Hey everybody,

Hope everyone had a great Father's Day. I have two new birdhouses to put up; hand painted gifts from my 5 year old grand son and and 3 year old grand daughter. Their 6 month old brother watched and supervised according to their mother. Grand child number 4 gave me a Brita water bottle for when grandpa goes golfing.

Also spent time at the mall this pm and spent an hour at Best Buy Mobile. I kept checking all the phones and android tablets. Nice stuff, fun tablets; but just could not get past my good ole Bold 9650. For all of RIM's current problems, I sure hope they pick things up and recognize just how valuable their customers are. We need those new releases sooner rather than later.

Hope everyone has a great week. Stay safe and sane.
    06-19-11 10:56 PM
    Morning Ramblers!!!

Hamster and I are comparing free memory. You know we are both theme hos and we have so many on our phones that we need some free memory so that when it drops, we are still in business.

I still have my drains at the end of the day but am living with it. She is considering using BB Boss again to shrink. She has got me thinking. If there is anything I can take off it, I will too. What about fonts? Do I need them all? for the browser? I could stand to gain some more space, too! When my phone drops to 160 at the end of the day, it locks up.

Any suggestions?
    06-20-11 08:06 AM
    Morning Ramblers!!!

Hamster and I are comparing free memory. You know we are both theme hos and we have so many on our phones that we need some free memory so that when it drops, we are still in business.

I still have my drains at the end of the day but am living with it. She is considering using BB Boss again to shrink. She has got me thinking. If there is anything I can take off it, I will too. What about fonts? Do I need them all? for the browser? I could stand to gain some more space, too! When my phone drops to 160 at the end of the day, it locks up.

Any suggestions?

I typically shrink out all the fonts. The system will keep what it requires, (in fact, you cannot delete the system fonts) so your browser, menus and such will still work. I'm sure that you already dumped the language files and most of the core apps that you don't use. Under Social/IM apps, I dump all, since I'm using beta or recently-released versions of BBM and FB. I add those newer apps after I reload.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure just how much real estate I'm getting back, after I dump the language, font and media files (videos, music, wallpapers and themes). Shane has said that those are the biggest storage hogs.

I have also found that I can get memory back by completely deleting emails when I've read them. Not just by dumping the message, but by purging the deleted message store. Just deleting a message doesn't really get rid of it. If you get messages with photos attached, they take up a lot more space. At the end of the day, before I drop my phone into the charging pod, I purge the deleted messages. From the menu in your message list, hit OPTIONS. Look for EMAIL RECONCILIATION, then open the menu to PURGE DELETED ITEMS. You have to select each email account individually. For whatever reason, the BB doesn't automatically dump that storage, and if I correctly recall, that storage survives a battery pull (correct me, somebody). Maybe there's an undelete function? At any rate, you'll see the difference if you have lots of large emails.
    Last edited by Underway99; 06-20-11 at 09:28 AM.
    hamsterwheel and jaydee5799 like this.
    06-20-11 09:12 AM
    OK Ramblers, so Hamster is urging me to post these directions I sent her. They are not rocket science but I figured out (with the help of these forums) how to save my themes in folders so I can install right from my media card instead of downloading from the internet via a browser and instead of having to plug into BBSAK to load a cod each time.

So here goes. I am left with a folder that I can use to load a theme and therefore...can delete many of them from my phone and not have them installed all the time. This way I can install quickly and still have my media card accessible and not laggy cause I plugged into my PC.

Here is what I do to create an OTA installer for themes from my media card:

I install all the themes I want to my phone.
    I back them up using BBSAK (Backup/Restore...Backup Apps).
    After BBSAK is done, go to c:/program files/bbsak/backup/whatever you named the backup file
    find the current backup and open the folder.
    Drag the cod file out of the folder onto your desktop.
    Once the cod is on the desktop, open BB BOSS.
    Last tab on BB Boss is called Create JAD/ALX. Click it open.
    I drag the cod file into the big open window where it says HINT: Drag file from desktop here.
    There is some info you need to fill in. Title of theme and check the radio button next to jad only.
    Then click on generate files.
    It will ask you where you want to save them. I usually save to the desktop.
    On the desktop, I create a folder named the theme name...ex Bridged
    Then I place in the folder, the cod, the htaccess file and the jad file (these last two are the ones that BB BOSS creates).
    This folder now can be moved to your media card.
    Repeat this procedure for every theme you want to save this way.
    Go back to the app BB Boss and clear all fields. Start again by dragging the next cod file, etc.

Hope this works for you!
    If anyone tries it, let me know.
    Thanks!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 06-20-11 at 04:52 PM.
    06-20-11 04:15 PM
    OK Ramblers, so Hamster is urging me to post these directions I sent her. They are not rocket science but I figured out (with the help of these forums) how to save my themes in folders so I can install right from my media card instead of downloading from the internet via a browser and instead of having to plug into BBSAK to load a cod each time.

So here goes. I am left with a folder that I can use to laod a theme and therefore...can delete many of them from my phone and not have them installed all the time. This way I can install quickly and still have my media card accessible and not laggy cause I plugged into my PC.

Here is what I do to create an OTA installer for themes from my media card:

I install all the themes I want to my phone.
    I back them up using BBSAK (Backup/Restore...Backup Apps).
    After BBSAK is done, go to c:/program files/bbsak/backup/whatever you named the backup file
    find the current backup and open the folder.
    Drag the cod file out of the folder onto your desktop.
    Once the cod is on the desktop, open BB BOSS.
    Last tab on BB Boss is called Create JAD/ALX. Click it open.
    I drag the cod file into the big open window where it says HINT: Drag file from desktop here.
    There is some info you need to fill in. Title of theme and check the radio button next to jad only.
    Then click on generate files.
    It will ask you where you want to save them. I usually save to the desktop.
    On the desktop, I create a folder named the theme name...ex Bridged
    Then I place in the folder, the cod, the htaccess file and the jad file (these last two are the ones that BB BOSS creates).
    This folder now can be moved to your media card.
    Repeat this procedure for every theme you want to save this way.
    Go back to the app BB Boss and clear all fields. Start again by dragging the next cod file, etc.

Hope this works for you!
    If anyone tries it, let me know.
    Thanks!!!
    This is awesome! I tried it and it works like a charm...Very detailed and clear for someone like me, lol! WTG, Jaydee and thanks again..
    Can't wait to gain some memory back, lol
    06-20-11 04:42 PM
    Those are very good instructions Jaydee. One thing I might say is you can back up the apps BB BOSS as well. You can also make the JAD files with BBSAK (although I have never gotten it to work).

You should add your write up to the Blackberry Tips, How-To & FAQ section. I think it would be of interest to a lot of people.
    Last edited by middbrew; 06-20-11 at 07:02 PM.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-20-11 06:54 PM
    Jaydee, your directions for placing themes in folders on your media card is absolutely perfect! This is a prime example as to why it is so incredibly asinine that this thread was reduced to the bottom of the barrel in the forum list. There is more information here than anywhere else on this website.

...and what is with the "like" button?? I would have asked the person to whom we should give credit that they had nothing else more valuable to do with their day than to create such impractical addition? Are we now to be given a lesson in the proper usage of "like" and "thanks"??
    Ok I'm done...sorry trying day...

PS Jaydee hope that was Ok with you that I responded the the WP request. I was posting a SS and happened across it!
    jaydee5799 and middbrew like this.
    06-20-11 07:37 PM
    One more thing Jaydee, you can do this with all of your apps as well. You also don't need to put them in a seperate folder if you don't want. Just an FYI.
    06-20-11 07:52 PM
    One more thing Jaydee, you can do this with all of your apps as well. You also don't need to put them in a seperate folder if you don't want. Just an FYI.
    Well yes you do need them in sep folders. How else do you keep the htaccess and jad file for each app (or theme) separate from the others?
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 06-20-11 at 08:05 PM.
    06-20-11 07:57 PM
    Oh, never mind. My bad you do need to have separate folders . lol
    06-20-11 08:00 PM
    ...and what is with the "like" button?? I would have asked the person to whom we should give credit that they had nothing else more valuable to do with their day than to create such impractical addition? Are we now to be given a lesson in the proper usage of "like" and "thanks"??
    Ok I'm done...sorry trying day...
    That was my thought too! "Like", "thanks", "believe", "want", where do the useless buttons stop.
    06-20-11 08:27 PM
    Really!! What is it with these buttons? We're so busy pressing like and thanks buttons that we can't write anything of substance on the website?

Weird!

How about ABHOR

There's a button we haven't seen. Oh wait. I'll use those for the powers that be....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    pcgizmo#IM and jules966 like this.
    06-20-11 08:35 PM
    Really!! What is it with these buttons? We're so busy pressing like and thanks buttons that we can't write anything of substance on the website?

Weird!

How about ABHOR

There's a button we haven't seen. Oh wait. I'll use those for the powers that be....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Boy! Don't you know it! These buttons have gotten a bit out of hand. There was a themer in the 9650 Themes thread that was just blasting a user for asking for a theme modification, but had not "thanked" him with the button. This was not the first time that this particular individual has gone off about using the "thanks" button. It apparently doesn't matter that you see "thank you" throughout the posts -- I guess it doesn't count if you don't hit the button. It's too bad, too. That guy has posted some nice work. I won't go near any of it.

Is it all about the "thanks" count on the forums home page? Since when did we care if our advice or not-so-wise words helped one user or a thousand? Is there a special prize for the user with the most "thanks" or "likes"?

I had to get that out. It's 0710 on Tuesday, and I haven't launched on anybody yet this week. This "thanks" button count as a commodity thing has had me spinning for weeks now. IMHO, those little buttons have no place here and need to be eliminated.

BTW, ensure you hit the "thanks" button when you've read this. I don't have very many...
    06-21-11 09:11 AM

Weird!

How about ABHOR

could this be it

Another way for the chronically insecure to measure their self-worth, right behind post counts and thanks counts? Maybe they count how many threads they lock too.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-21-11 09:20 AM
    Another way for the chronically insecure to measure their self-worth, right behind post counts and thanks counts? Maybe they count how many threads they lock too.

And maybe top banned people as well. I say let's give credit where credit is due.
    pcgizmo#IM and jaydee5799 like this.
    06-21-11 10:29 AM
    Can a Rambler help me with this?

I have no access to photobucket at work. I do have PB Mobile on my phone. If I use the wireless at work, I know PB Mobile is blocked as is everything else on the work network. Is there a way for me to bypass the wi-fi and use my VZW data?

Is it as simple as turning off wi-fi? I am afraid to ask. Is it that simple? Or doesn't it work that way?
    06-21-11 04:13 PM
    Yes. Just secure your WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-21-11 04:18 PM
    Yes. Just secure your WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you Underway!
    I can't believe I just figured that out. What a DOLT I am!!
    God I need summer vacation!!!!!!!
    06-21-11 04:22 PM
    Can a Rambler help me with this?

I have no access to photobucket at work. I do have PB Mobile on my phone. If I use the wireless at work, I know PB Mobile is blocked as is everything else on the work network. Is there a way for me to bypass the wi-fi and use my VZW data?

Is it as simple as turning off wi-fi? I am afraid to ask. Is it that simple? Or doesn't it work that way?
    That's be my guess, turn off wifi and go thru the mobile network. Post up your results.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-21-11 04:22 PM
    I have 11 likes...I'm so fulfilled.
    jaydee5799 and middbrew like this.
    06-21-11 04:54 PM
    I only have nine. Looks like the end for me...
    06-21-11 05:15 PM
    I only have nine. Looks like the end for me...
    Now you have 10!
    06-21-11 05:17 PM
    06-21-11 05:19 PM
    Just for that, YOU get another LIKE
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-21-11 05:21 PM
    Just for that, YOU get another LIKE

LMFAO
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    06-21-11 05:30 PM
23,186 ... 617618619620621 ...