to use your wifi, if there is a lock icon next to the name it means you need a password to get into the wifi connection. SO when you click your network, put in your routers PW & then it'll connect you!

When your not using your wifi, go back to manage connections and un-check the wifi box so it turns off.

Its that easy

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-06-11 at 02:42 PM.
    Mojave likes this.
    08-06-11 11:19 AM
    Ellie,
    Wi-fi is much faster than the 3G network and it allow you to talk on the phone and do data...like bbm...at the same time.
    I use wi-fi wherever I go. Like when I go to the salon, there is free wi-fi in the city where I go. Save on my battery and allows faster searching, bbm etc. I consider wi-fi part of what I pay for...so unlike Pink, when I use wi-fi, I feel that I am using my unlimited data and the money I pay for it to the fullest. My phone does wi-fi, therefore so do I!!!
    ya know Jaydee, I've heard mixed things about wifi and being able to still rec email & bbm etc. Some say they have issues with having wifi turned on and not rec'ing email, Sms/mms or bbms.

Now obviously idk how much truth there is to it, but seeing how your able to send/rec etc with no issues I would have to guess perhaps the people that do have those issues could be the OS their using idk.

I'm actually gonna connect mine today & see how it goes.

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-06-11 at 11:36 AM.
    08-06-11 11:24 AM
    How can you not have the wifi browser click issue? That alone was enough to prompt me to try 443 and 466.
    ok Paul, I'm hooked up to my wifi. What is the 'click' issue that I should be aware of to look for? Thx.

08-06-11 11:39 AM
    ok Mojave-directions to use wifi:

1) Go into your 'manage connections'
    2) Click the box to turn on wifi
    3) Then scroll down to 'set up wifi' & open that menu. Once you open this it will begin scanning for wifi.
    4) Choose the wifi that is yours, what ever you named it. Ie. 'Mojave's wifi'
    5) Click on it and it'll connect.

Now when you go to use your wifi, if there is a lock icon next to the name it means you need a password to get into the wifi connection. SO when you click your network, put in your PW & then it'll connect you!

When your not using your wifi, go back to manage connections and un-check the wifi box so it turns off.

Its that easy

Hi Pink,

Thanks for the information. I'm still using OS5. I followed your instructions up to number 3....which I followed. It scanned and I received 2 options......1. 2WireE866 WPA2-personal......and 2. 2Wire216 WEP. The first one said..."this wireless router support Wi-Fi Protected Set up. To connect using a PIN (which your BB will generate). Click next. I click next and it then said enter this PIN into your wireless router. WHAT WIRELESS ROUTER? I do have a D-Link hooked up to my computer. Is this what my BB is picking up on? If so....how the heck to I enter that pin number into my D-Link? I also do not use a password what so ever on my BB.

I'm at home.....so do I need to use Wi-Fi......OR only when I'm out and about? Maybe this Wi-Fi thing is not for me.
    08-06-11 12:52 PM
    Hi Pink,

Thanks for the information. I'm still using OS5. I followed your instructions up to number 3....which I followed. It scanned and I received 2 options......1. 2WireE866 WPA2-personal......and 2. 2Wire216 WEP. The first one said..."this wireless router support Wi-Fi Protected Set up. To connect using a PIN (which your BB will generate). Click next. I click next and it then said enter this PIN into your wireless router. WHAT WIRELESS ROUTER? I do have a D-Link hooked up to my computer. Is this what my BB is picking up on? If so....how the heck to I enter that pin number into my D-Link? I also do not use a password what so ever on my BB.

I'm at home.....so do I need to use Wi-Fi......OR only when I'm out and about? Maybe this Wi-Fi thing is not for me.
    ok Mojave, as far as the pin thing, from the sounds of it, after you click next to generate a pin# from your bb for the router, you then have to go to your computer where the router is hooked up to and find the correct menu to put that pin# in so your bb & router can connect. This router would be the "d-link" that you have hooked up to your computer. How you get into your router menu, that i cant really help with. You'd have to go onto your computer and find the icon or menu for your router to click into it and then find the correct sub menu to enter that pin # into. I didn't have to deal with a router pin# so i can't be of much help there to you sorry When i mentioned 'password' in my above post, i wasn't referring to a password to lock your bb, i was referring to a password that you can create within your wifi router menu so that no one in your area can tap into your wifi while hanging out outside of your house. Its for security reasons to do that. If you want to know how to secure yours, you can google your wifi name brand/type to find these instructions. (for the router pw, i'm sorry i should have been more clear as to what i meant, which was your routers password)

pcgizmo suggests you do NOT hook your bb up with that pin method. so disregard what i've typed to figure out how to do that. I would take his word that he knows what hes talking about and i really don't know too much about routers either

as for using your wifi on your bb, yes you can use it while your at home, when you leave home you can turn it off. Now, like Jaydee mentioned, if you go some place that offers FREE wifi, you can turn your wifi on and have it scan for that particular business' open wifi. Ie. your in McDonalds in Lala Land, Florida. While your in McDonalds, you can turn on your wifi, go into set up wifi and it'll find "mcdonalds wifi" that your at and you can connect to it, when your finished you turn the wifi off.

I hope this helps you a bit and that i haven't further confused you. I know it can be frustrating and confusing when you don't quite understand how things work, i'm not the most techinest person either & i do get frustrated trying to understand some computer things on how they function as well.
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-06-11 at 02:59 PM.
    Mojave likes this.
    08-06-11 02:41 PM
    ya know Jaydee, I've heard mixed things about wifi and being able to still rec email & bbm etc. Some say they have issues with having wifi turned on and not rec'ing email, Sms/mms or bbms.

Now obviously idk how much truth there is to it, but seeing how your able to send/rec etc with no issues I would have to guess perhaps the people that do have those issues could be the OS their using idk.

I'm actually gonna connect mine today & see how it goes.

With a wifi connection active, you can email/sms/bbm/browse during phone calls.

I never turn wifi off, it doesn't drain the battery much.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-06-11 02:49 PM
    Hi Pink,
    I do have a D-Link hooked up to my computer. Is this what my BB is picking up on? If so....how the heck to I enter that pin number into my D-Link? I also do not use a password what so ever on my BB.

Do not use the PIN method to connect your Bold to your wireless router.
    08-06-11 02:52 PM
    oh! i wouldve never know that Paul! Obviously i dont know too much about routers.

I'm curious though as to why you say NOT to use the pin method?
    08-06-11 02:58 PM
    Then what do I need to do to use my Wi-Fi at home? This is all very confusing to me at this point. Sorry.
    08-06-11 05:12 PM
    hey Hamster, did you ever get your new laptop all set up? how is it?
    08-06-11 06:36 PM
    hey Hamster, did you ever get your new laptop all set up? how is it?
    Hey Pink! It's mostly set up, still have to move my backup over, but I'm loving it! Thanks for asking I have a new toy to play with, woot!
    08-06-11 08:44 PM
    Hey Pink! It's mostly set up, still have to move my backup over, but I'm loving it! Thanks for asking I have a new toy to play with, woot!
    YaaaY, new toys! Lol. Well good luck & enjoy it

What kind of laptop did you get?

08-07-11 08:12 AM
    Hey Ramblers!
    Any of you have DirectTV NFL Sunday Ticket?
    I want to download the NFL to go app again on my phone (I deleted last year's version after the season) When I go to the page I get different errors.

Could be that it's not set up yet. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? I also called and the rep didn't have any info either. Looks like I gotta call Tech Support...
    08-07-11 08:57 AM
    oh! i wouldve never know that Paul! Obviously i dont know too much about routers.

I'm curious though as to why you say NOT to use the pin method?
    Then what do I need to do to use my Wi-Fi at home? This is all very confusing to me at this point. Sorry.
    In BB6

Click on the connections bar at the top of the screen
    In the drop down check the box next to WiFi in Manage Connections
    Scroll down to Set Up Wifi Network
    It should scan and find your Wireless Network
    Highlight the one you wish to connect to and click the trackpad
    Enter the passphrase (assuming you have it pw locked)
    Click connect

I never had any luck entering the BB generated PIN into my Wireless Router config screen.
    08-07-11 09:13 AM
    I never had any luck entering the BB generated PIN into my Wireless Router config screen.
    ahhhhh...ok. I've never been prompted for the 'pin generated' option for connecting to wifi. My router is password protected
    I've been using my wifi since I first connected yesterday morning-ish, and no 'click' issues here on 431. As for it being quicker, now that I don't agree with. I'm using OM & I also used the native browser yesterday as well, and I honestly didn't see any difference in speeds.

08-07-11 09:22 AM
    ahhhhh...ok. I've never been prompted for the 'pin generated' option for connecting to wifi. My router is password protected
    I've been using my wifi since I first connected yesterday morning-ish, and no 'click' issues here on 431. As for it being quicker, now that I don't agree with. I'm using OM & I also used the native browser yesterday as well, and I honestly didn't see any difference in speeds.

I just wiped and reloaded 587 yesterday and reinstalled my apps OTA. I can see a very noticeable difference in download speeds when connected to wifi. Waiting for an app to install and watching the progress bar creep along on VZW, is frustrating. With wifi it just buzzes along smoothly and quickly.

I said NOT to use the PIN method, becasue the method I laid out above is easier. Trying to fight with the router config page to get the PIN to be accepted is a pain in the @ss.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-07-11 at 09:32 AM.
    08-07-11 09:26 AM
    alright, maybe there's a diff when dwlding apps, which the only thing new I dwld yest was a theme, and that seemed to load as 'usual'.

Then again, my bb is weird compared to the rest of everyones in here. There's some things you guys have issue with that on mine I don't, or vise versa.

08-07-11 09:31 AM
    YaaaY, new toys! Lol. Well good luck & enjoy it

What kind of laptop did you get?

Hi! I got a Dell Inspiron i5

Morning Ramblers!!!
    08-07-11 10:40 AM
    Hi! I got a Dell Inspiron i5

Morning Ramblers!!!
    very nice, well, enjoy it of course
    08-07-11 12:43 PM