Ha, thanks jaydee, but not an option for me. Currently at the mall excersising another optipon. Looking at new phones! Nothing works as well as my bold for any type of messaging. It's a keeper. FWIW the verizon csr's know the bold 9930 is coming, but not when. The one gal I spoke to is a BB addict thru and thru. She wants it also(the 9930 I mean)so patience for those of us with peeling trackpads and other infirmaties. The best thing about those touch phones in the store are the web experience with the bigger screen. That's it for me. They hold nothing else and the rest of using it is so frustrationg that imho my BB wins hands down. Just my 2cents.
    05-28-11 01:49 PM
    Jim,
    On Bold 1 of 5 (which I had for 6 months) my trackpad peeled entirely by month 2.
    I am now on Bold 5 of 5 and have had it what two months? Maybe three. It is starting to peel as well.

You made it an extraordinarily long time there buddy.
    Enjoy your shopping!!!
    05-28-11 03:29 PM
    I've been real lucky. I'm on my original Bold from last June. I have a little peeling on the outer edge of the chrome around the trackpad on the left side. Trackpad itself is not peeling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 03:49 PM
    Jim,
    On Bold 1 of 5 (which I had for 6 months) my trackpad peeled entirely by month 2.
    I am now on Bold 5 of 5 and have had it what two months? Maybe three. It is starting to peel as well.

You made it an extraordinarily long time there buddy.
    Enjoy your shopping!!!
    Done shopping and was really only looking. It's amazing when I look around a busy mall how many touch screen phones you see people using and then go into a verizon store and see 99% of the phones they offer are touch and the few with kb's , well the kb is really only for typing so touching is still necessary.
    I played with a trophy(wm7) and a casio ruggedized commando android. I really liked the rugged style of the casio, but the touch screen is such a turn off. Damn apple really popularized those things. I must say tho that the windows phone is a breath of fresh air over the android. I hear the "mango" upgrade is really going to give these a boost. I came to my bold via a touch pro 2 which I liked alot and I'd be tempted by another device as sweet as that one running a faster system.
    I'm hanging in for the BB bold touch to replace my quickly aging bold, but I wouldn't be adverse to a wm7 if this mango is all it is claimed to be. Oh and a real kb that actually allows screen nav and not just typing. Hopefully a 9930 will be here before xmas.
    05-28-11 03:59 PM
    Jim, I have always said I would need a physical keyboard and I have proved myself right.
    I recently purchased a Nook Color for an ereader.
    Well, you have to use a touch screen on it. It is a 7 inch tablet for god's sake and I still can't type or choose icons on it with my fingertips. I would be HORRIBLE with a 3x4 smartphone screen!!!!
    05-28-11 04:04 PM
    Jim, I have always said I would need a physical keyboard and I have proved myself right.
    I recently purchased a Nook Color for an ereader.
    Well, you have to use a touch screen on it. It is a 7 inch tablet for god's sake and I still can't type or choose icons on it with my fingertips. I would be HORRIBLE with a 3x4 smartphone screen!!!!
    My Nook arrived a few days ago. I played with it for a day or so, and have rooted it four times to get it running like I want. This is a very slick device!

05-28-11 05:26 PM
    My Nook arrived a few days ago. I played with it for a day or so, and have rooted it four times to get it running like I want. This is a very slick device!

Underway, I actually bought my Nook for a reading device
    But seriously, how hard was it to root? And what flavor bread did you put on it? Ginger? Banana? Walnut? And now can you still use it as a reader or just as a tablet?
    05-28-11 05:34 PM
    Underway, I actually bought my Nook for a reading device
    But seriously, how hard was it to root? And what flavor bread did you put on it? Ginger? Banana? Walnut? And now can you still use it as a reader or just as a tablet?
    There are lots of places out there that can walk you through it. I started here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...le-nook-color/ . You'll need to make an account on Android Central in order to see the links. I used the same username there.

I used something called "manualnooter-4-5-25". That gives you the ability to use the stock BN OS while having access to the full Android Market. I use it because I can now look at my Kindle books on the Nook. Cool huh? The Nook app for Android is even better than the native Nook app. Go figure. I can also load anything I want onto the Nook, instead of just using what I get from BN.

Go explore.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-28-11 05:59 PM
    Hey Ramblers!
    Happy Memorial Day weekend!
    Its been a full day of me living with 524 and I have to say I am liking the speed. I also did some housecleaning with my Battex skins...used to take almost 5 minutes to open the app (780 skins) and now with about 400 it opens in about 30 secs. I am freaking amazed that my berry can be so speedy.

I have been able to get back into one bbm group of my 4.
    I am afraid I am lost to the others for good. My phone just wont create the new group properly. Tells me I am the only member.

Hamster is working on getting me back into one but I dunno what will become of me. What a pain. Upgrade and loss your groups forever?? Hardly seems right.

Have a great holiday weekend guys! I started drinking gun and tonics again this weekend so I may be calming down a bit. LOL
    05-29-11 11:45 AM
    Quiet around here, guess everybody is out enjoying the holiday weekend. When your retired it's a seven day weekend every week.
    Jaydee, glad to hear your bold is working better. I guess I just don't understand the logic or need behind having so many diff skins and themes loaded on board. But glad to hear it's working better for you. So now maybe you can actually enjoy that gun+tonic instead of needing it.
    Underway and middbrew or anyone else loaded up Kings "primetime" hybrid?
    For whatever reason the past several hybrids I've loaded have always failed with an app loader error. Funny because the leaks and officials all load fine no problem. I'd like to kind of change things up a bit and give it a shot, but not expecting good results with the loading. the last time it failed I couldn;t even do the java swap because it gave me a 6.1 file incompatible error. So I dunno. I may give it a go later. The fail is always at the beginning so no harm done other than frustration and time wasted. Wish I knew what it was tho. I tried it with my usual shrinkage as I thought it was something I was removing, but it does it with no shrinkage as well and on both my laptops so it's not that. No clue why no one else seems bothered by it either. Any ideas guys?
    05-29-11 12:50 PM
    Happy Memorial Day Ramblers. Please take some time to remember the reason we celebrate this weekend.

05-29-11 01:09 PM
    Help me guys!!
    I plugged into DM with my bb to add an alx file. A theme Im supposed to be testing. I unplugged from the internet. Before I know it, DM is backing up my apps and erasing my bb and installing what?????????

I already put 524 on it.

what do I do know?
    Let it finish and then wipe and start my process all over again?
    I want the OS shrunk.
    05-29-11 01:54 PM
    Help me guys!!
    I plugged into DM with my bb to add an alx file. A theme Im supposed to be testing. I unplugged from the internet. Before I know it, DM is backing up my apps and erasing my bb and installing what?????????

I already put 524 on it.

what do I do know?
    Let it finish and then wipe and start my process all over again?
    I want the OS shrunk.
    I'm sure that, by now, you've let DM run its course and finish the reinstall. If it was a local installation of your shrunken 524, it should not have changed anything.
    05-29-11 02:49 PM
    Quiet around here, guess everybody is out enjoying the holiday weekend. When your retired it's a seven day weekend every week.
    Jaydee, glad to hear your bold is working better. I guess I just don't understand the logic or need behind having so many diff skins and themes loaded on board. But glad to hear it's working better for you. So now maybe you can actually enjoy that gun+tonic instead of needing it.
    Underway and middbrew or anyone else loaded up Kings "primetime" hybrid?
    For whatever reason the past several hybrids I've loaded have always failed with an app loader error. Funny because the leaks and officials all load fine no problem. I'd like to kind of change things up a bit and give it a shot, but not expecting good results with the loading. the last time it failed I couldn;t even do the java swap because it gave me a 6.1 file incompatible error. So I dunno. I may give it a go later. The fail is always at the beginning so no harm done other than frustration and time wasted. Wish I knew what it was tho. I tried it with my usual shrinkage as I thought it was something I was removing, but it does it with no shrinkage as well and on both my laptops so it's not that. No clue why no one else seems bothered by it either. Any ideas guys?
    I've not loaded the newest King hybrid. My Bold is running very well on the modified 524. Like you, I'm not sure that the hybrids really bring all that much to the table anymore.

EDIT: Now, having said that I don't plan to load KV6, I downloaded it anyway. You just don't know if it will be available later.
    Last edited by Underway99; 05-29-11 at 04:29 PM.
    05-29-11 02:50 PM
    I've not loaded the newest King hybrid. My Bold is running very well on the modified 524. Like you, I'm not sure that the hybrids really bring all that much to the table anymore.

EDIT: Now, having said that I don't plan to load KV6, I downloaded it anyway. You just don't know if it will be available later.
    Yeah, I tried to install again and got the same error. I'm done with hybrids, was more curious if it would work than anything else. My 524 w/466 radio is working better than anything else I've tried yet anyway.

TBH I'm going to trial an android device for a couple weeks and check out whether it's a good fit for me. If it is I'll keep it and maybe revisit BB when the 9930 is available. I'm usually never good for more than a year with any device before I need something diff. It's been just about a year for my bold which really is becoming quite dated spec wise.
    The casio(commando)(dumb name)is rugged-ized to military specs and has a bunch of back country features I think I will be able to use in the coming months. I'm constantly paranoid about getting my bold wet in the rain or something.
    I've never read so many positive reviews about any phone before so I'm thinking it might work for me. Gotta get used to the touch screen and typing is all. So we'll see how it goes.
    05-29-11 05:59 PM
    Underway, I let my stupid DM finish and it seems like it didn't add anything extra back on my phone. I half expected the vid to start playing and see all the memory gone but it isn't that way. Thank god!!!
    The one file i wanted to add was there and everything else had to be registered again. What a pain!

I will never use DM again for anything but backup.
    05-29-11 07:57 PM
    omg, Jaydee...what Just read up on what's been going on. I hope this bad juju is not here to stay. I'm glad it worked out though. Geez what a pain.

Have a great Memorial Day everyone!
    05-29-11 08:01 PM
    Underway, I let my stupid DM finish and it seems like it didn't add anything extra back on my phone. I half expected the vid to start playing and see all the memory gone but it isn't that way. Thank god!!!
    The one file i wanted to add was there and everything else had to be registered again. What a pain!

I will never use DM again for anything but backup.
    I've never had DM do anything that I've not set it up to do. I'll admit that I can't figure out how DM started to update your phone. To my knowledge, you can't make it do that. At any rate, I'm glad that you didn't really lose anything.
    05-29-11 08:24 PM
    I've never had DM do anything that I've not set it up to do. I'll admit that I can't figure out how DM started to update your phone. To my knowledge, you can't make it do that. At any rate, I'm glad that you didn't really lose anything.
    Ok well I imported one file for it to add. Then I saw a bunch of files it said it was going to update...OS files and ****e. Well, I disconnected from the internet because I figured it wouldn't be able to update. But NOOOOOO it did anyway. So whatever. DM is a POS as far as I'm concerned. I never liked using it and like it even less now. It's OTA or bust, baby.

Or BBSAK.
    05-29-11 09:05 PM
    JayDee, have you had the chance to play around with your Nook?
    05-30-11 07:57 PM
    JayDee, have you had the chance to play around with your Nook?
    Only to read with it! LOL

I don't think I am going to jailbreak or bread-ify it right now...LOL
    BTW, thank you for your service Underway...you are a military man, no? I'm not sure who else is from the other Ramblers, but wanted to thank you as I am pretty sure you are!

I did have a problem downloading books. Turns out I had two accounts at B&N and had books purchased under two emails. What a mess. I called and plead ignorance...which it WAS, and the gentleman was so nice to cancel my purchases under my old email and allow me to repurchase under the correct one. So now all my books show on my Nook. I do love the device and am still trying to learn how to use it.
    05-30-11 08:03 PM
    Only to read with it! LOL

I don't think I am going to jailbreak or bread-ify it right now...LOL
    BTW, thank you for your service Underway...you are a military man, no? I'm not sure who else is from the other Ramblers, but wanted to thank you as I am pretty sure you are!

I did have a problem downloading books. Turns out I had two accounts at B&N and had books purchased under two emails. What a mess. I called and plead ignorance...which it WAS, and the gentleman was so nice to cancel my purchases under my old email and allow me to repurchase under the correct one. So now all my books show on my Nook. I do love the device and am still trying to learn how to use it.
    I appreciate the thanks, JayDee. The Navy in peacetime is a great career. I'd do all 24 years again in a heartbeat. PC was Navy, too, during the first Gulf War.

I have my Nook rooted, but I'm not running any of the modded stuff. I did what I think they call a stock root (I'm still learning the Android and rooting terminology). That means that my OS is open to just about anything that I want to install instead of just having access to whatever BN wants me to load. So far, I've installed the free versions of Angry Birds, Adobe Reader, and the Kindle app. It seems kind of like a finger in BN's eye when I open a Kindle book on the Nook.

The cool thing with rooting is that you can unroot the thing and reload the stock OS, just like running a hybrid on your Bold. You'll try it.

Oh, by the way, if you root your Nook, you can load THEMES!
    05-30-11 08:25 PM
    Hey! Did Jim say he was going to a Droid???
    For a while?
    How sad! I hope he doesn't like it! lol
    05-30-11 08:50 PM
    Hey! Did Jim say he was going to a Droid???
    For a while?
    How sad! I hope he doesn't like it! lol
    I'm sure that Jim is just being thorough in making sure that the new Bold is the right device for him. I admit that I've thought about using one of my secondary upgrades on an Android device -- just to see how they really work.

05-30-11 09:58 PM
    I'm sure that Jim is just being thorough in making sure that the new Bold is the right device for him. I admit that I've thought about using one of my secondary upgrades on an Android device -- just to see how they really work.

Well, you guys know I am only joking when I say I hope you don't like it!
    I just will miss everyone so That I can't even think about it!
    05-31-11 06:18 AM
23,186 ... 606607608609610 ...