Hello Ramblers...I have a question..

For some odd reason, once in awhile, my BW will just freeze up. It happens when I go to change sets. The set won't load, and then BW goes away meaning I get only a red umbrella. Batt pulls don't help. Only deleting and reinstalling the app makes it work again. I have had to do this 3 times in the past couple of weeks.
    And since I now have my themes on my media card, I have been deleting them from my device. From 25 down to 11 But here's the thing...I didn't gain much memory back at all

Could it be the OS? I thought about wiping and re-installing, but is that difficult to do? What does it entail?
    Also, the last time I shrunk, I had selected start up video, but upon reboot, there was the start up video So I tried to shrink it off again direct from phone and bb boss "said" it wasn't there...

I'm puzzled. Any way of knowing if it's still on my phone?

Thanks for any insight into these issues..

Been a low key weekend, but keeping busy. Hope everyone had a great one!
    06-26-11 06:27 PM

Here's a screen shot of my crazy-assed Bold!
    Since I upgraded to 524 the damn thing GAINS memory like crazy!!!
    Did you ever think you'd hear me complain? But then it drops like crazy too. Look at the +69 and -43 or whatever from the screen shot. The drop occurred while I was napping and not using my phone....LMAO!!!!

Hamster, bad juju???
    Hope someone can help you with your problem!!!
    06-26-11 07:04 PM
    Hello Ramblers...I have a question..

For some odd reason, once in awhile, my BW will just freeze up. It happens when I go to change sets. The set won't load, and then BW goes away meaning I get only a red umbrella. Batt pulls don't help. Only deleting and reinstalling the app makes it work again. I have had to do this 3 times in the past couple of weeks.
    And since I now have my themes on my media card, I have been deleting them from my device. From 25 down to 11 But here's the thing...I didn't gain much memory back at all

Could it be the OS? I thought about wiping and re-installing, but is that difficult to do? What does it entail?
    Also, the last time I shrunk, I had selected start up video, but upon reboot, there was the start up video So I tried to shrink it off again direct from phone and bb boss "said" it wasn't there...

I'm puzzled. Any way of knowing if it's still on my phone?

Thanks for any insight into these issues..

Been a low key weekend, but keeping busy. Hope everyone had a great one!
    Some folks have complained about how their phone works when they install BW addons. Does your BW work with just the stock graphics or the ones that you can get directly from Bellshare?

As to the themes and reclaimed space, I found the same thing when I archived some unused themes. I deleted ten themes or so, and got back just 8+MB. For the most part, they don't take up an obscene abount of storage space, especially if they don't have a wallpaper in the package.

Reloading the OS is easy. Lots of tutorials here. JayDe's probably the most experienced here. I don't know HOW many times she's had to reload...

Finally, I have also had some diffculty with using the BBHybrids tool or BBBoss to shrink the OS. I shrink out what I want gone, then I look to make sure that the COD that I want gone is really gone. If not, I delete it, then run APPLOADER. Done deal. To see if you have the video loaded, plug in to BBSAK, then look for net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_480x360_05_b.cod and net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod. I'm not sure which one is the video, but I get rid of both.

Good luck
    Last edited by Underway99; 06-26-11 at 07:28 PM.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    06-26-11 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the response midd. Still not sure about making a change when the 9930 comes out. Sure wish someone on the RIM inside would leak a qnx prototype so we could see what we can expect. I have been playing with a Playbook to get a feel for the new os, but not been very satisfied yet because of a lack of apps to test. I have been reading way too many articles about RIM's sure and certain demise; so who knows what the future holds for all us "stone age" smartphone users.
    06-26-11 07:32 PM

Reloading the OS is easy. Lots of tutorials here. JayDe's probably the most experienced here. I don't know HOW many times she's had to reload...

Finally, I have also had some diffculty with using the BBHybrids tool or BBBoss to shrink the OS. I shrink out what I want gone, then I look to make sure that the COD that I want gone is really gone. If not, I delete it, then run APPLOADER. Done deal. To see if you have the video loaded, plug in to BBSAK, then look for net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_480x360_05_b.cod and[B] net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod[/B]. I'm not sure which one is the video, but I get rid of both.

Good luck
    Actually, there are 4 parts to that video so delete 01, 02, 03, 04.
    The vid is 20 MBs.
    06-26-11 07:41 PM
    Hamster, if you want to wipe and reload:
    Backup all device data in DM (makes am ipd file)
    Back up yur 3rd party apps in BBSAK (makes cods)
    You can also backup your third party stuff using DM. It creates a folder that you keep with cods.
    Then I am unsure...do a security wipe. Takes an hour or so...
    Maybe someone else knows how to wipe from here.

Then I would plug into PC and use apploader to install 524 or 436 using apploader. Shrink first if you want and then run apploader. When its done,you need to go to DM and add back your contacts, etc.
    And then add back the 3rd party ****e...one at a time or using BBSAK...but remember BBSAK adds them all as one file.
    Then install your themes from your card, one at a time.

That would give you a clean bb and new os install.
    You will have to re-register everything and set your fonts, etc.
    A real PIA but if its needed, then that's what you need to do...
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 06-26-11 at 07:49 PM.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    06-26-11 07:46 PM
    Hamster, if you want to wipe and reload:
    Backup all device data in DM (makes am ipd file)
    Back up yur 3rd party apps in BBSAK (makes cods)
    You can also backup your third party stuff using DM. It creates a folder that you keep with cods.
    Then I am unsure...do a security wipe. Takes an hour or so...
    Maybe someone else knows how to wipe from here.

Then I would plug into PC and use apploader to install 524 or 436 using apploader. Shrink first if you want and then run apploader. When its done,you need to go to DM and add back your contacts, etc.
    And then add back the 3rd party ****e...one at a time or using BBSAK...but remember BBSAK adds them all as one file.
    Then install your themes from your card, one at a time.

That would give you a clean bb and new os install.
    You will have to re-register everything and set your fonts, etc.
    A real PIA but if its needed, then that's what you need to do...
    If you wipe using BBSAK it only takes a few minutes.

I use the install cod option to reinstall my 3rd party apps. This way they install as individual apps and not as one file.

I would also use apploader to install the OS. The whole should take a little over an hour, but give yourself plenty of time.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    06-26-11 07:58 PM
    Some folks have complained about how their phone works when they install BW addons. Does your BW work with just the stock graphics or the ones that you can get directly from Bellshare?

As to the themes and reclaimed space, I found the same thing when I archived some unused themes. I deleted ten themes or so, and got back just 8+MB. For the most part, they don't take up an obscene abount of storage space, especially if they don't have a wallpaper in the package.

Finally, I have also had some diffculty with using the BBHybrids tool or BBBoss to shrink the OS. I shrink out what I want gone, then I look to make sure that the COD that I want gone is really gone. If not, I delete it, then run APPLOADER. Done deal. To see if you have the video loaded, plug in to BBSAK, then look for net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_480x360_05_b.cod and net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod. I'm not sure which one is the video, but I get rid of both.

Good luck
    My BW works fine with all sets, just once in awhile it will "disappear" as in it has the icon for the app, but I can't do anything with it. Very strange.

I've upgraded an os before, but I didn't know if wiping and re-installing were different?

I realize that about themes, but I've deleted about 15, so roughly if most themes are .5 to 1mb in file size, I should have gained at least 10 back...but nope...maybe 5?

I will look for those files and see if they are there. If they are, then what?

Thanks for the help, 99.
    06-26-11 08:03 PM
    If you wipe using BBSAK it only takes a few minutes.

I use the install cod option to reinstall my 3rd party apps. This way they install as individual apps and not as one file.

I would also use apploader to install the OS. The whole should take a little over an hour, but give yourself plenty of time.
    Right, Midd. I do remember wiping with BBSAK. It does only take a few minutes. I think I did the security wipe for some other reason...probably related to my memory problems back in Dec or so...
    06-26-11 08:16 PM
    Ok, so given my issues, do you think a wipe is needed?
    I really don't want to go through all this crap.

I would rather use BBsak and do it that way if that's the case, and then apploader as midd suggested. But I'll have to shrink it first right?

At any rate, I'm going to look for the video files first and see if it's still on my device. How do I delete them if they are on there?

Sorry guys...be patient with me, lol.
    06-26-11 08:30 PM
    If you don't wipe, then apploader simply saves what you have and adds it back over a new os upgrade.

I would download the os you want to use, say 524, shrink it, and then use apploader to load it. All your stuff goes back on with a clean os install and that might be enough.. Its also faster.

If you want to check right now for the vid, plug into your PC, use BBSAK, have it read all the files of your phone and look for the ones Underway listed...look for all 4 o1, o2, o3, o4.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    06-26-11 08:51 PM
    If you don't wipe, then apploader simply saves what you have and adds it back over a new os upgrade.

I would download the os you want to use, say 524, shrink it, and then use apploader to load it. All your stuff goes back on with a clean os install and that might be enough.. Its also faster.

If you want to check right now for the vid, plug into your PC, use BBSAK, have it read all the files of your phone and look for the ones Underway listed...look for all 4 o1, o2, o3, o4.
    This is the only one that was listed net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod

What does that mean?
    06-26-11 09:48 PM
    I think that the four separate video file parts were combined into one large file in the OS6.0.0.3XX days. The only one that I've seen that is part of the newer OS6 versions is net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 10:02 PM
    I think that the four separate video file parts were combined into one large file in the OS6.0.0.3XX days. The only one that I've seen that is part of the newer OS6 versions is net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod.

Yup. Just woke up and saw this. I think Underway is correct. Must be one humongous file now instead of the four parts I used to blow away. So your suspicion is correct, the video must still be there on your phone Hamster.
    06-27-11 05:39 AM

Yup. Just woke up and saw this. I think Underway is correct. Must be one humongous file now instead of the four parts I used to blow away. So your suspicion is correct, the video must still be there on your phone Hamster.
    You are right guys, this file was like 4XXXKB or something like that. The question is now how to get rid of it? I tried BB Boss to shrink it off my phone, but it didn't work. Have you guys heard of Maxmem by berrycoder? It's supposed to delete these some of these provider files right from your phone?
    Or do I try shrinking it again?
    06-27-11 06:28 AM
    You are right guys, this file was like 4XXXKB or something like that. The question is now how to get rid of it? I tried BB Boss to shrink it off my phone, but it didn't work. Have you guys heard of Maxmem by berrycoder? It's supposed to delete these some of these provider files right from your phone?
    Or do I try shrinking it again?
    Did u plug it into BBSAK? If you show the contents of your phone, you should be able to highlight the cod and delete it. That's how I used to remove the video before the days of shrinking it off.

Now you got me thinking. How did you find it? Through BBSAK?
    06-27-11 07:05 AM
    Did u plug it into BBSAK? If you show the contents of your phone, you should be able to highlight the cod and delete it. That's how I used to remove the video before the days of shrinking it off.

Now you got me thinking. How did you find it? Through BBSAK?
    Yes, I plugged into BBSAK...I was going to remove it just didn't know if it was safe, lol. Ok, I will do that then...

Thanks for your help guys! Once this is taken care of, then I will figure out if I want to re-install the damn OS. UGh.
    06-27-11 07:12 AM
    I think I will plug in as well later and see if mine is still there or gone. What gave you the idea it was still there? I think I used BB Hybrid Tools shrink to do mine and not BB Boss...maybe it is gone?

I just know I have deleted a ton of themes as well and haven't gained much memory either. Except for the few hours that my BB keeps ticking up and up on the memory number!!!!! (Only to drop like a stone for no reason...)
    06-27-11 07:16 AM
    I think I will plug in as well later and see if mine is still there or gone. What gave you the idea it was still there? I think I used BB Hybrid Tools shrink to do mine and not BB Boss...maybe it is gone?

I just know I have deleted a ton of themes as well and haven't gained much memory either. Except for the few hours that my BB keeps ticking up and up on the memory number!!!!! (Only to drop like a stone for no reason...)
    Well, when I first installed 524, I used BB Boss to shrink, and had video selected..but when it rebooted, the damn thing started up...so I tried a shrink off phone, and Boss said everything I wanted was shrunk. But I wasn't convinced...and especially now since I have a lot less theme, and should have way more memory at reboot. Yeah, I have 10 themes now, but still only gained back like 5mb which is very strange.
    And I have those phantom memory gains too....90mb yesterday in total, and then boom down again in a lick

So I will delete the video today and we shall see...
    06-27-11 07:20 AM
    While your in there look for your themes and make sure they are deleted as well. I have had issues with deleting them only to find they are still on my phone.
    06-27-11 07:37 AM
    While your in there look for your themes and make sure they are deleted as well. I have had issues with deleting them only to find they are still on my phone.
    Ok, I will. Doing a back-up now, just in case
    06-27-11 08:24 AM
    Alright folks! I removed the video and gained back the 20mb! Wooohoooo!

I also noticed cods for some themes that I had deleted, so I removed those too

Thank-you EVERYONE
    06-27-11 10:32 AM
    Alright folks! I removed the video and gained back the 20mb! Wooohoooo!

I also noticed cods for some themes that I had deleted, so I removed those too

Thank-you EVERYONE
    OK that's it. I'm gonna do the same thing right now!!!!
    Maybe I can recover some MBs too!!!!!
    06-27-11 10:35 AM
    OK that's it. I'm gonna do the same thing right now!!!!
    Maybe I can recover some MBs too!!!!!
    You go girl! I'm so thrilled to have my memory back...that is BB memory...MY memory is a different story
    middbrew likes this.
    06-27-11 10:41 AM
    You go girl! I'm so thrilled to have my memory back...that is BB memory...MY memory is a different story
    Well, no changes. Everything is off that I wanted off.So I'm not gaining any memory from BBSAK today!

Oh well. Not a problem. Things seem to be running well anyway....
    06-27-11 10:49 AM
23,186 ... 620621622623624 ...